Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

Cool, thank you. I'm so starved for rupees alongside everyone else that I thought about getting a second piece of cold weather clothing, stopped in the shop, and then ran off to pick some more hot peppers. 500 rupees for a shirt, gently caress that.

The useless cosplay armor also sell for 600 a pop. I bought the Rito headpiece for the nice hair braids, and combined with the starter warm pants I haven't had cold issues all game.

Another good source of easyish rupees I didn't realize till later on are the monster hit quests given from the emergency shelter in lookout town. If you're lucky you may have already killed some of them and the guy will just give you the 100 rupees just for talking to him.

Lastly regarding gems, there are several Blessing shrines that have a chest with a diamond or other gem. If you just hated smashing ore for some reason, you could still get a round of gems after each bloody moon.

Don't be afraid to sell poo poo for rupees when you want em. That expensive armor will do you a lot more good now than it will later when you have more rupees than you can spend and only want truffles and Hinox guts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Phenotype posted:

I bought the hat to go along with the pants from the newbie island! Part of the trick is getting over your hoarder tendencies -- while you don't get many rupees, you do get absolute fucktons of monster bits and other materials that you can sell for cash as long as you can bear with only having 25 Bokoblin Fangs instead of 50. Although fuckin A, 1000 rupees for the pants is way too steep. I picked up the glowy pants from Kakariko too (but man, these are much more silly-looking than I thought they'd be, gotta find a better pair of pants for general wear.)

Again, can someone point me in the right direction for finding out more about Spooky Dave and/or the general idea of what's happening with the spooky fog and the upheaval?

Or where you guys are finding more Forge Constructs to upgrade your Battery? I've only found the one on the newbie island, and I've visited him twice now and bought out his whole stock, but he's only got 10 thingies at a time.

there's one in the depths in a direction robbie points you in in the first quest, at the location that breadcrumb trail ends at.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
P.s. if you are hunting Hinox guts, maybe anecdotal luck, but Hinox's I hadn't killed before seemed to drop a guts whereas ones I had it seemed like a low rate loot drop. Re-killed 5 Hinox last night and got 1 guts. Killed 4 new ones and got four guts.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
Whats the new patch do?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Khanstant posted:

The useless cosplay armor also sell for 600 a pop. I bought the Rito headpiece for the nice hair braids, and combined with the starter warm pants I haven't had cold issues all game.

The Rito hat, the archaic warm leggings, and that blue tunic thing I found in a cave that gives a freezing attack in cold weather all synergize to make me look/feel like a right proper Paperback Fantasy Novel Snow Elf

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Nea posted:

there's one in the depths in a direction robbie points you in in the first quest, at the location that breadcrumb trail ends at.
Wait, really? By the statue you take a picture of?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Finally got my twin fan air scooter going, and folks it is worth any amount of frustration to get it going. Effortlessly zooming around the last couple sky islands I hadn't done yet, and onto the depths to get it lit up next

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

CapnAndy posted:

Wait, really? By the statue you take a picture of?

No the follow up to that quest will take you where you want to go.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've gotten a fair bit of Luminous Ore and the flavour text says it's for armor, where should I head to put it to use?

A good chunk of it can be spent on upgrading the glowstick skelly gimpsuit with a bonus and I quote "Disguise; Bone Weap. Prof.".

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

Finally got my twin fan air scooter going, and folks it is worth any amount of frustration to get it going. Effortlessly zooming around the last couple sky islands I hadn't done yet, and onto the depths to get it lit up next

Can someone repost the video of this? I can’t get this right and need to rewatch it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Electric Phantasm posted:

Oh poo poo is this actually a thing? I might have to stop killing them...

yeah it seems to work like in BoTW where killing promoted enemies and minibosses increments an invisible counter that, after certain thresholds, triggers enemies to be replaced with their higher-level variants.
fwiw I don't think you really have to worry too much about falling behind the scaling because of how directly monster parts influence your strength in TOTK.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

CuddleCryptid posted:

Cool, thank you. I'm so starved for rupees alongside everyone else that I thought about getting a second piece of cold weather clothing, stopped in the shop, and then ran off to pick some more hot peppers. 500 rupees for a shirt, gently caress that.

go mining. smack ore deposits. an average gem sells for like 150 rupees

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

CuddleCryptid posted:

How many gems should I be reasonably holding on to? I need cash but I don't want to end up selling all the gems I can reasonably get without finding far flung caves to replenish them.

