Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've been reading the ember knight which I'm liking a lot despite the fairly sparse art. Reminds me a bit of ares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Surviving the Game as a Barbarian is just Isekai Pixel Dungeon and it's pretty fun so far.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Brought To You By posted:

Re-reading Peerless dad with the Tapas translations instead of having a different group every 30ish chapters really cleared things up for me. This is also the first manhwa that I've followed that really gets into the politics of these Murim stories. The few other's I've read have only really been one sect versus another or just a lone warrior that kind of does his own thing with light politics. Noh's philosophy of "seeing things through" is what really endears me to him as a character. And the brilliant Dragon Pavillion is a good capstone for how Noh

Yeah always support the legal translations if possible. The unofficial ones are generally speedscans rushed out by competing groups and tend to confuse readers. This seems to be especially prevalent in, uh, Legend of the Northern Blade, where two similarly-named groups are speedscanning it and both aren't very good and whenever I read the comments the readers are always lost because the TL is wrong.

And yeah I love that Noh actually takes a part in politics cause usually the MC is so absurdly strong that they can just ignore the politics, or they're just angry and trying to break the entire system. Or sometimes there aren't any politics at all, just struggles between sects and you're supposed to buy that political poo poo is happening in the background but it's just sorta handwaved or vaguely suggested.

But Father, Peerless goes into the power struggle between the two Tang sons and how it's affected the entire Heavenly Dragon Association (Wise Dragon is backing the eldest son, Martial Dragon's technically backing the second son because his daughter is married to him), from the people at the very top to the smaller and weaker schools/clans/etc. underneath them. You get Noh reflecting on how swiftly the court of opinion turned against him and then for him when he was accused of killing a child, you have him talking with the Wise Dragon and seething over the way the blame game is played. You see how the political poo poo trickles down even to the children, with their cliques and bullying and classism and elitism.

You also see what happens when you play the political game wrong - like how Ilcho ends up dying because he trusted the second son to send backup (Noh himself regrets trying to go back and forth between the two sons in the first place, when the actual answer, Tang Gun-oh, was right there) - or when you don't play the game at all - Tang Gun-oh, despite being the best person to succeed Tang Mun-bi, constantly tries to make peace between the two sons and avoid claiming power for himself, and we see the fallout during the war when the sons keep up their petty power struggles and destroy the chain of command.

I really appreciate how reflective and contemplative Noh is as a protagonist. He's outraged that he's being lambasted for mercy-killing a child who was in extreme pain, which caused him no small amount of agony to go through with, but at the same time as a father he understands the child's father's rage. He's a bit cynical when thinking about how people who couldn't help him when he needed it only start repaying him for saving their children after he's been cleared of the charges, but he also admits that he would have done the same in their place. He only starts really pushing back when people start transferring the blame and hate onto his children and his nanny's son, telling himself that he's fine, he can handle and understand it when the blame is one him, but the whole guilt-by-association and tormenting of innocent children enrages him.

There's also his inner monologue during the war, where he lays out why he tries to live a virtuous life, to live life on the straight and narrow despite the ills that have befallen him (like his wife's death) and all the evil and cruelty he's witnessed - his children. Because he has children, and if karma does exist, he doesn't want his sins to be inherited by them. Because he's a father, and because he's a man.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Viral Hit: After Hobin's lengthy infiltration arc this extended joke where Taehun speedruns almost the same thing using overwhelming violence is pretty great.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

how does reading stuff on tapas actually work? Seems like a ton of stuff is locked

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

First few chapters are usually free and you gotta pay to read the rest. Some comics will let you unlock more free chapters once a day or so until you get too close to current stuff but I think they only stay unlocked temporarily.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 22 days!)

started reading "To Be An Actor" webtoon
its one of the longer ones I seen, episode wise.
Its feels like a full 5minutes to scroll and read down each episode.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Jose posted:

I've been reading the ember knight which I'm liking a lot despite the fairly sparse art. Reminds me a bit of ares

I like it too. Weak as poo poo guy using bluffs and trickery to defeat more powerful opponents is something that sets it apart from most Manwhas. And I like the powersets in it. I like how the artifacts have very specific special properties so their wielders need to puzzle out a way to make them actually useful, or how the knights have restrictions and limitations on their abilities that they desperately want to keep secret.

