Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I think it would be easier for them to just reset them back to zero so they could be EV trained/bottle capped as needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There are some cool Pokes from Legends that would be nice to have (Wyrdeer, Ursaluna, Basculegion). Hisuian Liligant is cool too, it gets a physical version of Quiver Dance as well as Defog.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Zuzie posted:

I think it would be easier for them to just reset them back to zero so they could be EV trained/bottle capped as needed.

They could have done this for gen 2 -> 3 but lolmao gotta sell 4 more sets of games to get your Johto pals back

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Hammerite posted:

If a pokemon comes to SV from another non-legends game then it will no doubt keep its EVs from the origin game, but it remains to be seen what its EVs will be if it comes directly from PLA. They might be zero, or they might be initialized based on the grit levels. There are a lot of ways they could potentially do it. I'm assuming Legends itself doesn't set them, which I don't actually know.

The EVs will likely be random and jumbled.

Grit level is actually an entirely separate value that's kept track of. It's not EVs. It's like awakening values from LGPE. EVs on the other hand are kept track of from beating Pokemon. However EVs themselves are never used to increase stats, they're disabled. But transferring one will likely have a jumbled EV spread because of all the different mons that Pokemon fought.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Hammerite posted:

this seems like something they would have caught if they did like, any testing at all.

this is astonishing lol

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

ApplesandOranges posted:

There are some cool Pokes from Legends that would be nice to have (Wyrdeer, Ursaluna, Basculegion). Hisuian Liligant is cool too, it gets a physical version of Quiver Dance as well as Defog.

Hisuian Liligant is honestly my favourite of the Legends regional forms and I hope Victory Dance can be passed on to at least a few other Pokemon. Preferably ones with weaker base stats or move pools to make them useful like Toxicroak or Tsareena, or even better give it to Quaquaval!

Also apparently the whole weekend event has been cancelled entirely and moved to a later date because the issue cant be hotfixed?

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Hisui Lilligant? deftly an S Tier Forme

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I can't imagine Victory Dance gets spread around much, it's insanely OP

E: but then again I thought it would be nerfed for scavio and Bulbapedia says otherwise

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Hissuin Lilligant, Wyrdeer and Ursaluna are all great. I love them. I just want Ursaluna to be a regular Moonstone evolution though. The weird evolution mechanics in Legends weren't cool.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

it might actually be less tedious to get Ursaluna in Pokémon Go, where you can at least guarantee a full moon by looking at the sky irl

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

it might actually be less tedious to get Ursaluna in Pokémon Go, where you can at least guarantee a full moon by looking at the sky irl

according to the Pokemon Go thread, a Full Moon is some sort of in game event?? I didnt understand it. I just tried to evolve mine every day until it worked

I got a Shiny Ursaluna now tho 🤷🏻

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

it’s evening in your time zone during the night of the actual real life full moon, which means it’s predictable and you don’t have to do campfire stuff over and over. yeah, they only happen once a month, but you can passively earn Teddiursa candy in the interim by walking and just save up

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

it’s evening in your time zone during the night of the actual real life full moon, which means it’s predictable and you don’t have to do campfire stuff over and over. yeah, they only happen once a month, but you can passively earn Teddiursa candy in the interim by walking and just save up

I wish somebody explained it like this lol

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/1659627758891433989

lol and lmao

I'm like 90% sure that when Bamco basically turned ILCA into one of their own studios, they got them to peace out from HOME's development, and whoever is working on it now can't make heads or tails or the ancient architecture needed for the pokemon data.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they should just let bamco run pokemon

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
What? Uggghhhh! Typical.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

MorningMoon posted:

lol and lmao

I'm like 90% sure that when Bamco basically turned ILCA into one of their own studios, they got them to peace out from HOME's development, and whoever is working on it now can't make heads or tails or the ancient architecture needed for the pokemon data.

Fucksakes!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Looking at that image reminds me that this is I think the first gen where all three starters have universally strong hidden abilities. Most gens usually have at least one kinda dud or trickier to use hidden starter ability (Rain Dish Blastoise, Magician Delphox, Sniper Inteleon, etc.).

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

MorningMoon posted:

lol and lmao

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Looking at that image reminds me that this is I think the first gen where all three starters have universally strong hidden abilities. Most gens usually have at least one kinda dud or trickier to use hidden starter ability (Rain Dish Blastoise, Magician Delphox, Sniper Inteleon, etc.).

