Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

teethgrinder posted:

Some people also hate Hardspace because it has a union story. Caveat emptor.

It's not an interesting union story though and I don't think you could skip it either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

The new Starship Troopers game is actually getting pretty good reviews on steam. I guess the systems really work out in motion? For 25 bucks I'll probably pick it up.

Yeah! It's a really cool game. I have a really hard stance on not buying early access, and I broke that rule for this game and don't regret it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Runa posted:

Deceive Inc. is an extraction shooter that doesn't have those meta mechanics like buying loadouts or punishing your account for dying so you can absolutely afford to just say gently caress It We Ball in that game.

What actually is this game? Visually it looks like team fortress 2, it has some prop hunt mechanics, it is labelled as an extraction shooter, and the trailer on youtube doesnt explain any of it.

I'm interested because it has XBOX/PC crossplay and my friends and I have been looking for a prop hunt game that we can play together (me on PC, them on xbox)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Countblanc posted:

It's not an interesting union story though and I don't think you could skip it either
this was the problem. it was inoffensive plot-wise but much of it is delivered in the absolute worst way possible: unskippable dialog with nothing to really do or look at until it finishes

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

CuddleCryptid posted:

The new Starship Troopers game is actually getting pretty good reviews on steam. I guess the systems really work out in motion? For 25 bucks I'll probably pick it up.

The real trick will be if they can consistently still have full 16 player servers a year later cause I feel like this game is going to be rough with anything less than 10 players.

I really hope that they eventually add ai squad mates that can also build up defenses.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Deakul posted:

The real trick will be if they can consistently still have full 16 player servers a year later cause I feel like this game is going to be rough with anything less than 10 players.

I really hope that they eventually add ai squad mates that can also build up defenses.

Yeah that's the issue with most co-op shooters, although with games like this you can usually collapse even a small player base into a handful of servers without too many issues. Worst case you could cut the server size in half and dynamically scale enemy spawns and resources based on who is there.

It is funny that it's made by the people who made SQUAD, what a pedigree to shift to a game like this. But between the IP and the seemingly good gameplay it will probably do fine.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Can anyone recommend a game like Tyrian 2000 or Raptor: Call Of The Shadows?
I'm talking about a shoot 'em up where you keep the gear you've bought with credits, allowing you to customize your ship and upgrade it as you see fit.
Jets'n'Guns is a good example of the kind of thing I'm looking for, it is quite fun but it doesn't quite scratch that itch, you dig?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Mighty Moltres posted:

I'm talking about a shoot 'em up where you keep the gear you've bought with credits, allowing you to customize your ship and upgrade it as you see fit.
Jets'n'Guns is a good example of the kind of thing I'm looking for, it is quite fun but it doesn't quite scratch that itch, you dig?

None of these are quite the same style of sidescrolling career shmup, but they might scratch a similar itch:

Drainus
Jet Lancer
Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages
The Void Rains Upon Her Heart

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I find most shmups to be very uninteresting but Drainus is so loving good.
I started playing it and didn't stop until I 1CC'd the arcade mode.

Unfortunately haven't been able to find any other shmup as interesting as it since.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ciaphas posted:

this was the problem. it was inoffensive plot-wise but much of it is delivered in the absolute worst way possible: unskippable dialog with nothing to really do or look at until it finishes

Also it came out roughly around the same time that multiple other games were doing a "btw the joke is that capitalism sucks" story.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

did capitalism stop sucking while I wasn't looking

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

The game is literally a podcast game and they have a "podcast" in the game but they didn't allow you to do both at the same time. That's the stupidest loving thing ever.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Countblanc posted:

There are some interesting beats to the overall story due to the nature of the setting, like how the innately deadly nature of the work means that getting cloned when you inevitably die is part of your benefit plan, and if you don't toe the company line then they could just decide to not clone you next time. But that kind of thing was pushed back by the presentation and laughably evil corpo scum, who sound like they were hatched out of an egg that morning.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think I'm done with Rogue Legacy 2. The game plays great and I was a having a blast with it for a while, but it's hard in a way that I'm not really enjoying anymore. Just feels like an absolute grind compared to other popular roguelites I've played recently.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I feel like I should probably pick up Starship Troopers if Killing Floor is one of my favorite games of all time.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Deakul posted:

It probably is best to think of it as dropping money on something to last you until you burn out on it after a month and forget it/wait for expansion. I'll probably get it after seeing some videos to get my EDF fix. I'll finally get to use my headphones again.

