Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lately I've been hiking in the REI Co-op activator 3 pants and have found that this review is largely accurate - great shoulder season pants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Will REI warranty a 12 year old jacket? The outer became unbonded from the zipper. Otherwise not sure if I should try to glue this or sew it.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I would probably glue that back down myself with e6000. Clean the fabric on both sides, lay a nice smooth, thin layer of glue, press it with a weight for 24 hours.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Will REI warranty a 12 year old jacket? The outer became unbonded from the zipper. Otherwise not sure if I should try to glue this or sew it.

They will, because it’s a legacy item purchased before they changed their warranty. The warranty service is just a refund.

That said, I would consider 12+ years to be an acceptable lifespan of a jacket and buy a new one. Or take it to a tailor who may be able to fix it up.

edit: yeah or just glue it yourself.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 3, 2023

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Honestly, if you have access to a sewing machine, that's a pretty trivial fix. Just find a matching thread, wind the bobbin, unzip and align the fabric you want to sew together (pinning if necessary), wind the needle forward by hand, then reverse a few turns to lock the stitch, then just run the machine forward to the end, and backstitch that to lock it in. Five minute repair, ez pz.

Plus if you've gotten 12 years of use out of that thing, I'd consider that way more valuable than any refund you might potentially get. There are very few things we interact with anymore that provide a quality and meaningful life of use... anymore I try to hang onto and only buy things that meet that criteria. I'm also a big fan of Kintsugi, which translates to "fixed with gold". It's the idea that if you repair something like a broken pot, instead of trying to make it look seamless, highlight the cracks with gold dust worked into the repair, because it shows an object was actually cared about. And, it looks pretty neat to boot, highlighting the life and use of an object.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The REI Kingdom 6 is a very nice tent, but takes some time to set up.

It got down to 32 degrees the last two nights, but I was fine in my 40 degree sleeping bag with some layers and an extra blanket. My dog took the blanket on the second night and it wasn't too bad.

My kids slept halfway out of their sleeping bags and didn't seem to notice.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I have a dumb sleeping pad question: I'm 6'1, so I'm a tiny bit taller than most normal-sized 72" sleeping pads. I bought a long sleeping bag because I didn't want to feel crammed in, but what about a pad? Most long pads are 78", which feels a bit needlessly long. Am I better off going a little long, or using a regular-length pad and letting my feet maybe hang off a little? I suppose in colder weather I'd definitely want the extra length. I have a tent big enough to fit the extra length, so that's not a huge concern. I guess I just wanted to ask to make sure I'm not missing anything obvious.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Dick Burglar posted:

I have a dumb sleeping pad question: I'm 6'1, so I'm a tiny bit taller than most normal-sized 72" sleeping pads. I bought a long sleeping bag because I didn't want to feel crammed in, but what about a pad? Most long pads are 78", which feels a bit needlessly long. Am I better off going a little long, or using a regular-length pad and letting my feet maybe hang off a little? I suppose in colder weather I'd definitely want the extra length. I have a tent big enough to fit the extra length, so that's not a huge concern. I guess I just wanted to ask to make sure I'm not missing anything obvious.

Get the long pad

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Yeah don’t let your feet hang off, they’ll get cold. I’m just a little taller and the change from the regular pad to the long was truly night-and-day.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the part i struggled with was regular width vs wide (20" vs 25" or something) but then i concluded that im not sure my shoulders actually fit on 20"

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
6'1" The long pads and wider pads are so much more comfortable. One friend that used the 3/4 length pads used a larger pillow off the top which gave his legs more pad down below.

As an Empath...
Aug 19, 2022
Not sure if anyone is interested in an update but I posted in February about how my MSR Evo snowshoes broke after two months of use. Their customer service finally got back to me after three months and they're replacing the bindings at no cost. If I hadn't provided a screenshot of my receipt, it would have been $92 to repair them which is close to what I paid for them new (I bought them on Amazon for like $115). The person that helped me was extremely nice and, once they contacted me, the issue was resolved pretty quickly. So, I guess this is a PSA to save your receipts for MSR/Cascade gear.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Glad it worked out! I care but have no further comments.