I’ve seen some awful translations of it though, which is... unfortunate because bluffs and tricks make zero sense in a bad translation.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

there are koreans/korean speakers itt right? how does formal vs informal speech work exactly?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

To Be An Actor got an official translation, and thank god. I actually understand what's going on now.

the unofficial machine translation was everything you could think of that can go wrong.
constantly shifting wrong pronouns, wrong subject tenses, and sometimes totally wrong interpretations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

a ton of the trash i read is on break at the minute or just finished so could do with some recommendations. i just caught up to i get stronger the more i eat. Since asura scans put out a truly ludicrous amount of poo poo i read a lot of it on the toilet while at work but most of that is fairly short. Something in the 50-80 chapter range or a lot longer will do. Action oriented mostly I suppose. Ideally stuff on webtoons where possible unless its one of the stupid situations where its months behind unless you pay for a ton of chapters. I pay for a couple to keep fully up to date that don't have any scan group on them but it sucks the situation is so bad

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Jose posted:

a ton of the trash i read is on break at the minute or just finished so could do with some recommendations. i just caught up to i get stronger the more i eat. Since asura scans put out a truly ludicrous amount of poo poo i read a lot of it on the toilet while at work but most of that is fairly short. Something in the 50-80 chapter range or a lot longer will do. Action oriented mostly I suppose. Ideally stuff on webtoons where possible unless its one of the stupid situations where its months behind unless you pay for a ton of chapters. I pay for a couple to keep fully up to date that don't have any scan group on them but it sucks the situation is so bad

Hey Jose, do you read SSS-Class Suicide Hunter? Season 3 just dropped today (after a loooong break) on Asura Scans and imo it’s one of the very best out there. The last arc of season 1 was so drat good and emotional.

Reiche fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 25, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

started reading a bit of The Constellations are my Disciples, read the webnovel a bit, then started looking at the manwha a bit.
can kind of see the formula they're gonna do, but wanna see the delivery.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Reiche posted:

Hey Jose, do you read SSS-Class Suicide Hunter? Season 3 just dropped today (after a loooong break) on Asura Scans and imo it’s one of the very best out there. The last arc of season 1 was so drat good and emotional.

i did start reading it and noticed the updates today.

I'm really enjoying how successfully the main character of the greatest real estate developer is a huge piece of poo poo in a way that is always fun. Maybe its just the faces though

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Jose posted:

i did start reading it and noticed the updates today.

I'm really enjoying how successfully the main character of the greatest real estate developer is a huge piece of poo poo in a way that is always fun. Maybe its just the faces though

The faces help but it's also just funny

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Shugojin posted:

The faces help but it's also just funny

Yeah it’s quality comedy in addition to the art

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

https://mangasee123.com/manga/Is-It-Fortune-or-Is-It-Woe

started reading this. its a manwha, but everyone uses western names since its set in a european noble setting.
no magic, just a lovely regular romance. the heroine is an isekai, but all she knows is that its a novel she used to read, nothing else. She remembers that her little sister is fated to die in childbirth, so she gets in the way, and ends up marrying the male lead instead. As she already lived 20 years as her current character, so to her, this is her life, and doesn't really care about her past life other than the small bits of knowledge she remembered from the novel.
Doesn't seem to have any magic, the characters so far all seem very reasonable and the social etiquette stuff is done in a way that makes sense, which is a rarity in these kind of things.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's mostly a story about a woman who is happily married and gets along well with her mother in law but is convinced that this isn't true for dumb reasons.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yup, the 'I just stole this place / obviously everything will fall apart once the leading lady appears' trope is just one of the worst parts of these series.
Often dragged out for ages and ages, like a scratched record. Just assuming that some events will be locked in, even though everything else is incredibly fluid.

It does make any series that has the character kick things entirely off the rails a lot better in comparison, like Sigrid, where she mostly goes 'goddamn I changed a lot, huh?'

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in some novel isekai stories there actually is some predestination going on that is difficult to resist. but like, why wouldn't someone simply try to test it first? the entire reason she married that guy is because she wanted to change the story and she did exactly that. it's just a character being impossibly dumb because if they weren't there wouldn't be a story.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I’ve been reading a webtoon called Just A Goblin, about a goblin that gets granted what is essentially “player” status while all other monsters are just mobs, but for most purposes it just means he can level up and get skill-points. It’s fine. But more importantly the latest free chapter had a music note next to it and it turns out music plays while you read the chapter.

