Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

steinrokkan posted:

They could use the small peat pots i bought this year to grow my tomato seedlings.

Hm, rustic

Make any beverage taste like lovely whiskey. Mmmmmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

They've had little paper ramekins for ketchup as long as I've been alive. I think mango ranch would also be fine in there at least until you're rightfully taken to prison for making mango ranch

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Still salty that the world does not recognize my accomplishment in using those to create the greatest soda of all time, Vanilla Barq's

Gonna fling a grape Mello Yello into your face.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
still think that diet dr pepper cream soda might be the best new soda ever.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Cherry Vanilla Diet Dr Pepper is the most delicious thing on this planet.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ever dreamed of complementing your food with a delicious mango ranch sauce but gave up because it seemed hopelessly out of reach? Well, you may want to sit down because it's soon becoming a reality:

Kraft Heinz Unveils HEINZ REMIX™, The First Customizable Digital Sauce Dispenser

:d2a:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Really you should be able to order a custom Heinz sauce from a Heinz replicator at a sit down Heinz restaurant and it should be then delivered by a Heinz robot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcniyQYFU6M

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

rydiafan posted:

Cherry Vanilla Diet Dr Pepper is the most delicious thing on this planet.

My old roommate used to buy these by the flat. Only thing he drank

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

https://twitter.com/Snack_Memories/status/1659525809969991682

I know bubble gum was a rad flavor to put in stuff for a while, but this one's just like...what? Why :psyduck:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Captain Hygiene posted:

https://twitter.com/Snack_Memories/status/1659525809969991682

I know bubble gum was a rad flavor to put in stuff for a while, but this one's just like...what? Why :psyduck:

Very recently in this very thread we had someone reminiscing about these!!

Yoshi Jjang posted:

All this discontinued foods talk reminds me of my ultimate favorite snack I'll never have again.

These bubble gum flavored muffins were something I ate a lot as a kid in the 90s. They were colored a bright orange with pink dots scattered on it, and I loved them because they reminded me of the mushrooms that Toad and Peach would throw at you in Super Mario Kart on the SNES. What I'd give to taste these probably-now-sickeningly-sweet muffins again. :3:

I'd try them. Bubble gum is just a variety of fruit flavors plus all mini muffins are delicious.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cage posted:

Very recently in this very thread we had someone reminiscing about these!!

I'd try them. Bubble gum is just a variety of fruit flavors plus all mini muffins are delicious.

I forgot about that! It was last year, though, so it might as well be decades ago to my brain these days.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Tunicate posted:

Coke Freestyle machines support DRM on cups so you get one fill and that's it

"Support" in the same way that a shotgun "supports" putting your dick in it. It's possible, and arguably an intended purpose, and I'm certain someone's used it for that purpose, but I've never seen it happen personally and anyone who does it is asking for a whole bunch of pain.

Even if they added that functionality (they did) nobody uses it. Assumedly it costs less to just have free refills than it does to have bespoke NFC-coded disposable cups.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
The real reason freestyle machines suck is that no one fully cleans them properly and all the sodas taste the same.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i always assume fast food soda machines are infested with an extremely specific kind of roach that evolved to live on soda syrup. it's why the McDonald's Sprite is so powerful. roach secretions.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

big dyke energy posted:

The real reason freestyle machines suck is that no one fully cleans them properly

This is probably the case with almost all food service machines. I worked at a restaurant, and the one time in the three years I worked there that one of my coworkers took it upon herself to clean the ice machine, half the parts in it were covered in black mold.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

uber_stoat posted:

i always assume fast food soda machines are infested with an extremely specific kind of roach that evolved to live on soda syrup. it's why the McDonald's Sprite is so powerful. roach secretions.
McDonald's specifically has their soda machines tuned to output more syrup than other machines.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

KataraniSword posted:

"Support" in the same way that a shotgun "supports" putting your dick in it. It's possible, and arguably an intended purpose, and I'm certain someone's used it for that purpose, but I've never seen it happen personally and anyone who does it is asking for a whole bunch of pain.

Even if they added that functionality (they did) nobody uses it. Assumedly it costs less to just have free refills than it does to have bespoke NFC-coded disposable cups.

I've seen something close to this. Universal Studios in China has/had a sort of mini-Freestyle machine at some of their fast-food style restaurants where you buy a small/med/large Coke/Sprite/whatever at the register and get a cup and a receipt with a QR code that allows you to dispense one (1) serving of your beverage, no customization or refills possible.

Self-serve soft drinks are basically unknown there and it was the only Freestyle machine I've ever seen in China, it actually made me mad to see the functionality being so pointlessly crippled like that.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Are soda refills popular anywhere outside of the US? I don't think I've ever seen it in Australia, whether for table service or at a machine. Outside of unusual special deals, that is.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Mymla posted:

This is probably the case with almost all food service machines. I worked at a restaurant, and the one time in the three years I worked there that one of my coworkers took it upon herself to clean the ice machine, half the parts in it were covered in black mold.

