Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

from what i'm seeing, how does octavia's bass drop not instantly guarantee a goal if used in front of the goalie? it seems like an ult boosted version of X's entire kit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Futaba Anzu posted:

from what i'm seeing, how does octavia's bass drop not instantly guarantee a goal if used in front of the goalie? it seems like an ult boosted version of X's entire kit

It doesn't stunlock you so you can just pop your Q to not be stunned by hits 2 through 5 and use whatever goalie ability you have to get the ball away from there.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Octavia is amazing. Though I haven't played ranked since beta, I've just been doing the quick matches instead.

She's a "dribbler" in football/soccer terms, and she can just take the ball through multiple opponents. It's kinda op and I feel like she's doing the exact same thing that they just nerfed Asher for, but better than Asher ever did.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 16, 2023

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Octavia totally wrecks games Gold and below. If the devs aren't careful she's gonna be oppressive enough to drive away players.

Under no circumstances can you allow her to get Chronoboost and/or Cast To Last and/or Twin Drive. If you somehow fumbled enough that she got these you really need to focus on killing her every single time she's up.

I don't understand why they gave her uncapped infinitely-scaling speed. If it just reset off hitting the puck, sure, but it resets off hitting *anything*.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Yeah "infinitely" was funny to see in the notes, I don't think I've ever seen a game even claim that before. It's so weird. It obviously isn't infinite. Even if they coded it that way, computers don't work that way. So what is it?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't understand why they gave her uncapped infinitely-scaling speed. If it just reset off hitting the puck, sure, but it resets off hitting *anything*.

Considering the reveal trailer only specified it working on the core, I'm guessing that actually was the case and may have been changed fairly late in development.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Yeah "infinitely" was funny to see in the notes, I don't think I've ever seen a game even claim that before. It's so weird. It obviously isn't infinite. Even if they coded it that way, computers don't work that way. So what is it?

I think it's safe to assume it's "functionally" infinite - the cap is likely in the billions if not higher. Some value that could never realistically happen in a match even with players intentionally letting her sit there dribbling it for hours and hours.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 16, 2023

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

If there was a practise mode someone could bounce the puck against the wall over and over again and try to create a singularity in their CPU by reaching infinite speed.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Brendan Rodgers posted:

It stacks up to 4,294,967,295 times, if I had to guess.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Jack Trades posted:

It doesn't stunlock you so you can just pop your Q to not be stunned by hits 2 through 5 and use whatever goalie ability you have to get the ball away from there.

yeah but unless the goalie has an impassable terrain to hard counter her special then shouldn't the proceeding hits just bump it back into the goal instantly?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i'm not a big fan of this patch

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Octavia's biggest weakness seems to be the cooldown on her secondary - it's 16s, and doesn't start counting down until it wears off. If you can keep the puck away from her for a few seconds then it'll wear off quick and honestly there's not a lot she can do otherwise.

e: an Octavia's team can also be her worst enemy, if the other forward insists on trying to be the one always on the puck lmao - a teammate that fights her for strikes will really kneecap her.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 17, 2023

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I actually didn't have too much trouble with Octavia tonight, but Vyce was really annoying, its possible I was having latency issues but she's pretty consistently getting the kind of knockbacks I only see from fully geared out X's but with no indicator on the map and from halfway across the map. If she's on the opposing team on Ai.Mi's App I just basically get KO'd if I get touch the midline since she can knock me into the wall or the pit in the middle with me at full stagger from one hit. Pretty frustrating.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tulip posted:

I actually didn't have too much trouble with Octavia tonight, but Vyce was really annoying, its possible I was having latency issues but she's pretty consistently getting the kind of knockbacks I only see from fully geared out X's but with no indicator on the map and from halfway across the map. If she's on the opposing team on Ai.Mi's App I just basically get KO'd if I get touch the midline since she can knock me into the wall or the pit in the middle with me at full stagger from one hit. Pretty frustrating.

