Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Poor Alden, he's not going back to school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Threads of Destiny 226

I almost feel like the Duchess legitimately wants to connect with her daughter, but is like really terrible at it. Probably because of how much 8th realm folks have lost touch with the mortal world. I get the impression that these things she keeps doing to Renxiang like having her hang out with her new sister or visit herself in the evening are not some 12th dimensional play to set up Renxiang as a chess piece. But rather that she's just actually trying to do motherly things and her aura, and lack of understanding of what's normal (and the terrible trauma she inflicted on Renxiang when she made Liming) ruin it.

Edit:

Oh, the rare second-person perspective. That's hard to pull off.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 18, 2023

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
At this point I just tell myself Beware of Chicken updates Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. Sometimes not even that.

Besides that it's been pretty good lately. I feel like he's improved his pacing and is doing fewer check-ins with characters who aren't doing anything.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nettle Soup posted:

Poor Alden, he's not going back to school.

Are you saying that you think he'll end up with a long-term contract? I think that's possible, but I don't think it's necessarily likely (it's hard for me to think of much that Alden would consider an appropriate payment). And if he returns to Earth, I don't see any reason for him not to return to his "normal" schedule until it comes time to go to the island.

edit: Kinda unrelated, but the one thing I've been a little disappointed about in recent chapters is that we haven't actually gotten much/any information about the lessons Alden is receiving from Joe. We only really heard about the very first "sample" one IIRC.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Mr. Prokosch posted:

At this point I just tell myself Beware of Chicken updates Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. Sometimes not even that.

Besides that it's been pretty good lately. I feel like he's improved his pacing and is doing fewer check-ins with characters who aren't doing anything.

He's trying to juggle one too many plot threads at once, but all the plot threads are in interesting spots so it's not too big a problem.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Einander posted:

There's going to be some reason for him to eat it, because of how weird that intrusive thought was and the big focus on food in the chapter. I look forward to learning how eating bits of people is part of Alden's path to power.

Nah.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Are you saying that you think he'll end up with a long-term contract? I think that's possible, but I don't think it's necessarily likely (it's hard for me to think of much that Alden would consider an appropriate payment). And if he returns to Earth, I don't see any reason for him not to return to his "normal" schedule until it comes time to go to the island.

edit: Kinda unrelated, but the one thing I've been a little disappointed about in recent chapters is that we haven't actually gotten much/any information about the lessons Alden is receiving from Joe. We only really heard about the very first "sample" one IIRC.

I figure he's gonna get a half hour, maybe a days break at home, and then somebody else is gonna nab him and he's only gonna have 30 seconds to say goodbye. You can't maintain a school schedule like that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nettle Soup posted:

I figure he's gonna get a half hour, maybe a days break at home, and then somebody else is gonna nab him and he's only gonna have 30 seconds to say goodbye. You can't maintain a school schedule like that.

I feel like it's got to be partly a coincidence that he was summoned so quickly, since it doesn't sound like anyone else, even other Rabbits, get summoned so frequently that they spend more time away from Earth than they do actually on Earth. If he's ever going to have any sort of superhero career, he's going to need to have a life on Earth and presumably attend whatever school they have on the island. If he spends 9 out of every 10 days summoned, that wouldn't be possible. If nothing else, the System probably limits this stuff for health/performance reasons.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Maybe we just never hear about the ones who get constantly summoned. Who would know!

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Einander posted:

There's going to be some reason for him to eat it, because of how weird that intrusive thought was and the big focus on food in the chapter. I look forward to learning how eating bits of people is part of Alden's path to power.

Personal assumption given what's been presented: the lesson from Joe we saw explicitly focused on ignoring parts to perceive the whole: picking up the puzzle as one object instead of separate pieces, how many objects is "a pair", etc. And the gremlin voice is confirming it views the piece of bone as "Stuart" and supports his magic in counting it/him as still "entrusted". My guess is we're heading towards a voodoo doll situation with Alden being able to remotely preserve/"shield" people via holding on to pieces of them.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Nitrousoxide posted:

Threads of Destiny 226

I almost feel like the Duchess legitimately wants to connect with her daughter, but is like really terrible at it. Probably because of how much 8th realm folks have lost touch with the mortal world. I get the impression that these things she keeps doing to Renxiang like having her hang out with her new sister or visit herself in the evening are not some 12th dimensional play to set up Renxiang as a chess piece. But rather that she's just actually trying to do motherly things and her aura, and lack of understanding of what's normal (and the terrible trauma she inflicted on Renxiang when she made Liming) ruin it.

