Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Enos Cabell posted:

Rumors are that Apple's headset is going to be in the $3k+ range. Can't imagine they are targeting anyone but business users at that price.

https://www.pcgamer.com/im-a-vr-evangelist-and-even-i-baulk-at-the-rumoured-price-of-apples-so-good-vr-headset

counterpoint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
I've been having some issues with the Quest Pro, curious if others have as well:

1. Sometimes when I put it on and unsuspend it, the display powers on but shows nothing. If I press the home button, the menu opening sound plays but the display stays blank. I've tried long-pressing the home button to recentre the view, but again everything stays blank. I have to long-press the power button to turn the headset off, then turn it on again to get video back. I'd say this happens at least once per week.

2. The charging cradle doesn't always charge the headset. The headset power indicator does light up, but when I go to play Beat Saber later in the week the battery is dead. A couple of times I've plugged in the old Vive belt-battery as a backup and played that way, but it really sucks.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Snackmar posted:

I've been having some issues with the Quest Pro, curious if others have as well:

1. Sometimes when I put it on and unsuspend it, the display powers on but shows nothing. If I press the home button, the menu opening sound plays but the display stays blank. I've tried long-pressing the home button to recentre the view, but again everything stays blank. I have to long-press the power button to turn the headset off, then turn it on again to get video back. I'd say this happens at least once per week.

I started using my Quest 2 again after not using it for about 5 or 6 months and it does this same thing.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Kalman posted:

Because the iPhone is designed for left handed use.

Holy poo poo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Thoatse posted:

counterpoint:

What're they photographing there?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What're they photographing there?

apple's $1000 monitor stand

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Bigscreen Beyond or the Apple Pro Monitor Stand?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TIP posted:

apple's $1000 monitor stand

:lol:

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Snackmar posted:

I believe this has to do with a bug in its "on your face" detection algorithm. Try unsuspending it first and then putting it on as a workaround. As I understand it, the bug showed up in the v50 system software and was fixed by v53, so it should resolve on its own in a week or two if you haven't got the update yet.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Irony.or.Death posted:

I've been told I just had exceptionally bad timing/luck on this front, and some of it is probably down to familiarity with other devices coloring my experience, but I've hated every piece of apple hardware I've interacted with. The standout memories are : 1. horizontally even power and...volume, I think? buttons on my work iphone that take a screenshot when pressed simultaneously, so half the time I'm trying to hit the power button to kill a spam call or turn the screen off I end up with a screenshot instead; 2. the worst laptop keyboard I've ever touched. It was like 1mm keys with no tactile feedback on press; and 3. one-button mouse.

I can believe this was just the world's most unfortunate sampling experience and they have lots of great stuff I haven't interacted with, but it's very far from a spotless history.

It isn't spotless those laptop keyboards were crap, but the thing is most everybody else manages to suck more.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

It isn't spotless those laptop keyboards were crap, but the thing is most everybody else manages to suck more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m75CX7P0Gqk&t=122s

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Okay, I think I warmed up a bit to the PSVR 2. Especially after I played GT7 which was a jumpscare in a good way.

"Am I doing this wrong? I do not see a single option to go to VR mode. I guess I will just go into a race and...okay, its still doing the flatscreen, I should check the HOLY GODDAMNED HELL :stare: "

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A rare Quest bundle
https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-a...cj_aid=13797872

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

KillHour posted:

It's an apple device, so it almost certainly won't just plug into a PC and play steam games or whatever. That alone kills it for me.

if it has any capability to run 3rd party apps then surely the virtual desktop guy will port it over

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MWUG2LL/A/pro-stand

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the best part is it's not a "premium" upgrade or anything, the $5000 monitor doesn't come with any means of standing it up so you either have to get the $1000 desk stand or the $200 VESA adapter as well

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

repiv posted:

the best part is it's not a "premium" upgrade or anything, the $5000 monitor doesn't come with any means of standing it up so you either have to get the $1000 desk stand or the $200 VESA adapter as well

