Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There's not really a big difference between 60 and 75 Hz. It's a little bit smoother and more responsive to control, but it's really not a big deal or worth spending extra on. On the other hand, 4K is a massive upgrade over 1080p, but the 6700 XT is going to struggle to play games smoothly at that resolution. 1440p is considered the sweet spot middle ground option right now, as it offers good picture quality and isn't too difficult to drive, and there are a ton of 1440p 144+ hz monitors available for $250 or less (e.g. this one), and those higher refresh rates really do make a difference.

Awesome, thanks. I looked at some comparable ones, and thought about the games I'd play and found this which I may go with: Sceptre E275W
My old monitor is a Sceptre, seems to be a good brand and this is about the same just at 75hz instead of 144hz and about $80 less. Weirdly (or not so weirdly) I didn't find much in 60hz in the 1440p offerings. There's like, a ton of other little gubbins and goodies built into different monitors and stuff but I think I'll end up out in the weeds worrying about that too much. As long as Kerbal Space Program looks pretty I'm happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

$219 Core i7-13700KF on Newegg: https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i7-13700kf-core-i7-13th-gen/p/N82E16819118415

Budget builds are back, baby. A 13700 /6700 XT machine is no slouch. You can even cheap out and use DDR4!

This is from a third-party seller with a 61% positive rating only, and it ships from Hong Kong. Reading their reviews, they don't seem like outright scammers, but there's a chance that this will be a used/open box product despite it being listed as new, and it might take forever to arrive or get lost in customs. So, buyer beware.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 16, 2023

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

El Spamo posted:

Awesome, thanks. I looked at some comparable ones, and thought about the games I'd play and found this which I may go with: Sceptre E275W
My old monitor is a Sceptre, seems to be a good brand and this is about the same just at 75hz instead of 144hz and about $80 less. Weirdly (or not so weirdly) I didn't find much in 60hz in the 1440p offerings. There's like, a ton of other little gubbins and goodies built into different monitors and stuff but I think I'll end up out in the weeds worrying about that too much. As long as Kerbal Space Program looks pretty I'm happy.

This is a bad monitor please don't buy it, go to the dedicated monitor thread and look for what's currently being recommended. With the PC you bought you would be able to push higher frame rates than 75hz, so you'd be leaving performance on the table if you went with this. Also it's a weird brand without many reputable reviews online and I can't even see if it has any freesync technology which is something you absolutely should have in a new gaming monitor in TYOOL 2023.

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
I have a Fractal Design Define C with a very sticky power button. If I don't press it at just the right angle it'll be stuck on and put the computer in a boot loop.

Some potential fixes I've seen poking around:

- Rewire the reset button as the power button
- Put some rubbing alcohol around the button and see if that works

Anyone have thoughts or perhaps a better solution? I've wondered if I can access the button somehow and lube it a little bit?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Disconnecting the power, spraying some contact cleaner into the side of the button and pressing it a bunch of times then leaving it to dry for a few minutes should work

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Lackmaster posted:

I have a Fractal Design Define C with a very sticky power button. If I don't press it at just the right angle it'll be stuck on and put the computer in a boot loop.

Some potential fixes I've seen poking around:

- Rewire the reset button as the power button
- Put some rubbing alcohol around the button and see if that works

Anyone have thoughts or perhaps a better solution? I've wondered if I can access the button somehow and lube it a little bit?

Buy an external button, put it somewhere more convenient.

https://a.co/d/65TAzae

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

People use their power buttons? Huh

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

kri kri posted:

People use their power buttons? Huh

I have mine set up so that nothing can wake my computer except the power button.

This way I can plug in my wireless mouse or bump my desk and not have to worry about it waking up the machine while it’s asleep.

The only way to wake it up is a mechanical keyboard key way in the back of my desk.

This started because my computer used to be on the floor and my toddler was able to reach the power button.

Just don’t forget about it if you have to move the PC to do maintenance or you’re going to rip a cable out of your motherboard.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Butterfly Valley posted:

This is a bad monitor please don't buy it, go to the dedicated monitor thread and look for what's currently being recommended. With the PC you bought you would be able to push higher frame rates than 75hz, so you'd be leaving performance on the table if you went with this. Also it's a weird brand without many reputable reviews online and I can't even see if it has any freesync technology which is something you absolutely should have in a new gaming monitor in TYOOL 2023.