For my own question:
We're camping this weekend with our kids, 4yo and 5mo. We camped with the older sister when she was that age and it went great and to this day she loves camping. But, baby brother is way more spit-uppy than she ever was. Will a sleeping bag liner protect our bags? I've never used one so idk how substantial they are.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Would a towel be out of the question? Seems easy and you probably already own one.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Oh yeah that's a much better idea, already what we do around the house.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

alnilam posted:

Glad it worked out! I care but have no further comments.

For my own question:
We're camping this weekend with our kids, 4yo and 5mo. We camped with the older sister when she was that age and it went great and to this day she loves camping. But, baby brother is way more spit-uppy than she ever was. Will a sleeping bag liner protect our bags? I've never used one so idk how substantial they are.

you already have your other solution to use a towel but, to answer your question, my sleeping bag liner is about as thick as thermal underwear. Not substantial at all, and meant to maximize heat while minimizing mass.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I used snow suits as sleeping bags for my kids when they were little. You can probably wash those easier than a sleeping bag.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Osprey is having a pretty huge sale right now. Seeing lots of stuff for ~50% off.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Osprey is having a pretty huge sale right now. Seeing lots of stuff for ~50% off.

Where are you looking? Maybe it's just the items I'm looking for, but I'm seeing stuff at normal prices at REI, Backcountry, and Osprey's own site.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/category/sale/

They may have sold out of some things, but I saw enough that I thought it was worth mentioning. A lot of stores seem to be gearing up for the combo of REI's sale and Memorial Day. The other day Moosejaw had a big discount on Cotopaxi stuff but it sold out before I ordered anything.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

My daypack is 15+ years old and still almost good enough (minus deteriorating rain cover and mesh pockets), but new daypacks look so different I have no idea what I'm looking at. The look like alien eggs now.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ive got so much gear at this point that I never really need anything which saddens my inner gear hoarder.

That said.... In an effort to put off buying a pop up camper I was looking at those big screen tents that people use over picnic tables for car camping. Anyone have a model they like? They all pretty much look like they'd fold in high winds from what Ive seen.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

My daypack is 15+ years old and still almost good enough (minus deteriorating rain cover and mesh pockets), but new daypacks look so different I have no idea what I'm looking at. The look like alien eggs now.

Osprey in particular looks overly technical, but they are so well made that I have several of them. Trying to branch out from them though. They do have these heritage bags now:

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/featur...iAaAq3_EALw_wcB

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just wish Osprey would come out with a photography pack line. Everything they make is pretty great but afaik they don't have a single pack with rear loading which means none of their lineup can really be adapted to lugging bulky camera junk.

It's certainly not an underserved market, there are tons of photography frame packs out there. But I want to see how osprey would solve it, dangit.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

xzzy posted:

I just wish Osprey would come out with a photography pack line. Everything they make is pretty great but afaik they don't have a single pack with rear loading which means none of their lineup can really be adapted to lugging bulky camera junk.

It's certainly not an underserved market, there are tons of photography frame packs out there. But I want to see how osprey would solve it, dangit.

I agree. I feel like camera bag companies make terrible bags for hiking etc whereas hiking companies either dont make, or make terrible photo backpacks.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Ive got so much gear at this point that I never really need anything which saddens my inner gear hoarder.

That said.... In an effort to put off buying a pop up camper I was looking at those big screen tents that people use over picnic tables for car camping. Anyone have a model they like? They all pretty much look like they'd fold in high winds from what Ive seen.

I have an Ozark Trail one and its functional, but its not as nice as the Coleman? one that they have at Costco.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

There are also screen walls you can get as an add-on for some pop-up canopies, if maybe that's more stable in the wind.

Something like an e-z up with this add-on https://www.ezup.com/food-booth-sidewall-wrap-around.html

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Verman posted:

I agree. I feel like camera bag companies make terrible bags for hiking etc whereas hiking companies either dont make, or make terrible photo backpacks.

I bought this bag a couple of years ago and have been very pleased with it. I also struggled for years trying to find a bag that was good as both a backpack and a camera bag and this is the only one that’s worked well for me. You can remove the top to make it more like a daypack, or it expands if you need more space for a longer trip. It might be tight with a DSLR, but I fit an A7iii and 3 lenses in the camera compartment with no issue.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

BaseballPCHiker posted:

A few years ago I bought the coleman 12' screened canopy, but it's honestly just too much. The weight and size are such that I just don't bother hauling it anywhere unless it's a group thing. Even though it's car camping, lightweight is still worth it.

