Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Now I’m remembering AT&T’s “5G E” blatant false advertising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Verizon has 5500 repeaters inside Little Caesars Arena. I can pull 3GBps+ inside the building. It's kind of awesome.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

kingcobweb posted:

Now I’m remembering AT&T’s “5G E” blatant false advertising

This is also really really annoying lol.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

So, yes and no.

Didn't VZ also deploy 5G NR on their low/low-mid bands (850, 1900, 1700-2100) shared with LTE? It's not C-Band/MMW stuff but should be better than classic LTE.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

phongn posted:

Didn't VZ also deploy 5G NR on their low/low-mid bands (850, 1900, 1700-2100) shared with LTE? It's not C-Band/MMW stuff but should be better than classic LTE.

Verizon deployed 5G on the same 700 level as LTE yes. It’s 10-20% faster and probably handles a larger number of connections.

The 3G 1900ish level is an unknown, they just shut 3G down in January so I assume re purpose as 5G but I have not heard anything official.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Apparently the network icon actually does differentiate between 5G and 5GUWB!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

Apparently the network icon actually does differentiate between 5G and 5GUWB!

Yup, it just won’t tell you if it is C Bane UW or MM Wave UW.

It’s kind of mute point because it’s almost always C Band.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Well, these are certainly odd results.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have an iPhone 13 Pro and I'm spending 2 weeks in Spain and the UK this summer. I have a Do More Unlimited plan and have never used Travelpass so I have 16 days banked even though they're supposed to expire after 12 months?

My understanding is that Travelpass will automatically get used in 24 hour chunks. I don't plan on traveling internationally any time soon after but I'd prefer not to blow through all the days on this trip. My understanding is that if I disable cellular data in Control Center, I could still receive a text/call that would trigger the usage of a Travelpass day, and that I have to turn on airplane mode to avoid that and just use WiFi hotspots. Is that right? Can I prevent incoming calls/texts by turning off data roaming? Do I need to have to have data roaming on to use Travelpass? I've also heard that having WiFi calling enabled (which I normally do) can trigger Travelpass/roaming charges.

It seems like the best strategy is to turn off WiFi calling and keep the phone on airplane mode except when I know I'll need data while out and about?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
You need to have data roaming on to use data internationally, yes. If you send or receive a single call or text, that’s a travelpass day. Only way to avoid is airplane mode.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I tried a 5G phone a friend had, did a speed test. It was lower speed than my 4G LG phone. lol

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

redeyes posted:

I tried a 5G phone a friend had, did a speed test. It was lower speed than my 4G LG phone. lol

And there were times and places where 4G was slower than 3G. All that means is that you did a test with a 5G connection that was less than great, either the actual connection to the tower, or the backhaul from the tower.

Without a ton more detail this post is pretty meh.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

AlexDeGruven posted:

And there were times and places where 4G was slower than 3G. All that means is that you did a test with a 5G connection that was less than great, either the actual connection to the tower, or the backhaul from the tower.

Without a ton more detail this post is pretty meh.

It was the same physical place. Thats all I got. Small town too.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?
So I bought a Pixel 7a off Amazon...but apparently the IMEI's for the 7a's won't be into the Verizon System until Monday?

Edit: was able to connect to Verizon with the 7a after visiting a store they put a new sim in, not sure if that's how it's supposed to work but I will take the phone working.

Cozz fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 13, 2023

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cozz posted:

So I bought a Pixel 7a off Amazon...but apparently the IMEI's for the 7a's won't be into the Verizon System until Monday?

Edit: was able to connect to Verizon with the 7a after visiting a store they put a new sim in, not sure if that's how it's supposed to work but I will take the phone working.

Yeah just pop in the SIM as long as it’s the right radio bands you should be fine.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

You need to have data roaming on to use data internationally, yes. If you send or receive a single call or text, that’s a travelpass day. Only way to avoid is airplane mode.
If I'm using one of my Travelpass days in Spain or the UK this summer, would I incur international calling fees for a call to/from the US vs Spain vs UK? What about texting?

I expect my main use case to be data while traveling (Google Maps, Instagram, Discord) but I'm sure I'll also get random texts and/or calls.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

If I'm using one of my Travelpass days in Spain or the UK this summer, would I incur international calling fees for a call to/from the US vs Spain vs UK? What about texting?

I expect my main use case to be data while traveling (Google Maps, Instagram, Discord) but I'm sure I'll also get random texts and/or calls.

Call international and have them confirm and notate your account: (800) 711-8300

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I am on the 10 GB/mo plan. It has premium data, hotspots, and carryover data. I don’t use much data today because it’s not unlimited, so I usually have a decent “true” data cap. I have 2 discounts:

“Shared” account access level, 20% discount. I’m not actually sure what this is.

Autopay discount, 10%.

This brings my current bill to $57/mo, which is pretty good.

I’d kinda like to go to an unlimited plan so I don’t even have to worry about it — and also if I had unlimited I’d totally make use of it — but it looks like I’d lose some features and it wouldn’t necessarily be cost effective.

