Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Cuttlefush posted:

ironically basically all the various academic/gov buildings where the earthquake people work would pancake and kill them all. at least the seismologists since they don't go outside.

I think if I studied earthquakes hard enough to know that the building I worked in would kill me in one, I'd probably work from home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

skooma512 posted:

I'm up for anything so long as it doesn't involve high level math.

Honestly I don't have a ton of resources now that I think about it; my knowledge has been pieced together from high level sources and conversations with professionals for decades. I'll bet someone has a better answer than me.

I will throw you one bone which is that Stormsurf does a weekly Youtube video that goes over a lot of El Nino stuff - it's for surfers, but I assume it would be very valuable for people learning too. Good luck:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEFpe8smuAI

I'm going to effort post about this El Nino ok, I might do like 1-2 more over the next 8 months if it warrants. I focus a little on the USA because I live there, sorry:

When we entered a new climatological system at the end of the 97-98 El Nino, the canonical effects we had been associated with +ENSO seem to have gotten rather slippery. I wouldn't take this as gospel, but I am of the opinion that the 97-98 El Nino was so powerful it basically flipped the pacific into some kind of -PDO (or otherwise multi decadal) suppression regime and caused a significant weakening of the raw effects associated with El Nino. Those effects have largely persisted until today, though that might change this winter for reasons we go over below.

(The PDO is still a rather debated topic in itself by the way, in terms of if it exists, and how it functions)

We got back to back La Nina events of the last 3 winters, which in itself is extremely anomalous. It's one of the primary reasons I am scared about this El Nino; the background support for it is huge. You have years of La Nina predisposing the system to strongly oscillate positively. You have the climatological participation of the southern hemi in this El Nino which has very much not been the consistent case recently. The southern Hemi has been fighting El Ninos for quite some time on average. But now we see strong canonical, basically textbook east-based +ENSO presentation with full ocean participation.

It also looks like there may be a minor -IOD (indian ocean dipole) signal but that's less clear. The indian ocean has been fighting against El Nino; been quite warm, in fact the Indian Ocean has been on fire for many, many years. This has cemented the NE indian ocean (Indonesia et al) as the premier surf destination in the world but also is just indicative of the power the indian ocean has been wielding. Everything in the atmosphere has a cost- if one area is experiencing greater than normal convective events, other areas are suppressed. This concept - that climate changes in one area presage corresponding and often opposite changes in another area, is absolutely key for understanding atmospheric systems. Strong IO storm signal depressed Pacific storm signal in general while the negative IOD signal buttresses the pressure events that catalyze El Nino and ultimately result in the ocean-atmospheric coupling that drives the system through winter.

My point being that for a long time there have been numerous headwinds against a canonical, strong EP-based +ENSO presentation for many years. Those headwinds seem to be abating, and this El Nino could herald the re-emergence of Pacific ocean convective dominance denoted by +PDO and other indicators. We'll have to see on that though.

The MJO is an atmospheric event where a "packet" of convective enhancement loops around the equatorial globe, with a corresponding area of convective tightening as well. The MJO looks like it's about to become quasi-stationary in the WPAC and give way to low frequency, near-constant uplift in the West Pacific, which is an El Nino-suggestive pattern and sets up the cross-pacific circulation necessary for El Nino to manifest many of its impacts. Longer term over the year, the El Nino ocean/air coupling essentially supercedes the SOI and an often strong, extremely low frequency convective enhancement occurs in the Pacific. That is a telltale +ENSO signal and represents a firm and difficult to displace coupling of ocean and air.

The pressure pressure oscillations that occur between Darwin, Australia and Tahiti provides a rough index of ocean/atmospheric coupling; therefore we index it, in the form of the Southern Oscillation Index. Consistent negative SOI, free from the seesaw effects of the MJO, is a characterization of El Nino because it denotes a reversal of normal pressure differentials which greatly strengthen and couple the system.