All that being said I just recently caved and am in the process of buying a camper right now anyways, so, you know, a popup might not be the worst idea in the world. Just sayin.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

xzzy posted:

There are backpacking style packs for backcountry skiing/snowboarding where you can unzip the entire part of the pack that normally rests against your back (front-loading, I guess?). They are made that way to make things easy to get when you've got skis on the back, but they may not be a bad option for you. Not sure if osprey makes any. One I have like this is the Mammut Trion.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lol, I have so much car camping junk. The last trip we tried to take as few things as we needed, and it was still too much. Now I'm trying to shrink everything down like "maybe we can just have a single burner stove" or "maybe we can just do all of the cooking over the fire" or "are the self inflating sleep pads really any better" or "this rotomolded cooler is so bulky and heavy and really isn't necessary for two nights". Especially since I'm getting rid of my truck and downsizing vehicles.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Morbus posted:

There are backpacking style packs for backcountry skiing/snowboarding where you can unzip the entire part of the pack that normally rests against your back (front-loading, I guess?). They are made that way to make things easy to get when you've got skis on the back, but they may not be a bad option for you. Not sure if osprey makes any. One I have like this is the Mammut Trion.

For some reason the convention is to call it "back loading". I guess because the part that sits against your back is the part that opens?

I've been using a mammut trion for like six years and it has served me well. But I've never found a camera organizer that fits it perfectly. And camera specific gear like Shimoda is fine.. but it feels like it does too much and comes with the photography upcharge. If someone such as Osprey were to make a go of it I bet it'd be rad.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Lol, I have so much car camping junk. The last trip we tried to take as few things as we needed, and it was still too much. Now I'm trying to shrink everything down like "maybe we can just have a single burner stove" or "maybe we can just do all of the cooking over the fire" or "are the self inflating sleep pads really any better" or "this rotomolded cooler is so bulky and heavy and really isn't necessary for two nights". Especially since I'm getting rid of my truck and downsizing vehicles.

I used to bring essentially the same stuff whether I was car camping or backpacking. It makes for a pretty austere camping experience, but that's what I've always been used to. In the past few years my car camping collection has ballooned so much that it's become much easier to go on a simple backpacking trip versus bringing all the junk to be "comfortable" in a campground.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I have one of these https://www.wandrd.com/products/prvke and it’s very not a backpacking bag but it is excellent and they do also make backpacking bags with photography features

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I used to bring essentially the same stuff whether I was car camping or backpacking. It makes for a pretty austere camping experience, but that's what I've always been used to. In the past few years my car camping collection has ballooned so much that it's become much easier to go on a simple backpacking trip versus bringing all the junk to be "comfortable" in a campground.

Haha we're going through exactly the same thing... started car camping a lot more after having kids (we do still backpack sometimes though!) and it took us a full year to realize we can bring real pillows instead of stuffing clothes in a sack. Then we got a table, Coleman stove, starting bringing regular kitchen equipment, and now it's kinda getting too big. We're currently assessing how to slim down our setup for a week long family dirtbag trip we're taking next month, and also more dedicated and pre packed stuff for quicker packing on short weekend getaways.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
By the way, the REI Anniversary Sale began today, I've just discovered.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

guppy posted:

By the way, the REI Anniversary Sale began today, I've just discovered.

Thanks for this, picked up an UL pack and some base layers.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Also you can sometimes find better deals on Backcountry, Moosejaw, etc. who are running competing sales btw

Use google shopping if you're looking for a specific item.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I am actually pretty disappointed in this sale. Most of these prices, even on sale, are not impressive. This has unfortunately been true every "biggest sale of the year" REI sale I've ever looked at. The 20% off anything not on sale thing could be nice, I guess, depending on what you need, but it doesn't merit the hype it gets. As mentioned, the few specific things I'm interested in, Backcountry and Moosejaw both seem to have better prices. Although Backcountry once sent me a completely different color of something than I ordered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My 13 year old REI Flash 22 finally burst a seam and is generally not looking great but would you look at that the new models are on sale.

They still as good or better as they used to be?