Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I vaguely remember one where they were all fish or something and gave up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Sentient Data posted:

Unless you specifically want to re-experience the fall of the simpsons, then consider the season 4 ending (Devil's Hands) to be the series finale, and do not watch the rest of the run. MAYBE the thread can come up with a couple episodes from the later runs for you to treat as an epilogue, but if you keep watching past season 4 you only signing up for disappointment at best

E: missed that it was a rewatch

Oh yeah I was there for the original burnout. I remember eagerly waiting for the movie reboots & sitting there silently wondering what was missing and why it wasn’t funny anymore. The Beast with a Billion Backs was especially garbage.

Expecting the reboot to be nothing, although Beavis & Butthead’s return has been surprisingly excellent. Although that show has the advantage of being a smaller production able to do whatever they want, like how the writers end episodes with them dying then back to normal next week. Futurama has too much baggage & cooks in the kitchen for that creative freedom.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Cocaine Bear posted:

I vaguely remember one where they were all fish or something and gave up.

I think that was the series finale. I dunno why, maybe they thought they were getting renewed? Such a weird episode to go out on.

It’s such a boring uninteresting slog of quite literally nothing happening. The entire premise is “what if Futurama cast, but animals???” and that is all. No jokes, no animal jokes, no character jokes, no nothing. Played straightforward like a National Geographic special. I think Fry and Leela were otters? Whatever.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

You Are A Elf posted:

I think that was the series finale. I dunno why, maybe they thought they were getting renewed? Such a weird episode to go out on.

It’s such a boring uninteresting slog of quite literally nothing happening. The entire premise is “what if Futurama cast, but animals???” and that is all. No jokes, no animal jokes, no character jokes, no nothing. Played straightforward like a National Geographic special. I think Fry and Leela were otters? Whatever.

Nah, the last series finale was pretty good. Fry gets a time rewinder and uses it so much it fritzes out and freezes the world.

I think that one was a season finale though. They did a lot of anthology season finales in the Comedy Central years. The Saturday Morning Cartoon one was supposed to be the series finale but it sucked so much poo poo that they called an audible.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Nah, the last series finale was pretty good. Fry gets a time rewinder and uses it so much it fritzes out and freezes the world.

I think that one was a season finale though. They did a lot of anthology season finales in the Comedy Central years. The Saturday Morning Cartoon one was supposed to be the series finale but it sucked so much poo poo that they called an audible.

Oh yeah was that the one with the lazy Scooby Doo parody? Like they somehow weren’t aware Harvey Birdman had already mined that concept expertly? There was that bad Community episode too that seemed to think no one had previously poked fun at Gi Joe being silly.

Scrolling through list of upcoming eps, maybe it won’t be too bad… “Zapp Gets Cancelled” oh no.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah the previous finale also had that great time rewinder device, which was a nice sci-fi problem. Especially with the whole gimmick that Fry felt all the time he was falling, and eventually got tired from doing it so long.

There was that body swap episode too, and they were so drat proud of that one. They had a math formula up on the screen for like 5 seconds so you could really absorb just how smart they were.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

IUG posted:

Yeah the previous finale also had that great time rewinder device, which was a nice sci-fi problem. Especially with the whole gimmick that Fry felt all the time he was falling, and eventually got tired from doing it so long.

There was that body swap episode too, and they were so drat proud of that one. They had a math formula up on the screen for like 5 seconds so you could really absorb just how smart they were.

Body swapping was a good one. I liked the one where they become firemen. The Thing parody was a good one.

Out of the Comedy Central years though, just a handful of good ones and as many atrocities as good ones.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Scrolling through list of upcoming eps, maybe it won’t be too bad… “Zapp Gets Cancelled” oh no.

No.

NO.

I refuse to believe. :colbert:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I dead-rear end stopped on the Susan Boyle one and never watched another Futurama anything ever again. It felt like it had spit at me and missed, and I'm not giving it a second shot.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
If you never watched The Late Phillip J Fry, you should. Probably JUST that one.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Das Boo posted:

It felt like it had spit at me and missed, and I'm not giving it a second shot.

Just wanna let you know this is a badass descriptor and I’m totally stealing it :smugdog:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

If you never watched The Late Phillip J Fry, you should. Probably JUST that one.

... Maybe.

You Are A Elf posted:

Just wanna let you know this is a badass descriptor and I’m totally stealing it :smugdog:

DO IT!