It is? I thought that was a decent brand, I've seen them around forever and had a couple of their TVs and monitors in my life.
Hardware is such a rabbit hole, I'll pop over to the monitor thread like you said and get some advice there. I've never heard of freesync, I thought that was just a marketing buzzword.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

What country are you in? US
Do you live near Microcenter? No
What are you using the system for? Light gaming, web use.
What's your budget? $600 ish
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? Triple monitors, 1080

My current gaming/goof off system is around nine years old (intel 4770) and it's probably long past time to upgrade. I'm planning on reusing my existing nVidia 1060 card. I don't do much in the way of newer games, mostly Factorio, Wow, and sometimes Elite. I added a sound card to my list since my office is wired for 5.1 and I like having it. I probably don't need two m.2 drives, but I'll be moving stuff off of the three 250 gig drives I already have.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13400F 2.5 GHz 10-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte B660M DS3H AX DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 CL16 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN570 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN570 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply
Sound Card: Creative Labs 70SB157000000 Sound Card
Total: $593.67

Anything jump out as a mistake or should I go ahead and start ordering parts?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

El Spamo posted:

It is? I thought that was a decent brand, I've seen them around forever and had a couple of their TVs and monitors in my life.
Hardware is such a rabbit hole, I'll pop over to the monitor thread like you said and get some advice there. I've never heard of freesync, I thought that was just a marketing buzzword.

I'm not trying to be harsh here but it sounds like you're very much out of date with your knowledge and you'd really benefit from doing some more thorough research before buying something you'll use for the next however many years. Spending an extra $100 right now will get you a much better screen.

I'm not in the US but the immediate impression (and the continued one after more thoroughly reading) I got when looking at the monitor you linked was 'low budget, unknown brand only sold to a specific market, misleading or outright false advertising, only suitable as a second screen or office monitor for people who don't care or know better'. Go and read the amazon reviews, positive and negative, if you want to see what I mean - the negative ones have a litany of problems, and even the 5* ones are very neutral. More importantly, I can't find any reviews for it on any actual reputable sites.

Monitor tech has come on a long way since the last time you were in the market, evidently. Freesync is AMD's version of vsync, which is absolutely not marketing buzz, and I mentioned it because you've just bought a decent AMD card. It means that your monitor's refresh rate changes to match the framerate output from your GPU, which eliminates all tearing and results in a much smoother experience, and is a baseline necessity for buying any new monitor you'll be gaming on.

You were asking earlier about resolutions: 1080p screens are generally viewed as budget these days, except for extremely high framerate options only for esports twitch gamers. Any size bigger than 24" is going to start looking ugly because of the pixel density. 1440p is seen as the sweet spot of clarity vs performance at the moment, with 27" being the most common size. 4k displays are premium (although coming down in price), but are well beyond what you'd feasibly be able to get good performance from your GPU for so not worth your consideration.

All monitors primarily designed for gaming these days will have as a minimum 144hz refresh rate, along with some form of VRR (variable refresh rate) technology, so freesync or gsync. This means on less demanding games you'll be able to run them at those high frame rates, and then for more demanding games the monitor will adjust the refresh rate so it'll still perform well if framerates drop into the 60s or lower. Without experiencing this you might think it's jargon but once you've enjoyed it you'll wonder how you lived with the older tech.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 17, 2023

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

diremonk posted:

Do you live near Microcenter? No
What are you using the system for? Light gaming, web use.
What's your budget? $600 ish
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? Triple monitors, 1080

My current gaming/goof off system is around nine years old (intel 4770) and it's probably long past time to upgrade. I'm planning on reusing my existing nVidia 1060 card. I don't do much in the way of newer games, mostly Factorio, Wow, and sometimes Elite. I added a sound card to my list since my office is wired for 5.1 and I like having it. I probably don't need two m.2 drives, but I'll be moving stuff off of the three 250 gig drives I already have.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13400F 2.5 GHz 10-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte B660M DS3H AX DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 CL16 Memory
Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply
Sound Card: Creative Labs 70SB157000000 Sound Card
Total: $593.67

Anything jump out as a mistake or should I go ahead and start ordering parts?

