Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

FrickenMoron posted:

I finished all 3 labyrinths and can't believe how poo poo this reward is.

I'm so tired of stealth bonuses on outfits, I'm kinda annoyed they didn't really add much more in the way of outfit bonuses or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh poo poo can you fuse a boomerang to a shield?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

socialsecurity posted:

I'm so tired of stealth bonuses on outfits, I'm kinda annoyed they didn't really add much more in the way of outfit bonuses or anything.

You can't even upgrade the armor set you unlock! Also yes, this game did not need 3 armor sets that have stealth up (which only affects the noise you make, not your visibility)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Natural 20 posted:

I think it's a little different from Botw in that seeing Impa in that game feels relatively analogous to going to the castle and coming back in Totk.

After you've done that in botw you're set, there's nothing else that's important.

Here:

Hestu is on the way to the Rito village instead of on the way to the castle.

Autobuild requires that you either rng find it in the depths or beat a phenomena.

Great fairies require that you go as far as the press office near the Rito village as well.

So broadly, if you don't go to a specific regional phenomena early and first, a lot of the functionality for upgrades in the game stays locked.

And I think that fights against the freedom that Totk otherwise wants to evoke.

Emotionally that regional phenomena is where I wanted to go first because it seemed out of all of them they were at imminent risk of death and starvation. And most of the characters you talk to will keep mentioning it, saying they had heard about how bad it was out there.

auto build while you won't get a specific quest for it until you beat a phenomena, if you do the preceding quest, characters down there will point out how the statue seems to be pointing to another statue and be like "hmmm, that is interesting". It is definitely hinted as being worth pursuing.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 19, 2023

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

FrickenMoron posted:

I finished all 3 labyrinths and can't believe how poo poo this reward is.

but it looks dope as gently caress! and also npcs cower in fear at your sight

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Lots of armor pieces sell for 600 rupees a pop, so consider the rewards for the labyrinths to be cash. This probably applies to other rewards, too. I know you can find amiibo armor sets in the depths and afaik those sell for 600 per piece too.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Emotionally that regional phenomena is where I wanted to go first because it seemed out of all of them they were at imminent risk of death and starvation. And most of the characters you talk to will keep mentioning it, saying they had heard about how bad it was out there.

Yeah, Nobody talks up how bad Death Mountain or Gerudo Town or Zora's Domain is, everyone's gossiping about Rito Village undergoing a humanitarian (Ritotarian?) crisis. Well, that and Lurelin Village being overrun with pirates like goddamn Somalia.

...is it ever established how long Link was comatose on the Great Sky Island being patched up by Rauru? It feels like it must have been at least a couple weeks for everything to have gone to poo poo like this.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Also good reminder that from 11:30pm to midnight as a blood moon comes up all food you cook will receive a bonus to its effect / heal more.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Mechanics spoiler question, but I've been taking pictures of every fruit / plant / critter I see in case I need to find more later on. I'm assuming eventually there will be a sensor I can use to ping for items I've put in my album, like in BOTW?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Asterite34 posted:

Yeah, Nobody talks up how bad Death Mountain or Gerudo Town or Zora's Domain is, everyone's gossiping about Rito Village undergoing a humanitarian (Ritotarian?) crisis. Well, that and Lurelin Village being overrun with pirates like goddamn Somalia.

...is it ever established how long Link was comatose on the Great Sky Island being patched up by Rauru? It feels like it must have been at least a couple weeks for everything to have gone to poo poo like this.

I mean

Death Mountain is essentially under control of a drug lord.

The public does not generally talk about drug lords.

Granted the drug seems to be basically just super weed, where they just want to chill forever. But still.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fhqwhgads posted:

Mechanics spoiler question, but I've been taking pictures of every fruit / plant / critter I see in case I need to find more later on. I'm assuming eventually there will be a sensor I can use to ping for items I've put in my album, like in BOTW?

Correct. Robbie tells you about it when you get the camera upgrade (which you already have)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

And for sure I've been buying lots of capsules, but it's just funny that I may not use them for 100 hours. I figure why use them if I don't need to, and game DNA teaches us to keep our stuff since we don't know what's around the corner. Granted, it is a bit silly, but I guess not using these items much (yet) also adds a little bit of custom difficulty challenge or something. I'll try to treat myself to using one or two here and there.

It's not the game DNA to hoard though, that's just gamer habituation. I get it, I'm often a potion hoarder or whatever in games if I don't deliberately make myself use them instead of holding off for a big moment of using them that honestly never comes.

Game will never leave you without tools to progress and often sprinkle fun stuff around, either as a hint to look around and think of something to build to get around, or use what's there. Game also gives plenty of spots where you have a simple choice of getting up, and it can often just be faster and more fun to plop out a sonic jump spring to give yourself a ton of air and glide time while also getting to the top of a cliff without climbing or if there's rain or whatnot.