This is a bad comparison to Earth Defense Force 6:

They are going to give it a price hike later and Earth Defense Force 6 will be out in several months (estimate late August/September). The games may play out very differently, but EDF series can be done solo and has tons of maps, without needing the mission packs.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Hwurmp posted:

did capitalism stop sucking while I wasn't looking

It's not that the message is irrelevant, it's that few to no games have handled it well and the whole reason I'm playing games in the first place is to try and escape from capitalistic hellworld.

Also emphasis on "joke" because it always swings back to trying to make a laugh out of it except capitalism has exceeded the point where you can effectively parody it.

Edit: Also like I said that last time I bought this up, it's less that any one game has been total poo poo about it and more that multiple all showed up at around the same time with largely the same tepid take and it pushes me away from them collectively.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 19, 2023

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Hwurmp posted:

None of these are quite the same style of sidescrolling career shmup, but they might scratch a similar itch:

Drainus
Jet Lancer
Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages
The Void Rains Upon Her Heart

This certainly scratches my drainus

I really need lotion

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Super Hydorah doesn't have weapon purchasing, but you do unlock new weapons for each completed mission and get to mix and match them freely later, similar to the euroshmup genre

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1473760/Beyond_the_Storm/

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8bg9coF6AA

It looks like the Last of Us Part 1 has had many of its most serious issues fixed. But its still an inferior experience to the PS5 version.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/luck-draw-roguelike-deckbuilders?partner=nintendeal

Luck of the draw: Roguelike Deckbuilding bundle
$8/$12/$20 tiers

quote:

Fights in tight spaces
Beneath Oresa
Alina of the Arena
Tainted Grail:Conquest
Chrono Ark
Luck Be a landlord tonight
Dicey Dungeons

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

anyone play beneath oresa? i havent heard of that one

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Awesome! posted:

anyone play beneath oresa? i havent heard of that one

A friend of mine gifted me a copy, it's a cool concept and the art is neat but it felt very early access last time I checked in on it which was admittedly I think before this latest patch. The gameplay seemed alright but it really felt like nothing was done in between battles. I've uninstalled it, probably won't bother with it until it leaves early access because I wasn't super enamored with my time with it.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Metro: Last Light Complete Edition is free on Steam right now fwiw. Exodus is $7.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/43160/Metro_Last_Light_Complete_Edition/

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

This CYO Bundle has a lot of great picks, including Arkane's last great game, Prey:

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/prestige-collection-build-your-own-bundle

Also of note are Symphony of War, Grime, Gordian Quest, Wasteland 3.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Just gonna throw this advice out there for devs: sometimes being self-deprecating works, and it can parlay into a joke, or lighten the mood and let you gripe a little. I get it. I'll take shots at myself for a cheap laugh here and there.

But sometimes you write an entire newspost and push the concept a liiiiiiiittle too far and it leaves me going "Do you have nobody to talk to, who could have pulled you back from this?"

quote:

Simple And Clean! No More Story! Literal Months Of Work Removed! :D

Sayonara Storyline

That's right folks! Influent's story is finally dead! Let's face it, it was garbage to begin with. I don't know who came up with all that nonsense but it definitely wasn't me. Okay maybe it was me but I promise it was going somewhere until in 2013 when the くそ hit the fan and development screeched to a halt.

What happened you might ask? There's a great quote by John Lennon about how life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. So yeah, it never got finished and I'm I'm sorry to anyone who liked it but it's gone now. Maybe I'll rewrite it someday, who knows!

Adios Chat Events
I spent months developing a chat system so the characters could talk to each other in-game like an RPG kinda thing but it turned out to be a lot of slow-paced clutter and people have complained heaps so that's almost completely gone now! I'm sorry I ever programmed it into existence. That's just me apologizing to myself for wasting months of time. It's cool, everything's fine. I'm not crying. Why would I be crying?

Ciao Tutorial
Yeah I guess it might have helped a few people and I'm sure it might leave some in the dark without it but ultimately, Influent is a pretty straightforward experience with a whole world wide web out there where other players can answer questions. That's you right? I'm looking at you! Either way, I'm happy to field questions on the discord and on the Steam forums if anyone ever gets lost or confused. The game just dumps you right into it now. Sink or swim! I hope you swim.

Also I'll probably bring back the FPS mode someday soon, I know you want it back.