That motherboard already has 5.1 sound, and it's not going to be noticeably worse than a bottom of the barrel Sound Blaster ie. they're probably both going to kinda suck.

I'd spend a couple of bucks on a tower cooler for the CPU as even a cheap one will be a solid quality of life upgrade over the stock cooler. Something like a Thermalright Assassin Spirit X/Assassin King or whatever the gently caress they're calling it would work fine.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Seems like Intel and AMD are trading blows quite well at the moment? Hotter and more power hungry Intel v cooler and more efficient AMD, or is that a gross simplification?
I'm curious about this too. Trying to decide between either the i7-13700k or the Ryzen 9 7900x combos from Micro Center.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Butterfly Valley posted:

I'm not trying to be harsh here but it sounds like you're very much out of date with your knowledge and you'd really benefit from doing some more thorough research before buying something you'll use for the next however many years. Spending an extra $100 right now will get you a much better screen.

I'm not in the US but the immediate impression (and the continued one after more thoroughly reading) I got when looking at the monitor you linked was 'low budget, unknown brand only sold to a specific market, misleading or outright false advertising, only suitable as a second screen or office monitor for people who don't care or know better'. Go and read the amazon reviews, positive and negative, if you want to see what I mean - the negative ones have a litany of problems, and even the 5* ones are very neutral. More importantly, I can't find any reviews for it on any actual reputable sites.

Monitor tech has come on a long way since the last time you were in the market, evidently. Freesync is AMD's version of vsync, which is absolutely not marketing buzz, and I mentioned it because you've just bought a decent AMD card. It means that your monitor's refresh rate changes to match the framerate output from your GPU, which eliminates all tearing and results in a much smoother experience, and is a baseline necessity for buying any new monitor you'll be gaming on.

You were asking earlier about resolutions: 1080p screens are generally viewed as budget these days, except for extremely high framerate options only for esports twitch gamers. Any size bigger than 24" is going to start looking ugly because of the pixel density. 1440p is seen as the sweet spot of clarity vs performance at the moment, with 27" being the most common size. 4k displays are premium (although coming down in price), but are well beyond what you'd feasibly be able to get good performance from your GPU for so not worth your consideration.

All monitors primarily designed for gaming these days will have as a minimum 144hz refresh rate, along with some form of VRR (variable refresh rate) technology, so freesync or gsync. This means on less demanding games you'll be able to run them at those high frame rates, and then for more demanding games the monitor will adjust the refresh rate so it'll still perform well if framerates drop into the 60s or lower. Without experiencing this you might think it's jargon but once you've enjoyed it you'll wonder how you lived with the older tech.

Oh no, not at all, I'm replacing an 7+ year old system and despite my day job being in tech my off-work hobbies are gardening and arts. I don't have a ton of time for research, or the specific knowledge to know what to look for so comments like this kind of... well, do the work for me. I'm grateful for that. I did do some reading though and looked at some articles about new tech and stuff. Interestingly, the chat AIs were kinda helpful in narrowing things down. Not perfect, obviously, but definitely an effective noise reducer. Of the three out there, Bing, ChatGPT, and Bard I thought that Bard did the 'best' job of filtering and presenting options for queries like "A 1440p monitor with freesync from a reputable brand, under $250". Plus, follow-up questions that maintain the thread of the search was quite nice. The options available are a HUGE leap from when I was last shopping for anything like that and tons of dials and buttons most of which I will set once and never touch again. My parts should be arriving in a day or two, so I'll get everything built and then focus on this monitor situation.

