Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Keita showed flashes of brilliance from time to time but was ultimately never healthy long enough to develop a good run of form, and his development has probably stalled at this point. It sucks, since he was so promising when he first came in, but that's how it goes sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

shouldn't have taken the 8 imo

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

He's the only 8 to win the Premier League for Liverpool, I'd argue it's his shirt.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Shrapnig posted:

It was my understanding that Naby Keita just needed time at Liverpool so I'm utterly shocked about this.

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1658865104970997762?cxt=HHwWhICzgcTBvIUuAAAA

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

I'm going to be so mad when he makes 40+ appearances and becomes a star player somewhere else next season.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Toney will just be like a new signing when he comes back next year

8 months for 232 illegal bets seems like a good deal. Way laxer than gambling bans in :911:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Shrapnig posted:

It was my understanding that Naby Keita just needed time at Liverpool so I'm utterly shocked about this.

it's sad but these all seemed pretty inevitable. Milner is old, AOC had one good season for us but is a permacrock, Firmino wants to be first choice, and Keita didn't work out. It'll be quite a summer trying to rebuild the whole midfield though.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

How many frames are in this

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Don't frameshame

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

an_mutt posted:

I'm going to be so mad when he makes 40+ appearances and becomes a star player somewhere else next season.

Don’t worry, that’s not going to happen.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Shrapnig posted:

£52M for 49 starts in 5 years so a cool ~£1M/match, not great

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

the sex ghost posted:

AOC just needed time (for his ever increasing list of injuries and diseases to heal)

once his knee blew up he was never the same. honestly feel bad for him a bit he at least seemed to try really hard.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Belter of a song though.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

To be fair Liverpool are paying him the highest possible tribute.

One quarter of a tweet.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/TimesSport/status/1659189927915974656

City are so funny

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Not sure how this is relevant, it's not like they're a rival team or anything

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?

Shrapnig posted:

AOC was so good on transitions before the injuries. None of our other midfielders have the same explosive dribbling out of midfield. Sad to see him go, but it's pretty clear that he won't ever have that same athleticism and without that, it's hard to justify keeping him.

Keita is a mystery. Every now and then he would do a Patrick Viera impression and dominate the midfield, but mostly he was injured or a non-factor in games. I hope he rediscovers his form at a less competitive club/league, because the talent is obviously there.

Bobby deserves the chance to be a regular starter somewhere, but it's going to feel terrible when he scores a no-look goal against us in the Champions League.

Milner is probably the hardest to replace. No one else in the squad has the same kind of experience or as many trophies. With that said, there are other leaders (Salah, Henderson, Virgil) who will keep the training standards high. He's worked with many of the best managers in the world and if rumors are true, he's going to join Brighton to learn from De Zerbi. Prediction: Milner will manage Liverpool before Gerrard does.

In summary, it doesn't matter because Manchester City will win every title until the world runs out of oil.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
plenty can change still but imo this should be emery because of just how god awful Villa were under gerrard

https://twitter.com/premierleague/status/1659151847397965824

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

It cannot be overstated how loving poo poo Gerrard was

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

yeah i voted emery

anyway i found this fun clip of the athletic talking about just what an insane cheapskate mike ashley is

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticFC/status/1560238833483911169

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah I think it’s Emery, Villa were completely hosed before he arrived.

If Leeds stay up then it’s Big Sam though.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Gotta be Emery

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

J Hume posted:

AOC was so good on transitions before the injuries. None of our other midfielders have the same explosive dribbling out of midfield. Sad to see him go, but it's pretty clear that he won't ever have that same athleticism and without that, it's hard to justify keeping him.

Keita is a mystery. Every now and then he would do a Patrick Viera impression and dominate the midfield, but mostly he was injured or a non-factor in games. I hope he rediscovers his form at a less competitive club/league, because the talent is obviously there.

Bobby deserves the chance to be a regular starter somewhere, but it's going to feel terrible when he scores a no-look goal against us in the Champions League.

Milner is probably the hardest to replace. No one else in the squad has the same kind of experience or as many trophies. With that said, there are other leaders (Salah, Henderson, Virgil) who will keep the training standards high. He's worked with many of the best managers in the world and if rumors are true, he's going to join Brighton to learn from De Zerbi. Prediction: Milner will manage Liverpool before Gerrard does.

In summary, it doesn't matter because Manchester City will win every title until the world runs out of oil.

This is a good summary and :agreed:

I was skeptical about the Ox transfer at the time given the fee and his history of injuries, poor guy just couldn’t stay fit.

Keita is probably the biggest flop of the Klopp era - as mentioned before, he would be anonymous for several games, play outstanding one match, then inevitably get hurt, and the cycle would repeat. Not learning the language and just general sense of not really wanting to be there couldn’t have helped.

I get why Bobby is moving on, he does deserve to be a starter somewhere but Gakpo has done a decent job of adapting to that role so understand why they wouldn’t give him a long term contract. I’ll miss his creativity (and ludicrous smile).

Milner is arguably the best free transfer in Liverpool history - I somehow hadn’t realized he had been there 8 years, the longest club he played for. Just a great player and influence, he will absolutely be missed.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Jurgen Klopp has been given a one-game ban (plus one suspended) for saying that the referees are all crooked losers

https://www.thefa.com/news/2023/may/18/klopp-suspended-180523

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

does he miss the villa match

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

yep, out for the villa match

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah I think it’s Emery, Villa were completely hosed before he arrived.

If Leeds stay up then it’s Big Sam though.

This. Feel like artetas been hard done by since no-one was expecting arsenal to finish second at the start of the season. Pep will win

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Jose posted:

does he miss the villa match

Yeah presumably

The wording is a little weird because it’s like, he’s suspended for 2 matches but doesn’t have to serve the 2nd so long as he’s a good boy?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Frankston posted:

It cannot be overstated how loving poo poo Gerrard was

I wonder why Gerrard did so badly at Villa. Everything I read about his time at Rangers made it sound like he did well there.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Maybe there needs to be a certain level of staunch for him to do well

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I wonder why Gerrard did so badly at Villa. Everything I read about his time at Rangers made it sound like he did well there.

He won less top flight Scottish trophies in his time as Rangers manager up there than St Johnstone did over the same time period. His one title win came during the wacky no-crowds COVID season where Celtic absolutely imploded for various reasons.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Thought Gary O'Neil deserved a shout tbh

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

his assistant manager was the one who was actually good looking at how he's doing in the championship

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Jose posted:

his assistant manager was the one who was actually good looking at how he's doing in the championship

He’s Rangers manager now, lol

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Dave Angel posted:

He’s Rangers manager now, lol

And we’re looking better.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Her Dryer posted:

He won less top flight Scottish trophies in his time as Rangers manager up there than St Johnstone did over the same time period.

What?

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

He won one trophy in his time here, tiny northern club St Johnstone won two. A fun fact to impress your friends with .

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Her Dryer posted:

He won one trophy in his time here, tiny northern club St Johnstone won two. A fun fact to impress your friends with .

I don't think you know what top flight means.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Surely the top tier cups are well under the term 'top flight' ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

Mickolution posted:

I don't think you know what top flight means.

I don’t think you do.

Top flight scottish football is a perfectly cromulent term and this is a very pedantic point in the grand scheme of laughing at Steven Gerrard