Also the soda guns at bars. Cleaning those the proper way is a pain in the rear end - most places either don't bother, or at best they'll just dunk them in a pitcher full of soda water overnight after they close. If they're feeling really frisky, they'll yank the nozzle and holster and dunk those too.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The freestyle machines never have Beverly wtf

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Gromit posted:

Are soda refills popular anywhere outside of the US? I don't think I've ever seen it in Australia, whether for table service or at a machine. Outside of unusual special deals, that is.

Being amazed at free refills seems to be a common visitor to the US thing.

The only similar example I can think of is family restaurants in Japan often have a drink bar, and if you buy that you can drink as much as you want. But that's not free refills.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Mymla posted:

Honestly I'm surprised sometimes there isn't a plague of food borne illnesses from people going to restaurants with most of them being businesses making decisions based on what costs the least. Do a lot of people just have food poisoning/etc all the time and no one talks about it? Or are humans more resilient than we gives ourselves credit for?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Honestly I'm surprised sometimes there isn't a plague of food borne illnesses from people going to restaurants with most of them being businesses making decisions based on what costs the least. Do a lot of people just have food poisoning/etc all the time and no one talks about it? Or are humans more resilient than we gives ourselves credit for?

i recently started ordering takeout again after not doing so since covid started and within like 2 weeks i got food poisoning. :thumbsup:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Food poisoning is far more common than you think - 90% of the time, if someone says they have a stomach bug or 24 hour flu, it's a mild case of food poisoning.

That said, there is a ton of food regulation in the US. Some good, some bad, some outdated, but we're eating much cleaner, healthier, and better prepared foods today than we have historically. There are other folks on this forum who can go into far more detail.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Don't get me wrong, zero argument that things used to be worse. At least now the mold can't be in plain sight, and you can name any number of other improvements. But if a fast food restaurant where (presumably) hundreds of people are getting black mold tainted ice every day, and (again, presumably) if this is repeated across the other 200,000 fast food places in the US, this seems like it would be a statistically noticeable cause of disease.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

steinrokkan posted:

They could use the small peat pots i bought this year to grow my tomato seedlings.

Hm, rustic
If the rest of the meal was similarly themed, would. Mostly for the experience.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Por que no los dos?

For a good long while, I thought I'd never had food poisoning, despite eating multiple definitely-expired foods. Turns out, the bouts of mild diarrhea I'd have that could be correlated to the food were in fact food poisoning, I just didn't think it was because I wasn't confined to the bathroom for the better part of the day evacuating painfully from both ends, which is really the only food poisoning people will talk about in casual conversation.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Gromit posted:

I know here in Aus that when there were separate Burger King and Hungry Jacks stores, that Burger King had refills

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Gromit posted:

I would think that at least Australia with all of its deserts would have it, since apparently I've heard that the expectation of free water in America came from the hot places where you better be willing to give out free water or they'll die.

I think free refills on everything are generally more of a function of just the soda machine just not being behind the counter. If you're dining in, it's not like anybody's gonna stop you from getting up and refilling your cup. Like they could complain at you, but they can't do anything. There's fast food places that keep drinks behind the counter, and I wouldn't ask at one of those to get a refill.

There are some places that have a whole thing over letting people take and keep cups and bring them in for free refills later, but I've never done that. Seems too weird. I think maybe 7/11 does that? So it'd make sense if some version of that was tried in the far corners of the world that 7/11 has spread to.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I remember when Carl's Jr. was the first place in my hometown to have free refills in like 1990. It was like going to Disneyland, we would all flock there after soccer games. FREE REFILLS!!! :aaaaa:

Then everybody followed suit. McDonald's, BK, Taco Bell. Why wouldn't you? Water and a squirt of syrup costs you 2 cents and you can charge $1.29, who even cares if they get a GARGANTUAN GULP 128oz SOUVENIR CUP and fill it to the brim right before leaving, it doesn't come close to threatening your profits

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

It seems like the question is whether you want another $1.27 of margin from people who are going to get a refill or the marketing benefit of offering free refills. And apparently there's a cultural difference about how companies make that decision.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Are beverage sizes in Aus/etc as ludicrously inflated as they are in the US? That could be a factor too - I don't think I've ever felt the need for a refill since even a small is usually about as much liquid as I want to drink at once, sometimes still bordering on too much depending on the place.

Easy to offer free refills if only a small number of people will ever take you up on them. (and each one costs a penny of syrup)

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

KataraniSword posted:

I've never seen it happen personally and anyone who does it is asking for a whole bunch of pain.
A local restaurant had it set up when they first opened but dropped it pretty quickly.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I feel like anyone speaking to any positive degree regarding overall writ large food health and quality in America is living in bizarro world.