Speaking of building, I have an interesting question about fans. I have a handful of 120mm fans lying around, enough to put up to four additional fans into the case (the manual says it'll support up to 6 fans). I get the impression that generally moving air around is good, but since I have some options I'm wondering if any of these might be a shade better. I live in a hot climate and my office is moderately dusty.
The case itself is almost all metal mesh, very airy and open. I can put fans on the base as well as the top, and maybe on the front. The built-in fan on the back exhausts outwards so that's set.
Should I try for a positive air pressure kind of situation and put a fan on the top and bottom blowing in?
Or maybe go for a negative air pressure and have all the fans venting out since airflow in is so easy?
Mix it up, top fan goes out and bottom fan blows in?
There's a dust filter slot on the base of the case which implies an blow-in fan on the bottom, but since the rest of the case is so open I'm kinda skeptical as to how effective that filter might actually be. Could catch some pet hair I guess.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

El Spamo posted:

Oh no, not at all, I'm replacing an 7+ year old system and despite my day job being in tech my off-work hobbies are gardening and arts. I don't have a ton of time for research, or the specific knowledge to know what to look for so comments like this kind of... well, do the work for me. I'm grateful for that. I did do some reading though and looked at some articles about new tech and stuff. Interestingly, the chat AIs were kinda helpful in narrowing things down. Not perfect, obviously, but definitely an effective noise reducer. Of the three out there, Bing, ChatGPT, and Bard I thought that Bard did the 'best' job of filtering and presenting options for queries like "A 1440p monitor with freesync from a reputable brand, under $250". Plus, follow-up questions that maintain the thread of the search was quite nice. The options available are a HUGE leap from when I was last shopping for anything like that and tons of dials and buttons most of which I will set once and never touch again. My parts should be arriving in a day or two, so I'll get everything built and then focus on this monitor situation.

Speaking of building, I have an interesting question about fans. I have a handful of 120mm fans lying around, enough to put up to four additional fans into the case (the manual says it'll support up to 6 fans). I get the impression that generally moving air around is good, but since I have some options I'm wondering if any of these might be a shade better. I live in a hot climate and my office is moderately dusty.
The case itself is almost all metal mesh, very airy and open. I can put fans on the base as well as the top, and maybe on the front. The built-in fan on the back exhausts outwards so that's set.
Should I try for a positive air pressure kind of situation and put a fan on the top and bottom blowing in?
Or maybe go for a negative air pressure and have all the fans venting out since airflow in is so easy?
Mix it up, top fan goes out and bottom fan blows in?
There's a dust filter slot on the base of the case which implies an blow-in fan on the bottom, but since the rest of the case is so open I'm kinda skeptical as to how effective that filter might actually be. Could catch some pet hair I guess.

is there like, a reason you didn't just go post in the monitor thread in this here forum rather than going to AI text nonsense :psyduck:

you want positive pressure otherwise you will suck dust in to the case through all those nice mesh holes

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

is there like, a reason you didn't just go post in the monitor thread in this here forum rather than going to AI text nonsense :psyduck:

you want positive pressure otherwise you will suck dust in to the case through all those nice mesh holes

I haven't gotten around to it yet and also I was curious. I haven't made any final decisions, just gathering ideas.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The OP was made when DDR5 cost over $200 for 32GB. It's now quite a bit more affordable than it used to be, so it's no longer a major consideration when choosing a platform. I think Intel buyers should use DDR5 by default now and only consider DDR4 if you're on a really tight budget. AMD buyers are choosing between Ryzen 7000 (DDR5-only) and Ryzen 5000 (DDR4-only). AMD vs Intel depends on the current prices in your region. If you're going with AMD and are building from scratch, then the 7000 chips make the most sense in my opinion, but I'd probably go with the 7700 in your case. The extra two cores will do you well in the long run. If you were to go with Intel, then I'd go with either the 13600K or 13700K, though be aware that they require beefier cooling than the 7700 (which is a supremely efficient chip).

The 6700 XT is fine, but I don't know how much longevity it really has in it. I would probably look to 6800 XT instead, as it has 16GB of VRAM and a bit more juice in the GPU. But this also depends on your screen's resolution, the kinds of games you play, and if you'd like to play with ray tracing and all that. If you're still using 1080p 60hz or whatever, then the 6700 XT will be fine. 1440p or 4K will want at least a 6800 XT. If you want to use ray tracing, then I'd just get an Nvidia card like the 4070. I'm less pessimistic about 12GB of VRAM than Yudo is, but more is always nicer when possible.