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

dr_rat posted:

Sort of like with the simpsons. They've done so many different versions of "oh no homer was a jerk and now the simpsons marriage is in trouble!!! oh everything just sort of resolved itself out of nowhere in the last two minutes, all good folks!" why would anyone still care?

Even though the Simpsons wasn’t about continuity I feel its decline tracks with when it started feeling like there weren’t any “stakes”. In golden era Simpsons, the show could make you care about their relationships and ultimately want things to work out for the family.

By the time they, say, get stranded in Japan, I don’t give a poo poo if they make it back to Springfield.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Say what you want about Futurama (it's great!) but in terms of good bad episode ratio it trounced the Simpsons, and there's nothing you can do about it.

It also had way more heart, no matter how that one episode with Homer's mother made you feel

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Alan_Shore posted:

Say what you want about Futurama (it's great!) but in terms of good bad episode ratio it trounced the Simpsons, and there's nothing you can do about it.

It also had way more heart, no matter how that one episode with Homer's mother made you feel

Even accounting for all the ~550 bad episodes of post- GoodSimpsons, there's ~200 good ones. Meanwhile there are about ~80 good Futurama episodes. This is going off the general consensus that Simpsons is good up through somewhere around season 9 and Futurama is good through the end of the original run (season 4).

I would make a list of every heartfelt moment in GoodSimpsons but it would take forever and be really long because there's actually a ton of moments like that in the good seasons that I think you might be forgetting.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 19, 2023

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Even accounting for all the ~550 bad episodes of post- GoodSimpsons, there's ~200 good ones. Meanwhile there are about ~80 good Futurama episodes.

I would make a list of every heartfelt moment in GoodSimpsons but it would take forever and be really long because there's actually a ton of moments like that in the good seasons that I think you might be forgetting.

Yeah, like that time Lisa sang Ke$ha, really tore at my heartstrings.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Alan_Shore posted:

That's where you're wrong. I'm a Hulu executive and I just renewed Futurama for another season

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

IUG posted:

Ugh yeah, I like when they have gags like Fry thinking he made a clever jokes and the camera awkwardly lingers on him, but trying to show off math skills when the show’s writing is sliding badly isn’t a good look. Similar to modern Simpsons bragging about more emmy wins for whatever garbage they churned out, like that indicates it is as good as ever.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

That head swapping formula was actually a new formula they created that won science awards though right? A bit different to an Emmy

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Ugh yeah, I like when they have gags like Fry thinking he made a clever jokes and the camera awkwardly lingers on him, but trying to show off math skills when the show’s writing is sliding badly isn’t a good look. Similar to modern Simpsons bragging about more emmy wins for whatever garbage they churned out, like that indicates it is as good as ever.

There are times when a show is really firing on all cylinders and it can get away with just stunting on another show. Like when Drawn Together had a bit where there was an "escape from prison" sequence that was an homage to the Shawshank Redemption, and the texture and style of it was such that I was thinking "wow, you know what, this feels like a Family Guy bit". And just as I was thinking that, Peter and Lois walk by in the background with their heads out of frame :lmao:

Futurama never attempted that kind of shade when it could back it up.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Hyrax Attack! posted:

One thing that seems uncomfortable to modern eyes (& I don’t know if it’s already been addressed or is a tired talking point) is how Bender is a robot voiced by a white guy but is often coded as having African American mannerisms like complaining about female robot “sisters” dating humans, attending a robot church whose minster is a Jesse Jackson/Al Sharpton parody, when told to work complains “Yes, Miz Leela, tote that space barge, lift that space bale.”

Combined with Bender’s mannerisms of constant crime, drinking, seeking to scam welfare, etc wondering if that was a symptom of a Harvard writers room not having the best judgment about stereotypes.

I think you may be overanalyzing a cartoon.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I’ve been rewatching Futurama for the first time in a while & am still upbeat about it as I’m only up to season 4, positives include how nice the animation looks and the delightful voice acting. Not without its flaws but the early seasons were solid & while not quite up there with heavyweight prime Simpsons and King of the Hill they are fun.

One thing that seems uncomfortable to modern eyes (& I don’t know if it’s already been addressed or is a tired talking point) is how Bender is a robot voiced by a white guy but is often coded as having African American mannerisms like complaining about female robot “sisters” dating humans, attending a robot church whose minster is a Jesse Jackson/Al Sharpton parody, when told to work complains “Yes, Miz Leela, tote that space barge, lift that space bale.”