Damp Swampert jfc

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Contrary Serperior! Best snake in the world.

e: ooh the Pokemon Centre UK has posters of the regions now

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Treecko posted:

Damp Swampert jfc

Is it better or worse than Leaf Guard Meganium?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ApplesandOranges posted:

Is it better or worse than Leaf Guard Meganium?

Damp has some niche use while running Meganium on a Sun team seems suicidal.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Does Meganium even get any fire coverage?

I'm about 40% of the way through getting badges in Scarlet now. I've heard that Pokemon you can catch can still disobey you if you're above the level cap for the gym. Is that true?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Mysticblade posted:

I'm about 40% of the way through getting badges in Scarlet now. I've heard that Pokemon you can catch can still disobey you if you're above the level cap for the gym. Is that true?

Only if the Pokemon was caught at a higher level than your obedience level. Any mons that just happened to be ground up there won't disobey you.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Meganium is a bad starter if not the worst starter but hes my friend regardless

cant help it

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Patch Note: upgraded Hisui Lilligant from S Tier to God Tier

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I guess you could at least theoretically Tera Meganium nowadays

Who uses explosion tho? You scared of Electrode?

Still bad though, yeah. It already learns Safeguard lol.

Treecko fucked around with this message at 12:51 on May 20, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Mysticblade posted:

Hidden Power Nature Power Tera Blast or bust.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Mysticblade posted:

Surely they get weather ball right

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Fajita Queen posted:

Surely they get weather ball right

I did check and nope, not even when it was a TM in Gen VIII. The only starters to get it are all three Kanto starters and, for some reason, Inteleon.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

I did check and nope, not even when it was a TM in Gen VIII. The only starters to get it are all three Kanto starters and, for some reason, Inteleon.

:negative:

I'm glad most romhacks seem to care about making the bad starters good at least. Inclement Emerald for example makes meganium grass/fairy with an ability that gives all healing moves priority, and separately also buffs giga drain and draining kiss, which makes it a really solid mon.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I suppose they had no idea what they were doing when designing Gen 2 Pokemon. Or they purposely made them both difficult to acquire and very underpowered so they didn't get to outshine the Gen 1 Pokemon.

Grass Pokemon already have a disadvantage just from type matchups so they need more things like secondary types, useful hidden abilities, optimal stat allocations and good movepools to work with in order to be on par with other Pokemon. Meganium manages to have none of these things, which leads it to have very poor performance.

Honestly though, Grass Pokemon in general should get access to Earth Power (and perhaps lower powered ground moves like Bulldoze and Stomping Tantrum). Not so much Earthquake unless they're already physically strong or ground types like Gogoat and Torterra. Most water types get access to Ice Beam or Blizzard, but virtually none of them get Freeze Dry unless they're also Ice types.

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 20, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Meganium's Atk is actually near identical to its Sp.Atk despite what one might think. So it can actually make use of its ability to learn Earthquake/Bulldoze. Problem then though is that its Grass physical side is kinda lean - Bullet Seed or Petal Blizzard, basically.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Continuing to mess with Pokemon fan games. I'm having fun with Pokemon Island. It reconfigures the whole idea of progression; you access areas via a hub world where there's a colosseum in which you can fight to gain rank. I wasn't sure at first, then I realised the early ranks are *very easy* and once you gain a couple of ranks you make money hand over fist and can throw all the pokeballs you wish.

I wish more mons learned False Swipe though jeez.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm having some trouble with finding the 7 star Tera raids for Chesnaught. The only one I've seen is Iron Leaves, but I haven't found the ones for this weekend. Updated the Poke Portal news and everything.

There's a regular 6 star raid, I don't know if I need to beat that.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

https://twitter.com/playpokemon/status/1659615835521187841?t=I_-yX9b4nL69QsiUXKFr0w&s=19

No word on when they're coming back, but they will try rerunning them in the future .

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Oh well good to know it's not a me problem then.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

It wasn't a TM in BDSP and Meganium wasn't available anywhere else in Gen VIII; it's not had the chance. Hopefully when it does come back in a game with full competitive support they give it... something, I love Meganium but it's never been allowed to shine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

1st Stage Midboss posted:

It wasn't a TM in BDSP and Meganium wasn't available anywhere else in Gen VIII; it's not had the chance. Hopefully when it does come back in a game with full competitive support they give it... something, I love Meganium but it's never been allowed to shine.

But that's what New Pokemon Snap was all about.