Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Yeah 'good' mirrorless batteries are only comparing it in the world of other mirrorless batteries. They still don't even beat average battery life from a decade ago on DSLRs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

So z8 is announced. Literally is a baby z9. Almost exact same specs.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks amazing. Love the approach of keeping essentially all of the flagship features in the smaller body.

I put in a preorder. Might wind up cancelling as I'm not sure it makes sense for where I'm at, but I figure the thing is gonna be sold out for like 9 months so may as well have the order in while I think it through.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Looks pretty sweet. The battery life rating looks a bit iffy.
Isn’t that pretty low for a modern mirrorless?

I think the Canon R5 is rated at ~450 shots and that was released three years ago now.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I vaguely remember the Z6 having a really low rating that didn't wind up that bad in practice / compared to other cameras. I think it was rated for like 300 shots but I'd get 2-3x that easy. Obviously it's taking a hit compared to a Z9 and might not match other stuff, but from pre production reviews seems like people haven't found it too bad.

That said I'm used to carrying around a stack of 98wh V-mount batteries so my perceptions of battery performance are probably wildly out of tune for stills cameras.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

xgalaxy posted:

Looks pretty sweet. The battery life rating looks a bit iffy.
Isn’t that pretty low for a modern mirrorless?

I think the Canon R5 is rated at ~450 shots and that was released three years ago now.

The CIPA rating is loving useless for modern cameras it seems.

Anyway, I sat there F5-ing various Euro sites and one posted the Z8 two minutes before the official announcement so ordered there. Should arrive end of May according to their estimate (I am dubious). Love my Z9 but I never use the vertical grip and the Z8 should be similar to my Z7 + Smallrig grip size wise which is perfect for me. For extended sessions I'll just grab a couple of spare batteries if needed. The Z9 battery is 36wH and I think the EL15 is 16 so around 45% of the capacity.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 10, 2023

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I know I’m cheap rear end hell, but $4000 US seems a little steep, no? Any cheaper Nikon body alternatives are over two years old.

It looks amazing. I get that it’s a baby Z9. Inflation, etc.

I dunno. This is the first Nikon Z body that has me tempted to go mirrorless but if I bought the body tomorrow I’d have nothing left for lenses for a while. It’s just a hobby for me.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Brrrmph posted:

I know I’m cheap rear end hell, but $4000 US seems a little steep, no? Any cheaper Nikon body alternatives are over two years old.

It looks amazing. I get that it’s a baby Z9. Inflation, etc.

I dunno. This is the first Nikon Z body that has me tempted to go mirrorless but if I bought the body tomorrow I’d have nothing left for lenses for a while. It’s just a hobby for me.

Prices overall are getting kind of nutty. Sony A1 sitting at 6500 bucks, the Canon R5 (three years old now?) around 3500. It’s probably part of the shrinking market and focus on well heeled enthusiast shooters.

Have you thought about a Z6 or Z7? Yeah, the AF isn’t as good as the Z9, but it’s still pretty drat decent and the cameras are amazing performers. I’ve used a Z7 for everything except birding and have been very happy with it. Outstanding output and works great with F mount glass using the FTZ. Viewfinder is the first EVF I actually thought was good enough to replace OVF,

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

For what you are getting its not. Its actually pretty cheap.
The rest of the lineup does need an upgrade though but Nikon have been struggling part wise for a while. Its likely they cannot produce a Z8 and Z6iii/z7iii at the same time. The Z5 needs an update as well really. And they still havent made a high end ASPC. Think they might just be semi-abandoning that format altogether.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I thought new cameras were basically only for professionals, preferably whose jobs are paying for them, and people with more money than sense

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Seems like it's pretty in line with the competition. Little more expensive, but also a decent bump in all round capability. Like, its video capability is similar if not better than the R5C, which is $400+ more expensive even with current discounts and has a goofy body to dissipate heat. It's only $100 more than the R5 was at launch (though it's on sale right now for a good bit less) and roughly equivalent for stills, better for video; $100 more than the A7RV which has a higher resolution sensor but worse video and slower continuous shooting speed. I think the Z8 seems very competitive.

I think it's gonna sell really well, and as a silver lining it'll probably mean plenty of used Z7 and Z6 from upgrading folks. Which seems like a better fit for hobby-ing if you don't have cash to burn.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I agree it will sell well.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Have you thought about a Z6 or Z7? Yeah, the AF isn’t as good as the Z9, but it’s still pretty drat decent and the cameras are amazing performers.

I bought a used D5 last year and I’m really spoiled by the AF. I know it doesn’t have subject or eye detection, but I shoot soccer with it and holy moly it never misses.