In Goron Town you meet a lady who will pay 10% more for a group of 10 of a gem. She cycles what she is buying between different gem types, and as far as I can tell it only changes when you sell to her. If you don’t need cash immediately I’d suggest holding out to sell groups of 10 to her.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Thanks for letting me know you can sell armors for rupees. This means poes are effectively money since you can trade them for more dlc armor.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

RandolphCarter posted:

Can someone repost the video of this? I can’t get this right and need to rewatch it.

I ended up just putting two fans down side by side and rotating the control panel 45 degrees between them, the only real trick is ensuring the panel itself is actually in line with the first fan and that both fans are connected in the same spot in the same way on their side. It'll be 10+ minutes of being thrown around wildly but of all the setups I found this one easiest because there's only one fiddly part. I'll try to find a video of someone doing it how I did if somebody else doesn't first

Keebler
Aug 21, 2000

FrickenMoron posted:

I finished all 3 labyrinths and can't believe how poo poo this reward is.

Is there an actual side quest available that directs you to do these or do you kind of just go do them and collect the reward from each?

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Republicans posted:

Pretty fun glitch to get the prologue master sword into the main game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzoZAIbcJ-U

Incredibly strong for the early game but unfortunately you can't fuse anything to it so it'll get overtaken in power as you get better weapons and fuse fodder. But it's the only indestructible weapon in the game I'm aware of.

Yeah I was pretty behind in the thread and jumped forward to look and am surprised no one else is talking about this stuff. Was there a "no glitching talk" rule I missed?

Having a moderate damage weapon which doesn't break and multiple near infinite durability shields really takes a lot of anxiety out of the game for me and lets me charge into enemies and smash without hoping I don't break more things than I pick up.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Keebler posted:

Is there an actual side quest available that directs you to do these or do you kind of just go do them and collect the reward from each?

Visit one and you'll find out.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

buffbus posted:

Yeah I was pretty behind in the thread and jumped forward to look and am surprised no one else is talking about this stuff. Was there a "no glitching talk" rule I missed?

Having a moderate damage weapon which doesn't break and multiple near infinite durability shields really takes a lot of anxiety out of the game for me and lets me charge into enemies and smash without hoping I don't break more things than I pick up.

you really really shouldn't worry about that in this game. the growing pile of monster horns in your inventory is worth way more than the stick you broke over their heads to get it

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

buffbus posted:

Nah, it just makes the game less fun. Like 90% of this game is finding stuff and putting it together, why would you want to duplicate infinite amounts of what you need and ruin the fun?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Phenotype posted:

I'm scared to look up anything story-related, though, so can someone please give me a pointer? Where should I go for just some basic info on Spooky Dave and what he's doing?

Do the geoglyphs. If you want to do them in chronological order, follow Impa to where she said she was going after the one you did earlier. (You should have a quest that tells you, if you don't remember.) You can also get some hints about Zelda by doing the newspaper quests, that start at what used to be the old Rito stable.

MiracleFlare posted:

Seconding that doing tears out of order or even just too many at once spoil some major things you don't get to for a while following other main quests. I remember someone here suggesting you should do 2-3 per phenomena and uh that's really not the best idea because Tear #7 spoils something you wouldn't find out until after dealing with the phenomena and the stuff right after it.

I really don't think "spoiling" is the right term. There're two main ways of learning about what's going on, just because you do one before the other doesn't spoil the latter. Doing the geoglyphs out of order is about as close to spoiling gets for those that don't like stories told out of order (which I think if they had Impa always at the first one you come across so she can point you to where you can find the order would have helped), but I still think it works fine given what's going on. Maybe it's because I didn't do them (majorly) out of order that I don't find them that bad, and actually really enjoyed the process?

Khanstant posted:

The stealth up is often more a hindrance anyway. Good for catching bugs but just makes enemy camps kind of annoying if there's some stragglers who never caught wind of the big fight going on and you have to go hunt em down instead of them rushing at you.

Use your whistle. Even if it doesn't immediately pull them towards you, they'll hear you and pop up a question mark you can see through walls.

Crawfish posted:

Speaking of the compendium, has anyone found an NPC selling default pics for compendium entries?

It was the same guy that gave/showed you how to use the camera in BotW but I haven't seen or heard a whisper this time.

It's not the same guy. Robbie tells you how to get them when you first get the Sensor+ upgrade that lets you track using them.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

CapnAndy posted:

Nah, it just makes the game less fun. Like 90% of this game is finding stuff and putting it together, why would you want to duplicate infinite amounts of what you need and ruin the fun?

