Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
in a parallel to that story about Chicago street cameras, here's a story from August 2022, when the Philippine Supreme Court issued a temporary restraining order against Metro Manila's "No Contact Apprehension Program", which leveraged CCTV footage to record, identify and penalize traffic violations without physical intervention.

buried within the coverage:

quote:

However, the local government unit asserted the NCAP’s legality in the statement, saying that the policy “significantly reduced the traffic violations in the affected areas by 93%.”

“It has shown that it instills a culture of traffic discipline among motorists and we believe that its implementation is legal and proper,” said the Quezon City Government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

genericnick posted:

Wait, what. Streetcars aren't just trams? America (derogatory)

streetcars used to be trams yeah. the new systems are just lovely light rail systems that cities call "streetcars" to harken back to the good ol days

this is the old style interurban / streetcar that linked america together back in the day.

they ran on city streets and were replaced with buses (or nothing, in most cases)

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
This thread arguing about rail vs buses, meanwhile
https://twitter.com/CityOfLasVegas/status/1659348980759769088

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
The thread was having a positive and fruitful conversation about trains, not arguing THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

three school kids were hit and injured by a driver running a red here and the 'sensible' discourse focused on "oh I don't blame the kids but teach your kids to look to make sure traffic was stopping! and don't run across the road!!" (they were trying to catch a bus). sure we need to keep our kids safe from people breaking rules but the acceptance that our children will be maimed by someone else's carelessness is just so depressing. we have the technology to prevent cars running red lights and speeding but that might make a driver upset so we don't want that.

why can cars even do 250km/h in a country that has the highest limit of 110km/h anyway

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

cat botherer posted:

Yeah I'm thinking of the slow automated minibuses as coming in at a more a la-la fantasyland scenario where we're taking real efforts to solve the biosphere collapse, where highly localized automated transit could get rid of almost all of the remaining use cases for personal cars, in concert with really good commuter rail and regular buses and poo poo.

For most people, bikes or just walking would probably be ideal to fill in the gaps of a rail/bus system. However, that's not going to work in some situations, and then there's stuff like outlying rural areas that don't have the demand to justify high capital-investment transit, or even just paying a bus driver. You really need 24/7 high-availability transit if you want to banish cars to the land of wind and dust. Self-driving minibuses and that kind of thing could really work there.

or you just have people drive the drat buses so people have jobs, automated driving doesn’t work and is unnecessary

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Weka posted:

I think your analysis of these buses is really spot on and is a good answer to that last mile problem that I haven't really seen before.

Maed posted:

or you just have people drive the drat buses so people have jobs, automated driving doesn’t work and is unnecessary
Automated driving works pretty good in some situations. Hence being slow. A really comprehensive system would need way to many drivers to work out. Besides, it's a boring job. Those should be minimized by labor-saving technologies.

cat botherer has issued a correction as of 15:16 on May 19, 2023

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

cowboy beepboop posted:

why can cars even do 250km/h in a country that has the highest limit of 110km/h anyway

it makes sense to build engines with significant excess capacity so you aren't redlining them all the time, but cars absolutely need speed governors. your engine should have the ability to go 100 mph but it should also be prevented from doing so.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

apparently South Carolina banned lifted non-commercial vehicles? lol

https://twitter.com/usingcigarettes/status/1659328802785198080

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

webcams for christ posted:

Lmao, what would even be the point of this? Some aim for the (child's) head situation?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

cat botherer posted:

Automated driving works pretty good in some situations. Hence being slow. A really comprehensive system would need way to many drivers to work out. Besides, it's a boring job. Those should be minimized by labor-saving technologies.

I don't see them really replacing full-scale buses as well, you do need something with higher capacity and you are going to need a driver for that (even if there may be some lane-correction.)