I’m a dumbass. Why do I need to upgrade anyway? I have better photo gear than I ever could have dreamed of just ten years ago when I was shooting a D90. Enjoy the Z8 if any of you are getting one, though.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeast posted:

I’m too addicted to the Z9 battery life to go to a smaller cell.
Literally just put a pack in your pocket?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Mega Comrade posted:

For what you are getting its not. Its actually pretty cheap.
The rest of the lineup does need an upgrade though but Nikon have been struggling part wise for a while. Its likely they cannot produce a Z8 and Z6iii/z7iii at the same time. The Z5 needs an update as well really. And they still havent made a high end ASPC. Think they might just be semi-abandoning that format altogether.

I don't know how big a part of the cost the sensor is these days, perhaps it just isn't worth it. Since we have a bunch of FF cameras sporting 45-60MP sensors now, you'd either need a _significantly_ cheaper 24-ish MP APS camera or a high density APS sensor around 35-40MP for it to make sense. A 24MP APS sensor would push a lot less data so could potentially use cheaper processing, but then you can't reuse the components you're already producing/sourcing for the FF cameras. So, uh, maybe, if it sold well enough? But it doesn't seem like a slam dunk at this point and with the market being what it is maybe not worth the gamble.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Isn’t the Z8/Z9 the same sensor as the D850, but tweaked a bit?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

evil_bunnY posted:

Literally just put a pack in your pocket?

I shoot for a living, I carry 2 spares in my pelican anyway. Anything that can streamline shoots is helpful. I go through all my half day and most of my full day shoots on one charge, which I can’t do on a small cell.

The difference between swapping during a shoot and not isn’t much, except when you’re shooting 4-5 days a week every week, of every year.

I mean it’s sort of moot point anyway, the Z8 doesn’t give me anything I don’t already have with the Z9, especially considering I’d whack the vertical grip on it anyway for ergo

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Brrrmph posted:

Isn’t the Z8/Z9 the same sensor as the D850, but tweaked a bit?

The D850 was BSI while the Z8/Z9 are stacked, which allows for the electronic only shutter thing. Whether you consider that being tweaked a little I dunno.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Cool. Sounds like similar image quality outside of the rest of the camera capabilities.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
The D850 and the Z9 sensors are very similar, but the Z lenses make every image so, so much better it’s absurd.

That’s (for me) the huge win on Nikon mirrorless.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
It’s really hard to tell who is full of poo poo on YouTube about Nikon and not.
Some are saying the AF on Z9/Z8 are excellent and on par with Canon/Sony and others say it’s poo poo or a generation behind.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Think it depends what you shoot. From everything I've read the Z9 only really feels behind if you are doing sports or bif.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

CIPA battery ratings are definitely useless for mirrorless cameras. As far as I know, the procedure is something like:

- Screen stays on for the entire test
- Only take a photo every 30 seconds
- (other things that don’t really matter for mirrorless or DLSRs)

Mirrorless cameras use way more power leaving the screen on, than DSLRs, because they are basically permanently in live view mode (which isn’t used in the DSLR CIPA tests), so that means using a lot of power on the sensor as well. I’m guessing that in real world conditions DSLRs will still win on battery life, but the difference is not as big as it looks.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Came to my senses and cancelled my preorder. I want to replace my A camera soon and dropping this much on a B camera doesn't really make sense given how little stills I do for work anymore. Still think the Z8 looks like a home run for Nikon though.

Picked up an OG Z7 from the local camera store instead so I can have a totally separate stills kit. I'd forgotten how big and heavy the S1H is in comparison to these. I'm pumped. It'll also free me up to not worry about my B cam's stills abilities and just focus on the video world.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

xgalaxy posted:

It’s really hard to tell who is full of poo poo on YouTube about Nikon and not.
Some are saying the AF on Z9/Z8 are excellent and on par with Canon/Sony and others say it’s poo poo or a generation behind.

Coming from a Panasonic S5 which struggled in any and all situations, such as even finding birds in flight to begin with, the Z9 has been phenomenal. It does struggle with small birds in thick foliage though.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
About a year ago I decided to sell my D7500 and lenses and go mirrorless to simplify my setup. I also had never had a full frame so I tried that out as well. I've currently got a Z 5 with the 24-120 lens. I want to get a few new lenses. I'm thinking I want something for low light portraits like a 50mm f/1.4, something for landscapes and star photography like a wide angle f/4, and something for birding like a 70-300. I've looked at the prices for Z lenses and they're all a lot more than I want to spend. I'm thinking of getting the FTZ ii and going with F lenses. Either that, or just get rid of my full frame setup and switch to a crop sensor mirrorless like the Nikon Zfc or the Sony a6400. Thoughts?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Z14-30 f/4, check out mpb for used FTZ and AF-P 70-300 (make sure you get the FX version). The 50 f/1.4G is also pretty good, and heaps cheaper than the Z version.