Anyways this means a couple of broad things for the thread if everything continues on this current trajectory:

1) A strong, canonically East Based +ENSO overtakes the east pacific, destroying the upwelling system of ocean currents that nurture the normally abundant sea life of the coastal EPAC. This will decimate the ability of fishing boats to bring in a normal haul to feed citizens in EPAC countries and beyond

2) Displacement of jet stream southward (possibly extremely so) and intensity greatly increased, causing flooding in regions associated with the jet's canonical new position such as the southern USA. Relative drought in the areas that are normally fed by the jet (Pacific NW etc).

3) Indian Monsoon drastically weakened resulting in presumably exceptional drought characteristics in India. This would massively destabilize the region if pronounced enough.

4) Most areas that are normally wet due to jet-related precipitation will experience some form of decline worldwide. El Nino is the source of some of the greatest droughts in human history and some of the biggest floods. This will strongly stress food supplies, as typical agricultural areas receive far less rain and more typically arid locations receive way too much, causing crops to die in both cases.

5) Strong El Nino is absolutely devastating for coral reef populations.

6) Rocketship-fast acceleration of global warming. People in power will act super surprised about this, but it's been obvious for a long time. The triple dip La Nina we just had massively hid the scale and upswing of global warming. Going from 3 years of La Nina, to a super El Nino, is going to be harsh, and people won't want to believe it. It will hasten already mostly-destroyed political ties as both parties refuse to acknowledge the situation.

Longer term:

Under this scenario, climate migration northward becomes heavily incentivized over the next few years as it sinks in that we're deeper in the poo poo than anyone in power was willing to admit. This will only further erode the trust between civilians and government (which is saying a lot considering it's already dead).

Many areas that have seen very strong immigration in the USA recently are located in the southern part of the country and oh man are they hosed long term. Arizona, Florida, Texas. It's loving insane that we even allowed these population movements to happen in the first place, they should have been at least warned years ago. Maybe they were? Who knows. Basically no one cares about global warming enough to even understand what it is and how it works, so the idea that we could get these people moving south to not move there based on things like science and basic critical thinking is loving laughable.

Long term one would expect a lowering in valuation of homes in climatologically at risk drought areas, and correspondingly strong upswings in valuations in areas that are fantastic under a climate change scenario (this includes the rust belt, long term investment in property there would be rewarded). Other areas would be fine like the far PNW but housing expense is a huge factor there. People who put off moving to a climate-change positive location will often find themselves unable to afford shelter and other resources there.

To me a huge X Factor looking way ahead is how regular (destitute) American citizens will react to climate pressures. They would not be able to compete for housing in the areas less effected by climate change. This would result in a climate surge northward without any kind of resource network. It would be almost indistinguishable from the climate migrations from the third world, and people might finally understand that American underclass is literally third world in structure. That will be a fun realization.

I might answer questions if anyone has. If I ever effort post this hard again, it'll be because poo poo is going down. This could be the first "full fat" El Nino- you know, that good poo poo, that china white, since 97, and the world has massively changed and become so destabilized so this all could be a nothingburger or maybe it'll send us straight to the cool zone.

Microplastics posted:

Please update ticket IPCC-369 (Fix climate change) to "In Progress" and assign it to you, thanks

Sheeeiiit bro you trying to activate my PTSD? Well, if so congratulations because I'm triggered :stoked:

Luckily Engineering took me off of Jira somehow and just never put me back on, and I never asked to be re-added. It's made my life so much better.

Taima has issued a correction as of 13:15 on May 19, 2023

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Taima posted:

Working on this sorry

Please update ticket IPCC-369 (Fix climate change) to "In Progress" and assign it to you, thanks

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

product manager: 350ppm is on the roadmap for q4

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Stereotype posted:

trees are cool and there should be way more of them. we should replace all roads with trees

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

Pretty much this

Also

https://twitter.com/ProfBillMcGuire/status/1659585905777049600

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

HOW DARE YOU :mad:

I'm going to... propose a scathing but non-binding resolution!!!

