Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

OddObserver posted:

Remember the guy who leaked documents for discord cred? Well, looks like discipline may be as bad as compartmentlization in there:
https://twitter.com/KenDilanianNBC/status/1659162367823863809

He was also (surprise surprise) a racist, anti semitic, gun obsessed turbo chud even before joining the military. In fact he was so bad that he was worried that it would affect his ability to get a clearance when he joined the military. But nope they cleared him fine. But ya know if he was an evil weed smoker it would have been a whole different story.

I really hope the military understands the security risk they have now and does something to address it. This isn't like the cold war when a very small percentage of the population had sympathies for the communist cause. And an even smaller percentage of that population had access to classified information to pass on to the Russians. Now Russia is the leader of the right wing world and there's a huge percentage of the American population that has gone full fascist. And they also make up a sizeable amount of the military. If this Jack Texeria kid wasn't siphoning off Intel to the Russians (and there's no indication yet that he was) who's to say there isn't some other turbo chud in the military with top secret clearance that is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Mostly that the Russian State can't organise a piss up in a brewery right now.

The Chinese, on the other hand...

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I think labeling far-right chuds as security risks because Russia is deeply invested in right-ring ideology misses a more fundamental reason. They are security risks because the ideology has embraced the notion that government as an institution is their enemy (even when being lead by one of their own). They'd find ways to hurt their own country even without foreign influence.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Slashrat posted:

I think labeling far-right chuds as security risks because Russia is deeply invested in right-ring ideology misses a more fundamental reason. They are security risks because the ideology has embraced the notion that government as an institution is their enemy (even when being lead by one of their own). They'd find ways to hurt their own country even without foreign influence.

This makes sense to me, which is quite hosed up when you think about it. It does kinda put them at odds with the whole fascism bit though, doesn't it? Where does working to gently caress over your own country fit into the whole ultra-nationalism bit that fascism is supposed to have at its core?

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1659313036245495808?s=20

Russia has the convenient excuse of saying it shot down its own jets.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Well, the fash often want to "purify" the country from "undesirables", so there is a lot of room for hurting their countrymen.

Anyway:
https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1659308318920171520

... So, one half is encouraging, another half... well, it would explain those 4 shootdowns and how fixated they seem to be on the battery. I was almost inclined to complain about them talking too much, but I imagine the Russians could probably figure it out from rocket fragments.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

FMguru posted:

The Guardian article on this has the before-and-after pictures on a slider so you can see the changes over time

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2023/may/18/stark-before-and-after-images-reveal-the-obliteration-of-bakhmut

Jesus Christ

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

cr0y posted:

Jesus Christ

The people who went into this conflict saying "remember grozny? ready for russia to keep groznying?" had a complete assessment of what future cruelties would be exercised by russia

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Kavros posted:

The people who went into this conflict saying "remember grozny? ready for russia to keep groznying?" had a complete assessment of what future cruelties would be exercised by russia

True. Same thing in Syria, really.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

OddObserver posted:

Well, the fash often want to "purify" the country from "undesirables", so there is a lot of room for hurting their countrymen.

True, but usually that is restricted only to said "undesireables" and not the nation as a whole. In other words they are prioritizing their racism over the nation they are supposedly doing said racism for. Then again that is pretty much what the Nazis did too, diverting so much manpower and resources to mass murder when the military was desperately short of manpower. Really goes to show that the fash are incompetent hateful morons. Or, to use their own terminology, the fascists are themselves "undesireables".

FMguru posted:

The Guardian article on this has the before-and-after pictures on a slider so you can see the changes over time

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2023/may/18/stark-before-and-after-images-reveal-the-obliteration-of-bakhmut

gently caress...