Yeah, it's the same for the item duplication glitch. Half the people I see online are going "what rupee shortage, I just dupe gems all day" and you have to wonder why they're even playing.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
What is the game kind of expecting or training me to do for combat? I'm still getting almost one shot in most over world encounters and just breaking entire weapons trying to kill one of the baddies. Is the idea to lean towards contraptions to do the dirty work? Or to come back when I have stronger gear?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

PageMaster posted:

What is the game kind of expecting or training me to do for combat? I'm still getting almost one shot in most over world encounters and just breaking entire weapons trying to kill one of the baddies. Is the idea to lean towards contraptions to do the dirty work? Or to come back when I have stronger gear?

both

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

PageMaster posted:

Probably need to fuse more and go to a different area, the game tries it's best to get people to go do Rito poo poo first and nobody listens. You really should follow up with the first wave of NPCs you run into, like that guy above who can't figure out the Great Fairy needs to go talk to the bird dude who you meet post first tower unlock.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

PageMaster posted:

All enemies drop fusable items that defeat themselves in a reasonable number of attacks.

Fuse more.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Epic High Five posted:

Same but now it’s making me want to focus on building more cells because I want all the energy for all the flying.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

Thanks for letting me know you can sell armors for rupees. This means poes are effectively money since you can trade them for more dlc armor.

I got all the Poe armor so I'm just saving up Poes for the boss run and I'll buy the whole set of Legacy Weapons to fuse good parts to.

I've also come to love 2 handers, which also means more room for rocket shield stock. No more awkward go to block a hit and JK I'm going to the moon lol.

The charge attack on 2 handers is just so good at creaming bosses. I think flux construct are the ones I prefer to go at with a 1 hander because you often don't get time and space for the long shotput spin. Hinox are also like free loot bags, pop on attack armor and just charge with a spear or 2 hand sword and half the time they're dead as soon as the boss health bar shows up.

Shout outs to the Hinox with wooden flammable ankle guards, death via rear end pokes while they do the on-fire jitterbug.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
I don't think this is a spoiler but how the armor and heart mechanics work together. Nothing in the game can one shot you at full health, if it was going to kill you it leaves you with a partial heart. Being at full health is mandatory because if you aren't at full health hits will one shot you if it's more than all your hearts. At the start before you have good armor having a few hearts means things are still one shotting you but you are spending more mats getting back to full health so you are guaranteed two hits again. So basically spend light on stamina until you start getting high armor points for damage reduction before spending on hearts. Bit of a dumb mechanic how it works out.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

ikanreed posted:

All enemies drop fusable items that defeat themselves in a reasonable number of attacks.

Fuse more.

Yeah, I am finding myself with an overabundance of good weapons, especially now that I've got 13 or 14 inventory slots. I've got a giant stack of monster bits that add like 7 damage to anything I fuse them onto, and there are tons of sticks and crappy swords everywhere. I keep a rock smasher, an elemental wand or two from the wizrobes, and often a flamespitter fused weapon, and then I've got like ten good weapons or above-average base weapons to graft onto as needed. And then everything I kill drops more damaging monster bits and usually a few base weapons too.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

gariig posted:

I don't think this is a spoiler but how the armor and heart mechanics work together. Nothing in the game can one shot you at full health, if it was going to kill you it leaves you with a partial heart. Being at full health is mandatory because if you aren't at full health hits will one shot you if it's more than all your hearts. At the start before you have good armor having a few hearts means things are still one shotting you but you are spending more mats getting back to full health so you are guaranteed two hits again. So basically spend light on stamina until you start getting high armor points for damage reduction before spending on hearts. Bit of a dumb mechanic how it works out.

enemies can still one-shot you if the damage they deal is a certain amount higher than your max health

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Same but now it’s making me want to focus on building more cells because I want all the energy for all the flying.

Good news then about how much easier exploring the Depths is with one! I'm still perfecting a ground vehicle with an emphasis on it being cheap to build, but in the process of doing so I've amassed a huge amount of zoanite lol. I only use the large for energy cells since the return on the smalls is so bad and they make building easier but that may have to change

Khanstant posted:

I got all the Poe armor so I'm just saving up Poes for the boss run and I'll buy the whole set of Legacy Weapons to fuse good parts to.

I've also come to love 2 handers, which also means more room for rocket shield stock. No more awkward go to block a hit and JK I'm going to the moon lol.

The charge attack on 2 handers is just so good at creaming bosses. I think flux construct are the ones I prefer to go at with a 1 hander because you often don't get time and space for the long shotput spin. Hinox are also like free loot bags, pop on attack armor and just charge with a spear or 2 hand sword and half the time they're dead as soon as the boss health bar shows up.

