Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Organ Fiend posted:

More or less process or elimination.

The problem with that is we have not, and have no way to, eliminated the other possibilities so uh yeah.

poo poo we don’t even know if HBS wanted to make Battletech 2 at all. It’s not like they haven’t walked away from other IPs they were successful with before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

The problem with that is we have not, and have no way to, eliminated the other possibilities so uh yeah.

poo poo we don’t even know if HBS wanted to make Battletech 2 at all. It’s not like they haven’t walked away from other IPs they were successful with before.

:yeah: I'm no fan of PGI, but assigning them that sort of power over HBS is silly.

To hear it from Mitch Gitelman, dealing with MS over IPs like Shadowrun, Battletech, and Crimson Skies makes removing teeth without painkillers sound fun. As much as I'd like to see a version of MechWarrior 2 that functions on modern systems if the merger with Activision comes about, I know the odds of it or Starcraft being freed from the same financial documents as WoW and CoD are at best unlikely.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

pork never goes bad posted:

This feels pretty unfair to me. Chainclaw articulated their position and here is trying to summarize the difference, which is a difference in expectations. They don't say that it's wrong to expect steak, or that steak is bad, or that anyone is a dummy for expecting steak in the first place (though expecting to be able to turn the mechs heads is a head scratcher for me, that's for sure). Just that they had lower expectations and that's why they're happy enough with how things turned out. It doesn't read as dismissive to me, but as summarizing the difference in opinion in a way that lets people agree to disagree. Ultimately I think you're the one invalidating someone's opinions, and the clear minority party in a discussion at that.

I'm trying to draw a distinction between holding an opinion and having a discussion, if I was unclear on that my bad but let me reiterate: I don't dispute Chainclaw's (or anyone's) right to like mwo/mw5/pirhana/whatever. that's fine and good! There are things to like.

to take your steak example, I don't see evidence the majority here actually expected that out of PGI. 'summarizing' the situation that way is mischaracterizing it, imo. The rest of what I said follows - if you read that summary as incorrect, you can also see how it'd read as dismissive. I do not read any malice on claw's part here for liking something.

is it possible i'm wrong, yeah, sure, of course it is.

e: one day i'll learn to write sentences

Organ Fiend posted:

More or less process or elimination.

there's still too many unknowns to really make this claim. Out of the factors you or I know about publically, maybe PGI is the last one left ... but there's dozens of plausible reasons HBS could've passed, Paradox could've passed, Microsoft, etc, etc. Any kind of licensing is fraught with peril and can fall apart for the tiniest of reasons. And having done so once doesn't always make it easier when it comes time to renegotiate, either. sometimes it makes it worse!

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 19, 2023

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

This feels pretty unfair to me. Chainclaw articulated their position and here is trying to summarize the difference, which is a difference in expectations.

It was PGI's responsibility to manage those expectations. As I said myself: If PGI had honestly said "We're building an 8v8 or 12v12 team deathmatch game" I'd have been significantly happier with them because that's what they built.

That isn't what they claimed they were creating.

This is what PGI claimed they were creating:
MechWarrior Online lets players command at will: go head-to-head online alone or with friends in high-octane Conquest and VS modes. Band together and form your own Mercenary Corp, invite friends and battle other player-made Merc Corps for prestige and power. Pledge your allegiance to one of the five great houses and fight for control of precious Inner Sphere planets.

You will play a key role in a dynamic and ever-changing universe where player exploits impact the world around you and daily story updates and frequent content additions create epic changes to the Inner Sphere universe and its many inhabitants.

So when I blame PGI for overhyping their poo poo and setting bad expectations? That's why. :pgi:

though expecting to be able to turn the mechs heads is a head scratcher for me, that's for sure
It was about the 'Mech visuals and had nothing to do with expected articulation. The lack of necks gives the PGI 'Mechs a very hunched appearance which makes them look even wider than they already are. It's a personal dislike of some of their design choices even though their visuals are usually pretty good.

If I was getting really nitpicky I'd talk about how much I hated their two-thumbed hands.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 19, 2023

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Also getting mwo after we were given the mw5 announcement trailer wirh the warhammer fighting the atlas is just soul crushing

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

whammers are iconic and i wish i had any reason to field them at this point in my bta campaign

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

There's a lot more clan mechs now, including most of the ones that I remember as iconic (notably missing Warhawk and Kodiak, as well as some great lighter mechs. Though running 2 adders and 2 cougars in infiltration missions is great). My current main lance is a Blood Asp, Savage Wolf, King Crab, and rotating last slot to fit tonnage requirements. Often a Hellbringer or a Mad Dog. Check out Yet Another Clan Mech and the associated YAML mods to see the clan stuff that's there now. The Blood Asp, Stone Rhino, and Dire Wolf all have pretty good models. There's another modder who put in some decent mechs too, most recently the Hollander, with pretty great models. I dunno if it'll be enough for you but I'm still having a lot of fun.