Edit:

:sickos:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nick Buntline posted:

Personal assumption given what's been presented: the lesson from Joe we saw explicitly focused on ignoring parts to perceive the whole: picking up the puzzle as one object instead of separate pieces, how many objects is "a pair", etc. And the gremlin voice is confirming it views the piece of bone as "Stuart" and supports his magic in counting it/him as still "entrusted". My guess is we're heading towards a voodoo doll situation with Alden being able to remotely preserve/"shield" people via holding on to pieces of them.

While this is possible, the main issue is that his power is strictly limited as a "shield" by the fact that hitting said "shield" is directly taxing in a way where he wouldn't be able to handle any big hits. Nothing we've been told about how perception influences his skill seems to address that issue, since he still has to handle the metaphysical "weight" of the thing he's preserving. Plus the fact that anything he's preserving is effectively frozen in time and can't take action, so that limits its use even further as some sort of "active" defensive skill.

It's possible it could be effective at protecting against certain types of damage, though. Like his power might be effective at something like "shielding a person from extreme heat" even if it can't handle" shielding someone from a strong punch."

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

Nitrousoxide posted:

Threads of Destiny 226

Edit:

My reaction is similar to Rinaldo's. I really like that particular interlude. It's got some metal statements in it, and the reveal is pretty cool.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Katreus posted:

My reaction is similar to Rinaldo's. I really like that particular interlude. It's got some metal statements in it, and the reveal is pretty cool.

I really liked that chapter. It took a second read to actually get what the Duchess was asking of her, but I think I got it now.

Just a series a huge bombshells in these next few chapters. Timestop with the Prime Minister which basically confirms that she's the only thing keeping the Duchess tethered to the world. She had some psychiatry advice for her which has mostly matched what Sixiang has been telling her, so she's got a good measure of Ling Qi. Interestingly she seems to think Ling Qi has some interest in woman, but is paralyzed by her fear, though I don't know if I super agree with that. She's certainly shown interest in tons of men. I can't think of any woman she's shown any real interest in other than maybe a bit of jealously toward Bai Meizhen when she paired up with Bao Qingling. But that only popped up a couple of times and in a really modest way and hasn't reappeared in a long time.

I do agree that her fear of men born out of her environment she and her mother were in when she was a kid certainly paralyze any movement on that front though.

Also, the Duchess and Prime Minister had their new daughter together with no man, which it sounds like the nobles are less than pleased with.

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.
Slumrat Rising on RR is about as far along as Super Supportive (just out of the introductory arc) and extremely well written, although I kind of wish the author had chosen a less dystopian setting. The story so far is cyberpunk Forrest Gump with cultivation. Quite good but a bit too real to be escapist if that's what you are looking for.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Came across Thresholder recently and it seems pretty interesting. It's about a portal hopper entering his 3rd world and each world he's been in he has to battle another world traveler.

So far I'm really enjoying Cosme as an antagonist. Seems like he could be a chill dude that's just tired of losing and getting beat up. Meanwhile Perry seems to be mirroring the Enemy from his first world by initiating combat and going after Cosme's ally.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Thresholder is pretty cool, by the same author as Worth the Candle and This Used to be About Dungeons.

Speaking of, the very same is currently going through a fairly exhaustive exclusions doc (Worth the Candle) one chapter at a time, each day a new exclusion. Up to 9 so far, I think he's going up to 69. The first one's here: https://archiveofourown.org/works/47107573/chapters/118687699

quote:

Summary: The Publican Exclusion Zone (PUEZ) is home to roving taverns looking for people to sleep and eat inside of them. The aggressive nature of these taverns makes the zone dangerous and chaotic, though a properly prepared visitor can follow certain rules and learn to thrive within the environment.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

Nitrousoxide posted:

I really liked that chapter. It took a second read to actually get what the Duchess was asking of her, but I think I got it now.