<3 Rob @ Three Flip Studios

PS - The game is also a lot cheaper now! Tell your friends!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

GrandpaPants posted:

This CYO Bundle has a lot of great picks, including Arkane's last great game, Prey:

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/prestige-collection-build-your-own-bundle

Pumpkin Jack is a very nice 3D platformer if you're looking for that sort of thing.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

geez this is a killer one to close out bundlefest. Grime is great, Prey is great, Bug Fables is great, Wytchwood is great, there's Apico, and Symphony of War, and KeyWe, and Skyrim... drat. Phoenotopia Awakening is alright too as a Zelda 2 style game, although it's an absolutely massive game and for some people that was a turn-off.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah, that's kind of a drag

Though I wouldn't mind if they just left the team meetings unskippable

Easy way to make management less likeable, eh

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

GrandpaPants posted:

Wow, nice stuff! Most likely gonna pick this up for Grime and Phoenotopia (if anyone has some opinions on those besides 'they good' lemme know)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

GrandpaPants posted:

There is The Saints Row The Third The Remastered. Has all 30+ DLC.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Beve Stuscemi posted:

What actually is this game? Visually it looks like team fortress 2, it has some prop hunt mechanics, it is labelled as an extraction shooter, and the trailer on youtube doesnt explain any of it.

I'm interested because it has XBOX/PC crossplay and my friends and I have been looking for a prop hunt game that we can play together (me on PC, them on xbox)

It is pretty much a straight on a spy-themed extraction hero shooter with a few clever touches that make it a little harder to figure out whether someone is a player in disguise or not. Cleverly, when in disguise as an npc, your model will appear to only face in the direction you're actually moving, so you can strafe or walk backwards to scope an area or check for tails without revealing that you're actually moving your mouse around extremely like a player.

Unfortunately it isn't a straight prop hunt game. The prop hunt stuff is from an early unlockable gadget you can get after a couple of hours of play. It is very funny to actually use.

As to what extraction shooter means, that's basically Hunt Showdown and Tarkov. If you're not familiar with either, it's a subgenre of battle royale where the goal isn't to be the last player/team standing (though that is a valid way to win), but rather to get your objective and then successfully escape. DI is pretty much straight on an example of this though a lot more casual friendly than either. Instead of purchasing and managing loadouts you just pick a hero and go.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Runa posted:

It is pretty much a straight on a spy-themed extraction hero shooter with a few clever touches that make it a little harder to figure out whether someone is a player in disguise or not. Cleverly, when in disguise as an npc, your model will appear to only face in the direction you're actually moving, so you can strafe or walk backwards to scope an area or check for tails without revealing that you're actually moving your mouse around extremely like a player.

Unfortunately it isn't a straight prop hunt game. The prop hunt stuff is from an early unlockable gadget you can get after a couple of hours of play. It is very funny to actually use.

As to what extraction shooter means, that's basically Hunt Showdown and Tarkov. If you're not familiar with either, it's a subgenre of battle royale where the goal isn't to be the last player/team standing (though that is a valid way to win), but rather to get your objective and then successfully escape. DI is pretty much straight on an example of this though a lot more casual friendly than either. Instead of purchasing and managing loadouts you just pick a hero and go.

I looked into this and I'm kind of surprised to see it compared to something like Hunt. Its an extraction shooter, but from what I've seen from videos the subterfuge stuff is somewhat hamstrung by the TTK being so high. In something like The Ship you'd shoot someone and they'd die pretty fast, which is counterbalanced by the the deception system. In Hunt its a stealth game because two shots from basically anything will kill you. For Decieve Inc. it seems like deceiving and stealth is more to just get a drop on people, and when the gunfight starts it goes into bunny hopping and holding down the trigger.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Just to add on to the above -

If you are looking to play with friends, there are two modes: alone or with teams of 3 (or less if you are a masochist) - filled into games of up to 12 players. Solo and Teams is a -very- different experience, and will often reward a very different playstyle.

There are currently 8 different spies to pick from, where each spy has 3 variants of a weapon, 3 variants of a special ability, and 3 variants of a passive power - all unlocked by playing that spy to level them up. Unlocks are sidegrades and specializations rather than straight improvements.

Some spies are geared more towards combat, some are more about evasion and escape, others are more about survivability and recovery - there's a good amount of options, further augmented by the equipment you take.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I looked into this and I'm kind of surprised to see it compared to something like Hunt. Its an extraction shooter, but from what I've seen from videos the subterfuge stuff is somewhat hamstrung by the TTK being so high. In something like The Ship you'd shoot someone and they'd die pretty fast, which is counterbalanced by the the deception system. In Hunt its a stealth game because two shots from basically anything will kill you. For Decieve Inc. it seems like deceiving and stealth is more to just get a drop on people, and when the gunfight starts it goes into bunny hopping and holding down the trigger.

Yes and no. In team games, things tend to devolve into a straight up shootout until there's 1 person left, who then usually tries to flee - leaving the other team to camp bodies (and get ambushed by one of the other teams in the game). In solo, your incentives to get away are FAR higher unless you are playing one of the combat specialists, or you really get the drop on someone. There are a lot of ways to bamboozle. Teams is definitely more combat-focused, though, where solo leaves far more room for you to shenanigan - or be aggressive - if you wish, but the risk is far higher.