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
KC transit authority is submitting a proposal to build intracity rail that would basically connect the entire metro area northsouth and eastwest

https://www.kctv5.com/2023/05/18/kcata-submits-grant-proposal-intercity-rail-system-that-would-crisscross-metro/

I'd love to see it but I'm not getting my hopes up too much. It would be awesome to be able to walk half a mile and then ride all the way to arrowhead stadium and not have to pay for parking and deal with traffic (which is like $50 now lol)

There's a ton of stuff to do in KC but it's so car dependent it makes everything a pain to do

also lawrence ks is connected to desoto by bus pretty easily so you could fly in, go see a ku basketball game and fly out without having to rent or even ride in a car

spacemang_spliff has issued a correction as of 15:26 on May 19, 2023

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

genericnick posted:

Lmao, what would even be the point of this? Some aim for the (child's) head situation?

yes

there was a guy on Youtube showing off that you couldn't see a Corvette directly in front of his Carolina Squat truck, psycho poo poo

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Ardennes posted:

I don't see them really replacing full-scale buses as well, you do need something with higher capacity and you are going to need a driver for that (even if there may be some lane-correction.)
Yeah, very low speed is pretty essential, which would restrict this to very short feeder routes.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

yes

there was a guy on Youtube showing off that you couldn't see a Corvette directly in front of his Carolina Squat truck, psycho poo poo

combination of lifted truck and lack of object permanence from the literal baby in the driver seat

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Sometimes wish I could just "HAHA" react on webforums but here it is:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

whats ridiculous is that as far as i can tell this law only goes after truck owners who get the mod done and not the shops that perform it. like if you illegally modify a vehicle you should be shut down. of course the people who request the work to be done should also be punished but it shouldn't even be possible to do.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Ardennes posted:

S-bahns are actually a different mode (there is a schell between the stadt and bahn), and yeah are heavy rail, while stadtbahns are more tram like. But yeah S-bahn/RER systems are pretty useful and it is a shame that the US resists electrification and EMUs. Just think if you took a city like LA which has diesel commuter trains and just made an electrified s-bahn system out of it, it would completely change regional transportation in the city.

S-Bahns are great. When I lived in Munich I'd walk to the subway then take that to the S-Bahn to a bus to get to work. So much better than driving.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Maed posted:

we don't need make-work jobs, we need to expect less work of people and support them with robust public infrastructure and other social programs. Work for works sake is the accumulation of garbage and stress.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

we need a billion makework jobs so if anyone ever looks confused or over burdened theres just a friendly guy there making good money to help

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Grassy Knowles posted:

we don't need make-work jobs, we need to expect less work of people and support them with robust public infrastructure and other social programs. Work for works sake is the accumulation of garbage and stress.

It's still funny to think about how people assumed automation would make our lives easier. Like in The Jetsons where George has a two hour work day. Instead the bosses figured out they could just fire 75% of their workforce.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
other than its existence as a car which is fundamentally and intrinsically bad... this one gets a pass

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

other than its existence as a car which is fundamentally and intrinsically bad... this one gets a pass

yes, it is beautiful ...

... but all cars must be destroyed

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Oh wow a truck that I can easily reach into the bed.

Recently went to Home Depot and parked next to a lifted truck. Realized my station wagon had more storage space than the truck bed.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

They only banned one particular style of lift, a "Carolina Squat," where the front is lifted more than four inches higher than the back.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Martian posted:

This thread arguing about rail vs buses, meanwhile
https://twitter.com/CityOfLasVegas/status/1659348980759769088

I love that the hyperloop inhabits the same niche as a retired pop singer who's taken up a Vegas residency to wind down their career

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

lol at them just posting through it in the replies

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I've never been to Las Vegas but a few years back a guy who posts elsewhere on this dead gay forum moved there for work and chronicled how it slowly drove him insane

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I've never been to Las Vegas but a few years back a guy who posts elsewhere on this dead gay forum moved there for work and chronicled how it slowly drove him insane

I like City Nerd's chronicles of living there. I still don't know why he moved there.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Did she say she's glad? Cool mom. Should have not let him get it in the first place :grin:

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

quote:

Roads have a natural speed to them that drivers will tend to go regardless of the posted speed - there have been studies on this. And many of the grids are set up with lights cycling for 30mph travel, and many others run off sensors in the road. "20 is Plenty" is moral panic NIMBY bullshit that seems to have luckily few adherents.