With a full charged special or...?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Jack Trades posted:

With a full charged special or...?

I don't know her kit at all, I was on full Era train tonight. I can see markers on the ground that she teleports to but she can teleport and then bounce me right into the wall outs faster I can strike, so if its fully charged can she charge it before teleporting?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Vyces knock back values are p insano nutty from what I played of her yeah

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I feel like every team I'm in has 3 types of players:

1) The person that never uses a power, only hits the core
2) the forward that sits on the goal instead of going forward
2) both of those

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Huh...I didn't realize that even character has their own theme and that it starts playing after every round depending on which character was the MVP.
https://youtu.be/lD95kqFFElM
Neat.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Codes for creator skins are in the video description:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMACfgwWqK0

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

God, I can't stand Juno.
90% of the matches I've played today were just Juno v Juno mass blob spam.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I think I actually need to stop playing until they do a patch that nerfs Vyce's knockback. Every match I've played with a Vyce, I've never seen them get less than 10 KOs. On matches where one team had Vyce and the other didn't, the majority of play time was in power play. I've never felt like anything in this game was actually an oppressive balance issue before but the only counterplay I've seen to Vyce is "have your own Vyce."

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/OdysseyStudio/status/1658938405441421313

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Neat. I'd prefer a more unambiguous message, like "leaver penalty in place for the next x minutes" or something instead of looking like its a bug message, but hey.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jack Trades posted:

God, I can't stand Juno.
90% of the matches I've played today were just Juno v Juno mass blob spam.

Juno went from a headache to almost trivial to deal with when I learned that the final* blob in the chain is the one that will actually take a shot at the goal: so if you see the blob chain starting up just sit tight and hold onto your Strike until the last one.

If the Juno is actually good she'll manually interrupt the chain using her passive, but she can only do that once anyway and you can reaction-strike it.

*: "final" also means "furthest left"

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Nerfs are live. Octavia nerfed by about 10% across the board, Vyce got cooldown nerf on her secondary and reduced time she can hold her Special.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
here's the specific notes

https://twitter.com/PlayOmega/status/1658984501995864068

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This game is generating some really good fanart.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Am I the only one who gets a bug at round 3 or so, where half of the sound effects stop playing until the next match? It's extremely disorienting.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Holy poo poo, I didn't realize that Energy Burst knocks enemies back.
I just accidentally KO'd 3 people with the same Energy Burst and then landed a goal.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Jack Trades posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't realize that Energy Burst knocks enemies back.
I just accidentally KO'd 3 people with the same Energy Burst and then landed a goal.

Haha yeah both the new heroes are really good at that too.

If you fail to kill the opponent on the flank when you take the ball down the flank on Octavia, with her ult and secondary, a lot of the time the low health opponent is then in the exact position for you to finish them with a Burst which you can also turn into a shot, which often makes the KO irrelevant tbh.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 19, 2023

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

The energy/burst system is in a good place I feel, because it's very powerful, but it's very easy to gently caress up, and when you do miss it, you lose your energy bar, it's a big commitment. You have to make sure you get value from it.

The game is far less predictable than it was in beta.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Brendan Rodgers posted:

The energy/burst system is in a good place I feel, because it's very powerful, but it's very easy to gently caress up, and when you do miss it, you lose your energy bar, it's a big commitment. You have to make sure you get value from it.

The game is far less predictable than it was in beta.

All the changes they made between the end of the Beta and 1.0 are really drat good.
The energy system solves a whole lot of problems and the new level up system is much more interesting than before.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
New to the game, just played a few quick matches. Any good vids or guides out there to actually learn the game? Right now I’m just swarming like a kids soccer game.

Also looking to team up with folks, FastestGunAlive#7015 on discord

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

NASL West qualifiers happening if anyone's interested: https://twitch.tv/kmdrtv

The player quality is... dubious, but I suppose that's what qualifiers are for in the first place.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Octavia's should be up soon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irp7G1N3Gkw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSyUwcG5JcI

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

FastestGunAlive posted:

New to the game, just played a few quick matches. Any good vids or guides out there to actually learn the game? Right now I’m just swarming like a kids soccer game.