Combined with Bender’s mannerisms of constant crime, drinking, seeking to scam welfare, etc wondering if that was a symptom of a Harvard writers room not having the best judgment about stereotypes.

Bender has very poor judgment, so even if there is something a little janky with how they present his mannerisms, I would guess most of them would be dismissed by saying that yeah, Bender does some really lovely things.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Bender is Mexican.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Zero One posted:

Bender is Mexican.

This

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the worst thing Bender's done (both least funny and needlessly cruel) is the episode where he made up the holiday Robonukkah and he needed to get petroleum oil for his robo-floozies to wrestle in, so he went drilling, but when there was a cave-in that trapped him and the rest of the cast, he ended up waiting until the human cast decomposed and turned into oil to be his Robonukkah miracle.

I heard once that when Futurama started, it ended up drawing a bunch of the "smart guy" writers away from other comedy projects, but I don't really know any other details about that.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think the worst thing Bender's done (both least funny and needlessly cruel) is the episode where he made up the holiday Robonukkah and he needed to get petroleum oil for his robo-floozies to wrestle in, so he went drilling, but when there was a cave-in that trapped him and the rest of the cast, he ended up waiting until the human cast decomposed and turned into oil to be his Robonukkah miracle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJL1zlJx41g

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

So would it have been better or worse if in anthology of interest Bender got turned into a brown guy instead of white and blonde

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

It being a cartoon shouldn't matter.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

This

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Hyrax Attack! posted:

And the award thing isn't even that impressive if Emmy voters are the same as Oscar voters who don't even pay attention to anything in the animation category and vote on name recognition alone. It's not that The Simpson's is actually award worthy it's just the one name in the nominee list they recognize and they're not going to watch something called Bojack Horseman

...yeah I'm still bitter

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 20, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And rightly so

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The Emmys and Academy Awards are garbage, anyway.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Data Graham posted:

And rightly so

Between the Emmy's and the Tony's, 2017 remains the year in which I am incredibly salty about awards :argh:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Happy Landfill posted:

Between the Emmy's and the Tony's, 2017 remains the year in which I am incredibly salty about awards :argh:

*checks 2017 Tony’s Wikipedia* lol Kevin Spacey on the poster. How did Come From Away not win best musical? I saw that touring and it was excellent.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Hyrax Attack! posted:

*checks 2017 Tony’s Wikipedia* lol Kevin Spacey on the poster. How did Come From Away not win best musical? I saw that touring and it was excellent.

Come From Away was absolutely the shoe-in for Best Musical.

I am a Great Comet of 1812 fan and I will die mad about Dear Even Hansen :negative:

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 20, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Last fall my nieces were working up their version of the pilot's song and god drat

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I’ve been rewatching Futurama for the first time in a while & am still upbeat about it as I’m only up to season 4, positives include how nice the animation looks and the delightful voice acting. Not without its flaws but the early seasons were solid & while not quite up there with heavyweight prime Simpsons and King of the Hill they are fun.

Weirdly on top of that, he's literally of a class of sentient beings that are considered property, and there's occasional references to robots being somewhat African-American coded outside of Bender himself. Puts some new context to his riff of Jimmy Crack Corn, but they do commit to the bit.

Data Graham posted:

There are times when a show is really firing on all cylinders and it can get away with just stunting on another show. Like when Drawn Together had a bit where there was an "escape from prison" sequence that was an homage to the Shawshank Redemption, and the texture and style of it was such that I was thinking "wow, you know what, this feels like a Family Guy bit". And just as I was thinking that, Peter and Lois walk by in the background with their heads out of frame :lmao:

Futurama never attempted that kind of shade when it could back it up.

Drawn Together is an odd one where it's various kinds of bad taste and very 00s gross and mean, but sometimes taken to degrees that get funny again out of absurdity. Weirdly enough I feel like it helps that it's having fun with the source material rather than purely making jabs at it, and extending metaphors til they break.

Also somehow even more lol that one main character is explicitly representative of 00s Newgrounds flash animations.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Data Graham posted:

Last fall my nieces were working up their version of the pilot's song and god drat

That's so cool :unsmith: It's such a good show! They have great taste

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

I heard once that when Futurama started, it ended up drawing a bunch of the "smart guy" writers away from other comedy projects, but I don't really know any other details about that.
I've heard that the first time Futurama ended, much of the writing team moved to American Dad and were responsible for that show's best seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/juchemane/status/1659768759500824576?s=61&t=0u0iPLgsrw9rb7UXErdBQA