Just a series a huge bombshells in these next few chapters. Timestop with the Prime Minister which basically confirms that she's the only thing keeping the Duchess tethered to the world. She had some psychiatry advice for her which has mostly matched what Sixiang has been telling her, so she's got a good measure of Ling Qi. Interestingly she seems to think Ling Qi has some interest in woman, but is paralyzed by her fear, though I don't know if I super agree with that. She's certainly shown interest in tons of men. I can't think of any woman she's shown any real interest in other than maybe a bit of jealously toward Bai Meizhen when she paired up with Bao Qingling. But that only popped up a couple of times and in a really modest way and hasn't reappeared in a long time.

I do agree that her fear of men born out of her environment she and her mother were in when she was a kid certainly paralyze any movement on that front though.

Also, the Duchess and Prime Minister had their new daughter together with no man, which it sounds like the nobles are less than pleased with.

The Prime Minister does not think Ling Qi has interest in women. She's just generally criticizing Ling Qi for being too scared to consider romantic attraction with a potential partner (currently).

Ling Qi and Bai Meizhen both had to learn how to let go of the intensity of their relationship since they were both each other's first friends. And Ling Qi is naturally possessive or "greedy," as she calls herself, so she has some flare-ups of it, although she's much better about recognizing healthy boundaries now.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
New Super Supportive Manon continues to be sketchy as hell and Joe continues to be great. I really hope he sticks around as a recurring character.

Grooming your own groupies and then sabotaging their opportunities to keep them is beyond petty. No way Alden doesn't get involved.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Great Super Supportive chapter. Feels like it covered a lot of ground.

Stuart is so dumb lol. I can see why Joe was so concerned; Stuart's statement to Alden doesn't really make any sense given the excuse they came up with for his injury.

Manon confuses me a bit, because it's not clear to me what she gains from having this boater group under her. She already has an extremely lucrative skill.

edit: Ah, the Patreon is up! Get an extra chapter.

edit2: Oh poo poo, some very interesting things in that chapter

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 22, 2023

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
The further I get into ShipCores third arc the more I believe the humans were right to try to wipe out the ai’s

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Its Rinaldo posted:

The further I get into ShipCores third arc the more I believe the humans were right to try to wipe out the ai’s

Funny, I felt the same way about the humans.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Ytlaya posted:

Great Super Supportive chapter. Feels like it covered a lot of ground.

Stuart is so dumb lol. I can see why Joe was so concerned; Stuart's statement to Alden doesn't really make any sense given the excuse they came up with for his injury.

Manon confuses me a bit, because it's not clear to me what she gains from having this boater group under her. She already has an extremely lucrative skill.

edit: Ah, the Patreon is up! Get an extra chapter.

edit2: Oh poo poo, some very interesting things in that chapter

$10 seems a bit too steep for me. You can buy a whole book at that price.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yeah; I commented that $5 makes more sense. The only reason I was okay with it is that Super Supportive is currently one of my top two favorite WNs I'm reading.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Had to get patreon on super supportive and the first chapter was great. Loved the dad and the drama and the creepy rabbit powers.

The price is a lot and I'll probably do a one month on and a few months off as I do with some others.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Read The Consequences of Meeting a Dragon over the last day or so, and it's very good. Fairly traditional childrens fantasy in style, and it reminds me a lot of The Fire Within. Really, really good.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

IShallRiseAgain posted:

It's a whale supporter option. Personally, I just wait for the inevitable Amazon release and give the authors money (and a review) there.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Jazerus posted:

the only story i've ever read where i sincerely believe the numbers matter is Blake Island, and those numbers aren't exposed to a casual reader at all - you could easily read the whole story without realizing that it's a tabletop rpg CYOA. most stories are simply using them to evoke an aesthetic or avoid needing to worldbuild about why everyone has superpowers, or to actively dive into worldbuilding about why everyone has superpowers. which is fine, but it's a different thing from making the numbers matter in terms of shaping the narrative

I'd say that the other writer off the top of my head who uses stats and dice would be Wildbow of the Worm series, but how much he uses them I have no idea. I have read that he decided who lives and who dies based off dice rolls but none of those rolls were visible so far as I know.

Also, I write Blake Island which is a Shadowrun CYOA. Hi. Link here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835049

So I'm on the fence about stat blocks and numbers in general. If there's anything new, interesting or exciting that's happening with said numbers then I'm there for it. If not, it's mostly just an aesthetic. I can deal with an aesthetic so long as the time spent on it is short. But some authors really like to pad their word count about stats that don't serve the narrative and aren't interesting. The more padding there is, the more I want to check out.

