Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Answers Me posted:

Oh that’s reassuring. Maybe I’m just infected by doomerism, but aren’t we massively on borrowed time with bird flu becoming a major catastrophe? I’m sure our overlords are on the case about that one, so nothing to worry about…

What really, really needs to happen is a significant amount of work being done on an effective avian flu vaccine. I would happily pay for it if it meant I didn’t need to lock up my chickens every winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

There's a public list of playgrounds in Dorset if you ever want to.

Thanks for the invite but I think I'll pass.

Although coincidentally I was looking at a music festival in Dorset earlier today, End of the Road, entirely because it's King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard's only UK show of the year, but there's not enough bands on the lineup that I'm into for me to justify it. Although the new King Giz is real good.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Last summer redux:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/may/19/soldiers-to-be-trained-to-check-passports-amid-uk-fears-of-summer-travel-chaos

quote:

Hundreds of soldiers and sailors are to be trained from Monday to cover striking Border Force guards, as ministers prepare for a potential summer of chaos at ports and airports, the Guardian can reveal.

In a move that unions say will diminish security at points of entry to the UK, members of the armed forces will be given five days’ training before checking passports at Heathrow, Gatwick and Dover.

Once deployed, the temporary staff in uniform will not have the powers to detain suspected drug dealers, terrorists or victims of trafficking, and will instead have to ask a fully trained Border Force staff member to do that.

The training, truncated to five days from three weeks given to Border Force guards, will begin as two unions consider strike action over pay and conditions.

I foresee a time coming when either the squaddies will finally put their feet down (or the generals do) about them being expected to cover: border force, train driving, train signalling, rubbish collection, surgical operations, fire fighters, drive buses, deliver post, drive HGVs, teach the yobbos in year 9, etc etc. instead of going off to fight bad guys in order to boost poll ratings for whichever govt is in trouble. How many only signed up for the skiing?

How much does all this cost compared with just giving a decent payrise?

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 19, 2023

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

That's not what it's really about.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Moral hazard. If the government improves someone's life they might get used to it

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
great things happening on r/soccer

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why on earth is there a reddit called r/soccer, the entire world calls it football except for the seppos

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Answers Me posted:

Oh that’s reassuring. Maybe I’m just infected by doomerism, but aren’t we massively on borrowed time with bird flu becoming a major catastrophe? I’m sure our overlords are on the case about that one, so nothing to worry about…

This is a bit hard to work out. Bird flu probably causes the most deaths in humans out of any animal-based influenza, but that's probably because people are far more likely to have poultry roaming freely around their homes than other animals that have flu. Apologies if your horse is reading this over your shoulder, of course.
Alongside this, the vast majority of reported deaths occur in rural areas of countries where good quality medical treatment is hard to access - either because of distance or cost. Therefore, someone accessing medical treatment who is found to have bird flu was probably quite unwell in the first place if they've been taken to a hospital or clinic. So it stands to reason that the death rate in people with confirmed bird flu is higher than with 'human flu'.
Human-to-human transmission of bird flu isn't very common, either. I recall that Egypt and China have always been quite proactive at contact tracing when bird flu is identified in a person, and if anyone, it's usually just one other person in the immediate household who's spent a lot of time looking after the infected person and is still largely asymptomatic. Basically, if people have access to running water and soap, it drastically cuts down the likelihood of human-to-human transmission, since the first human host almost always seems to shed the virus through secretions - which makes it a lot easier to manage.

So I probably wouldn't worry much about bird flu for now. It seems about as likely to cause a catastrophic viral outbreak as anything else, and there is - after all - a lot else :spooky:

[edit]
It always amuses me that a couple dozen people - at least - each year catch bubonic plague in the USA

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Why on earth is there a reddit called r/soccer, the entire world calls it football except for the seppos
From those comments I think it's because it's pronounced arse-occer, as in optical equipment where you put the viewfinder end up against a different hole.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Last summer redux:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/may/19/soldiers-to-be-trained-to-check-passports-amid-uk-fears-of-summer-travel-chaos

I foresee a time coming when either the squaddies will finally put their feet down (or the generals do) about them being expected to cover: border force, train driving, train signalling, rubbish collection, surgical operations, fire fighters, drive buses, deliver post, drive HGVs, teach the yobbos in year 9, etc etc. instead of going off to fight bad guys in order to boost poll ratings for whichever govt is in trouble. How many only signed up for the skiing?

considering there is an active war right now in europe you’d think they’d have better things to do with their time

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

In Ireland it's fluidly either soccer or football depending on the likelihood of GAA entering the chat at that moment

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

In my experience it's always football for the one played in the UK and gaelic for the GAA one.

I also don't particularly follow sport. Might be a factor.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

OwlFancier posted:

Every Seppo I know only ever says perkele and saatana.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Skull Servant posted:

In my experience it's always football for the one played in the UK and gaelic for the GAA one.

I also don't particularly follow sport. Might be a factor.