On a related note, rebuilding Ukraine is going to take some serious work. I've been wondering for a while now if that 300B or so of frozen Russian cash could just be passed to Ukraine as part of or the entirety of the rebuild fund? I must admit I don't know what legal issues would need to be tackled to make that happen, but it seems like a good way to make Russia have to pay for what they have done rather than having the entire effort be shouldered by Ukraine or Benefactor nations.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Yureina posted:

This makes sense to me, which is quite hosed up when you think about it. It does kinda put them at odds with the whole fascism bit though, doesn't it? Where does working to gently caress over your own country fit into the whole ultra-nationalism bit that fascism is supposed to have at its core?

None of the far-right, from this leaker idiot right up to the federal representatives, Trump included, have any plan but "screw them, I do what I want" absolutely to the point of self-destruction. See all the mass-shooters who are basically just trying to suicide-by-cop and make a big flashy exit that people will notice. See Republican gutting education and infrastructure so hard that the military can't get enough recruits for the more difficult jobs, and industries lose billions to failing roads and electrical grids. See anti-vaxxers dying by the thousands or being cut off from seeing their kids/grandkids.

Foreign efforts to co-op this aren't the main danger, this self-destructive mindset is the primary danger on its own, but Russia and China are throwing extra fuel on the fire.

More on-topic, looks like some more sabotage missions popping off in Crimea:

https://twitter.com/TreasChest/status/1659207322936410112?s=20

Orthanc6 fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 18, 2023

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Interesting thread on Patriot and claimed Ukrainian interception rates:
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1658857929322242048.html

Basically the rates reported by Ukraine are unrealistic but that doesn't mean that the Patriot isn't cost effective:

quote:

During the 1991 Gulf War the US said it intercepted 45 of 47 Scuds fired by Iraq. It later turned out that the number was much, much lower than that.

In particular its possible for the missiles to track and "hit" phantom targets.

Which also led me to this claim about the damage being from roof tiles, not sure how credible that is though:
https://twitter.com/JonHawkes275/status/1659096452721721344

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Cross posting from the GIP thread. But, I feel like arresting your own hypersonic weapons scientists for "treason" is a quintessentially Russia act. :hmmyes:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/kremlin-says-three-scientists-face-very-serious-accusations-treason-case-2023-05-17/

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Of course the interception rates Ukraine claims are unrealistic - they would have to have deflector shields or SDI to be consistently shooting down 99%-100% of every Russia strike. We see the impact of strikes, so some are clearly getting through.

They're exagerrating their kills to shape the narrative. Just like they are with their claims of Russian casualties.

This is perfectly natural. Everyone has done this in war since forever. They don't do it to anywhere near the same insane degree that Russia does. But they do do it.

Keep it in mind and take their kill and interception claims with a pinch of salt.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Tigey posted:

Of course the interception rates Ukraine claims are unrealistic - they would have to have deflector shields or SDI to be consistently shooting down 99%-100% of every Russia strike. We see the impact of strikes, so some are clearly getting through.

They're exagerrating their kills to shape the narrative. Just like they are with their claims of Russian casualties.

This is perfectly natural. Everyone has done this in war since forever. They don't do it to anywhere near the same insane degree that Russia does. But they do do it.

Keep it in mind and take their kill and interception claims with a pinch of salt.

OTOH, interception rates in Kyiv are very high because people do report those things, so it's somewhat possible to see where they're fudging numbers some and where they are not (e.g. yesterday, there were probably no hits in Kyiv but probably some in Odesa and Khmelnytsky and one other city I forgot... so the claim of shooting down all but one is probably false, but the claim of shooting down all near the capital is probably true)... And comparisons on Patriot rates are iffy since it's hardly the only system involved.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

Cross posting from the GIP thread. But, I feel like arresting your own hypersonic weapons scientists for "treason" is a quintessentially Russia act. :hmmyes:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/kremlin-says-three-scientists-face-very-serious-accusations-treason-case-2023-05-17/

It was soviet de facto policy to force prominent engineers/scientists/etc to work on state projects (nuke programs were one) by arresting them and then sending them to a closed city to do the work

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Well like I said before they are able to track and target these things from the moment they launch far inside Russia so they have a very long time to correctly plot their trajectory and intercept. Stuff that can move away in time they do, other stuff they just intercept. Things would be much, much different if Russia was launching them less than 100km from the targets.