Also looking to team up with folks, FastestGunAlive#7015 on discord

I don't really like video guides, but I'm bored and waiting and I figure I can write up some newbie tips. Note that I'm not like, good-good. I'm fairly casual and I found getting to Gold during beta pretty easy, I hit MVP more than 1/6th of the time, but I'm not exactly a top player by any stretch. Hopefully I can provide some useful tips.

1. Stop swarming the ball. A lot of soccer concepts carry over, even if you don't know a lot about what's peculiar to OS. Most notably possession and controlling space. When you stack up on top of your teammates this is forfeiting space. Unlike IRL, where the nature of the electromagnetic force makes it physically impossible to get more than a certain proximity to your teammates, there are in fact some reasons why you'd want to, but they should not be your default. Your default should be to try and be in a position where you are accomplishing something that nobody else on your team is. There's only 3 people on the team, and 1 of those people really should be inside the goal area, so that leaves the remaining like 80% of the map to be covered by two people.

In particular, do not swarm in the goal area!! From the goalie's perspective, this is almost always worse than you being dead. Two people in the goal area isn't two goalies, its generously half a goalie. The biggest reason for this is that the goal doesn't want to just stop the core from getting into the net, they want to get the core across the midfield, which is MUCH easier if they have people to pass to. But on top of that, a second person trying to defend messes up strike timing (causing a LOT of blown cooldowns) and makes it harder for the goalie to predict and control where the core is going to go.

The main exception to that goalie wisdom, and relatedly why you might want to stack up with the other forward, is to beat the poo poo out of opposing forwards. When goalies are being hard camped by a forward, its often a good idea to start harassing the forward. Like: you have an a Kai as goalie on your team, and there's an opposing Dubu basically sitting right outside the goal. Actually securing KOs is not necessary, but it IS great if you can do it. Simply putting pressure on people that can lead to KOs starts to constrain their movement significantly and effectively controls a lot of space. Which segues neatly into

2. Learn to figure out when your opponents are out for blood. You can typically figure this one out pretty fast, like often within the first minute, though sometimes its not quite clear until 2 minutes in (most often because specials don't become castable until level 2, so people might just try to get to level 2 before they bother). Even just knowing the opposing team comp can tell you this pretty fast. Notably Vyce, Juliette, and X are trying to kill you. Not even really a question of strategy, those characters are there to kill people and if they're not posing much of a KO threat its because the player is loving up. Era is probably the least kill-y character, but I've gotten a lot of double KO's with her so, y'know, forewarned.

Anyway, once you figure out how deadly the opposing team is, that changes how you move around the arena pretty significantly. A kind of famously obvious one is that on Oni Village, you move faster along the edges. If your opponent is good at killing, this is a great way to die a lot, but if they're not hunting heads, you can spend a lot of time on the speed strips pretty safely, which is great. And on the other hand, teams that are really focused on KOs can often be juked pretty heavily. Abilities spent knocking heads are not being spent knocking the core, and time spent chasing down a forward is not time spent shooting or passing the core, its making a lot of sacrifices on possession. 90% of the battle here though is identifying that you're up against a kill-team vs an objectives team.

3. Figure out how much you wanna kill the opposing team. This is mostly a decision you make before the map lands, if nothing else I find it hard to "switch gears" between kill mode vs not so much kill mode. Other people in this thread have talked about killing better than me:

CodfishCartographer posted:

Varies depending on the striker of course, and some are more suited to it than others. When I'm feeling like murdering fools I usually go with Juliette, since she can burst people down FAST with a full combo. Asher forward is another good option, and I see X and Dreikar players playing similarly. When it comes to playstyle, it's more about looking for opportunities and applying pressure - if you can't actively help hit the puck at the moment and don't think you'll immediately need one of your skills to save/score, then may as well use them to soften up some enemy targets. Better if you can hit the puck in the process. One of the enemy forwards being problematic? Start bullying them! If anyone's low on health (or full-on staggered) then they can't risk going anywhere near the edges of the arena if you're nearby, so you can use that to force openings to score through - either they leave the top open and you can push forward, or they move up to close the gap and then you knock em out.