One of the exceptions to this is the Wandering Inn where the stat blocks and numbers are actually integrated into the story on a deep level. Everyone levels. Everyone has skills. A lot of those skills are bullshit. People judge one another based on levels and skills. And there is some sort of intelligence directing those levels and skills and in fact, the leveling system seems to create a kind of permanent stasis on the rate of development. As people die, their levels go away and anything that someone exceptional could do is lost. So any technological development only lasts the lifetime of the person who developed it.. Levels and skills and such have a real impact on individuals and the world. So I'm there for it.

What bothers me about levels, skills and stats where the number always must go up is power creep. Meaning one moment you're killing rats in someone else's basement and then by the end of the story, you've killed god and assumed their throne. If you always must get stronger, then stronger challenges come along. Some challenges are interesting, but the stronger you get, the more alienated you are from the experience of the reader. So on your way from rat killing to god killing, you must get either increasingly powerful foes or numerically powerful foes. Those numbers and stat blocks may be an aesthetic, but they necessitate change and growth. Progression must continue or you must demonstrate that the character is powerful with bigger challenges and stronger foes.

On the other hand, I'm literally working within an established RPG that's actually meant to be played. And if you aren't familiar with Shadowrun, using experience (called karma) have severely diminishing returns in raising attributes and skills. After a classic mission/run in Shadowrun, you might receive 8-10 karma points. Raising the highest skill you can get at character generation from 6 to 7 takes 14 karma points, which gives you a single extra die that's really not all that significant. And most Shadowrun campaigns don't last more than ten or twelve sessions. Meanwhile, you can raise 7 skills from 0 to 1 for the same amount to raise a skill of 6 to a skill of 7, letting you do very basic poo poo. And generally in tabletop Shadowrun games no one actually raises their main skills with karma and instead augment them with magic, tech or both because it's just more practical.

Why this matters is that all of the numbers don't go up like leveling up in a D&D game or a litrpg novel. Outside of diminishing returns on a single skill or attribute, it's a lot more practical for skills progression to be lateral, or growing a wider base of skills that you're average at. Before you didn't know how to fix cars, but after doing some shadowrunning/mercenary work where your car broke down and you got shot at a lot, you spend some time learning how to fix cars and you buy some gear to make it possible, as well as buying or stealing another car. Or maybe your medic blew up and got turned into a pretty pink mist, so someone spends experience and money to become a passable medic with a decent medkit because the player at the table doesn't want to play a medic again.

So it doesn't matter if I dump hundreds and hundreds of experience points into a character, far past what any normal tabletop group would do. Lateral progression means someone just becomes more well rounded and if I actually do want to burn experience points, I make them slightly better at the things they're best at. It feels counterintuitive that making someone better at the skills they're great by spending experience points is functionally torching experience points, but that's how the game system works.

---

Most of my dice rolling, stat blocks and working with numbers though is in storyboarding though. I really, really love doing storyboards where I do a rough sketch of what's happening before I write because I can set up a more complicated narrative while also trying to make it look smooth in its execution. And when there's some sort of skill roll that's required, I roll dice. Sometimes on their own, sometimes in opposition to someone or something else. Me rolling dice is not obvious in the story. Sometimes I put up the rolls when I post breakdowns of storyboarding which some people like to read. But otherwise you'd never know.

So for example, I'm writing my next update right now. The narrative for the storyboard is set up, informed by what happened previously by reader choices. In this scene, I'm mostly rolling two different skills/stats. The first is an etiquette roll, which informs how good the main character is at talking to people and getting along. The second is edge rolls, which determine luck. And the luck stat is one that isn't just personal, it's how I determine what happens within the entirety of the story.

The main character right now, Julie (I rotate main characters every book), is pretty decent at magic and is an excellent medic. And...That's about it. A lot of problems get solved by magic and medicine but she's not otherwise very skilled. In my game, etiquette is king and only she's okay at it. And her edge/luck stat sucks. So she's constantly having to overcome adversity as a result. And one my rules for writing is that I shouldn't only have my characters do the things they're good at. I should be constantly engaging them at tasks that they're not good at, or even completely incompetent at.

