Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Trapezium Dave posted:

Guess who is the best friend of all time.

It used to be true that the pages were Arudak's and the Ink Witches stole them because he was being difficult, but now it's Arudak who stole them apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Idiota couldn't write a note because Mookie doesn't actually think she's really named Idiota, and Snout never told her he named her 'Ink Witch', and she has no background from before this comic, so she has no way to sign a note in such a way the audience could understand it as being from her.

Never mind that she's a loving witch of ink so she could have been included in the note-giving by just giving her a scene of ink-writing. Hell, you could have her let Snout read the note from Araduk and then have her use it as the material for her own note written on the spot.

Instead we get a heartfelt touching note from... some guy who just met Snout literally today. Because at least 'Jacob' has an initial.

I wish Mookie would find something else to do with his time. He's abysmally bad at comic writing and is never, ever going to improve.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Trapezium Dave posted:

gently caress you, Mookie.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

YF-23 posted:

I am going to post today's blog post because it relates to mookie's storytelling:

I find the idea that a complicated backstory has to be reflective of the combat prowess that TTRPG levelups represent or that it has to exist at the expense of table play to be extremely reductive. It's like it's mixing up writing a plain, salt-of-the-earth character with writing a boring one.

On something that infuriates me less than the newest comic, I love how Mookie will inevitably take a good concept and Ram This poo poo Into The Ground.

Your character does not need a thirty page long dramatic backstory and certainly doesn't need to talk about it all the time. --> The only good characters are completely blank slates that pop up into existence right as the plot starts!
You don't need to storyboard every little details of your story before beginning to tell it, NaNoWriMo exists to tell people to Just Write Something. --> Plan every single page as you draw it, having no concept where the plot is going at any time except for some vague "There will be sex scenes"!
Not every story needs to revolve around saving the world, small-scale stories can be interesting too. --> Okay so there's this dude and he's looking for a book and this is somehow relevant to world peace. Dominic takes a year-long cruise where nothing happens, this is also somehow relevant to world peace.
Power is not the only thing that's important. --> Snout is an uwu soft boy.
It's possible to have heroes that have done morally questionable things. --> loving Heroic Rapist (but also it's actually totally fine that he did this, everybody agrees, even his victim who is now in love with him, proving that it wasn't actually that bad.)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Joe Slowboat posted:

To be perfectly fair, Arudak is the one person Snout genuinely helped in a proactive way, by getting him the back pain potion that instantly de-aged him twenty years and made him a protagonist.

Is this the dumbest reason for a heel-face turn in history? We go now to a panel of people who've been beaten over the head then forced to read only 2000s-era webcomics.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
i love the blog post and blog comic because mookie is terrible at writing and NEVER edits a sentence. he would be struggling for a b grade in high school english these days.

mookie posted:

"My Favorite Characters to Roleplay
It’s no secret that I’m big into tabletop roleplaying games. TTRPGs are the source of half the characters I’ve put into my comics. My entire career in comics is thanks to making a Diviner Wizard in Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Second Edition in the very early 90s and recreating him for a Third Edition game about a decade later.

I still play TTRPGs to this day. In fact, several times a week I play remotely with some of my closest and dearest friends. Over the years I’ve settled into a type of character I like to play, and I hope by example I inspire others to do the same.

My favorite characters to play are ones with no remarkable backstory to speak of."

it takes him 7 sentences to advance the idea past the info in the title! the newest comic clearly was never read aloud to check for awkward structure and pauses. I SEE HIM NOW, THANKS TO YOU, A CHANGED MAN. it's so awkward

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Is this the dumbest reason for a heel-face turn in history?
Thanks you made me think back to the original run and remember that Quilt quit working for Team Jacob and join Dominic purely on the strength of Dadgan's jokes.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

SubG posted:

It used to be true that the pages were Arudak's and the Ink Witches stole them because he was being difficult, but now it's Arudak who stole them apparently.

