Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Perrin didn't love Egwene, he loved Rand. He shows up at Egwene's stuff because he knows Rand will be there. There's a love triangle but it's bi as gently caress.

Edit: he looks at Egwene because she took his man and he's jealous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ChubbyChecker posted:

yeah, there was a needless love triangle

Where? It's definitely not perrin, rand, and egwene because that was just nyneave being a poo poo and is dismissed on screen by the members of the supposed triangle like 2 scenes later.

Nynaeve, Lan, and his sword?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Dropping little hints that Thom and Moraine like each other and will get together after 13 books, totally fine. Perrin trying to white knight Egwene in the tv show and getting into a spat with Rand about it, how loving dare you pretend there was anything there.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

pik_d posted:

Perrin didn't love Egwene, he loved Rand. He shows up at Egwene's stuff because he knows Rand will be there. There's a love triangle but it's bi as gently caress.

Edit: he looks at Egwene because she took his man and he's jealous

Wait, wait, are there people who don't think that Rand and Mat were bangin' on their road trip back to civilization?

This is very unsettling.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Mad Hamish posted:

Wait, wait, are there people who don't think that Rand and Mat were bangin' on their road trip back to civilization?

This is very unsettling.

Well of course, why else would it be a rainbow swirl of colors when they think about each other

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Invalid Validation posted:

Dropping little hints that Thom and Moraine like each other and will get together after 13 books, totally fine. Perrin trying to white knight Egwene in the tv show and getting into a spat with Rand about it, how loving dare you pretend there was anything there.

This isnt the gotcha you think it is.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I know one was written by a competent writer and another by a hack.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Some of you are exhausting. Anyways the wheel of time is a great series

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Too subtle for TV though

Can't wait for Verin's relationship drama

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Ya'all realize that "She laughed at his jokes, this means he's into him" is a thing really dumb and lovely dudes do right? You're basing this entire theory on something we tell people not to do to barristas.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

pik_d posted:

Well of course, why else would it be a rainbow swirl of colors when they think about each other

Yes, exactly.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

th3t00t posted:

You all need to re-watch the show.

They very deliberately start dropping hints as early as the 13 minute mark of episode 1, that at minimum Perrin has been carrying a torch for Egwene.

The scene where Nynaeve scolds Perrin for leaving his wife at the forge all day, while he's been at the inn to "celebrate Egwene". And the scene ends with him giving Egwene a long stare, then cuts to him and his wife at the forge. And there's obviously tension between the two of them over Egwene.

Yes, you're right. You're the Most Right Poster.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CainFortea posted:

Ya'all realize that "She laughed at his jokes, this means he's into him" is a thing really dumb and lovely dudes do right? You're basing this entire theory on something we tell people not to do to barristas.

?

???

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Moiraine the Barista was laughing at Thom the gross horny man's jokes

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gross dudes do this thing where some customer facing job lady will smile and laugh while interacting with them for their job. These dudes will take this to mean "She's totally into me as a romantic interest" and then typically creep on her for a while longer and either chicken out, while still creeping as often as they can, or make a scene when they try to ask them out and get shot down.

They think this way because they can't conceive of a woman being nice to them unless it's for horny reasons.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
The reason they think this is because “laughs at jokes == romantic interest” is a common literary/TV device. No author would waste time on all the social interactions that don’t matter to the story, so any time something like this does come up, it’s probably because it matters to the story somehow.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CainFortea posted:

Gross dudes do this thing where some customer facing job lady will smile and laugh while interacting with them for their job. These dudes will take this to mean "She's totally into me as a romantic interest" and then typically creep on her for a while longer and either chicken out, while still creeping as often as they can, or make a scene when they try to ask them out and get shot down.

They think this way because they can't conceive of a woman being nice to them unless it's for horny reasons.

These are fictional characters?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Shageletic posted:

The ones in the book? Yes. The book characters are fictional.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Shageletic posted:

And more importantly, Thom isn't in a position of power over Moiraine, and there's multiple data points throughout the series as to their relationship; it's not just the one laugh, they're clearing fencing with each other from their first meeting at the beginning of Eye.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

If the barista in the example ended up asking the customer out it recontextualizes the laughter. Moiraine does this after Thom helps save her from the Tower of Ghenji.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

pik_d posted:

If the barista in the example ended up asking the customer out it recontextualizes the laughter. Moiraine does this after Thom helps save her from the Tower of Ghenji.

Not really no. The claim is about the author's intent, which given the nature of linear time means that it can't be recontextualized. It happened or it didn't.

Also moiraine isn't in this example at all.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

CainFortea posted:

Not really no. The claim is about the author's intent, which given the nature of linear time means that it can't be recontextualized. It happened or it didn't.

Also moiraine isn't in this example at all.

Correct, it's a completely different situation so the laughing barista has nothing to do with Moiraine.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

What on earth is this even about anymore

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

pik_d posted:

Correct, it's a completely different situation so the laughing barista has nothing to do with Moiraine.

Right. That's literally what I said. My example wasn't describing moiraine and tom.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

CainFortea posted:

Right. That's literally what I said. My example wasn't describing moiraine and tom.

Was this not about Moiraine and Thom?

CainFortea posted:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

pik_d posted:

Was this not about Moiraine and Thom?

There is no example in either of the posts you quoted.

The example comes after those posts.

Specifically in response to this post.

You can tell it's in response to this post because I quoted it.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

No, everyone understood exactly what you meant with this part. This was the "example".

CainFortea posted:

something we tell people not to do to barristas.

No one agreed that there was an equivalency between that and Moiraine.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

pik_d posted:

No, everyone understood exactly what you meant with this part. This was the "example".

No one agreed that there was an equivalency between that and Moiraine.

That isn't an example.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

who killed Asmodean

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Me

His music sucks

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

They're debating the nuances of a lovely TV show

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

His Divine Shadow posted:

They're debating the nuances of a lovely TV show
I think they’re talking about the episode where Perrin creeped on a barista because she laughed at his joke. But then she crossed her arms beneath her breasts because he didn’t even leave a tip. And due to the authors intent and the linear nature of time, none of it ever happened.

Hope that helps op

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Baristas are darkfriends, got it

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Dark Coffee Lord

Lord of the Graveyard Shift

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Data Graham posted:

Baristas are darkfriends, got it

That lines up with the show since Dana The Bar-ista was a Darkfein.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

She was skinny so of course she was.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The best part of waking up is saidin in your cup?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I asked for extra taint

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Shageletic posted:

I asked for extra taint

Did you get mad when you didn't get it? Or when you did?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

tsob posted:

Did you get mad when you didn't get it? Or when you did?

I mostly got angry because my cup said Lews Therin instead of al-Thor

Just got to Elyas introduction. What a great scene, full of tension, and wickedly good world building. He's such a great character, really pops off the page.