Thanks for the info, so that pretty much settles the matter and I'll be opting for DDR5. Not an issue going for beefier cooling depending on the CPU, my 4670K has had a Corsair H60 AIO fitted since day one thats still going like a champ nearly 10 years later so I was looking into going with another AIO for this system.

I'm hesitant about going for a 6800XT as looking around prices in the UK they can be had for around £550, whereas the 6700XT is around £370, so thats quite a significant price increase. At the moment I'm playing at 1080p, as my setup (desk, chair & monitor) was kindly provided by my employer and while the monitor is pretty nice and has some good features, its still just 1080p. I'm looking to upgrade to a 1440p monitor at some point in the future but I have no idea on what kind of timescale that will be, so based on what you've said I think the 6700XT is a safer bet - unless something changes in the next few months.

Still though, £370 for a card released 2 years ago, absolute madness.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Thanks for the info, so that pretty much settles the matter and I'll be opting for DDR5. Not an issue going for beefier cooling depending on the CPU, my 4670K has had a Corsair H60 AIO fitted since day one thats still going like a champ nearly 10 years later so I was looking into going with another AIO for this system.

I'm hesitant about going for a 6800XT as looking around prices in the UK they can be had for around £550, whereas the 6700XT is around £370, so thats quite a significant price increase. At the moment I'm playing at 1080p, as my setup (desk, chair & monitor) was kindly provided by my employer and while the monitor is pretty nice and has some good features, its still just 1080p. I'm looking to upgrade to a 1440p monitor at some point in the future but I have no idea on what kind of timescale that will be, so based on what you've said I think the 6700XT is a safer bet - unless something changes in the next few months.

Still though, £370 for a card released 2 years ago, absolute madness.

If you want newer kit, Nvidia is rolling out the 4060 and 4060ti, amd the 7600. I don't know what the prices will be in the UK, but the 4060 at $300 usd will likely be at parity if not a bit faster than the 6700xt in 1080p, and it can use Nvidia's frame generation. The 4060 will also consume half the electricity vis-a-vis the 6700xt. Given your needs, it may be worth it to wait a few weeks.

Yudo fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 18, 2023

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
Any thoughts on the Thermaltake GF3 vs MSI A850G for psu? They're both on the cultist list but I've only had two psus before and they were both Corsair so idk.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My daughter has a school assignment to research and specify a computer setup for a video editor. I can happily talk her through pcpartpicker and such, but I was wondering what general guides to “so you want to build a computer…” are out there that I might also point her at for more background.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Tha_Joker_GAmer posted:

Any thoughts on the Thermaltake GF3 vs MSI A850G for psu? They're both on the cultist list but I've only had two psus before and they were both Corsair so idk.

They are both OEMed by the same company, CWT, using modified versions of the csz platform. CWT is a reputable OEM who also makes products for several other well known brands including corsair and nzxt. Either will work fine.

Of the two you listed, I would prefer the Thermaltake GF3 if only because I can find reviews of it. The A1000G has fairly positive reviews, but there are better options at least in that class. The knock on the Thermaltake GF3 (and nzxt c series) is that it is loud. If noise bothers you, the Montech Titan Gold is also a CWT made csz platform psu, but with a much better fan speed curve.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

My daughter has a school assignment to research and specify a computer setup for a video editor. I can happily talk her through pcpartpicker and such, but I was wondering what general guides to “so you want to build a computer…” are out there that I might also point her at for more background.

Logical Increments is able to recommend varying builds and alternatives for varying price points, as well as how they perform vs. a baseline build. But, if you're looking specifically for video editing workstation advice... Puget Systems does systems integration for people who do that sort of work with computers, and publishes detailed articles on what's good for what software.

She might even be able to talk to someone who works for Puget Systems and get a breakdown of what a video editor would be looking for in a computer build.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/solutions/video-editing-workstations/

https://www.pugetsystems.com/contact-expert/

If you contact them for advice, specify that you're doing research for a school project, not intending to purchase a workstation after the consult, and see if they will work with you on advice for designing a machine for video editing.