Mookie changed it when Jacob was introduced. Arudak stole the pages from him, then the witches stole them from Arudak.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Joe Slowboat posted:

To be perfectly fair, Arudak is the one person Snout genuinely helped in a proactive way, by getting him the back pain potion that instantly de-aged him twenty years and made him a protagonist.

This part gets a bit odd when you consider that Snout didn't have any reason at all to think that it would work. The entire gag establishing the potion-seller was that Snout saw a potion to restore healing loss and immediately drank it, then ran off in panicked disgust at the offensive taste, with the last panel revealing the discarded bottle's "do not drink" instruction on the label.

Emrikol fucked around with this message at 13:45 on May 17, 2023

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

i love the blog post and blog comic because mookie is terrible at writing and NEVER edits a sentence. he would be struggling for a b grade in high school english these days.

it takes him 7 sentences to advance the idea past the info in the title! the newest comic clearly was never read aloud to check for awkward structure and pauses. I SEE HIM NOW, THANKS TO YOU, A CHANGED MAN. it's so awkward

His writing is very stilted with often very simple sentence structures, coming across childishly. He doesn't really develop ideas. He just talks about a topic for a couple of sentences and then moves on.

The whole thing feels like a five paragraph essay as opposed to something he seriously felt motivated to write.

This is an opportunity to build a connection. Tell me a story about a time where someone just took an interesting character with an interesting back story and made it boring and terrible to play because they were so stuck in the world they created that they couldn't interact with other people's visions.

That same childishness carries over to his plot. Everybody wants to make everybody feel good. Nobody has conflicting needs or wants. The good guys don't make mistakes. And when conflict rears its ugly head, Snout feels badly and everyone talks it through rationally and leaves Snout a letter about how much they love him. Nobody does anything on camera because Snout is deaf and Mookie can't figure out how to work around his no dialog rule, so he just has everyone write a letter.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
In 20+ years of GMing tabletop games and hundreds of different groups, I would say short, simple backstories are the norm. Probably a handful of paragraphs at most. Mookie's either in the majority or I have some kind of insane personal bias.

I can honestly say that literally no one has ever turned in a 30+ page backstory to me (though it's probably happened once or twice, it's a big hobby). Especially for a level 1 character.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Trapezium Dave posted:

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
I couldn't imagine this comic getting any more pathetic and yet here we are!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

"I like when characters don't have elaborate backstories" says the guy who kept stapling anime cliche after anime cliche to his pet D&D character's history

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Wow, it's completely a surprise that Mookie is so solipsistic as to believe that a D&D character of his own devising has had no noteworthy or formative experiences and won't until Mookie observes them happening.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
The thing about 'normal' people as your heroes is that it can totally work but only if the story changes them immensely. Like, that's the whole deal about Frodo's ending.

How has Snout changed from the beginning of this story?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

He became pretty but that's probably not diegetic

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Pyrotoad posted:

The thing about 'normal' people as your heroes is that it can totally work but only if the story changes them immensely. Like, that's the whole deal about Frodo's ending.

How has Snout changed from the beginning of this story?

The way he's drawn has changed a lot!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

He started off independent and he became incapable

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah the original Snout responded to his whole house getting demolished by making an action plan of what he had to do and went about it. Versus now where every minor setback requires going off to sulk and multiple head pats.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Trapezium Dave posted:

Yeah the original Snout responded to his whole house getting demolished by making an action plan of what he had to do and went about it. Versus now where every minor setback requires going off to sulk and multiple head pats.

And a nap where he either gets told where he needs to go next, or dumb naked bullshit that means nothing/repeats information he already had.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Maybe he got bit by a vampire because he seems to have gotten progressively more allergic to stakes.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

SubG posted:

Maybe he got bit by a vampire because he seems to have gotten progressively more allergic to stakes.

