Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Also, let's be real, he'll probably get even bigger offers in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Sydney Bottocks posted:

We shouldn't forget that it has to be one hell of a good feeling to have a company successful enough that not only can you step away from running it, and turn down a large offer to buy it out, but also to be able to hire your old boss to run it for you. :v:

Yeah, he got an advanced personal assistant basically.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It’s this. His subscriber count continues to grow and he is investing heavily into his company with the testing lab. $100,000,000 may seem like a small offer in a few years.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

When Spotify decides it wants to compete with YouTube they’ll give him an offer that makes the JRE deal look like peanuts.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

That is what the stock is for and you are also taking the bet that no one else is taking, that personal tech isn't rapidly accelerating to a commodity.

Take the money and run, diversify your portfolio, if you are right, if you are smart, you have more money than you know what to do with in multigenerational wealth, if you are wrong, you still have a still have a significant financial stake in the company.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I guess there wasn't any confirmation on who made that offer, curious if it was some old media player like Conde nast or someone else..

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I can't believe Linus was able to hire Tracer Tong. I thought he was living off the grid in Hong Kong.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
100 million is an absolutely insane amount. I don't think I would have the willpower to refuse that but props to Linus.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It's a lot easier to turn down 100 million if you already have several millions and a pipeline to several more. That was his point when he said he couldn't get a bigger house or a faster car.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
CEO and direct manager to the only two shareholders and directors of the company... If he manages to make it work I'm sure he could retire to a tenured position at Wharton.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

priznat posted:

NCIX declared bankruptcy abruptly as I had an order in flight and I had to do my first ever charge back. Apparently the books were being completely fabricated and it was just rife with the CEO's relatives pillaging the place.

So, good luck dude! Solid pedigree to hire from.

As a company it sucks as well but was sort of the "least bad" option. You hated having to go to the stores even to pickup your order because everyone working there was surly, slow and didn't give a poo poo about customer service.

I'm glad it's dead!

NCIX in Markham still remains the only store where my credit card company called me immediately after buying something to ask if that was a legit purchase or if my CC was stolen.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What was the story about the kid that bought the NCIX award and was so harassed by LTT fans he killed himself or something?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

What was the story about the kid that bought the NCIX award and was so harassed by LTT fans he killed himself or something?

https://www.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/t1e1if/you_destroyed_my_life/

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

What in the god drat

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

NCIX was horrible in 2012 and before that. It was neat in the early aughts as the competition was a dumpsterbin. What was that other company? Tiger something? Everything else was just local shops and you hoped for the best.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

tigerdirect

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Holy loving poo poo

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

power crystals posted:

Doing something because you like it rather than selling out should be applauded.

No, In this instance, it’s ridiculously stupid.

Nothing Linus does contributes anything to society. He should have taken the money.

It could be bullshit too “look how popular we are, etc”

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 19, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

NCIX was horrible in 2012 and before that. It was neat in the early aughts as the competition was a dumpsterbin. What was that other company? Tiger something? Everything else was just local shops and you hoped for the best.

In Vancouver the main vendor in the PC space (although there were a lot of small PC component stores) was ATIC. It was a worse shopping experience than NCIX in every way to the point where people I know witnessed a fistfight between staff and a customer over a repair service disagreement. Then NCiX got big and introduced a decent Web store front end and a few locations around where you could pickup stuff with minimum hassle (still was kind of a sucky time though ensuring they didn't muck it up)

Weirdly ATIC still exists even after NCIX's implosion.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

CBD Corndog posted:

NCIX in Markham still remains the only store where my credit card company called me immediately after buying something to ask if that was a legit purchase or if my CC was stolen.

Mine does that every time I buy a game from GoG

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nitr0 posted:

No, In this instance, it’s ridiculously stupid.

Nothing Linus does contributes anything to society. He should have taken the money.

It could be bullshit too “look how popular we are, etc”

Also, and hear me out here, he might have not gotten a 100 mill offer and is just saying that for ~the content~ because thats what makes him his actual millions which are some number of millions below 100

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Also, and hear me out here, he might have not gotten a 100 mill offer and is just saying that for ~the content~ because thats what makes him his actual millions which are some number of millions below 100

Truth. Maybe some of the other channels see the dollar signs or it's some kind of humblebrag. I find it hard to believe that anything is worth 100mil at LTT but what do I know. I'm not a popular youtube celeb.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I can very easily believe he got an offer for 100 mil because it's probably cheaper in the long run for a larger corporation to just buy an already-established media production company than it is to set one up, and that's even before you take into account things like "brand name recognition" and "already established fanbase", which aren't things you can just instantly create out of thin air.

Just because some people ITT think Linus is a goober (and he definitely can be a goober, to be fair), doesn't mean his company is completely worthless.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dont think LTT is worthless, but I also know how youtube works and drumming up stuff for views is like 70% of the youtube game

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Nitr0 posted:

He entertains some ridiculous number of people, which is not nothing. He's also managed to build a business where it seems the majority of people who work there actually like their job, which is fairly rare in this capitalist hellworld. He's hardly some kind of selfless pillar of the community who rescues stray animals in his spare time (... though having written that out, he did supposedly rescue and adopt a couple cats during the construction of his house) but it's not nothing. Had he sold it would have been very likely that LMG would have been gradually ground into paste to serve whichever company bought it which would materially negatively affect the people working there.