So much of the poo poo we pull is actively illegal in other countries.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

There are some places that have a whole thing over letting people take and keep cups and bring them in for free refills later, but I've never done that. Seems too weird. I think maybe 7/11 does that? So it'd make sense if some version of that was tried in the far corners of the world that 7/11 has spread to.
7-Eleven would give you a discount if you brought in one of their fountain cups for a refill, but that practice was discontinued when COVID hit. I think they'll still give you a discount if you bring in a cup, but they won't actually let you use it--which is dumb as hell if the main reason you're using your own cup is to cut down on plastic waste.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I feel like anyone speaking to any positive degree regarding overall writ large food health and quality in America is living in bizarro world.

So much of the poo poo we pull is actively illegal in other countries.

I'm not sure it's that easy to judge food safety standards like that. Mostly the laws aren't going to be easily more or less strict, they're just going to be different, and while some things the US allows aren't allowed in other countries, some things that the US disallows are allowed to slide in other countries. Maybe some american sodas are banned abroad because of BVO, but Irn Bru is banned here because of its own dubious chemical safety, and there's plenty chemicals that qualify for some places and not others. The US is also tougher about things like animal lungs and milk pasteurization that Europe lets slide. Japan's predilection towards eating raw foods isn't from them having tighter standards, it's from them being more accepting of when they do have food poisoning. Don't eat chicken sashimi.

But at the end of the day, regardless of what specific failings you think the FDA and USDA have, the US just having big food safety regulation organizations is going to put it in the upper quartile of countries for food safety anyways.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Haifisch posted:

Are beverage sizes in Aus/etc as ludicrously inflated as they are in the US? That could be a factor too - I don't think I've ever felt the need for a refill since even a small is usually about as much liquid as I want to drink at once, sometimes still bordering on too much depending on the place.

Easy to offer free refills if only a small number of people will ever take you up on them. (and each one costs a penny of syrup)

Australia has small, medium and large cup sizes at places like McDonalds. I could only find a news article about what those sizes hold, and it said 300ml (10oz), 500ml (17oz), and 650ml (22oz) respectively. US cup sizes were reported being about 50% larger.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gromit posted:

Canada. No, really, we're a separate country. We count.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvc811aAt-E

cursed music tho

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

SlothfulCobra posted:

I would think that at least Australia with all of its deserts would have it, since apparently I've heard that the expectation of free water in America came from the hot places where you better be willing to give out free water or they'll die.

???

what did used to exist was free-with-a-drink lunch buffets as a common feature of drinking establishments, right up until the great depression in some places:

"After Prohibition had killed the saloons, old timers waxed lyrical describing the free lunches of the grand old palaces, or rather the gourmet buffet dinners of tiny, savoury meatballs, French Gruyere cheese, hickory-cured ham, and other dainties...The narrow, twenty-foot-long tables in these establishments had indeed been covered with spotless white linen and plates of delicacies to please the most discerning tastes... Others served cold cuts...yellow cheese, beans...stalks of celery...above all, the free lunch featured salted food--pretzels, rye bread, smoked herring, salted peanuts, peppery sausages, sauerkraut, kippers, rollmops (in German beergardens), potato chips, dill pickles, and sardellen...The theory behind all this, and it was a good theory, was that a couple of shot glasses, or steins, produced appetite that the salty goodies, in turn, produced a mighty thirst. The chain-reaction process of drinking and nibbling, nibbling and drinking could to on for hours during which the customers spent a lot on booze. Free lunches varied, of course; in places where the barkeep was German, there might be slices of blutwurst, zervelatwurst, and landjaegers to tempt the patrons. Italian saloon owners might serve calzone and pepperoni, though seldom west of the Mississippi. Two places in Chicago gave away thick, creamy pies to old customers. In the Southwest the faithful helped themselves from a bowl of chili con carne, or nibbled on nachos--small, salty squares of crisp tortillas covered wtih frijoles and melted cheese...Some bars had their daily free lunch specialties--franks on Monday, roast beef on Saturday, baked fish on Friday, and so on. Some saloons were more generous than others. Many advertised, 'A fried oyster, a clam, or a hard-boiled egg with every drink'...The word "lunch" should not be take literally. It blended imperceptibly into free breakfast and free dinner...The same salted goods waited patiently on their fly-speckled plates morning, noon, and night. The free lunch posed problems for many bartenders. The institution rested on the honor system. Supposedly no creature walking on two legs would be so low as to approach the free lunch table without having first consumed, and paid for, at least two drinks. But there were many human skunks--sad to say, great numbers of them--who were not honorable."
---Saloons of the Old West, Richard Erdoes [Alfred A. Knopf:New York] 1979 (p. 116-118)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loose-fish
Apr 1, 2005
Classic case of german pizza crime with random us region attached