Think of it this way, if someone rolls a giant boulder towards you and you are a mile away you got plenty of time to move out of the way. If they do it and they are 20 feet away, you are going to have a bad day.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Djarum posted:

Think of it this way, if someone rolls a giant boulder towards you and you are a mile away you got plenty of time to move out of the way. If they do it and they are 20 feet away, you are going to have a bad day.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Yureina posted:

To get back to this; the chuds don't see any conflict between sticking it to the government and being patriots because in their worldview the nation in reality consists only of themselves and those who think like them, while government and society has been taken over by traitors and foreign infiltrators. There are elements of ultra-nationalism in what they do, but the nation they do those things in service of is imaginary.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
MAGA is all for the police state, until the police state raises a hand against them and then we need to defund the FBI. If you aren't pushing MAGAs goals, you're a traitor and need to be removed. The republican party can never get its poo poo together because McCarthy doesn't have Pelosi's ability to tell the more radical wing of her caucus to hush and accept what good things Pelosi's willing to give them. Try that on a radical republican and you're immediately declared a RINO and might as well be joining Sanders on his next speaking tour about the glories of trans-warping kids so they'll become good communards for all you belong in the party.

killer_robot fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 19, 2023

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Slashrat posted:

To get back to this; the chuds don't see any conflict between sticking it to the government and being patriots because in their worldview the nation in reality consists only of themselves and those who think like them, while government and society has been taken over by traitors and foreign infiltrators. There are elements of ultra-nationalism in what they do, but the nation they do those things in service of is imaginary.

killer_robot posted:

MAGA is all for the police state, until the police state raises a hand against them and then we need to defund the FBI. If you aren't pushing MAGAs goals, you're a traitor and need to be removed. The republican party can never get its poo poo together because McCarthy doesn't have Pelosi's ability to tell the more radical wing of her caucus to hush and accept what good things Pelosi's willing to give them. Try that on a radical republican and you're immediately declared a RINO and might as well be joining Sanders on his next speaking tour about the glories of trans-warping kids so they'll become good communards for all you belong in the party.

The dipshit leaker is relevant to the topic but this is not, please do not continue the american politics derail

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

AlternateNu posted:

Eh, people in high places being caught up by their lies and finding ways to blame/discipline their underlings after poo poo happens isn't exactly a Russian trademark, it's corruption 101. In this particular case, and considering the domestic target audience, the choice of treason seems to make sense since it explains the mishap without requiring lies/corruption/incompetence.

That said, the idea that scientists can't be trusted at international conferences does bring back shades of the Soviet during the cold war, with KGB minders and family left home as insurance.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCdmKFrDOso

The real reasons might never be known, but I thought this was a pretty decent summary of the political powerplay surrounding the Bakhmut quagmire.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Lum_ posted:

RUSSIA

• Lukashenko - President of Belarus, Batka, we all must love him and despair
  • Putin - President and Maximum Leader of Russia, in charge of Russian war effort
  • Shoigu - Minister of Defense of Russia, minority (Tuvan), pretends to be in charge of Russian war effort
  • Surovikin - General known for being exceptionally brutal, was once in charge of Ukraine front but got fired, Prigozhin ally
  • Gerasimov - Chief of Staff of Russian army, in charge of Ukraine front, Shoigu ally
  • Prigozhin - head of Wagner, pretends to be in charge of Russian war effort, ex-convict, has Big Poster Energy
  • Kadyrov - head of Chechnya, minority (Chechen), pretends to be in charge of Russian war effort, really dumb and brutal, Prigozhin ally