I bought mw5 right before Rasalhague, played the original two campaigns unmodded and then imported my save into Rasalhague unmodded. That was, like, fine. I got everything except Rasalhague on sale and I feel like I got my money's worth but only barely, if that makes sense? But the modded game has really given it a new lease on life and I have put more hours in modded than unmodded in two careers now - (one starting at clan invasion time period to experience the new tech, the second starting earlier to do Kestrel Lancers and Rise of Rasalhague with slightly more varied but still mostly IS equipment going in). I really like the modded game.

This feels pretty unfair to me. Chainclaw articulated their position and here is trying to summarize the difference, which is a difference in expectations. They don't say that it's wrong to expect steak, or that steak is bad, or that anyone is a dummy for expecting steak in the first place (though expecting to be able to turn the mechs heads is a head scratcher for me, that's for sure). Just that they had lower expectations and that's why they're happy enough with how things turned out. It doesn't read as dismissive to me, but as summarizing the difference in opinion in a way that lets people agree to disagree. Ultimately I think you're the one invalidating someone's opinions, and the clear minority party in a discussion at that.

Is the clan invasion a mod or will it just happen eventually?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Chainclaw posted:

I feel like a lot of you were expecting fancy steak dinners from PGI when they brought fast food. I was fine with and wanted fast food.

To be fair to everyone else, they probably shouldn't have promised steak and then pulled a fast food switcheroo.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Organ Fiend posted:

This guy gets it.

Who did you play with? Anyone in NBT4 or UTS?

In MW3 I played with DHG on the MICROSOFT GAMING ZONE, in MW4 I bounced around a lot with a bunch of tiny clans because people kept getting poached to other clans to fill out teams for 8v8 and 12v12.

Captain Foo posted:

whammers are iconic and i wish i had any reason to field them at this point in my bta campaign

They're honestly pretty good, if not THE BEST MECH EVER. 70 tons is light enough that they can move decently and most of them have good hardpoint spreads. Rugged is kind of a useless quirk on the normal inner sphere models, but if you get lucky you can grab one of the clantech refits, which gives you a mech with inner sphere levels of armor but with the clan quirk which kicks a tremendous amount of rear end.

I frequently use them because the Warhammer is one of my absolute favorite designs.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It still amuses me at how the recent BT/MW games pussyfoot around in the Succession Wars (ie. the pre-Clan grog zone) when everyone knows the real classic era of Mechwarrior PC gaming, and the height of the IP's popularity, all involve the Clans.

Everyone knows that's where the real money was and that's why those mods are so popular, they're filling in the blatantly, extremely obvious demand that the modern games are trying not to draw attention to.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I think a lot of it was the idea that the franchise was so old that it needed a setting reboot, but not enough games have been getting made to actually make progress on the timeline.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Runa posted:

It still amuses me at how the recent BT/MW games pussyfoot around in the Succession Wars (ie. the pre-Clan grog zone) when everyone knows the real classic era of Mechwarrior PC gaming, and the height of the IP's popularity, all involve the Clans.

someone out there waging a decades-long campaign to make bracket builds popular, failing every time

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Ensign Expendable posted:

Is the clan invasion a mod or will it just happen eventually?

It's all in mods. I like the Yet Another Mechlab series of mods, mostly. I started with Baradul's steam collection from his recently started YouTube playthrough and have added Coyote's mission pack (it's not on Baradul's steam collection because it's only on NexusMods) and a few others that aren't so important. But between YAML and the associated mods, vonBiomes, and Coyotes it feels like a much better and bigger game.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Captain Foo posted:

Give them back their (awesome) vanilla quirk

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Psion posted:

I'm trying to draw a distinction between holding an opinion and having a discussion, if I was unclear on that my bad but let me reiterate: I don't dispute Chainclaw's (or anyone's) right to like mwo/mw5/pirhana/whatever. that's fine and good! There are things to like.

to take your steak example, I don't see evidence the majority here actually expected that out of PGI. 'summarizing' the situation that way is mischaracterizing it, imo. The rest of what I said follows - if you read that summary as incorrect, you can also see how it'd read as dismissive. I do not read any malice on claw's part here for liking something.

is it possible i'm wrong, yeah, sure, of course it is.

Idk, I feel like it's a pretty accurate metaphor. Some folks had higher expectations (mostly because PGI over promised - a few people have pointed this out and it's totally legit to feel this way) and some folks had lower expectations. Steak vs hamburger. I think you are objecting to what you consider reasonable expectations being characterized as steak? The whole steak/hamburger idiom is really well worn and expecting steak when you were told you'd get it is a totally fair thing to do.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

It's all in mods. I like the Yet Another Mechlab series of mods, mostly. I started with Baradul's steam collection from his recently started YouTube playthrough and have added Coyote's mission pack (it's not on Baradul's steam collection because it's only on NexusMods) and a few others that aren't so important. But between YAML and the associated mods, vonBiomes, and Coyotes it feels like a much better and bigger game.