If nothing else, you can mostly play as though you aren't going for kills, but then when you notice someone low / staggered you can opportunistically take a quick moment to try and secure a kill if they wander near an edge and you're close by.

For my part, I tend to try and focus on controlling space, tempo, and core above all else. The more time my team spends with possession of the core on the opposing side, the more good shots we get in, the more we score. This means very little time on killing. There's honestly more strategic decisions that go into this (the people I play with most often like Estelle and Kai, so the entire team tends to be all "long range" meaning that we can support each other and confirm goals from annoyingly far away, creating just a general strategy of being very spread out and applying constant confusing pressure), but "how killy do I want to be" is a good start point!

4. Be jealous of possession. Shooting the core straight down the center of the map isn't the worst choice, but you often have better choices. If you're goalie prioritize just getting it the gently caress away from your goal (and not just in terms of distance: you want your opponents to have to waste time getting it back to you!), if you're forward this means keeping the core moving forward without passing to the opposing forwards, which can mean some very dug in bounce shots to keep it in your team's hands. The best place to shoot the core is into your opponent's goal, the 2nd best place is to a teammate, the 3rd best place is "just generally downfield," there is no 4th place.

Aim at corners a lot. I edited this from the steam page:

If you bounce the core off that green corner, its basically always going to go into the net, and if you hit the part in hot pink it's basically going to go away from the goal. Especially useful if you're goalie, if you shoot the core straight up/down against the bevel (green) corners, the core is then going to bounce basically 90 degrees and travel straight parallel to the edge, very likely getting deep into the opponents side before stopping (or, sometimes comically, bouncing off both their bevels and back into your side, but that's a problem for later you). What all this ads up to is that while the shortest shot is often the best shot, a lot of the game is knowing when to trick shot around people by taking deeper angles off the shot you really want, billiards style.

So in summary: the goal is to get goals faster than your opponent. More shots means more pulls on the lottery ticket, more possession means more shots, more tempo means more possession, more spatial control means more tempo. Keeping yourself open controls space, KOs and blocking deny the opponent spatial control.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Something I think I should add to my earlier advice about killing: don't get tunnel vision. A common mistake I see is that when players get a few kills, they go super bloodthirsty and focus more on murdering than scoring. Killing the opponents isn't the win condition, scoring goals is! Knocking enemies out is just a means to that end - it creates a numbers advantage for a short period of time to make it easier for your team to score. If you kill an enemy and then spend the next 12 seconds trying to kill another enemy, you're just waffling around doing nothing at best, giving the opponent more opportunities to score at worst. I had a game as goalie the other night where our forwards got a double kill, and the enemy's goal was open. Easy win, right? Well the enemy goalie was pretty strong (and Dubu) and the forwards were more concerned with trying to kill him than actually score on him, and eventually both the enemies respawned and then scored on us.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm going to push back against "just hit the core downfield" advice. Obviously you want to move it toward the opposing goal, but it can often be advantageous to "dribble" it against the wall or obstacles while doing so, rather than just smacking it vaguely in the direction of the enemy goal. The big advantage here is it makes your shots and passes much less predictable while keeping the core in your posession. You can bait abilities or strikes this way and it makes it easier to scope out openings.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's a loving nightmare every time one of my teammates passes the ball to the opponents.
If you're close enough to possibly score with that shot, sure, but if there's no chance that you might score and you're kicking the ball towards the enemy then you're just giving our ball to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Other half's out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLGkCPjjE4k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_l3TSuhEVM