I can’t imagine this series is the first to do that, but I’ve never seen it before. Is this fairly common and I’ve just managed to avoid seeing it?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I wouldn't say it's common, but I read a few webtoons that do it. The webtoons that I read that have music only do it for specific chapters, but Hero Killer and Hand Jumper do it fairly often, for instance. Suitor Armor does it rarely, I've got a couple that have only 1-2 chapters with music, and the other 30+ webtoons I read don't do it at all (that I can remember). It's pretty easy to either not hit any webtoons with music or not notice for the ones that do.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
DICE had/has music for major chapters, too.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
One even less-often utilized thing webtoon does is allow parts of comics to be animated gifs. Nevermore is the only one I've seen actually do it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Sindai posted:

One even less-often utilized thing webtoon does is allow parts of comics to be animated gifs. Nevermore is the only one I've seen actually do it.

Room of Swords used gifs as well.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its very dumb but I'm quite enjoying Heavenly Demon Cultivation Simulation taht flame scans release. Fairly standard murim resurrection story except the MC constantly gets bothered by timed JRPG choices that usually go badly and has a bunch of JRPG effects

doesnt gain xp though

Jose fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 4, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

sounds similar to one I checked out a few weeks ago, a female MC, but her system operated like a jrpg turn-based system, while everyone else's was like regular real time battle. so her battle armaments would only appear when engaged in battle, have run/escape commands where it grants her a temp. speed boost when running from an enemy ect

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i've been reading too much absolute garbage while on the shitter at owrk and can no longer keep track of anything because its all so derivative of each other

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Jose posted:

i've been reading too much absolute garbage while on the shitter at owrk and can no longer keep track of anything because its all so derivative of each other

yeah it's pretty great also so many of the studios use the same exact poo poo so they look the same

bless you asurascans for your massive wave of barely distinguishable dreck which makes the actually good ones stand out

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its good they take over the series other teams either drop or stop translating anything

i have no idea whats going on in hero killer now beacuse there are just way too many characters. should really be killing these people off

Jose fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 4, 2023

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Sword: I can reverse time when you die but your brain will melt, so only use it as final resort.
Ihwa: Haha quick save go brrrrrrr

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
chain (the loser no one likes) turned out to actually be a magic sword. the person ihwa's fighting is merely the latest in a long line of scary girlfriends. she doesn't really matter much.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GateOfD posted:

sounds similar to one I checked out a few weeks ago, a female MC, but her system operated like a jrpg turn-based system, while everyone else's was like regular real time battle. so her battle armaments would only appear when engaged in battle, have run/escape commands where it grants her a temp. speed boost when running from an enemy ect

Sounds interesting! Let me know the name of it if you remember it at any point.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lmao at the friendship attack in hero killer.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

started reading Mythic Item Obtained manwha version.

seems interesting enough so far, gonna keep reading for a bit till its not interesting, which happens to alot of these type of webcomics where it tries to expand the story, and just fails at it

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

started reading Genius Archer Streamer.

the hook for me right now is reading the chat style spam of the viewers as the MC streams with his cheat-like archery skills, which is a new change of pace from the usual korean game webnovels

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

SSS Class Suicide Hunter 89: Oooooooh daaamn. That's hosed up, that got dark

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Having read so much trash while injured that I forget what is what I read a series, probably asura scans but maybe not, that is someone reincarnating into a world with guilds and stuff and he teaches on of the guild masters some lightning skill as he's school friends with the son. The son gets kidnapped by a rival guild who gets destroyed. This isn't the best description but about all I can remember. It's probably on a season break. Anyone know what it was? I don't think it had gates with stuff like a lot of series

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Man what is it with Korean isekai going in the opposite direction from Japanese ones--in Japanese ones a common criticism is that we know nothing about the main character before the transmigration, but in Korean ones, they spend like 1 to 3 chapters in their world in a completely different genre of manhwa with its own supporting cast and character relationships before the main character gets mugged by an unknown assailant (which seems to be their version of a truck), then they get isekaied and we never see or hear from any of these characters again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

you need to know what kind of korean honor or revenge they have to regain