Oh ok, I got YAML, Biomes, some kind of special effects, and the pilot overhaul. I'll get the rest of the mods I guess.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
It's probably just nostalgia speaking but I'd just really love to replay the MW3 botched invasion single player campaign. I loved that game.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Was it mw2 or mw3 that had you escape from a clan ambush in a hover rank? That mission ruled.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Roobanguy posted:

Was it mw2 or mw3 that had you escape from a clan ambush in a hover rank? That mission ruled.

MW2 Mercs. One of the early Clan Invasion missions involves you getting ambushed on a regular mission- you can either surrender or get shot out of your 'Mech, and then you steal a Pegasus to escape to a Mech park, at which point you either steal back your 'Mech or a Battlemaster to escape proper.

I accidentally got the second one, because I had the game muted and running in the background while I walked to the exfil nav point in the first mission... then tabbed back to find my 'Mech shot to poo poo...

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Captain Foo posted:

I just wish the bt engine was multithreaded or whatever the key problem is that makes it stutter on my machine that should handle it without blinking

Try turning off Vsync if it’s on.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Remember when PGI had too many ques for people to sign up for and then they added solaris 7 which added even more ques to the game.

Some how lovely japanese or chinese games can combine queues but they could not.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Remember when MWO had knock down mechanics until someone from PGI got bullied by goons knocking them down over and over again.

Remember when MWO had golden skins for whales, and the whales kept getting shot for having golden skins so much that they banned people who team killed them.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Third World Reagan posted:

Remember when MWO had knock down mechanics until someone from PGI got bullied by goons knocking them down over and over again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K2QF70H2hc

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Also just lol at their patch notes

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Oh ok, I got YAML, Biomes, some kind of special effects, and the pilot overhaul. I'll get the rest of the mods I guess.

YAML (well one of its dependent mods) is the one that adds the clan invasion.

There are two more mods that add it as well, MercTech (which is kinda garbage and not actually anything to do with RogueTech; if anything YAML includes a bunch of stuff from RogueTech in the "Yet Another Equipment Collection" plugin per the readme) and some standalone clan invasion thing.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 20, 2023

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lazyhound posted:

Try turning off Vsync if it’s on.

I will check this when i return to my computer

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Private Speech posted:

YAML (well one of its dependent mods) is the one that adds the clan invasion.

There are two more mods that add it as well, MercTech (which is kinda garbage and not actually anything to do with RogueTech; if anything YAML includes a bunch of stuff from RogueTech in the "Yet Another Equipment Collection" plugin per the readme) and some standalone clan invasion thing.

To be specific, Yet Another Clan Mech is the official YAML one, but the Mech roster for that does have a few notable Mechs MIA; it's a more curated mod so Mechs like the OG Mad Cat, Summoner, etc. aren't in quite yet because there's no good enough models of the PGI designs yet, either custom made or ported from MWO or work hasn't been finished to give them a varied enough list of variants, or getting all the weapons to show up properly on the model thanks to Omni slots and what not.

You can use the classic models mods for those to fill in if you want (either because you prefer them or don't mind them "clashing" with the PGI designs), the all together pack for those even has an option for YAML compatibility and keeping Clan mechs exclusive to the Clans, but keep in mind you'll often only get the one model of each, so you'll be stuck with their Prime configurations.

The standalone Clan Invasion needs YAML as well but it's more of a separate community anything goes compilation where they're trying to put in literally every Mech in the game. It's neat to have playable Mackies and even have the HBS Bull Shark show up, but the model quality can vary pretty wildly so it can be really hit-or-miss. Personally I just do the YACM/Classic combo because not having a Mad Cat just doesn't feel right.

As for MercTech, it's more of a "Hardcore" Realism/TT mod that overhauls the game in its entirety, but I never personally used it and it hasn't been updated in a year since the Call to Arms DLC came out, though they've been working on it and the next release is supposed to be a pretty big one from what I've read.

Warad fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 20, 2023

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
I can't hear all this griping over :pgi: as I my non-flying spaceship makes too much e-noise as I drag it across the TRANSVERSE.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

armchairyoda posted:

I can't hear all this griping over :pgi: as I my non-flying spaceship makes too much e-noise as I drag it across the TRANSVERSE.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Paingod556 posted:

Surprised nobody mentioned how they planned to put MWO on life support a decade ago, as they were moving on to their next big project.

Which was a StarCitizen clone so blatant, they stole art assets from SC for their not-actually-a-Kickstarter.