Is there a sensical way to do it and keep the discounts in place? It’s okay if the answer is no.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

crestfallen posted:

I am on the 10 GB/mo plan. It has premium data, hotspots, and carryover data. I don’t use much data today because it’s not unlimited, so I usually have a decent “true” data cap. I have 2 discounts:

“Shared” account access level, 20% discount. I’m not actually sure what this is.

Autopay discount, 10%.

This brings my current bill to $57/mo, which is pretty good.

I’d kinda like to go to an unlimited plan so I don’t even have to worry about it — and also if I had unlimited I’d totally make use of it — but it looks like I’d lose some features and it wouldn’t necessarily be cost effective.

Is there a sensical way to do it and keep the discounts in place? It’s okay if the answer is no.

Not for $57, so no.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

New Verizon plans on the horizon. Probably gonna need a rundown on if people should or shouldn’t switch. From what I’m seeing presently it would be a terrible idea for me to change from my 5G Get More plan.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Branch Nvidian posted:

New Verizon plans on the horizon. Probably gonna need a rundown on if people should or shouldn’t switch. From what I’m seeing presently it would be a terrible idea for me to change from my 5G Get More plan.

They stink

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah no kidding. Anyone with older plans should, at least for now, stay put unless you have some crazy add ons or whatever.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Shamelessly stolen from the Verizon subreddit:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dancing Peasant posted:

Thanks! Shamelessly added to the OP !

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
What does video streaming 480p mean? Do they throttle your data if you try to use YouTube in 720p?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Talorat posted:

What does video streaming 480p mean? Do they throttle your data if you try to use YouTube in 720p?
Yes

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dancing Peasant posted:

As someone with an Unlimited Do More and FIOS, this looks like it might actually be better? I lose the travel pass days but that won’t be a big loss.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Talorat posted:

Streaming video traffic is very easy for edge routers to classify and QoS even over HTTPS. This is because all streaming video data is bursty and refills the playback buffer at very regular intervals (every 3-5 seconds). You can see this by playing a YouTube video longer than 5 minutes and then right clicking and turning on "stats for nerds".

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
How much of a hassle is it to take an individual line that is currently on my plan, and move it to its own new and separate plan (wife and I have a plan that include her sister's phone, but sis wants to get on her own plan)? I tried asking about this in a Verizon store, who said that they couldn't do it for me and gave me the wrong number/department to call at Verizon, which feels like an ill omen.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

How much of a hassle is it to take an individual line that is currently on my plan, and move it to its own new and separate plan (wife and I have a plan that include her sister's phone, but sis wants to get on her own plan)? I tried asking about this in a Verizon store, who said that they couldn't do it for me and gave me the wrong number/department to call at Verizon, which feels like an ill omen.

Super easy. Call transfer your service at (888) 832-4540

Shouldn’t be an issue unless you currently have a promo.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Duckman2008 posted:

Super easy. Call transfer your service at (888) 832-4540

Shouldn’t be an issue unless you currently have a promo.

That was the number that they gave me at the store, but when I called it sounded like it was for adding a line to my account rather than removing it (Account Liability or something). I'll try again tomorrow.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
You're changing who is liable (responsible) for the bill.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

waffle iron posted:

Streaming video traffic is very easy for edge routers to classify and QoS even over HTTPS. This is because all streaming video data is bursty and refills the playback buffer at very regular intervals (every 3-5 seconds). You can see this by playing a YouTube video longer than 5 minutes and then right clicking and turning on "stats for nerds".

Thanks for the explanation! Good to know!

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Going from absolutely no service with 3 bars of LTE to 5G UW in a little over 6 months. Hell yeah!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So I've been having intermittent issues in the DC area where my service drops out completely. I'm going on vacation in about a week and a half - should I just be able to go into any corporate store and have them give me a new 5G-capable SIM with no issues other than the current busy-ness of the store and the time it takes to do it and run the test number to ensure everything works correctly?

Also, while I'm asking dumb questions, I'm currently on the "5G Get More" plan which I know comes with free TravelPass days. I finally managed to log in to my account details and I see I have 12 days available to me, which is helpful as I'm only going to be out of the country (just to Canada) for 13 days, and I'm leaving the country on the 13th day and should be fine on roaming. The app claims that it just automatically starts using the banked days so long as I don't have international service blocked - I have my phone set to "Global." Is that enough, or is there something else I need to set?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
It comes with Canada included, no travelpass needed

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

kingcobweb posted:

It comes with Canada included, no travelpass needed

I thought that was just talk and text - not high-speed data?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I thought that was just talk and text - not high-speed data?

Nah you get a decent amount of data every day. I didn’t even notice a difference between Canadian and US service.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

kingcobweb posted:

Nah you get a decent amount of data every day. I didn’t even notice a difference between Canadian and US service.

Yeah, as I recall you get 500MB of data per day before it knocks you down to 2G service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, as I recall you get 500MB of data per day before it knocks you down to 2G service.

Was 500mb, now it’s 2GB per day.