Shout outs to the Hinox with wooden flammable ankle guards, death via rear end pokes while they do the on-fire jitterbug.

I started to really like 2 handers when I started treating them like a Souls game and made sure to always open with a sprinting attack or jumping attack, both of which come out quick and ready your weapon for the spin to win

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

gariig posted:

This makes sense if you are good at the game, but if you are like me and get hit constantly... Well, I'd rather not be healing that often.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Last night I finally finished my roundabout tour of most of the northern half of Hyrule (it takes time when you get distracted by every Korok, shrine, tower, stable, and other weird thing you see on the way) and got back to Lookout Landing to finally take the first chasm quest so I could get my camera. (I also got to finally turn in the 20-odd shrine tokens and korok seeds I'd been carrying around that were doing me no good, which was also nice. Are there just not a lot of goddess statues, or am I bad at looking?)

Once I was down there and had done that, I explored some more. I'd been down once before, when I went "oooh what's this weird hole with Gloom all around it" and jumped in, and that time I'd rescued some Poes, ridden a skeleton horse, and then found one particular enemy mining site and tried to challenge it, only to have my rear end handed to me like a dozen times before I gave it up as beating my head against a brick wall and teleported back to the surface. This time in my explorations, I found no skeleton horses, rescued some more Poes, got a fuckton of zoanite, and managed to find that exact same enemy camp in my wanderings (its layout and enemy composition had been burned into my brain). This time I clowned them all without much effort and felt very good about myself. I also killed two Stalnoxes.

Robbie and whatsherface (Josah?) made noises about wanting to do more stuff but wouldn't give me a follow-up quest, though.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
On how long the timeskip and how it affects ages, even within the same town it's a bit inconsistent. In Rito Village Tulin and all of Kass's daughters are now visibly older, but Molli is still using the small child model. Same with the Gerudo and stablehand kids, some got older while others stayed the same. If not for Mattison existing I would've estimated a 2-3 year timeskip with some characters not hitting their growth spurts yet. The real answer could just be that they prioritized characters people were more likely to remember and everyone else was just a crapshoot. I straight up forgot who Molli was and had to look it up (Harth's daughter).

Onean posted:

I really don't think "spoiling" is the right term. There're two main ways of learning about what's going on, just because you do one before the other doesn't spoil the latter. Doing the geoglyphs out of order is about as close to spoiling gets for those that don't like stories told out of order (which I think if they had Impa always at the first one you come across so she can point you to where you can find the order would have helped), but I still think it works fine given what's going on. Maybe it's because I didn't do them (majorly) out of order that I don't find them that bad, and actually really enjoyed the process?

The problem is that the four main town questlines lean into the mystery of why Zelda keeps appearing in strange circumstances, sometimes siccing monsters on people. And again while it's a pretty flimsy mystery where the answer is easily guessed, it gets a little silly seeing characters working themselves up over it when you already know the truth.

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 19, 2023

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

gariig posted:

That's definitely not true.

Many things can hit you sufficiently hard that you will die from full health.

See that time a white lynel hit me and I had 6 hearts and no armour upgrades.

(That's not to say your advice is wrong, it's definitely a good understanding of the game!)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

MiracleFlare posted:

The problem is that the four main town questlines lean into the mystery of why Zelda keeps appearing in strange circumstances, sometimes siccing monsters on people. And again while it's a pretty flimsy mystery where the answer is easily guessed, it gets a little silly seeing characters working themselves up over it when you already know the truth.

Then there are the stable questlines, which as far as I can figure out from where I am, frequently look like Zelda doing something evil but were actually her doing something good? So, presumably that was the real Zelda, and therefore must have happened before she disappeared, and were therefore obviously irrelevant to the search for her?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'm kinda pissed off that all the jewelery head pieces put Links hair back in the drat pony tail. I like it let out and wanted just go round in the Archaic Set without having to be made of the softest, finest china. 20 hearts might as well be wishful thinking when silver mobs start showing up and your Defense is single digits.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

Whats the new patch do?

Looks like it fixes an issue with the quest The Closed Door, and then some generic, unnamed, "Several issues have been addressed to improve the gameplay experience"

https://www.eurogamer.net/zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-patch-notes-9343
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/Nintendo-Switch/Game-Updates/How-to-Update-The-Legend-of-Zelda-Tears-of-the-Kingdom-2388231.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I hate the silver bokoblin horn so much