I wouldn't buy a Sony. And the Zfc is a clear downgrade from the Z5, imo.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

huhu posted:

About a year ago I decided to sell my D7500 and lenses and go mirrorless to simplify my setup. I also had never had a full frame so I tried that out as well. I've currently got a Z 5 with the 24-120 lens. I want to get a few new lenses. I'm thinking I want something for low light portraits like a 50mm f/1.4, something for landscapes and star photography like a wide angle f/4, and something for birding like a 70-300. I've looked at the prices for Z lenses and they're all a lot more than I want to spend. I'm thinking of getting the FTZ ii and going with F lenses. Either that, or just get rid of my full frame setup and switch to a crop sensor mirrorless like the Nikon Zfc or the Sony a6400. Thoughts?

Look at Viltrox lenses.

I’ve got a 56 1.4 which is terrific. They do a pretty big range for Z Mount. The prices are I think quite astonishing for the quality

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
If you want to go crop sensor, and not sure why you would, go for Fuji. Good lens and body selection from enthusiast to pro level stuff.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

DanTheFryingPan posted:

If you want to go crop sensor, and not sure why you would, go for Fuji. Good lens and body selection from enthusiast to pro level stuff.

I went from Nikon DSLR to Fuji and then back to Nikon (Z) because I found the Fuji interface so complicated and unintuitive.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

therattle posted:

I went from Nikon DSLR to Fuji and then back to Nikon (Z) because I found the Fuji interface so complicated and unintuitive.

The old timey physical controls for shutter and aperture, or the menu system?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've been enjoying the 40mm f2 a lot. It's not amazing optically, but makes for such a tiny, light package and for round $200 used I don't mind duplicating some of my nicer but bulkier glass.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

DanTheFryingPan posted:

The old timey physical controls for shutter and aperture, or the menu system?

Menu system and other controls. Physical controls were good.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

therattle posted:

Menu system and other controls. Physical controls were good.

Fair enough, I don't think the Fuji menu system is particularly great.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

The big day is here and right now BH is showing the Z8 unavailable until mid June while Amazon is saying July 12.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Fabulousity posted:

The big day is here and right now BH is showing the Z8 unavailable until mid June while Amazon is saying July 12.

Jesus..

I just received mine in Australia. Nice size, feels good. An annoying thing is that I couldn’t copy all my settings directly from the Z9 on an SD card, had to go through each menu on the Z9 and sort it on the Z8. That’s my only complaint so far.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Seems like a good time to look into a used Z6II :v:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I'm seeing mint z6 for less than £900

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

toggle posted:

Jesus..

I just received mine in Australia. Nice size, feels good. An annoying thing is that I couldn’t copy all my settings directly from the Z9 on an SD card, had to go through each menu on the Z9 and sort it on the Z8. That’s my only complaint so far.

Any other initial thoughts? I pre-ordered one through B&H but a week before release so if I'm lucky I'll be in the second wave of shipments.

Apparently people who bought directly from Nikon are having orders cancelled. Z8s are also showing up on E-bay for $5,000+

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Fabulousity posted:

Any other initial thoughts? I pre-ordered one through B&H but a week before release so if I'm lucky I'll be in the second wave of shipments.

Apparently people who bought directly from Nikon are having orders cancelled. Z8s are also showing up on E-bay for $5,000+

I haven’t really used it a lot so far, just a few shots here and there. Battery life is .. average on the older A and B batteries. On the C version (I can’t remember the battery names sorry) it was pretty good, flipping between photo, video and menu sorting.

I did a quick video test in my backyard with N-Log and used the Z8 LUT from Nikon in Premiere, but all the colours were really out of whack - fluro over vibranced colours. Very strange but I could pull it back to normal easily, but it did make me WTF at how very off it was. Going to do some macro shooting today, so will see how that goes with the battery life.

So far only concerns are the battery and the weird colours with the Nikon LUTs in premiere. Other than that, so far so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Z8 owning +3 days on. Battery life on the EN-EL15c batteries is really great. I was shooting photos most of the day and it didn't buckle that bad. Switching to video chewed through it, but for photos its fine. Started at 9am, had to change to an older EN-EL15b by around 2pm. Obviously not a Z9 all day long/all night strong battery, but it's decent.

Also, the Z8 doesn't like third party batteries, which is annoying. The Nikon branded EN-EL15c batteries are pretty cheap anyway so can't hurt to grab a couple more.

Overall, it's very good. And I like it.