Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Not quite. Throwing eggs at a house is harmless. They're trying to murder people. It's more akin to randomly shooting into a crowd of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1659452522233315329
Seems they drew a blank last night in Lviv too. 5 drones shot down in and around the city.

How many collectable secrets did they leave for Poland this time?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

mobby_6kl posted:

:hmmyes: eating pussy is extremely gay if you think about it

bratwurst massage
Jan 27, 2018

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Not quite. Throwing eggs at a house is harmless. They're trying to murder people. It's more akin to randomly shooting into a crowd of people.

Yeah I know. But the sheer stupidity...

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

mobby_6kl posted:

:hmmyes: eating pussy is extremely gay if you think about it

You jest, but there are people who actually think like this. Extremely tedious fragile people who think they should be having opinions on how other people should have really boring sex. I'm not at all surprised that these people seem to be the same people who like police brutality and war crime and other brutality. The cruelty really is the point I think.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

bratwurst massage posted:

Yeah I know. But the sheer stupidity...

And I agree with you completely that it's as petty, childish, and pointlessly mean as egging a house. It's just that the outcome is a few orders of magnitude worse.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zone posted:

They're probably referring to the incident in Bryansk, one of the planes that was shot down was an Su-34M if i'm not mistaken.
That's quite far away form where the Patriots are supposed to be located. But I checked the original article it references and there aren't any more details or even a date when that was supposed to happen so who knows.

orange juche posted:

do gotta wonder how long before Russia runs out of poo poo to throw at Ukraine's air defenses, considering they're having to frantically buy another pile of shaheds, and will we see a similar degradation of capabilities a la going from T90/T-80 all the way back to T-54s on the tank end of things.

What older soviet era poo poo could they press into service when they run out of Kinzhals and Shaheds? I'm sure there's some part of a Shahed that can be pinched off via sanctions.
The Shaheds are pretty easy to make (if you have Western parts at least) so they probably aren't running out of those ever. But supposedly they don't have that many Kinzhals available.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tunicate posted:

"it would have been morally wrong and evil not to invade poland alongside nazi germany"

I have, in fact, seen this used as a defense of the Molotov-Ribbentropp pact. It was phrased as "saving Eastern Poland from the Nazis", but that's basically what it amounted to. Never mind that it was bad enough that even Polish communists were re-crossing into the Nazi-Occupied half in 1940.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCdmKFrDOso

A pretty decent summary of the political powerplay surrounding Bakhmut.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

orange juche posted:

do gotta wonder how long before Russia runs out of poo poo to throw at Ukraine's air defenses, considering they're having to frantically buy another pile of shaheds, and will we see a similar degradation of capabilities a la going from T90/T-80 all the way back to T-54s on the tank end of things.

What older soviet era poo poo could they press into service when they run out of Kinzhals and Shaheds? I'm sure there's some part of a Shahed that can be pinched off via sanctions.

They're probably never going to run out of shaheds, but Kinzhals they only had ~50 of afaik before they recently wasted seven trying to kill the Patriot battery.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Here's a good hobby project idea

https://i.imgur.com/xhugauG.mp4

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
warcraft

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
I Googled and a generic PAC-2 missile gets up to 1.2 km/s with a range of 160km. So it will take up to maybe 2 minutes to hit any target in range. Curvature of the earth is an issue obviously from the radar unit, I wonder if you can drive a launcher far in front of the radar? Like your radar is near Kyiv, can you move a launcher 50km closer towards the front? 100km? Could you put a single launcher in Kharkiv and snipe at aircraft into Russia? (Ed: no, 1 km max stated)

Edit: hmm

quote:

The radar detects fighters at a range of 110-130 km, bombers at a range of 160-190 km, missiles at a range of 85-100 km, warhead of the missile at a range of 60-70 km. The Patriot can also receive firing data from the higher level command posts or airborne early warning aircraft, such as E-3 Sentry. During operation the radar unit, as well as the launchers are unmanned. The only manned element is the battery command post vehicle.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 11:49 on May 19, 2023

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

mobby_6kl posted:

Here's a good hobby project idea

https://i.imgur.com/xhugauG.mp4

Someday this will be on the Antiques Roadshow as an example of Ukrainian War Trench Art.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
In Russia they use live ammunition

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Rust Martialis posted:

I Googled and a generic PAC-2 missile gets up to 1.2 km/s with a range of 160km. So it will take up to maybe 2 minutes to hit any target in range. Curvature of the earth is an issue obviously from the radar unit, I wonder if you can drive a launcher far in front of the radar? Like your radar is near Kyiv, can you move a launcher 50km closer towards the front? 100km? Could you put a single launcher in Kharkiv and snipe at aircraft into Russia? (Ed: no, 1 km max stated)

Edit: hmm

Every time that I see people who would know the range of modern AA missiles asked about the range, they get really cagey.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Take the classified stuff to the WarThunder forums. Or Discord!

But that said, the Patriots might've freed up some S-300s to be moved around so maybe that could also play a role.

Rust Martialis posted:

In Russia they use live ammunition
They did and now have to dismantle the art installations to send it to Wanker

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
I'm always stunned at the range of those things. And amazed some small anti air missile can go that far. Madness.

Seems the patriots are doing a great job. It's great to see.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Integrated and networked smart systems with machine learned predictive targeting and multiplatform near realtime shared sensor input and data is formidable.

Thats been the general philosophy for awhile now.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Sedgr posted:

Integrated and networked smart systems with machine learned predictive targeting and multiplatform near realtime shared sensor input and data is formidable.