I retract my statement I'm sorry, please keep donating to my campaign

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

paying?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

err posted:

am i safe in a house during that, like an old wooden house built in the 40s in seattle

The bad news is that at Magnitude 9 we're all hosed, everywhere, all the time, regardless of how our house is built. The good news is that at lesser magnitudes a house of that period might survive better than more modern houses, depending. Back then they probably took the time to brace the walls by inserting 1x4 diagonal bracing into the wall studs which I would take any day of the week over chipboard fastened by a hung-over 17 yo who keeps missing the studs with his nail gun loaded with the wrong fasteners while the boss yells about moving faster.

The weakest point on older houses is often how (or if) they're fastened to the foundation. Over the years there have been big pushes to retrofit these anchors on older homes. If your house doesn't have these it will part company with the foundation when things start shaking. In that case grab a joint and a beer, head for the roof and enjoy the view while your intact house land-surfs into the Sound.

Fine Homebuilding magazine used to have a "wtf were they thinking?" review about a year after major natural disasters like Hurricane Andrew, the Loma Prieta earthquake, or California wildfires. They don't seem to be doing that lately, guess things are really quiet out there on the natural disaster front.

lol. What a bizarre concept.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Oh, don't worry, we're all going to pay.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
I know, the temerity of that guy asking those Wealth Generation Engines and Job Creators to PAY for their services to the world?? Wild stuff

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I will toxx for the climate.

If the biosphere doesn't collapse by Dec 31st 2035 I will accept a ban for doomerism.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

the full text of the paper is here: https://www.cell.com/one-earth/fulltext/S2590-3322(23)00198-7

the Climate Accountability Institute has a cool related graphic:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

actionjackson posted:

from nyt

WHAT A BUNCH OF DOOMERS

quote:

There is a 98 percent chance that at least one of the next five years will exceed that,

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I still can't get over how many perfect little moments that movie had. Like overall it was just ok but between the Jonah Hill lines, the fake steve jobs guy, and the MOTHERFUCKING FINGERLING POTATOS moment it was worth the watch.

also

Your father and I are for the jobs that the asteroid will create.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 21:09 on May 19, 2023

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Taima posted:

Anyways this means a couple of broad things for the thread if everything continues on this current trajectory:

1) A strong, canonically East Based +ENSO overtakes the east pacific, destroying the upwelling system of ocean currents that nurture the normally abundant sea life of the coastal EPAC. This will decimate the ability of fishing boats to bring in a normal haul to feed citizens in EPAC countries and beyond

2) Displacement of jet stream southward (possibly extremely so) and intensity greatly increased, causing flooding in regions associated with the jet's canonical new position such as the southern USA. Relative drought in the areas that are normally fed by the jet (Pacific NW etc).

3) Indian Monsoon drastically weakened resulting in presumably exceptional drought characteristics in India. This would massively destabilize the region if pronounced enough.

4) Most areas that are normally wet due to jet-related precipitation will experience some form of decline worldwide. El Nino is the source of some of the greatest droughts in human history and some of the biggest floods. This will strongly stress food supplies, as typical agricultural areas receive far less rain and more typically arid locations receive way too much, causing crops to die in both cases.

6) Rocketship-fast acceleration of global warming. People in power will act super surprised about this, but it's been obvious for a long time. The triple dip La Nina we just had massively hid the scale and upswing of global warming. Going from 3 years of La Nina, to a super El Nino, is going to be harsh, and people won't want to believe it. It will hasten already mostly-destroyed political ties as both parties refuse to acknowledge the situation.

Longer term:

Under this scenario, climate migration northward becomes heavily incentivized over the next few years as it sinks in that we're deeper in the poo poo than anyone in power was willing to admit. This will only further erode the trust between civilians and government (which is saying a lot considering it's already dead).

Many areas that have seen very strong immigration in the USA recently are located in the southern part of the country and oh man are they hosed long term. Arizona, Florida, Texas. It's loving insane that we even allowed these population movements to happen in the first place, they should have been at least warned years ago. Maybe they were? Who knows. Basically no one cares about global warming enough to even understand what it is and how it works, so the idea that we could get these people moving south to not move there based on things like science and basic critical thinking is loving laughable.