Then when they only got like a grand in pre-orders (out of an expected half a mil) they suddenly announced 'oh hey we're updating MWO again ignore that last post' and said that Clan 'Mechs were coming....

Basically PGI fell into a money pit when their simple in concept 'Mech arena shooter game got big due to the fanbase having nothing decent for 10 years, outside of the Living Legends mod. They got an easy windfall since the fanbase was happy to have anything with stompy 'Mechs, so even with the glitches and uninspired gameplay, it was good enough, and there was promise it'd follow the Wargaming route with clan battles (and Clan battles) and more game modes and maps all that good stuff.

We got that (mostly poorly implemented, hoo boy was the meta game a mess when it first dropped) but also changes that were questionable to the point of almost being purpose made to make things unfun. The big one was when they added the Highlander, and it turned out the anti-poptart feature didn't actually do anything (shaky aim while jumping, but once the jets are off you can snipe fine so) and then when people countered with the Hexstalker builds, we got Ghost Heat.

Game can be fun, I've sometimes joined mates who are big into it, and also MW5 (with the caveat that they run a ton of mods, including their own custom ones to make if playable and fun) But it's so much less than it could have been, purely from management decisions and some incompetent programming, like the many times they'd make a change that was good and cool, and then the next patch reversed by accident.

my favorite part about this is that they tried to moderate their own subreddit and got shadowbanned lol

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

This isn't really a defense of PGI, I think MWO is garbage and wasn't a fan of 5 until well into it's lifecycle (its fine enough now though, get mods) but it is extremely funny to me that this exact sort of conversation has repeated every time a new Mechwarrior has come out

Gettin real big genchat on the mektek forums about 3 vs 4 vibes right now

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Psycho Landlord posted:

This isn't really a defense of PGI, I think MWO is garbage and wasn't a fan of 5 until well into it's lifecycle (its fine enough now though, get mods) but it is extremely funny to me that this exact sort of conversation has repeated every time a new Mechwarrior has come out

Gettin real big genchat on the mektek forums about 3 vs 4 vibes right now

My first exposure to that was Multiplayer BattleTech 3025 and people complaining it wasn't as good as Multiplayer BattleTech: Solaris and EGA, but I missed the boat on Solaris and EGA. 3025 didn't last more than a few months before it was shut down, though.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Also for further context:

MechWarrior 2 was HUGE at the time. It released at least 36 versions as it was the showcase game that came free for those new-fangled GFX cards as it was a true 3D polygon based game. It was a different time and the market was far smaller, but it was a big deal (as were other sims) in the PC gaming ecosystem.

So when each iteration of MW/BT game came out, you'd have the same conversations about MW2 vs MW3, then 3 vs 4, and now we're here with MW5 vs everything previous.

I feel like what a MW game is keeps increasing in scope until it's just not deliverable for the budget it gets. I feel like the core audience wants a Sphere spanning procgen Merc career with +200 'Mechs, all the timeline events from 4SW to FCCW.

I'd like the next MW to maybe do something different. A smaller focused scope like the MW3 planetary invasion story. Maybe even just focusing on keeping your Lance combat capable and really dive into how each of your Lance's 'Mechs operate differently. Change up the formula from the procgen Merc stuff we've had for the last couple iterations. Something like original Brothers in Arms. I doubt it will ever happen though.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Amechwarrior posted:

I feel like the core audience wants a Sphere spanning procgen Merc career with +200 'Mechs, all the timeline events from 4SW to FCCW.

:hmmyes:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Amechwarrior posted:

I'd like the next MW to maybe do something different. A smaller focused scope like the MW3 planetary invasion story. Maybe even just focusing on keeping your Lance combat capable and really dive into how each of your Lance's 'Mechs operate differently. Change up the formula from the procgen Merc stuff we've had for the last couple iterations. Something like original Brothers in Arms. I doubt it will ever happen though.

I feel like this would be setting yourself up for a Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter situation where you end up with a good game that people don’t want.

As you say, the core fanbase really seems to want more more more. Why else would the Battletech ecosystem of massive expansion mods be so popular?

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 24, 2023

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
all i really want is a mod to make the load times shorter

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I really don't think you can make a Battletech/Mechwarrior game and escape the open ended career mode at this point; the expectation is baked in now. There's a reason why the most popular versions of 2 and 4 are the Mercenaries add-ons and why MW5 skipped the middle man and just launched as Mercenaries.

MW3 is really the odd man out for being the only game to not have an open-ended game mode.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 12:51 on May 24, 2023

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

With a dynamic enough engine you should be able to replay the events of previous games from the viewpoint of the new game

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I still can not get over how they made procedurally generate maps in MW5 but in such a way you can easily see the lines between the sections

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

When mechwarrior 6 releases and its exclusively dark age we will yearn for the days of tank horde, as the cycle continues