(one of the important things that a content creation professional like a video editor likes, and most articles will miss, is a very good warranty and support, as machine downtime is lost money, it's why Puget Systems machines are expensive as hell)

orange juche fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 19, 2023

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight
Just gonna make this giant post to see if anything I've chosen stands out to more informed people as a problem before I pull the trigger on all of this:

Do you live near Microcenter? Nope

What are you using the system for? Gaming mostly, some 3d modeling and rendering, loving around with kobold ai or whatever other dumb ai thing. I mostly play Path of Exile, but I'd like to revisit Cyberpunk and Witcher 3 with their fancy new ray tracing stuff at some point. I'm just looking for something powerful that will be rock solid for the next 4 or 5 years with only the odd GPU or aio liquid cooler replacement.

What's your budget? Up to around $5500'ish

Monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics? 1440p, 140hz+, dual monitor, high fps at full resolution is usually more important to me than across-the-board ultra settings. I don't plan on stepping up to 4k until after I get either a 4090ti or 5090, whichever comes first.

what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? Photoshop, DAZ, and ZBrush are the main non-gaming programs I'm concerned with. They should all be fine. I might add Blender to the list; I don't have any experience with it though.

My old tower is dead in the water, and I've been waiting on a big cash infusion to build its replacement. The money is here and come the first week of June Diablo 4 is going to eat all of my free time for a bit, so the next ten or so days is it. This little laptop 1650 I'm currently using is doing its level best, but having a 3090ti just sitting next to me in a big dead box is hurting my soul.

Part Picker List The 3090ti in the list is a stand-in for the 3090ti I'm going to reuse from my current pc.

CPU: i9 13900k Because I want the integrated graphics for windows install during the build, and also just in case my graphics card dies before the rest of the system as has happened in the past. I looked at the KS, but it doesn't seem like it gets enough performance to be worth the even worse thermals and higher wattage. I'd planned on building an AMD system with a 7950X3D but all the finicky stuff with the extra cache only being on one CCD and not the other, lower RAM clocks that also have a heavier performance impact, and the whole thing with the 7800X3D literally melting itself I kind of feel like Intel is the more stable bet. I'm open to reconsidering though.

CPU Cooler: Deepcool LT720 It's supposedly pretty good and the infinity mirror block is neat. It comes in white (or off-white, according to some unhappy reviewers). This is one of the parts I'm not super sure about. I'm open to suggestions on 360mm aio's. White or silver preferred, I can take or leave the rgb.

Motherboard: MSI MPG Edge Z790 This is the bit I'm least sure of. $300+ feels like a lot to spend on a motherboard, but I know in the current environment it's actually on the low end for "prosumer" parts. I'm throwing a lot of money at this build, but I don't want to spend completely unnecessarily. The case I've chosen doesn't support E-ATX boards either, so that rules out the very most expensive boards. I'm looking for good build quality, at least 3 NVME 4.0 slots, white or silver color scheme to match the rest of the internals if possible but that's not at all a requirement. One other concern is that I'll likely want to step up to a 2x48gb DDR5 set, especially if rumors of a 36gb VRAM 4090ti are true. For DAZ in particular, it's important that you have a little over double the VRAM used in a rendered scene as available space in system RAM at the start of the render. For instance, if I can manage to fill up all 36gb of VRAM with a single renderable scene in DAZ, I would need probably 80+gb of available system RAM to render that scene without creating a page file on my system drive and slowing things to a crawl. I don't know if this motherboard could support 48gb sticks or if there's a way to tell which ones will be able to. I'd like to avoid using all 4 dimm slots and having to run my RAM at default speed.

RAM: G. Skill Trident z5 64gb I'm not huge into rgb, but I like the way it's implemented on these, and I'm trying to stick with mostly white or silver components.