Nah, the more culchie you get, the more likely to hear "soccer" in my experience

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

History Comes Inside! posted:

And realised oh no me too I’m so loving old :smith:

Woah dude have you heard of this Liquid Tension Experiment? It's out there.

OwlFancier posted:

Well.. speaking of Seppos... the UK did a thing.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jel Shaker posted:

considering there is an active war right now in europe you’d think they’d have better things to do with their time

Exactly.

They should be training for the eventuality of being 'boots on the ground' (rather than Putin nukin' us.)

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

smellmycheese posted:

So it’s clearly now going to come out that all the big UK businesses and organisations are also hotbeds of groping and nonceing.

I run on the assumption they all are at all points. This information is only publicised when the correct people decide it needs to be.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

From those comments I think it's because it's pronounced arse-occer, as in optical equipment where you put the viewfinder end up against a different hole.
Arse lash soccer

Reddit was also made by merkins, it makes sense the sub would be called that.

E: arse lash, subs, I'm detecting a theme here.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

winegums posted:

I run on the assumption they all are at all points. This information is only publicised when the correct people decide it needs to be.

I think having that much more money than most of the people in your community, country and world fucks up a person - UK or not.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

A bit of local dystopia:
https://twitter.com/OkeyTimes/status/1659524208081223684

quote:

Terry Wheeler has been evicted from his home of 20 years in the town —with his political party blaming current law where tenants can be served notice for no reason.

The local mental health care worker was elected on May 4 to represent Tavistock North, one of four new Green councillors joining Lynn Daniel, Green councillor for South Tawton, who was re-elected to her South Tawton seat. However, he has now decided to resign from the council after less than a fortnight, after losing his home in the town. Shortly before the election he was served a no-fault — or Section 21 eviction notice — to leave the house he rents. Unable to find affordable housing in Tavistock, Cllr Wheeler is having to move his family out of the area.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Can you overboil piss?
Pan is running out too

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Arse lash soccer

Reddit was also made by merkins, it makes sense the sub would be called that.

E: arse lash, subs, I'm detecting a theme here.

Soccer was originally an English abbreviation of Association football, similar to rugger being an abbreviation of rugby football but for unknown reasons the word faded out in the UK in the 1960's and was replaced with football.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Marmaduke! posted:

And where!

I'd say this is evidence that he doesn't, at least doctrinally.

Anyway:

https://twitter.com/ManOnThe100/status/1659286664835919874

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

The local council election results in Northern Ireland have been coming in today but there's almost no coverage as all the BBC correspondents are on strike.

But it looks like Sinn Féin is well on its way to overtaking the DUP to become the largest party in councils as well as in the Assembly.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

wait so landlords can effectively just end a ton of politicians' careers at-will?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Well yeah, any of the non-landlordy-cunto types

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
lol if you do not just pocket your way into P———t

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Dabir posted:

wait so landlords can effectively just end a ton of politicians' careers at-will?
That’s why it’s important to elect more landlords if you want to protect tenant’s rights.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

Given how one person in the second picture spells "Labour", I think it's a sub for American fans of football.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
it's the largest football subreddit and it's got people from everywhere on it (largely the anglosphere as you might expect). most goals from live games get uploaded there pretty quickly.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

Given how one person in the second picture spells "Labour", I think it's a sub for American fans of football.
Or the country with a 'Labor Party' and a form of 'football' :australia:

Also while I'm making unnecessary sweeping generalizations likely to start sports arguments

Failed Imagineer posted:

the likelihood of GAA entering the chat at that moment

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 19, 2023

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

hurlings for curlings

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Guavanaut posted:

Or the country with a 'Labor Party' and a form of 'football' :australia:

Most Likely. Though Aussie rules is also a fantastic sport and I highly recommend understanding and watching it, because it's one of the best things on the planet if you enjoy live sport. When I was at uni we had American and Canadian exchange students come to Australia, and they all ended up leaving die hard footy fans.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 20, 2023

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The killer whales have had enough of our poo poo and have decided to take over

https://twitter.com/willrinehart/status/1659577200478224384?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Guavanaut posted:

Also while I'm making unnecessary sweeping generalizations likely to start sports arguments

Gaelic is great as long as I'm watching it and never, ever asked to play it again.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

smellmycheese posted:

https://twitter.com/willrinehart/status/1659577200478224384?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

(My last thought as the boat I'm on sinks.)
Christ, I don't want to die at the hands of Brain K. Vaughan's lovely ending to Y: The Last Man.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

smellmycheese posted:

Some buck eejit steered his wee fishing boat into a whale and now we're at war, grand

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

The local council election results in Northern Ireland have been coming in today but there's almost no coverage as all the BBC correspondents are on strike.

But it looks like Sinn Féin is well on its way to overtaking the DUP to become the largest party in councils as well as in the Assembly.

The race is on, will the DUP find themselves replaced by a resurgent UUP or a resurgent PUP? :v:

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
where do I sign up to fight the humans

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
UK government urgently looking into how to employ killer whales as part of their small boat strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

DesperateDan posted:

where do I sign up to fight the humans