It looks great next to your SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLAR COMPUTER TOWER WHEELS.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MX572ZM/A/apple-mac-pro-wheels-kit

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Or, if you dont want your mac pro rolling around, you can get feet for it for just three hundred earth dollars

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MXNM2ZM/A/apple-mac-pro-feet-kit

Clearly the pro move is to buy both though, to cover all your options

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So what you're saying is the new headset won't come with a head strap or (proprietary) charging cable.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

repiv posted:

honestly this and rumors of a $3k price mean this really is aimed at business use. the pro display xdr (which doesn't work well with windows or linux, even if you do some workarounds to install the driver and get brightness control) is competing against BVMs, not normal monitors. it's calibrated for a variety of color spaces and achieves great coverage in them, plus has 1600 nits peak brightness. all this is not that useful to someone who isn't mastering in HDR or doing work very sensitive to color. $1k is hilariously expensive, i guess at least you get a heavily over-engineered stand. it's also very silly that it doesn't just come with a dang vesa adapter by default, but again it's competing against monitors that cost tens of thousands.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Or, if you dont want your mac pro rolling around, you can get feet for it for just three hundred earth dollars

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MXNM2ZM/A/apple-mac-pro-feet-kit

Clearly the pro move is to buy both though, to cover all your options

the mac pro comes with feet, this is just for if you spent $700 on the wheels upgrade from the factory but decided you didn't like it. i want to meet the person who did that, i bet i could scam some money off them

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

KillHour posted:

So what you're saying is the new headset won't come with a head strap or (proprietary) charging cable.

It will probably require two apple watches for hand tracking an a iphone max for setup and loading apps or something like that. The device will be incredibly fragile but no worries, apple also sells a case that only costs $1500.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KillHour posted:

$200 cable with Lightning connectors.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

parasyte posted:

honestly this and rumors of a $3k price mean this really is aimed at business use. the pro display xdr (which doesn't work well with windows or linux, even if you do some workarounds to install the driver and get brightness control) is competing against BVMs, not normal monitors. it's calibrated for a variety of color spaces and achieves great coverage in them, plus has 1600 nits peak brightness. all this is not that useful to someone who isn't mastering in HDR or doing work very sensitive to color. $1k is hilariously expensive, i guess at least you get a heavily over-engineered stand. it's also very silly that it doesn't just come with a dang vesa adapter by default, but again it's competing against monitors that cost tens of thousands.

apple positioned the XDR as competing against reference HDR BVMs, but in practice its zoned dimming (rather than per-pixel) means it performs much worse than those BVMs

it's in the awkward spot of being too expensive for most people and also not good enough for the people who can afford to spend megabux on a reference display

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Thoom posted:

I believe this has to do with a bug in its "on your face" detection algorithm. Try unsuspending it first and then putting it on as a workaround. As I understand it, the bug showed up in the v50 system software and was fixed by v53, so it should resolve on its own in a week or two if you haven't got the update yet.

Interesting - I've definitely experienced the bug on v53, but there was a new build of v53 pushed out to me this morning, hopefully that'll fix it

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Snackmar posted:

2. The charging cradle doesn't always charge the headset. The headset power indicator does light up, but when I go to play Beat Saber later in the week the battery is dead. A couple of times I've plugged in the old Vive belt-battery as a backup and played that way, but it really sucks.

v54 has some improvements to the controllers, as per
https://www.meta.com/en-gb/blog/que...&utm_term=quest

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

some people just don't understand art

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Black August posted:

lol nothing except games and industry use, the tech is still nowhere near being good for practical AR applications unless Apple’s set has monster good passthrough and a 4+ hour battery

Given all the rumors of separate battery packs, my personal bet is that they've jumped on the BoboVR philosophy and it'll be driven mostly by an external battery pack intended to be switched out mid-session, with a Magsafe or iPad-pogo-pin dock for multiple battery packs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Roadie posted:

Given all the rumors of separate battery packs, my personal bet is that they've jumped on the BoboVR philosophy and it'll be driven mostly by an external battery pack intended to be switched out mid-session, with a Magsafe or iPad-pogo-pin dock for multiple battery packs.