Like for me personally, when I play solos, I play a character that specializes in escaping once being found - and then I just sprint through the early objectives. My goal is always to get to the objective first, stealth be damned. Very often, someone discovering me will get a few shots in - but I can escape, and more often than not, a third or fourth party will end up fighting the first person - and that's exactly what I want. I want to stir up poo poo for other people to deal with. This is especially the case the last stage when you have to escape with the objective - herding enemy players into one another so that they fight while you make a getaway.
Other folks might play a flawlessly disguised spy the whole game and never get discovered - but they will probably not be the first to the objective doing so - at which point all of that stealth goes out the window (since the objective lets you scan for enemies for a limited time).

It's the same way that I kind of throw stealth to the wayside when I play Hunt. I sprint everywhere and shoot everything - because it doesn't matter how quiet you were the moment you take your first shot: stealth time is over. And unless you land that headshot outright, or really got a perfect ambush position, the fight that follows is going to be decided by shooting, not sneaking - which is where I do best.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 19, 2023

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah, every match of the game I’ve watched inevitably devolved into an open shootout between most of the teams at once, but it’s possible that’s a low-skill lobby thing like kids swarming around the soccer ball and goes away at higher MMR

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Owl Inspector posted:

Yeah, every match of the game I’ve watched inevitably devolved into an open shootout between most of the teams at once, but it’s possible that’s a low-skill lobby thing like kids swarming around the soccer ball and goes away at higher MMR

This really depends on the teams, and especially the stage of the game. Early on, people will dogpile fights to try and get teams eliminated. If it's end game escape time, they are FAR more likely to try and be elusive, where escaping is an instant win vs trying to kill everyone else.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh yeah TTK in Deceive Inc is much higher than those other games so when the shooting starts it will devolve into a lot of frantic bunny hopping and skill popping. When disguises drop it's very chaotic, especially in team queue rather than solo. It's also potentially very funny if you're inclined to think up shenanigans on the fly.

Some characters handle fights differently though. Chavez is just straight up good at slugfests since his default primary skill makes him invincible. Ace is a sniper but her rifles are pretty decent at body shots so she'll never bunny hop in a fight but you'd better be good at either hopping yourself or getting out of her LOS. Larcin has a mediocre pistol but if you empty his mag he'll throw his gun for extra damage. And his default primary skill both turns him invisible and invincible while making him unable to attack, meaning he's very slippery when he wants to be and that synergizes well with the prop hunt gadget. He's also the potential pickpocket-while-stealth character, so if you're interested in peak shenanigans Larcin's your man.

The real thing that gets me in this game is, how excellent the music is.

Matches are structured in three phases: Insertion, Infiltration, and Extraction. And the OST changes for each one. In the Insertion phase, players need to find and disable three Vault Terminals in order to unlock the Vault, and thus objective package, proper. And during this phase, the bgm starts off silent or nearly so. But everytime someone hits a terminal, a new instrument gets added to the Insertion theme to increase the tension and anticipation. When all three Vault Terminals are hit, they become they combine to become the Infiltration theme and it feels like a window of opportunity has just opened, and someone just needs to take the first step and grab it.

When someone actually does grab it, it switches to Extraction. Usually when I play, another player does it, as that's usually how the math plays out. So the bgm has some faint sirens kicking in to indicate the package has been claimed, and that segues into some of the best high-anticipation funky spy pursuit music I've ever heard.

It really sells the idea that it's time to intercept the player with the package and feel great while doing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw35qbtBVyQ (I've gushed about this before, but it's quite relevant)

And there's different themes that kick in if you're the one holding the package and when you're waiting for your extraction vehicle (it's a flying spy car), though obviously in that situation I'm paying more attention to my surroundings than the music.

The game has a ton of personality. Though also it's really rough around the edges on a technical level, latest patch is giving people headaches with EAC, and as a bunch of DbD content creators took a break from that game to play this one for a while I think they're currently suffering a bit from a brief window of success beyond their expectations atm.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I've been playing Deceive with some friends and while I *like* it I do kinda find it gets less interesting when the guns come out. The combat design just isn't all that great, nowhere near the level of Hunt's. Plus I've found that some teams just start going full aggro without engaging with the spy mechanics and the game often rewards them for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I think they are trying to tune this with the HEAT mechanic - where wanton murder of civilians is supposed to have growing repercussions (damage taken from Guards) - but it isn't quite there yet.