So in my most recent scene (minor spoilers ahead), she's found two victims from the local megastructure called the ACHE that's functionally a concentrate camp for the poor. And it follows a kind of natural progression in how large cities deal with their homelessness crisis. Instead of letting them live on the street, you gather them up and put them in a single place, out of sight and out of mind. And in my story, homeless people aren't seen on the streets. The city doesn't permit it. Homeless people get "housing" and "food" in the ACHE. But the housing is a nightmare and the food only lasts for 20 days, not the entire month. So these two people have escaped and caught Julie's attention, because there's a bigger escape, which has lead to looting, fires and a small time riot as desperate people try to feed themselves at the end of the month.

So because she's in Seattle, she finds these people in ragged clothing. Clothing that's supposed to fall apart after a while, because corporations sell clothing "as a service" to the poor. The temporary clothing, called flats, instantly mark someone out as being from said concentration camp, which is not regarded as a concentration camp because language is used to disguise what things actually are. And they stink, because there's no trash pickup in said concentration camp. So there's no hiding who they are or where they've come from. They're wearing flats, they smell foul and they're starving. That means they're from the ACHE and people from the ACHE don't get to leave without a certain amount of money in the old bank account or a job. The first is basically impossible to get and the second is very possible to get, but you become a wage slave, working 16 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.

So the scene takes place at a fish and chips place in a touristy area, because Shadowrun feels a lot like Brazil sometimes because the very wealthy and the very poor don't live that far away from one another. There are riots and fires going on elsewhere, but these two people are just scrounging for abandoned fish (actually reconstituted krill in the shape of fish, actual fish is only for the wealthy) and chips that people leave behind when they're done eating. They're not bothering anyone, they're just trying to feed themselves.

So because the police are busy stuffing Seattle's poorest back into the concentration camp, there's not a lot of coverage and so these people aren't immediately beaten, arrested or murdered for the crime of being poor and not in the concentration camp. There are mercenaries in this area, because the police department is corporate and they hired mercs or local businesses themselves hired themselves mercenaries.

And the first thing I roll is her edge/luck skill, which is one of her worst stats, to see if there are mercs in her immediate area. And the answer is no. And because she's a bleeding heart, she wants to get these people off the street because she's aware that they'll get beaten, arrested and/or murdered by the local cops if they're captured and it's really only a matter of time until they do. So if she fails tp help them, these people are probably doomed because very few people have any empathy at all for the homeless. But because she makes good dice rolls and they have negatives to their dice pool from starving and being injured, she succeeds.

After that, I throw an entitled tourist into the mix, whose "vacation is being ruined" by these starving people smelling bad and eating abandoned food in front of him. And for flavor, I make him a part of the quintessential Midwestern nuclear family on a holiday. So Julie has to roll etiquette again to defuse the problem before he calls the police, who will eventually come even though they're busy with the riot. She succeeds once again on a dice roll and she has a business, so she just throws vouchers for free medical care and lies on a con check that she actually doesn't own her business, because she pegs him correctly as a racist, and owning her own business would confuse and outrage him. So she claims that she is an employee at her own business and that these people are there for before and after pictures for medical treatment, because look at them, right? Look at how filthy and injured they are, idiot tourist. Obviously that needs to be monetized. And again it succeeds, and he goes from outraged to annoyed and confused and just sort of wanders away with his family.

And lastly, I roll bad on the edge/luck check. She has to deal with a heavily armed mercenary. Now if this was a cop they'd be primarily motivated by beating the poor to fulfill some bullshit metrics and/or because they like beating on the helpless. Mercenaries on the other hand are motivated primarily by money. Both the cops and the mercenaries can be bribed, but the mercenary is frank about it.

Julie attempts to bribe him like she would a cop, with oblique references to money. And the mercenary says, "loving pay me or you don't leave". Which is refreshing, if scary. So I roll negotiation, opposed by the merc because this is a shakedown. Julie fails, but the merc fails so hard that I trigger another luck roll using her luck as the general stat for the story. Because the city autonomously driven cars are malfunctioning (a plot point from earlier), a sleeping wageslave crashes into a nearby shop. And for fun, I rolled to see if they actually woke up because people work hellshifts every day and they did not wake up. Just fully unconscious, half in and half out of some bougie, boutique store. Tourists are running screaming inside of the shop. And technically the driver could've hit the brake, but who drives cars anymore? People don't drive cars. Cars are what you sleep in on the way to and from work. Cars drive themselves. Except when they don't.