They're fun little toys and can create neat moments out of nowhere and you'll never "need" them so you should plop em out whenever without fear of thinking you might wish you had it later.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

You can't even upgrade the armor set you unlock! Also yes, this game did not need 3 armor sets that have stealth up (which only affects the noise you make, not your visibility)

The stealth up is often more a hindrance anyway. Good for catching bugs but just makes enemy camps kind of annoying if there's some stragglers who never caught wind of the big fight going on and you have to go hunt em down instead of them rushing at you.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

FrickenMoron posted:

Any good spots for warm Safflinas? I want to upgrade my cold resist set.

Take a lap around the desert oasis, it was the only spot with multiple plants I've found in the entire south.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Stealth up is great for grabbing faeries and that’s about it

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Asterite34 posted:

I think it’s at least five or six years given that in Tarrey Town, Rhondson and Hudson have a kid now that wasn’t there in BOTW

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Fhqwhgads posted:

I didn't even know taking pictures of stuff to fill a compendium was a thing in BOTW.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Carlosologist posted:

I think it’s at least five or six years given that in Tarrey Town, Rhondson and Hudson have a kid now that wasn’t there in BOTW

Well yeah that's how long it's been since the last game, but I figured that for most of that time him and Zelda were active around Hyrule and all the Upheaval stuff happened pretty recently while Link was missing. People aren't reacting like he's been gone for years, they were still sending out search parties around Hyrule Castle and stuff.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
My only complaints about the enemies in the game is that as nightmare inducing as the Gibdo's and Like-like's look, they are nowhere near any kind of threatening and I've barely ever gotten hit by one.

Gibdo's should do their fast crawl after being made vulnerable instead of being stunlocked and Like-like's should have a much faster grab that you have to get in range of to make them show the weakpoint (can they even grab you? they are so slow.)

Those hands, however, are the perfect level of incredibly threatening to match their level of incredibly spooky.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"Zelda told all these guards to strip down to their underwear and then left without elaborating."

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Asterite34 posted:

Well yeah that's how long it's been since the last game, but I figured that for most of that time him and Zelda were active around Hyrule and all the Upheaval stuff happened pretty recently while Link was missing. People aren't reacting like he's been gone for years, they were still sending out search parties around Hyrule Castle and stuff.

I'd say it has been no longer than a month between the prologue and the game proper. If nothing else, people would need the time to set up new buildings and scaffolding around ruins, like in Kakariko for example.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

How many gems should I be reasonably holding on to? I need cash but I don't want to end up selling all the gems I can reasonably get without finding far flung caves to replenish them.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

My only complaints about the enemies in the game is that as nightmare inducing as the Gibdo's and Like-like's look, they are nowhere near any kind of threatening and I've barely ever gotten hit by one.

Gibdo's should do their fast crawl after being made vulnerable instead of being stunlocked and Like-like's should have a much faster grab that you have to get in range of to make them show the weakpoint (can they even grab you? they are so slow.)

Those hands, however, are the perfect level of incredibly threatening to match their level of incredibly spooky.

Gibdos without the freeze and scream ain't poo poo.

Likelikes can swallow you can will take your gear and not give it back lol. I found out last night, fought who knows how many of these tubes so I decided to just ignore it and walk by. Got swallowed and it ate my royal bow, killed it and it just dropped the standard loot haha.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Also good reminder that from 11:30pm to midnight as a blood moon comes up all food you cook will receive a bonus to its effect / heal more.

Yeah! I don't mind how often the blood moon seems to happen because i can get a 5 heart dish out of a single tomato, it's a great time to stock up.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

How many gems should I be reasonably holding on to? I need cash but I don't want to end up selling all the gems I can reasonably get without finding far flung caves to replenish them.

You need 3 diamonds each to get to level 4 of miner armor, coloured gems to upgrade the old divine helmets (no set bonus though so don't bother). There's a few random quests that want a couple gems but they're usually nearby even if you're flat out of them. Opals and amber you can sell right away, treat em like red and blue rupees. Not sure luminous stone has any point in this game. I assume it upgrades the dios de la meurtos outfit but wasnt very useful last game so I didn't buy it.

But really in general sell em of you need money. You get so so many of them, ore is in every cave and well and sprinkled all over everywhere. BitW had me do mining runs sometimes but this I've always had enough despite selling gems. Not long before you get enough to sell in bulk for bonus profit.

I'm at the point now where I have 20+ of most gems and don't even need to sell them anymore because just don't really need money anymore.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Carlosologist posted:

But the kids running around Hateno seem to be exactly the same age - Nebb, for example, who had the weapon examples fetish in BOTW, looks exactly the same as far as I can tell.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Speaking of the compendium, has anyone found an NPC selling default pics for compendium entries?

