Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Steve Yun posted:

Ascend saved my panicking rear end during a depths coliseum 1 Vs 4 fight. Muddle bud then turned it into a cakewalk. Everything is scary until you figure out your tools.

Muddle bud has become almost too valuable to use. It has saved my rear end so many times that I sometimes drop into the depths only to grab more of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/historygf/status/1659033627957633024?t=w0zfH0TNHBw6GJQrBv_dig&s=19

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Oh, hey, also, how the gently caress are you supposed to fight the big Stone Taluses? I've killed a couple with arrows from a distance, but if I'm at all up close I'm stumped. It looks like you're supposed to be able to climb up to their shoulder to hit the lump, but they don't keep their arms in the ground long enough. And I have no idea how to dodge the boulders they throw if there's no obstacle to hide behind. I was sprinting at full speed at a 90 degree angle and it still bullseyed me for most of my hearts.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Does the flamebreaker armor set get cheaper or is this as low as it's gonna get?

Mercury Hat posted:

Silly question about mechanics / lore implications. I was talking to a random NPC just as a dragon was flying by and doing the dragon wind stuff, and the NPC's dialogue was all about how sometimes they can feel a strange wind blowing around and they wondered what it could be. While the dragon was 50 yards away from us.

Do people suppose this just the NPC not having a program to react to dragons (likely) or can most common people just not see dragons (similar to koroks).

They can definitely see them, he's probably just a bit dense
EDIT: Oh you meant the actual dragons, thought you meant Gleeoks

RatHat fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 19, 2023

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Phenotype posted:

Oh, hey, also, how the gently caress are you supposed to fight the big Stone Taluses? I've killed a couple with arrows from a distance, but if I'm at all up close I'm stumped. It looks like you're supposed to be able to climb up to their shoulder to hit the lump, but they don't keep their arms in the ground long enough. And I have no idea how to dodge the boulders they throw if there's no obstacle to hide behind. I was sprinting at full speed at a 90 degree angle and it still bullseyed me for most of my hearts.

You can use ascend on them, and you can send their rocks back at them with rewind

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

RatHat posted:

You can use ascend on them, and you can send their rocks back at them with rewind

jfc

any time I'm stumped the answer is usually ascend

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
ABA (always be ascending)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Phenotype posted:

Tears of the Kingdom: any time I'm stumped the answer is usually ascend

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I can't overate how much I was surprised that the underground wasn't an afterthought and how much I adore it

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Mercury Hat posted:

Silly question about mechanics / lore implications. I was talking to a random NPC just as a dragon was flying by and doing the dragon wind stuff, and the NPC's dialogue was all about how sometimes they can feel a strange wind blowing around and they wondered what it could be. While the dragon was 50 yards away from us.

Do people suppose this just the NPC not having a program to react to dragons (likely) or can most common people just not see dragons (similar to koroks).

In BoTW it said that most people just can't see the dragons due to magic reasons. I guess it explains why they're a myth even though you should be able to see them almost every day.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Threat assessment is a big problem for me in this game. I understand that it's due to enemies holding a variety of different weapons but it's hard for me to parse if they are holding a big stick or a Big Stick (TM) and end up having to dark souls my rear end off because I truly cannot tell if I can take a hit or not. I had a moment yesterday where I accidentally got smacked by a Bokoblin with thick stick and then saw my fairy pop, which was perplexing to me til I disarmed him and found out that it was a deluxe pre-order stick he got at gamestop with twice the damage.

Phenotype posted:

jfc

any time I'm stumped the answer is usually ascend

"Look up" is OP

I do feel some vindication by all the new vertical movement techs and people going "at last you don't have to painstakingly climb every surface at 0.1mph" when years ago I said doing so sucked and got "but it's a critical part of the journey" back.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Hey, what do I need to do to get the story moving? Since the cutscenes at the beginning, I have made literally no progress in like 20 hours. I've seen one more cutscene where Zelda shows up in the past and meets Rauru but otherwise I still don't know why she's appearing and disappearing, or who Spooky Dave is, or what's his deal, or the deal with the spooky fog, or all the stuff rising into the air. I've only done one of the dungeons so far (Rito) but the issue with the blizzard seemed like just another random happening caused by Spooky Dave doing... whatever the hell he's doing.

the main plot line in totk is terrible. it might actually be the worst in the franchise in how threadbare and directionless it is. don’t stress it and just enjoy the side stories and traipsing the countryside

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Oxxidation posted:

the main plot line in totk is terrible. it might actually be the worst in the franchise in how threadbare and directionless it is. don’t stress it and just enjoy the side stories and traipsing the countryside

The backstory is pretty awesome though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s all good, actually. It being so scattered is part of the exploration appeal this game is built on.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Man, I kinda of went hard on shrines for the first day or two and then stopped. Since i've lit up all of the depths, I know where all the non sky ones are, but that's still like, over 60 I now have to grind out on the surface alone.