Long term one would expect a lowering in valuation of homes in climatologically at risk drought areas, and correspondingly strong upswings in valuations in areas that are fantastic under a climate change scenario (this includes the rust belt, long term investment in property there would be rewarded). Other areas would be fine like the far PNW but housing expense is a huge factor there. People who put off moving to a climate-change positive location will often find themselves unable to afford shelter and other resources there.

To me a huge X Factor looking way ahead is how regular (destitute) American citizens will react to climate pressures. They would not be able to compete for housing in the areas less effected by climate change. This would result in a climate surge northward without any kind of resource network. It would be almost indistinguishable from the climate migrations from the third world, and people might finally understand that American underclass is literally third world in structure. That will be a fun realization.

I might answer questions if anyone has. If I ever effort post this hard again, it'll be because poo poo is going down. This could be the first "full fat" El Nino- you know, that good poo poo, that china white, since 97, and the world has massively changed and become so destabilized so this all could be a nothingburger or maybe it'll send us straight to the cool zone..

I have no questions (I wouldn't even know what to ask), but this was a really great write-up to read. Thank you for sharing!

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
That post got me crackin & pingin all over again, that's the good poo poo.

Heard some numbers on the news last night about the flooding in Italy :

6 months of rainfall in 36 hours

Something like 41(!) "towns and cities" flooded

~20,000 people made homeless :stare:

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

https://twitter.com/WillRinehart/status/1659577200478224384?s=20

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Orcas take my energy ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Relevant Tangent posted:

did he get ticketed or were the local police too corrupt?

Rich business owner (that's so financially incompetent he had to beg his neighbors for help with his mortgage to avoid a foreclosure) with connections to like half of city hall, so nobody cared.

He still parks a work truck in that parking lot because why not?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Even if they gave us back $5.4 trillion, what are we gonna do, buy a new biosphere? Whatever price they put on it is stupid.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Taima posted:

Honestly I don't have a ton of resources now that I think about it; my knowledge has been pieced together from high level sources and conversations with professionals for decades. I'll bet someone has a better answer than me.

I will throw you one bone which is that Stormsurf does a weekly Youtube video that goes over a lot of El Nino stuff - it's for surfers, but I assume it would be very valuable for people learning too. Good luck:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEFpe8smuAI

I'm going to effort post about this El Nino ok, I might do like 1-2 more over the next 8 months if it warrants. I focus a little on the USA because I live there, sorry:

When we entered a new climatological system at the end of the 97-98 El Nino, the canonical effects we had been associated with +ENSO seem to have gotten rather slippery. I wouldn't take this as gospel, but I am of the opinion that the 97-98 El Nino was so powerful it basically flipped the pacific into some kind of -PDO (or otherwise multi decadal) suppression regime and caused a significant weakening of the raw effects associated with El Nino. Those effects have largely persisted until today, though that might change this winter for reasons we go over below.

(The PDO is still a rather debated topic in itself by the way, in terms of if it exists, and how it functions)

We got back to back La Nina events of the last 3 winters, which in itself is extremely anomalous. It's one of the primary reasons I am scared about this El Nino; the background support for it is huge. You have years of La Nina predisposing the system to strongly oscillate positively. You have the climatological participation of the southern hemi in this El Nino which has very much not been the consistent case recently. The southern Hemi has been fighting El Ninos for quite some time on average. But now we see strong canonical, basically textbook east-based +ENSO presentation with full ocean participation.

It also looks like there may be a minor -IOD (indian ocean dipole) signal but that's less clear. The indian ocean has been fighting against El Nino; been quite warm, in fact the Indian Ocean has been on fire for many, many years. This has cemented the NE indian ocean (Indonesia et al) as the premier surf destination in the world but also is just indicative of the power the indian ocean has been wielding. Everything in the atmosphere has a cost- if one area is experiencing greater than normal convective events, other areas are suppressed. This concept - that climate changes in one area presage corresponding and often opposite changes in another area, is absolutely key for understanding atmospheric systems. Strong IO storm signal depressed Pacific storm signal in general while the negative IOD signal buttresses the pressure events that catalyze El Nino and ultimately result in the ocean-atmospheric coupling that drives the system through winter.