The merc yells at her to stay right there, but she's not sticking around to get shaken down. She has a very quick conversation with these people who have just escaped a concentration camp for poor people and she says that she'll get them food, water, medical attention and she'll get them away from the cops. And they both agree. Julie gets bonuses because she is actually a medic and can actually patch up that bleeding foot and maybe take a look at the other's limp.

Finally, I roll her luck twice final to see if either of these people are actually a danger to her. And the answer is that they're actually pretty friendly once they're no longer being threatened. So that's not a time bomb that will go off in another update. Then I roll someone else's navigation skill to move around the ongoing riot, which they're moving towards because that's where their place of safety is, finally succeeding and exiting danger and not getting sucked into the riot.

---

So I rolled a bunch of dice and that encounter could have gone a bunch of different ways. The poor folks from the concentration camp might have run away if she failed. There might have been a mercenary there already, complicating the situation. The Midwestern tourist might not have been placated enough to wander away after being mildly offended by poor people eating in front of him. Julie might have gotten shaken down hard enough to lose quite a lot of money instead of just bribe money. And finally, the wageslave driver could have been awake and not crashed into the boutique.

And sometimes I post the storyboard with all of its dice rolls and sometimes I don't. The stats and dice inform the narrative, but hard numbers aren't in the narrative. All of that is just me quietly rolling dice in the background. It makes for really fun emergent gameplay where I'm not sure what's going to happen in the scene and because I'm rolling dice, they have a kind of wildness that lets me stretch the normal believably and bounds of fiction writing. Shadowrun dice are notoriously fickle. So when something really weird happens, that's the dice weighing in, which I never make explicit in the narrative. Sometimes I don't need to create cool moments. Sometimes they just emerge from how I interpret dice rolls. And sometimes cool moments that I planned fall flat in the face of them. Sometimes the cool is demanded not by me, but by the dice. Sometimes I have to get creative when the dice contradict my expectations and the scene ends up more fun as a result.

This scene feels very like Shadowrun without bullets flying around or people doing crimes or dragons breathing fire. This is a street level scene where everyone in this scene have their interests. Julie wants to help people and she's the only one there who's committed to doing the right thing. The people from the concentration camp want to escape and eat something because they're starving. The tourist is an entitled clown who wants to be catered to. The mercenary will do violence, but you can pay him not to. The driver of the car is exhausted and crashes his car because he's asleep at the wheel of his autonomous car. And the feeling of police is present as a force to be reckoned with, but they never show up. Bad things happen, but not because everyone is evil. Bad things happen because of selfishness and indifference to cruelty. Very few people will actually do evil for the sake of being evil and in my stories, those people stand out. Most people do bad or evil things because it's their job because I'm really into social systems and the banality of evil.

And that's the scene. Pretty much all of them play out something like that. Stats and dice rolls actually matter but they don't show up in the narrative. Some of the scenes are wholesome. Some are horrifying. Some are sweet because I used to write romance. And if you like cyberpunk fantasy or tabeltop games or teens beating up nazis or wholesome wlw romance, maybe come read my dumb passion project.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I caught up with Super Supportive including the two Patreon chapters. I think ten bucks is reasonable for ten extra chapters, though I might drop and re-add as my interest waxes and wanes. That's what I do for other web serials.

More importantly, Joe rules so hard.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wittgen posted:

I caught up with Super Supportive including the two Patreon chapters. I think ten bucks is reasonable for ten extra chapters, though I might drop and re-add as my interest waxes and wanes. That's what I do for other web serials.

More importantly, Joe rules so hard.

The latest chapter is certainly a hell of a thing.

edit: I actually hope Alden continues getting summoned fairly regularly, because I'll miss all this interaction with Artonans otherwise. I wonder how it'll balance "human Avowed politics" (which is obviously pretty complex in its own way, and we got a limited view into it with Alden's trip to the island where he made his class trade) with this sort of bigger-picture stuff.