Case: Fractal Design North This is going to be a little tricky, but I really want to use this case. I like the goofy wood front panel, I like the general shape of it, and since I'm going with the 360mm aio I want to put that radiator along the top of the case, which you can't do in my runner-up choice, the Fractal Torrent. Another huge point in its favor is the mesh side panel. All of these tempered glass sides scare the poo poo out of me. Maybe I can get a tempered glass side for it for when it's at home so I can see the internals, but this thing is going to be carried up and down stairs, thrown in a car and driven hundreds of miles when I go away to visit friends, so there are ample opportunities for glass to fail. I'm going to have to pull out the drive cages from the bottom to fit the psu I'm going with, but I would have done that to ease cable routing anyway. The big thing is I may have to take out the bottom front fan to fit the ridiculous shroud on my Zotac 3090ti, which is roughly 2mm longer than the listed maximum space with the fan in. I've seen pictures of builds with this card and the bottom fan still in place, so I'll just wait and see. Come to it, I'll use the bottom front fan as the rear exhaust fan. Odds are I'll also have to leave the side panel off until my Cablemod 90-degree power adapter comes but that's fine.

Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower gf3 1650w I'm aware that this is overkill. The 1350w version would more than meet my needs, but I figure it's $30 more to get the second 12vhpwr cable, and who knows what the 5090 and beyond are going to look like. The idea here is that I can probably carry this forward to the build after this one.

This whole section is going to look a little ridiculous, but I'm taking the opportunity to step up all of my drives that would benefit to NVME's and my generic data to SATA SSD's. I just want everything to feel snappier:

System Drive: Solidigm P44 Pro 2tb I don't tend to keep much on my system drive, so it's okay for this to be "smaller".

Game Drive: Western Digital SN850X Fast and big, should last me just about forever.

3d Runtime Drive: Inland Performance Plus 8tb I realized after I posted a question about NVME's in the SSD thread that I might need a drive larger than 4tb for my 3d stuff. I have it on a 6tb platter drive, but I can't recall if it's currently 2.5tb or 3.5tb of data. I'd rather spend the money on the big drive now, than get a 4tb drive, find out it's not enough to have room to add assets, and then need to buy a larger drive later anyway. I know I'm going to continue adding new 3d assets, so I may as well just make sure I've got the space. I wasn't sure if I should go with this drive or the similar Sabrent Rocket 8tb, but google says they have the same internals and the Sabrent costs $100 more. Unless the tiny bit of heat shielding on the Sabrent would make a real difference, I'd rather save the money.

Data Drives: Crucial MX 500 4tbx2. They're good and they're cheap, what more can you ask for? I've got one 4tb platter drive of all my random movies, tv shows, etc almost full to clone over to one of them, then I'll have the second one to fill up as I continue to hoard digital files until I die.

edit: vvvv Yeah, a little excess is an intentional component. This is my gift to me, from me, for coming out the other side of four years of bad personal poo poo.

Rocketpriest fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 19, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

NGL that seems excessive and the 7800x3d is an asus issue (afaik) not related to the chip.

I’d strongly encourage you to check it out.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

NGL that seems excessive and the 7800x3d is an asus issue (afaik) not related to the chip.

Also, the Zen 4 chips all have an igpu now for video display. It's not a powerful one at all, but it can do enough to get video to a monitor for setup.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

The issue with X3D chips killing themselves isn't an Asus-only issue but it's been fixed with BIOS updates. Motherboard manufacturers weren't ensuring that the SOC voltage stayed below 1.3V with EXPO enabled.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

The issue with X3D chips killing themselves isn't an Asus-only issue but it's been fixed with BIOS updates. Motherboard manufacturers weren't ensuring that the SOC voltage stayed below 1.3V with EXPO enabled.

I think it's more it's *still* an ASUS issue because even after the BIOS update, ASUS's QC is such poo poo that their BIOS cannot keep from pushing 1.35v or more to the SOC under EXPO. Everyone else has fixed it, but ASUS has not, and they're whining that it's the customer's fault now that the motherboards are burning out chips.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

orange juche posted:

I think it's more it's *still* an ASUS issue because even after the BIOS update, ASUS's QC is such poo poo that their BIOS cannot keep from pushing 1.35v or more to the SOC under EXPO. Everyone else has fixed it, but ASUS has not, and they're whining that it's the customer's fault now that the motherboards are burning out chips.