My point being that for a long time there have been numerous headwinds against a canonical, strong EP-based +ENSO presentation for many years. Those headwinds seem to be abating, and this El Nino could herald the re-emergence of Pacific ocean convective dominance denoted by +PDO and other indicators. We'll have to see on that though.

The MJO is an atmospheric event where a "packet" of convective enhancement loops around the equatorial globe, with a corresponding area of convective tightening as well. The MJO looks like it's about to become quasi-stationary in the WPAC and give way to low frequency, near-constant uplift in the West Pacific, which is an El Nino-suggestive pattern and sets up the cross-pacific circulation necessary for El Nino to manifest many of its impacts. Longer term over the year, the El Nino ocean/air coupling essentially supercedes the SOI and an often strong, extremely low frequency convective enhancement occurs in the Pacific. That is a telltale +ENSO signal and represents a firm and difficult to displace coupling of ocean and air.

The pressure pressure oscillations that occur between Darwin, Australia and Tahiti provides a rough index of ocean/atmospheric coupling; therefore we index it, in the form of the Southern Oscillation Index. Consistent negative SOI, free from the seesaw effects of the MJO, is a characterization of El Nino because it denotes a reversal of normal pressure differentials which greatly strengthen and couple the system.

Longer term:

I might answer questions if anyone has. If I ever effort post this hard again, it'll be because poo poo is going down. This could be the first "full fat" El Nino- you know, that good poo poo, that china white, since 97, and the world has massively changed and become so destabilized so this all could be a nothingburger or maybe it'll send us straight to the cool zone.

Sheeeiiit bro you trying to activate my PTSD? Well, if so congratulations because I'm triggered :stoked:

Luckily Engineering took me off of Jira somehow and just never put me back on, and I never asked to be re-added. It's made my life so much better.

Great post thanks man. Lots to think about.

Also something to note is that the jet stream is weird even without this going on thanks to the weakening polar vortex, and el nino is going to make it even weirder. I wonder if models can even keep up with how differently the atmosphere is starting to act

skooma512 has issued a correction as of 23:21 on May 19, 2023

antipattern
Nov 8, 2019

Taima posted:

*effortpost*

Thanks for this, very informative. It gave me that funny feeling only a good crack ping can give.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
do not doom. do not doom.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Im gonnna Doom!

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
for real though, it feels like the northern hemisphere is gonna go buck wild this summer

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

FistEnergy posted:

for real though, it feels like the northern hemisphere is gonna go buck wild this summer

glad I'm in the southern hemisphere and they're not connected

:blessed:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Heat rises so it's only natural the northern hemisphere would be hotter

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Just a Moron posted:

https://twitter.com/WillRinehart/status/1659577200478224384?s=20

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Orcas take my energy ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

well great, now they're going to start slaughtering orcas directly instead of merely indirectly

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Stereotype posted:

we could have been doing lots of things. I love to imagine the things we could have done to distract from the things we did do and are continuing to do and will continue to do.

I like playing videogames.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Stereotype posted:

we could have been doing lots of things. I love to imagine the things we could have done to distract from the things we did do and are continuing to do and will continue to do.

reading this post on my big screen oled as i sit in an air conditioned house in a hot and humid climate while im eating chips out of three separate chip bags

mmhmmm

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i like building a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

biceps crimes posted:

well great, now they're going to start slaughtering orcas directly instead of merely indirectly

My first thought

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

biceps crimes posted:

reading this post on my big screen oled as i sit in an air conditioned house in a hot and humid climate while im eating chips out of three separate chip bags

mmhmmm

what kind of chips

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Hubbert posted:

what kind of chips

store brand original ruffles, store brand fritos, and store brand lays bbq

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Zodium posted:

i like building a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world

Really this whole territory needs to be covered in map like yesterday

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

FistEnergy posted:

do not doom. do not doom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DKUgXlotbI (Mirror Reaper by Bell Witch)

Well, you asked for doom, so here's some of the doomiest funeral doom that ever doomed.