One other thing that comes to mind is (this is spoilers from the latest Royal Road chapter, not Patreon, which is why I'm mentioning details at all) that we've seen the first "potentially useful in combat" application of Alden's ability. The scene of his recent training with Joe strongly implies that he can instantly stop and redirect the momentum of anything that hits him. Contrary to how it might seem at first, this likely *wouldn't* make him "bullet-proof," since it would still be subject to the "the item must be entrusted to him" limitation. But it could have some sort of support use, since Alden could basically stop and re-aim stuff that someone with that intention hits him with. At the very least, it means that another hero might not need to worry about their own projectiles hurting Alden, as long as they decide ahead of time that Alden can be entrusted with said projectiles (or whatever). You could probably do something like hit Alden with multiple "shots" of something, and then have him "fire" them all off at once in a different direction of his choosing.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 23, 2023

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
super supportive 40 (patreon): well everything went to complete poo poo in record time. It seems like chaos and demons are closer to a gamma ray burst than malevolent entities

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

A big flaming stink posted:

super supportive 40 (patreon): well everything went to complete poo poo in record time. It seems like chaos and demons are closer to a gamma ray burst than malevolent entities

Demon must be a word that refers to a really wide range of things, though. None of the poo poo show Alden is seeing seems like the kind of thing a consulate could get in trouble for consorting with.

I really liked Alden's move with the toys at the end. Clever and cute.

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

cyrn posted:

Slumrat Rising on RR is about as far along as Super Supportive (just out of the introductory arc) and extremely well written, although I kind of wish the author had chosen a less dystopian setting. The story so far is cyberpunk Forrest Gump with cultivation. Quite good but a bit too real to be escapist if that's what you are looking for.

I know - glass houses and stones - but I didn't like the big 'shakeup', or what the story's been doing since then.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ice Phisherman posted:

I'd say that the other writer off the top of my head who uses stats and dice would be Wildbow of the Worm series, but how much he uses them I have no idea. I have read that he decided who lives and who dies based off dice rolls but none of those rolls were visible so far as I know.

Also, I write Blake Island which is a Shadowrun CYOA. Hi. Link here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835049

LOTSA WORDS

That was cool, thank you for writing this up. Your backstory has been on my To Read list for quite a while; I promise I'll get around to it eventually!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

On the upside, he released 41 already

But now I just want to read 42! I'm genuinely curious how in the world this situation is going to be resolved. It's possible Joe might do something since it will be obvious something went wrong after a while (and he probably has access to the "chaos weather" information about the moon). Otherwise I'm not sure what they can reasonably do here, since none of Alden's abilities give him any real defense against this stuff (since it seems implied that it's bad for them to come into contact with magic, so he probably can't use his preservation to protect people from it).

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

One other thing that comes to mind is (this is spoilers from the latest Royal Road chapter, not Patreon, which is why I'm mentioning details at all) this likely *wouldn't* make him "bullet-proof," since it would still be subject to the "the item must be entrusted to him" limitation.

I would like to test that, because shooting someone with a gun is sortof entrusting that bullet to them, you are not expecting to get that bullet back, and infact are planning to leave it lodged in your target.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

On the upside, he released 41 already

But now I just want to read 42! I'm genuinely curious how in the world this situation is going to be resolved. It's possible Joe might do something since it will be obvious something went wrong after a while (and he probably has access to the "chaos weather" information about the moon). Otherwise I'm not sure what they can reasonably do here, since none of Alden's abilities give him any real defense against this stuff (since it seems implied that it's bad for them to come into contact with magic, so he probably can't use his preservation to protect people from it).

someone speculated that gloom (hannah's mom) might get called in to deal with this stuff since she basically has weather superpowers, but while i guess that makes comic book sense, i have a tough time justifying why the artonans would go so far to save a rookie avowed in a place he absolutely shouldnt be

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
TUTBAD 179: Well Verity went and accidentally created an entire person out of nothing, PLUS a new magic system to go along with her.

Plus horses, which I guess is neat.

No shortage of ethical implications here, especially since they planned to spread this kind of dungeon knowledge around.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

someone speculated that gloom (hannah's mom) might get called in to deal with this stuff since she basically has weather superpowers, but while i guess that makes comic book sense, i have a tough time justifying why the artonans would go so far to save a rookie avowed in a place he absolutely shouldnt be

Super Supportive 41 Well he can turn the putty into a weapon or Shield to deal with stray demons. About the way all of it is resolved i bet Joe calls in a few favours from his blackmailed kids to get a rescue going.

Affi fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
if you're doing redacted cia docs please say what you're tolkien about