ASUS puts MacAfee on its prebuilts. I have lost so much respect for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpnZYKZTZqI

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-ryzen-7000-voltage-issues-persist-for-gigabyte-and-asus-motherboards-despite-bios-updates.html

Maybe its not "just" ASUS.

But I do have zero respect for Gigabyte for personal hardware reasons and then the shady PSU stuff they pulled so I'm not shocked to see them here.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

So msi is the highlander of pcb makers? And no, asrock doesn't count.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

orange juche posted:

All the posts I've seen in the AMD megathread have indicated VSOC is now fine, my Asus motherboard included. I think you may be working with old information, but I could similarly be unaware of how things are going with a larger sample size.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

All the posts I've seen in the AMD megathread have indicated VSOC is now fine, my Asus motherboard included. I think you may be working with old information, but I could similarly be unaware of how things are going with a larger sample size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbGfc-JBxlY

Unless they issued a new, non-beta bios in the last 7 days, they're still poo poo. Stating on your BIOS download that the BIOS to fix a critical flaw in your firmware is a beta, and using it will void your motherboard and CPU warranty is horseshit.

With EXPO on, on the latest BIOS, the board still overshoots their own VSOC set points by .05 to .06v on VSOC, while already being .05v *over* AMD's recommended maximum VSOC of 1.3v. They fixed absolutely dick. ASUS's response is for people to turn off EXPO, and blaming the failures on users utilising EXPO and not their lovely BIOS.

(EXPO is really important on AMD, you give up nearly 20% of your system's performance if you turn it off)

orange juche fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 19, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

^^^^ They indeed issued a new, non-beta bios in the last few days. They've also changed their warranty policy since that video went live, and using expo or beta bios versions will no longer void your warranty.

No matter who made your motherboard, update to the latest BIOS and you'll be fine. It was an extremely rare issue to begin with, and the newest bios versions will prevent any possible issues from happening in the future. If you want to be extra obsessive over it, you can manually adjust your SOC voltage to 1.25, which is a safe operating voltage that should ensure all expo profiles are stable.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 19, 2023

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

spunkshui posted:

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-ryzen-7000-voltage-issues-persist-for-gigabyte-and-asus-motherboards-despite-bios-updates.html

Maybe its not "just" ASUS.

But I do have zero respect for Gigabyte for personal hardware reasons and then the shady PSU stuff they pulled so I'm not shocked to see them here.

Gigabyte has been poo poo tier for a while, the only motherboard I had to RMA 3 times has been a gigabyte board, along with the lovely customer support throughout that RMA adventure. ASUS had been riding high on having good marketing, while hiding that they had problems as bad as loving Diablotek. At least with Diablotek you knew you were buying a PSU that was going to destroy anything it was attached to, vs ASUS where you expected it to not cause 500 dollars in silicon to go up in smoke.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 19, 2023

fart_man_69
May 18, 2009

spf3million posted:

I'm curious about this too. Trying to decide between either the i7-13700k or the Ryzen 9 7900x combos from Micro Center.

At gaming the 13700k is better in most titles, at productivity tasks they're almost exactly equal. The new Ryzen x processors run very hot as well, unless you switch to eco-mode which has a performance cost. You can also undervolt the 13700k for a significant reduction in temperatures, and with a slight overclock on top it's still faster than stock. Eco-mode on the AMD makes heat almost a non-issue though.

I was deciding between those two a few months ago and went with the 13700k for the better gaming performance and price. If you want to upgrade your CPU in the next two or three years without buying a new motherboard then AMD is the only option.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Performance scaling with the ryzen cpus when tdp starved is better than Intel. By a fair bit. But then there's AMD and DDR5... Ugh.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I need new ram. Canada. How should I go about it?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fractal Design Pop Air Black (no RGB) for $50 + $13 shipping at Newegg: https://www.newegg.com/black-fractal-design-pop-air-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811352168

This case wasn't exactly a chart topper for thermals in GamersNexus' review, but this is a great budget option and easily the best case you can buy at this price.

Arrhythmia posted:

For what CPU and motherboard?

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Can eco mode be good enough for 4k 120hz ultra? Guess that’s more GPU dependent, but how about 7800X3D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

Canada computers. Memory Express. Newegg if you can stomach them.