Well, Mookie does like to remind us he's vegan, so maybe he got confused.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Mx. posted:

He started off independent and he became incapable

Trapezium Dave posted:

I'll grant this much: Snout did competently gather materials and make himself a new shirt. Sewing and crude tailoring are the one thing Snout has repeatedly been shown to actually be passable at, and of course it's the one thing that's absolutely never been plot-relevant. Unfortunately, after the shirt things went right back to the default state. His search for a new home began and ended with a cave that just happened to be directly behind him, then the Ink Witch's Pagefinder showed up so he didn't have to search for the pages on his own anymore, and then it was revealed to be the Ink Witch herself all along and she joined him as he was leaving so he didn't have to look for her.

Emrikol fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 18, 2023

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Emrikol posted:

a cave that just happened to be directly behind him,

Ah, so snout is the new crone of maltak

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
CHAPTER 26: THE MARCH ACROSS MALTAK, Part 9: MOVING MOUNTAINS

What's happened in Legacy? Nothing? Okay, time for DD.

Luna's dying, Kiya and Reinholdt are having a moment, only to be interrupted by Neilen.

poo poo, 12 panels this time! Mookie's getting ambitious! Death from above AGAIN, Kiya gets the killing blow. I didn't recognize it was Kiya at first because her look keeps changing.

Those are some motion lines.

Of course, no one's harmed by the mountain suddenly erupting out of the ground.

A character learning to let go of old hatreds and move on with life isn't a bad arc, but it's ruined by everything surrounding it. I'll have more to say at the end of this chapter.

Good throw, Reinholdt, even though you should be dead because you were impaled through the heart.

RIP Spirit Father, you were a ridiculous caricature until the end.

All it took was a bit of rain for the clans to forget their differences! Yay. The last panel is garbage, gently caress that poo poo.

Azazia coming in from the side and yelling "HRRRARGK" is a joke at this point.

Stonewater's too busy having an orgasm, it's up to Melna. It looks like she'll have to kill Azazia after all...

Or not! She simply rips out the corruption (and exposes Azazia's breasts, natch).

Ah, she followed Dominic's advice. In a better comic, Melna would come up with the solution on her own, but Mookie's an utter hack who can't have the side characters think for themselves, so Dom's infallible wisdom saves the day. Again.

And that's the end of this short part. You can tell Mookie wanted to get this over with.

Next time: All hail our white Callanian saviors, Kiya is still super horny

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I'm suddenly remembering being 13-14 and thinking Death From Above was one of the funniest things ever

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Happy Landfill posted:

I'm suddenly remembering being 13-14 and thinking Death From Above was one of the funniest things ever

You have my pity.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Samovar posted:

You have my pity.

In fairness this was smack-dab in the middle of MONKEY-CHEESE-SPORK humor. We were all afflicted.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Is anyone else unable to see the comics?

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Invisible Clergy posted:

Is anyone else unable to see the comics?

lord i wish

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I love the panel of the mountain erupting dramatically from the ground is there now I guess sure no big deal.

Also the death--from above is funny by the standards of an early 00 webcomic, humor always ages the most poorly and of all of the garbage that was--that was fine within its context for the time, I'll give Mookie this one concession.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

looks good, big fan

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's up now, it's just more loving glomping

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Goddammit Snout! Can't you see Arudack is still sore from his slap fight?

Snout is the real villain of this story.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

*glomps u* ^_^

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Poor Arudak got an RSI from all those affirmation letters to Snout.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
That jerk Mhorg slaps HARD!
gently caress!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

There's something about that panel three pose which has shown up every so often, the holding your hands crossed close to the chest out of joy, that just annoys me. I don't remember if mookie's drawn it for anyone other than orcs so it might be supposed to be a cultural gesture? But it looks weird and unnatural in a way that I can't quite put my finger on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

YF-23 posted:

There's something about that panel three pose which has shown up every so often, the holding your hands crossed close to the chest out of joy, that just annoys me. I don't remember if mookie's drawn it for anyone other than orcs so it might be supposed to be a cultural gesture? But it looks weird and unnatural in a way that I can't quite put my finger on.

i think he copied a "happy" pose from a how to draw anime pose, but removed the schoolbooks or whatever prop. that's it