It was the same guy that gave/showed you how to use the camera in BotW but I haven't seen or heard a whisper this time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I've gotten a fair bit of Luminous Ore and the flavour text says it's for armor, where should I head to put it to use?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I don't think I have put in a ton of hours but once I found my first Great Fairy I made it my mission to open her bud. It has taken me like three days of getting sidetracked by shrines and getting lost without the BotW map to make my way to Woodland Stable only to find out...they're not gonna talk to me at all unless I go do something else. Then I couldn't find the one nearby so I went back to the main quest and began exploring the depths, but what I really want to do is to is get that Great Fairy.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Khanstant posted:

You need 3 diamonds each to get to level 4 of miner armor, coloured gems to upgrade the old divine helmets (no set bonus though so don't bother). There's a few random quests that want a couple gems but they're usually nearby even if you're flat out of them. Opals and amber you can sell right away, treat em like red and blue rupees. Not sure luminous stone has any point in this game. I assume it upgrades the dios de la meurtos outfit but wasnt very useful last game so I didn't buy it.

But really in general sell em of you need money. You get so so many of them, ore is in every cave and well and sprinkled all over everywhere. BitW had me do mining runs sometimes but this I've always had enough despite selling gems. Not long before you get enough to sell in bulk for bonus profit.

I'm at the point now where I have 20+ of most gems and don't even need to sell them anymore because just don't really need money anymore.

Luminous stones you can you can take to the animals at the Faron stable, they’ll eat them and then produce another random gem a day later. It’s typically a good trade since most other gems are more valuable.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
It's probably been a few good since the last game because Zelda has had time to become a highly regarded leader figure in the country, as well as somehow verify her title to the general population.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Can you ever help this man find the Master Gourd?

Can you ever cheer up the depressed woman outside of the dye shop? My guess is maybe filling out all the paraglider pics might progress things somehow?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caidin posted:

It's probably been a few good since the last game because Zelda has had time to become a highly regarded leader figure in the country, as well as somehow verify her title to the general population.

Really she should be Queen Zelda all things considered, but gotta keep that marketable name.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Finally managed to kill a pack of floormasters, and got an amazing reward. :thumbsup:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Really she should be Queen Zelda all things considered, but gotta keep that marketable name.

She was gonna have an official coronation at the refurbished Hyrule Castle, but then, well...

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Khanstant posted:

Cool, thank you. I'm so starved for rupees alongside everyone else that I thought about getting a second piece of cold weather clothing, stopped in the shop, and then ran off to pick some more hot peppers. 500 rupees for a shirt, gently caress that.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Yeah 5ish years between BotW and the prologue of TotK but a couple weeks to a month from there to Link's awakening in the sky islands seems right, based on Riju's and Mattison's ages.

Also if you're struggling on where to go, follow your main quests. They point you in the direction of literally everything (including the rest of the powers) except for maybe Hestu.

SirBukkake
Aug 24, 2006
Idk some black dude

Crawfish posted:

Speaking of the compendium, has anyone found an NPC selling default pics for compendium entries?

It was the same guy that gave/showed you how to use the camera in BotW but I haven't seen or heard a whisper this time.

You get it from Robbie now, after unlocking the feature.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
i popped in the depths and found a rito statue to follow. remembering one set lead me to autobuild and another supposedly goes to a yiga hideout, i went after it- it seemed to end near an arena with a flux construct 3 and a big strange tower, but it wasn't actually pointed at either of them, it was about 90 degrees off from either. but i can't find another statue. did that end there, or am i actually misisng more statues? I can't investigate the tower yet because it turns out i am not geared enough to fight a flux construct 3. i am busy unlocking great fairies for the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Cool, thank you. I'm so starved for rupees alongside everyone else that I thought about getting a second piece of cold weather clothing, stopped in the shop, and then ran off to pick some more hot peppers. 500 rupees for a shirt, gently caress that.

I bought the hat to go along with the pants from the newbie island! Part of the trick is getting over your hoarder tendencies -- while you don't get many rupees, you do get absolute fucktons of monster bits and other materials that you can sell for cash as long as you can bear with only having 25 Bokoblin Fangs instead of 50. Although fuckin A, 1000 rupees for the pants is way too steep. I picked up the glowy pants from Kakariko too (but man, these are much more silly-looking than I thought they'd be, gotta find a better pair of pants for general wear.)

Again, can someone point me in the right direction for finding out more about Spooky Dave and/or the general idea of what's happening with the spooky fog and the upheaval?

Or where you guys are finding more Forge Constructs to upgrade your Battery? I've only found the one on the newbie island, and I've visited him twice now and bought out his whole stock, but he's only got 10 thingies at a time.