Also, it's not very important, but it's very weird sometime in between the time frame of BotW and TotK, the path the sun takes through the sky went from leaning to the north to leaning to the south.

Like I assume it was just an aesthetic choice to make the sky stuff pop more, but it's still weird to think about how the region would have had to move to the opposite hemisphere for it to make sense as a practical choice.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s all good, actually. It being so scattered is part of the exploration appeal this game is built on.

that worked in botw but not here. botw’s jigsaw storytelling was fine because it provided glimpses of the circumstances that led up to the world getting broken and most of them were just character beats that informed one another in either direction. totk just takes a normal storyline, hacks out 9/10’s of its content, and mixes up the scenes. the flashbacks sabotage each other if you view them in the wrong order and all four post-temple cutscenes reiterate the exact same points. that’s not getting into the bizarrely mismatched continuity between the entries, like the giant robots’ conspicuous absence or how most of hyrule seems to have memory holed the champions, he calamity, and Link himself

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The game does do a fairly good job about putting things in between places you are naturally going to gravitate towards, but at the same time it can be pretty obtuse with "well the next part is somewhere around uh northish".

Souls games have the same issue a lot of time and you hear the same "but it's part of the game". Yeah but there is a difference between exploration and searching. It's not like you're exploring a new frontier if you're going over it like a grid pattern.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Some enemy complaints: silver bokoblins seem to have a billion health, and the talus with their weak points on there backs suck

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I hate the flute in the Stable Theme. The rest of the instruments are fine.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I mean, I like the exploration, but some of the stuff is core enough that you really need to find it early. I hadn't found Hestu until I was like ten or fifteen hours in and about to do the Rito dungeon, so I went ahead and looked it up because I was sick of the small weapon inventory. If I hadn't, I probably wouldn't have found him until late game because I'd already gone that way and there's a whole map to explore.

I'm scared to look up anything story-related, though, so can someone please give me a pointer? Where should I go for just some basic info on Spooky Dave and what he's doing?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ran into my first Lynel in the depths just now and by god, they're actually kind of fun to fight now

RandolphCarter posted:

Some enemy complaints: silver bokoblins seem to have a billion health, and the talus with their weak points on there backs suck

polearm with a smashing type horn on it is my go-to for the annoying taluses, you've got the reach to actually hit it from both the ground and on top of it, and you typically have time to fully charge it before it knocks you off so it does a crapload of damage

Any regular mob that's giving me trouble gets the ice sword, ice is just insanely powerful and the frost breath lizalos horns seem to last a good while, though it's not like ice fruit is rare

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

He does go to lookout after your first temple, the game really doesn't want you to wait on that first temple as its after that you get the rest of your abilities.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Phenotype posted:

I mean, I like the exploration, but some of the stuff is core enough that you really need to find it early. I hadn't found Hestu until I was like ten or fifteen hours in and about to do the Rito dungeon, so I went ahead and looked it up because I was sick of the small weapon inventory. If I hadn't, I probably wouldn't have found him until late game because I'd already gone that way and there's a whole map to explore.

Hetsu has been in Lookout Landing for me since pretty early. I want to say after doing a couple of side quest or maybe the depth early quests? Just showed up there one day and has been there ever since. I never had to find him or anything. Could have been the water temple now that I think about it since I did that somewhat early as I explored East.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Back to sneaking into women’s rooms to read their diaries

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Barreft posted:

It's such a great game. I love Elden Ring just as much. :cheers:

kinda spoilers, but barely.. mostly regarding ER playThere's harder version of all mobs in the Depths, even the bosses

Fighting Colgera in near pitch blackness was terrifying and awesome, and rewarded me with a badass sword part. I put it on the Biggoron Sword and when it's on link's back it usually clips into the floor and becomes invisible.

FrickenMoron posted:

Any good spots for warm Safflinas? I want to upgrade my cold resist set.

The island in the wetlands on the way to Lanayru that used to have the shrine with the flowers you can't step on. If you follow the stables quest for the stolen farming tools you'll end up there. It has most of the ground spawning flowers all in one space that respawn every so often.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I was jumping into chasms last night and decided, for the first time among dozens of times, to drop a glow bulb on the way down.

Only to be greeted with a Frox staring straight up at me with its mouth wide open. And then as I tried to paraglide away it leaped like a hundred metres into the air to try and eat me.

Scared the poo poo out of me.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Phenotype posted:

I'm scared to look up anything story-related, though, so can someone please give me a pointer? Where should I go for just some basic info on Spooky Dave and what he's doing?

I spent 30+ hours without meeting him and then on my way to the Rito village walked past because I came from a different direction.