UKRAINE
  • Zelensky - President of Ukraine, has vowed to never wear a suit until Ukraine is free, ex-comedian
  • Reznikov - Minister of Defense of Ukraine, likes to talk to the press a lot
  • Zaluzhnyi - Commander in Chief of Ukraine army, in charge of Ukraine war effort
  • Budanov - head of Ukraine military intelligence
  • Fedorov - Minister of Digital Transformation, in charge of memes

too lazy to write up but worth adding:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolai_Patrushev
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Bortnikov
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dmitry_Rogozin
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igor_Girkin
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igor_Sechin
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Solovyov_(TV_presenter)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1659526582757732354
Zelenskyy doing a lot more travelling lately. Can't say I have much hope that the ruling class of the various Middle East kingdoms consistently do The Right Thing and not just lip service.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I mean the last time I saw the Saudi government react to someone who stood up for self-determination, 'he' moonwalked out of an embassy while simultaneously leaving in a suitcase.

Hopefully Zelenskiy fares better.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
The Saudis have a legitimate interest in isolating Russia and their oil sales at least.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Pook Good Mook posted:

The Saudis have a legitimate interest in isolating Russia and their oil sales at least.

I was thinking that too. Keep Russian oil off the western market and their oil is kept at a higher price. But wouldn't that make them want to prolong the conflict... Or are they more worried about a tanking economy hurting them more...

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Must be a stop on his way to Japan, they announced he's going to attend the G-7 in person.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Don't forget that Russia has buddied up with Iran and is buying weapons from them, which in the past has been an extremely effective way to get on SA's poo poo list.

Not sure if that still holds as true these days since there was that recent announcement that Iran and SA are restoring diplomatic ties.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Shifty Pony posted:

Don't forget that Russia has buddied up with Iran and is buying weapons from them, which in the past has been an extremely effective way to get on SA's poo poo list.

[Russia was probated for this purchase] [Russia can not post for the next 6 hours.]

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Moon Slayer posted:

Must be a stop on his way to Japan, they announced he's going to attend the G-7 in person.

He’s gotta go that way anyway, it’s not like he’s flying over Russia to get there.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Shifty Pony posted:

Not sure if that still holds as true these days since there was that recent announcement that Iran and SA are restoring diplomatic ties.

Just because the Saudis and the Ayatollahs haven't been calling each other the scum of the earth for a hot minute doesn't mean they've forgotten their respective geopolitical interests.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Pablo Bluth posted:

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1659526582757732354
Zelenskyy doing a lot more travelling lately. Can't say I have much hope that the ruling class of the various Middle East kingdoms consistently do The Right Thing and not just lip service.

This seems reckless, the Russians have a lot of pull in that region and SA isn’t exactly a good faith actor. Send a delegate next time.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

wet_goods posted:

This seems reckless, the Russians have a lot of pull in that region and SA isn’t exactly a good faith actor. Send a delegate next time.

It's especially weird considering SA's political realignment. They're currently lobbying to join BRICS, and funding R's enemies would probably not look good on the application.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Cpt_Obvious posted:

It's especially weird considering SA's political realignment. They're currently lobbying to join BRICS, and funding R's enemies would probably not look good on the application.

Why would Goldman Sachs analysts mind?

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

wet_goods posted:

People respect strength and face to face meetings. It may be intended to show a contrast between him and Putin, who is hiding and isolated even from his own people. There definitely is some risk, but if he wanted to avoid risk he would have escaped to western countries during the siege of Kyiv.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

why would Saudi Arabia bonesaw the president of Ukraine?

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Seems like the crawl toward sending jets to Ukraine is still underway. If a Patriot can shoot down one of Russian's jets over Russian territory, then why not just let Ukrainians do it with American jet?!
https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1659564322224308224?s=20

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1659565962276773888?s=20

Saw this update yesterday but ISW added some of their 2 cents, for what that's worth nowadays:
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1659576896105897987?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

wet_goods posted:

Somehow I don't think MBS is going to flush a president backed by the US down a basement drain