Now if you want to argue if he could have done something of greater societal value with the buyout money, okay, maybe, but that's sort of impossible to prove either way so what's the point. But he didn't get offered $100M just for existing.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I dont think LTT is worthless, but I also know how youtube works and drumming up stuff for views is like 70% of the youtube game

Well of course, but I would think that--if I was a large corporate entity looking to get into the YT tech pool that could afford to drop 60 million in cash up front--it'd be an order of magnitude easier to do so with an already-established team, infrastructure, and userbase.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lets be honest, people who sell their "small business" for 100M arent going to turn around and donate it to ending homelessness or buying schoolkids lunch most of the time

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

priznat posted:

In Vancouver the main vendor in the PC space (although there were a lot of small PC component stores) was ATIC. It was a worse shopping experience than NCIX in every way to the point where people I know witnessed a fistfight between staff and a customer over a repair service disagreement. Then NCiX got big and introduced a decent Web store front end and a few locations around where you could pickup stuff with minimum hassle (still was kind of a sucky time though ensuring they didn't muck it up)

Weirdly ATIC still exists even after NCIX's implosion.

The two big ones I shopped at back in the day in Winnipeg were Computer Avenue and then down the road a SEPERATE company called Computer Boulevard which are both now gone. Avenue was just a small, basic store but had good stock. Boulevard was bigger and then got closed down for smuggling or something I heard.:lol: Shady poo poo.

Thank god for Memory Express coming in.Before all that was just whatever small store - I used to go to a place called Coreys Computers - got my first CD writer there- $200 - my mom was flabbergasted!

E: gently caress, it's still around! https://www.coreyscomputing.com/

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
I think this is a net positive decision. I don't think Linus is cut out for CEO work and he has stated many times about his mental health declining as a result of the growth of LMG. Him (and maybe Yvonne?) are workaholics so the idea of getting a 100 mil and retiring early on a beach somewhere doesn't sound like something he'd do. I don't think he can sit still and just relax like that for too long. Sounds like he just wants to make videos and stay on the creative tech side of things, stick with what you're good at. Maybe the foresight to get a CEO came a bit too late, but it's good he's doing it now. I also don't see how you can value LMG at a 100 mil without Linus there, the guy IS the brand. Would it even survive on the shoulders of Jake, Riley, Anthony, etc? I don't think so.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

The two big ones I shopped at back in the day in Winnipeg were Computer Avenue and then down the road a SEPERATE company called Computer Boulevard which are both now gone. Avenue was just a small, basic store but had good stock. Boulevard was bigger and then got closed down for smuggling or something I heard.:lol: Shady poo poo.

Yeah.. I remember computer avenue would print their flyer like a chinese food menu. Then CB ate their lunch with respect to product/pricing but they went down in a shady ball of flames very similar to NCIX. The computer boulevard sign is still up along st james for some reason (lazy landlord?). I remember speccing out a system at computer boulevard and the sales guy was so excited about the overclocking potential of the parts :lol:

NCIX I first ordered from because they were selling a LITERAL HALF GIGABYTE of memory for a ludicrously low price, I enjoyed ordering from them while they were still alive. Their price matching I don't think has been beat since then.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Weaponized Autism posted:

I think this is a net positive decision. I don't think Linus is cut out for CEO work and he has stated many times about his mental health declining as a result of the growth of LMG. Him (and maybe Yvonne?) are workaholics so the idea of getting a 100 mil and retiring early on a beach somewhere doesn't sound like something he'd do. I don't think he can sit still and just relax like that for too long. Sounds like he just wants to make videos and stay on the creative tech side of things, stick with what you're good at. Maybe the foresight to get a CEO came a bit too late, but it's good he's doing it now. I also don't see how you can value LMG at a 100 mil without Linus there, the guy IS the brand. Would it even survive on the shoulders of Jake, Riley, Anthony, etc? I don't think so.

I think Luke even said as much in the WAN Show where they talked about the buyout offer; he said when Linus was away on vacations, he'd send Luke texts grumbling about how restless/bored he was and how he couldn't wait to get back to work.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I ordered a few things from NCIX back in the day but at least in Ontario they were mostly good for taking advantage of Canada Computers price matching policy at the time. Basically any online NCIX deal you could just walk into a Canada Computers and they'd honour it and not have to deal with NCIX shipping and whatnot.

When NCIX went under, CC changed their policy to "Only match if the other place has a physical storefront in the same town" or some bullshit so as to not have to match Amazon deals.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Christ alive, what in the world is wrong with people

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I don't understand how Canada Computers have such large stores. The one in Port Coquitlam seems massive after being used to the NCIX model of a small showroom with storage room in the back for order pickup.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

buglord posted:

Christ alive, what in the world is wrong with people

A lot, who the hell harasses a kid to suicide just because he buys some random junk at auction, even gives Linus a fair chance to buy it from him who then declines

drat..

pentium166
Oct 15, 2012

priznat posted:

I don't understand how Canada Computers have such large stores. The one in Port Coquitlam seems massive after being used to the NCIX model of a small showroom with storage room in the back for order pickup.

There's one in North York in a former Zellers/Target/Lowes mall location and it's absolutely gigantic. They can't even use all the floor space they have, not even counting the blocked-off escalator to an unused second floor with presumably the same footprint. The downtown/midtown Toronto stores, though, are barely larger than my 1BR apartment.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

well why not posted:

It's a lot easier to turn down 100 million if you already have several millions and a pipeline to several more. That was his point when he said he couldn't get a bigger house or a faster car.

Yeah that's true.
Also, Linus doesn't strike me as someone who has many friends, hobbies or interests outside LMG. Giving it all up for a large sum of money is a big ask.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

It also appears to be his entire identity. If you were already very wealthy, would you want to sell who you are as a person for some more money?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Tuxedo Gin posted:

It also appears to be his entire identity. If you were already very wealthy, would you want to sell who you are as a person for some more money?

In this day and age of insanely rich people hoarding wealth solely to Make Number Go Up, I agree that Linus should be lauded for deciding not to go this route and to try and continue to build the company he founded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

That was way too depressing to read before bed, god drat.