Pimax got on that train a little too; Their Sword controllers have removable batteries that'll last about 2-3-ish hours apiece. (They use a bog-standard Sony NP-BX1 camera battery, so they're fairly cheap to get).

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

v54 has some improvements to the controllers, as per
https://www.meta.com/en-gb/blog/que...&utm_term=quest

Oh nice - I'll keep an eye out. I hadn't realized that updates are gradually rolled out to the userbase in stages

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/13lw2gp/quest_3_now_shows_up_in_the_compatibility_section/
Maybe the Quest 3 will be announced in the June 1st showcase and not in October?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I hope so, I love my Quest 2 but if they can drop the size and weight similar to the Pico 4 then I'll probably upgrade on that basis alone.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Not too long ago I only saw Picos for sale in videogame stores here, they had a little section.

I dunno when this started but now they got whole Pico stores. So I guess theyre doing well, or at least they're trying real hard to do well.

No clue how you have a whole store when you got like just a couple things total to buy, but maybe they just stock a bunch of accessories too? I woulda stopped in it but it's late and I'm tired.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
you could probably rent a storefront at mall with a hand sandwich and a cyanide pill at this point

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Pico is the same company as ByteDance which is TikTok, so it's all just marketing budget petty cash for crap like that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Plus with VR stuff it remains a problem where people have to try it to understand why it's cool, its much easier to do that when you have your own retail space to do demos and don't end up partnering with retailers who'll charge people £10 for a demo.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Al! posted:

you could probably rent a storefront at mall with a hand sandwich and a cyanide pill at this point

In America, sure, but malls are not in decline in Asia.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

That would be sweet. They could get out in front of Apple by a few days and announce their Quest 3. Then two days later Apple announces their similar product that costs 6x as much.

(these prices are made up, I ain't got a clue).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

njsykora posted:

Plus with VR stuff it remains a problem where people have to try it to understand why it's cool, its much easier to do that when you have your own retail space to do demos and don't end up partnering with retailers who'll charge people £10 for a demo.

Also have staff who might be vaguely trained in setting up and guiding a demo.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

GutBomb posted:

In America, sure, but malls are not in decline in Asia.

Yeah they're really not and I have no idea why.

People in Asia also buy stuff online, a lot. Probably more than America. Yet there are still malls everywhere and they're still really busy. It's like a huge mall every few blocks, even in the cities that aren't super populated. I'm not in the rich eastern coastal part of China where you'd expect stuff like this.

But it's just been this general increase in Pico's presence. First here you pretty much had to get them online. Then, a booth in gaming stores. And now a store across from the Apple and Lenovo store.

In China it's a huge market that meta literally can't crack into, Quests exist on the grey market (I have one) but you need a VPN/Accelerator (which, the latter, legal and everyone who plays anything online gets one. I really don't know what the deal is but, you play games online? Horrible ping. You go through a special VPN through Hong Kong? Suddenly your ping is ok, and Facebook game stuff is no longer blocked.) and, the process of registering for an account with meta as a Chinese person is brutal. It's a guarantee your account gets locked right away and not a guarantee it gets unlocked when you give them copies of your ID.

And that's a bigger population than Europe and America combined. Granted also a poorer on average population probably less likely to get into VR, but it's still very large.

Pico hasn't made anything I want yet, there are too many compromises for me to buy one of their headsets. But I still want them to do well and for VR to catch on in China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

My first assumption would be that people in Asian countries don't call the cops if they see a group of kids hanging out in public so kids still meet their friends at the mall and as a result the mall feels like a place people and stores want to be instead of a depressing empty space like they do in America.