Ditto autobuild, just never encoutered what is a core piece of functionality because I got distracted away from the main story after getting the glider.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Seconding that doing tears out of order or even just too many at once spoil some major things you don't get to for a while following other main quests. I remember someone here suggesting you should do 2-3 per phenomena and uh that's really not the best idea because Tear #7 spoils something you wouldn't find out until after dealing with the phenomena and the stuff right after it. (Not that it isn't easy to guess but it's ambiguous enough that someone could have other theories about it.) Then I finished up all the tears before finishing up other main quest stuff and (late/endgame spoilers) once you've already seen a dragon with a conspicuous sword on her head you know that the Lost Woods is a dead end lead. None of this detracted the experience because by that point I was more interested in side area storylines instead of the main one, but I can definitely see how it could be an issue if someone, say, heard all the NPCs talking about Lurelin Village and decided "maybe I should fix that for them, ooh while I'm in the area lemme just check this tear really quick--"

Though I guess in fairness it's not all too different from BOTW where you could roll up to Impa with all the other major quests already done, lol.

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 19, 2023

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Blasting fools off perches are worth at least a hundo dollars

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Crawfish posted:

Man, I kinda of went hard on shrines for the first day or two and then stopped. Since i've lit up all of the depths, I know where all the non sky ones are,

Is there a connection between depths and surface shrines I haven't learned about yet?

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

That feeling when you roll upto a Shrine people have been struggling with/complaining about and knock it out of the park first time.

Disclaimer: this is not a brag. I am bad at the Shrines and have to YouTube much easier and dumber solutions. It's just weird how brains work.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

KingKapalone posted:

Is there a connection between depths and surface shrines I haven't learned about yet?

Yes. It’s mentioned in a couple of spots but light roots are directly below overworld shrines so you can use one to find the other. You can find a note outright stating this in one of the yiga underground camps and I think the Josha/Robbie quest lines allude/mention this connection as well.

It basically plays into the overall concept of the depths being similar (in terms of land) to the overworld

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

KingKapalone posted:

All the lightroots in the depths are directly below a surface shrine.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I think it's a little different from Botw in that seeing Impa in that game feels relatively analogous to going to the castle and coming back in Totk.

After you've done that in botw you're set, there's nothing else that's important.

Here:

Hestu is on the way to the Rito village instead of on the way to the castle.

Autobuild requires that you either rng find it in the depths or beat a phenomena.

Great fairies require that you go as far as the press office near the Rito village as well.

So broadly, if you don't go to a specific regional phenomena early and first, a lot of the functionality for upgrades in the game stays locked.

And I think that fights against the freedom that Totk otherwise wants to evoke.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

KingKapalone posted:

the roots are in the same positions as the shrines

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Having finally gotten the game delivered Tuesday afternoon, good Lord am I glad I peeked in here and knew to beeline for Rito Village before wandering off anywhere else. The game is very insistent about directing you in that direction, but it's the difference between taking the direct route and the super scenic route that uncovers the rest of the map first before finally meeting Hestu or whatever other essential bit of useful kit I'd be going without.

Sidenote, I might have played a bit too much and messed up the pattern recognition bits of my brain. Going for a walk outside I was keenly aware of every weird birdcall, was looking at bits of wooded hills and feeling an urge to start climbing them, and was noticing discordant elements of the environment like a chair on the roof of a building or a half-full Big Gulp cup sitting in the middle of the sidewalk and wondering, on some subconscious level, if it was a Korok puzzle.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Asterite34 posted:

Having finally gotten the game delivered Tuesday afternoon, good Lord am I glad I peeked in here and knew to beeline for Rito Village before wandering off anywhere else. The game is very insistent about directing you in that direction, but it's the difference between taking the direct route and the super scenic route that uncovers the rest of the map first before finally meeting Hestu or whatever other essential bit of useful kit I'd be going without.

Sidenote, I might have played a bit too much and messed up the pattern recognition bits of my brain. Going for a walk outside I was keenly aware of every weird birdcall, was looking at bits of wooded hills and feeling an urge to start climbing them, and was noticing discordant elements of the environment like a chair on the roof of a building or a half-full Big Gulp cup sitting in the middle of the sidewalk and wondering, on some subconscious level, if it was a Korok puzzle.

Don't start gluing critters to your car

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Natural 20 posted:

because I came from a different direction.

That's a big part of the problem, a lot of the "incidental but critical" encounters that you come across rely on you following the road to destinations and returning back to it when you go off to check something out... in a game where you can climb most walls and in this one where you have towers that basically let you *fly* wherever you want to go.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I finished all 3 labyrinths and can't believe how poo poo this reward is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
PSA about fusions

Wing shield lets you jump twice as high

Octo balloon shield let’s you float up

Dazzlefruit shield blinds enemies

Bombfruit and timebombs do the same as barrel bombs