This is like, 95% of the way towards Skynet.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1659533167718531074
I'm sure all of this will help your military infrastructure when it goes up in smoke, because Ukraine doesn't attack civilians deliberately like you scum do, nor do they want even a small portion of your crappy country, they only attack military targets or targets with military applications. Cope and seethe all you want about it.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I always figured weapon tech or the military stuff in general is a driver for encryption tech.
Imagine you hack the signal and somehow get the patriots around an important airport to attack civil aircraft…..

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1659533167718531074
I'm sure all of this will help your military infrastructure when it goes up in smoke, because Ukraine doesn't attack civilians deliberately like you scum do, nor do they want even a small portion of your crappy country, they only attack military targets or targets with military applications. Cope and seethe all you want about it.

many such structures in place

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Roblo posted:

Seems the patriots are doing a great job. It's great to see.

Finally, patriotism being used as a force for good.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1659530953251778562
Additional NASAMS are being provided by Norway as well. Air defense umbrella growing even stronger.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

This is a serious test though it's been a bit relentless with the bombings over the last week or two. I really think that they are trying to exhaust Ukraine's anti-air defenses or expedite the exhaustion of them by continuously lobbing bombs.

Let's remember it's not the Russia can't create these missiles it's that they could not get the microchips to make the guidance systems work, microchips are a lot easier to avoid sanctions with especially with the country that might share a land border with you.

They are attempting to win by the mathematics of missile warfare which is launch 51 missiles if they have can shoot 50 down.

I am doubtful that this will work the way they expected to and I believe that they have a walk in the sleeping giant which is Western military industrial production, but it's good to at least have the concept they are working with on view and discussed.

At this point Putin knows he cannot gain any more territory, and consolidating what he has via the exhaustion of the will to fight is the main mode of military strategy at this time. If the Ukrainian population is annoyed by the fact that they don't have power, they may just Sue to keep the loving lights on and end the bombing.

No I don't believe any of this will work the way they expected to. But I also think there's a separate portion of the military structure that is completely aware that the Ukrainian counter attack May utterly and completely shatter Russian morale and cohesion quickly.

I believe the Ukrainian plan would be to take the entrances to Crimea so that in the event the Russian army retreats they cannot retreat back into crimea. Doing so in combination with blanketing the area in anti-air as well as anti-ship missiles will essentially mean Crimea is under siege and unable to be reinforced materially or menly. Doing so while taking melitopol will mean that the Northern areas are in a far worse three sides envelopment.

Of course this all depends on when they do their crown or attack as well and if we start seeing some cool rear end strike craft start boosting Ukraines numbers.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Except they already exhausted an average of 60% of their missile stocks, even 1/3 of the allegedly hypersonic incels they had are gone, they can launch rubbish all day but eventually they'll have to stop again to not completely exhaust their strategic stocks.
Strictly the only missiles they really have a fundamentally unlimited number of are dumbfire rockets for their S-300s and 400s, which still remain a significant threat to the civilian population.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

zone posted:

hypersonic incels

Don't know if this was a typo or not but I love it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Alan Smithee posted:

many such structures in place

That mylar probably had better structural integrity and weather resistance than Russian cement used in those border triangles

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I know drone drop vids need to be notable and not show death, so that said this is an abandoned MTLB packed with antitank mines and it gets completely disappeared

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1659562390961242114?t=lwt6difHnNZ6q0LfWEhe2A&s=19

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I hope the drone wasn't hurt :ohdear:

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Karma Comedian posted:

I know drone drop vids need to be notable and not show death, so that said this is an abandoned MTLB packed with antitank mines and it gets completely disappeared

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1659562390961242114?t=lwt6difHnNZ6q0LfWEhe2A&s=19

Suddenly it is clear that another fundraiser is required. We need phantom high speed cameras on drones remote operated by the Slow Mo Guys.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/natashabertrand/status/1659564322224308224?s=46&t=6HOSYVrXffESMo0NlyR0Lg

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1659562335726436353?s=20

AZOV! :hitler:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
I get that Israel is bad. I get that the US is bad. I get that the EU is bad. I get all that.

Where the hell does 'Russia is good' come into the above equation? I know I've said this several times over this loving debacle, but it still does my loving nut in every time it comes up.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Broke: Azov
Woke: Yezhov

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Samovar posted:

I get that Israel is bad. I get that the US is bad. I get that the EU is bad. I get all that.

Where the hell does 'Russia is good' come into the above equation? I know I've said this several times over this loving debacle, but it still does my loving nut in every time it comes up.

USA bad therefore Russia good, in its simplest form. As long as they, or anyone else, oppose the USA, or anything they do, they're fine with the morons that hate the USA for whatever reason. Sure I get it, the USA has done some really nasty poo poo, however it's possible to disdain them for what they did while approving of their actions this time, because they're unequivocally good.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Samovar posted:

People are dumb and want easy answers that mean who ever opposes their most hated enemy is good. Same way you'll get otherwise sensible people claiming the US is good because it momentarily opposes China.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Samovar posted:

A lot of it I think is just absolutely refusing to admit one is wrong about something, and will double, triple, quadruple down into absurdity just to avoid that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

Broke: Azov
Woke: Yezhov

quote:

In the whole of my—now, alas, already long—life, I had to meet few people who, by their nature, were as repellent as Yezhov. Watching him, I am frequently reminded of those evil boys from Rasteryayeva Street workshops, whose favorite form of entertainment was to light a piece of paper tied to the tail of a cat drenched with kerosene, and relish in watching the cat scamper down the street in maddening horror, unable to rid itself of the flames that are getting closer and closer. I have no doubt that Yezhov, in fact, utilized this type of entertainment in his childhood, and he continues to do that in a different form in a different field at present.

Now thats a character reference.