Pro-tip: If you are building up a line of cars following you like a slow-moving and aggrieved convoy, then you are the problem.

quote:

Bringing up one of the reductio ad absurdum arguments from the "20 is Plenty" crowd is not terribly convincing. As I said before, roads tend to have a natural speed that people will drive at, regardless of what the speed limit signs say. Usually the posted speed is too low, but if I recall in experiments when they increased the posted speed from the usual rate of travel people did not speed up. This is akin to the basic rule, that you should drive at a speed appropriate for the driving conditions. For narrow residential streets like mine, yeah, 20 is fine. For wide thoroughfares with bike lanes and parking on both sides and good lines of sight, not so much.

A significant uptick in death by car over the pandemic was heavily skewed to occurring in poor neighborhoods near industrial zones. Putting proper infrastructure in place to make crossing the street safer would do more than trying to impose arbitrarily low speed limits. It's bad enough the freeways here have that laughable 65mph speed limit.

In any case, how would you enforce your draconian "20 is Plenty" plan? Hire more cops to do traffic patrol? Speed traps? Go even more into a surveillance state with more cameras operated by out-of-state or out-of-country companies spitting out tickets willy nilly?

I'm all for appropriate speed limits and traffic controls, but there should be a specific reason for them to exist on a particular street. And a lot of the poo poo I see going up around here fails that test, unless you count "the neighbors made a lot of noise at city council meetings" as an adequate reason.

quote:

You're assuming the current speeds here are a problem, which they generally are not. This is people trying to force a solution for a problem that largely does not exist.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sounds like they want traffic calming

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

mystes posted:

Sounds like they want traffic calming

Oh. Do they?

quote:

Part of the city council is very anti-car, pro-bike, which has resulted in a lot of dumb and punitive traffic controls (like suspension-wrecking speed bumps) which has increased congestion on other nearby streets because they hosed up the old artery. Then they do a shocked Pikachu face when the intersections at 29th and Chambers and 18th and Chambers clog up, when it's because of their own actions.

Lincoln, Jefferson, Friendly, and 24th all used to be options to cross that part of town, but now all those streets have speed bumps so people avoid them. It's just staggeringly dumb civic design.

Edit:

quote:

Not here. The reductio ad absurdum here is taking national numbers and trying to apply them to a local area. Pedestrians getting hit by cars is rare enough it makes the local news, and in a majority of cases it is pedestrians doing dumb things that are the root cause.

HashtagGirlboss has issued a correction as of 19:43 on May 19, 2023

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I really hope that's all from Reddit and not these august forums.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

"suspension-wrekcing speed bumps" :qq:

e: "Pedestrians getting hit by cars" is unnecessarily inflammatory anti-car rhetoric. please say "pedos died suddenly in the vicinity of an intersection"

Clark Nova has issued a correction as of 20:39 on May 19, 2023

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
lol that they take the correct statement: people will drive as fast as they feel comfortable driving on a street regardless of the posted limit and take it to mean that everyone should drive as fast as possible

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

cat botherer posted:

I really hope that's all from Reddit and not these august forums.

Hope in one hand and poo poo in the other…

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Oh. Do they?

Edit:

Lmao "I hear about pedestrians hit by cars on the news so it must be rare". I'm sure if it wasn't on the news, the conclusion would be "it's so rare that I don't even hear about it on the news".

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Ensign Expendable posted:

Lmao "I hear about pedestrians hit by cars on the news so it must be rare". I'm sure if it wasn't on the news, the conclusion would be "it's so rare that I don't even hear about it on the news".

Also notable that it only makes the news when there’s a fatality, significant injuries don’t draw clicks anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I hate the "roads have a natural speed limit" meme. It's a loving road there's nothing natural about it.