Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if someone at Trek HQ suggested adding a fifth galactic quadrant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

HD DAD posted:

Honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if someone at Trek HQ suggested adding a fifth galactic quadrant

They might go for segments; we are now mid-segment, there is below and up to go! :D

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Der Kyhe posted:

They might go for segments; we are now mid-segment, there is below and up to go! :D

Technically the galaxy is made up of the thin disc and the thick disc, which are distinct segments with their own rotation and stellar populations with different characteristics and ages, so that kinda exists. (And then there's the bulge and the halo...)

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Star Trek: Bulge

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

We can't do Halo because Microsoft would sue

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

HD DAD posted:

Star Trek: Bulge

I think I have seen the pilot episode for this on the Internet. I don't think it was canon.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I was just thinking how silly it is that Discovery Klingons look the way they do but you got Worf looking normal in Picard and I just looked it up and saw they're back to the normal look we've seen since TMP for Strange New Worlds. I wonder how you come up with an in-universe explanation for that? I don't think you bother.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I was just thinking how silly it is that Discovery Klingons look the way they do but you got Worf looking normal in Picard and I just looked it up and saw they're back to the normal look we've seen since TMP for Strange New Worlds. I wonder how you come up with an in-universe explanation for that? I don't think you bother.

The Klingons are into genetic modification, and different great houses do different things, the TMP/TNG/ENT is the default look. They also are proficient enough in that business to turn an albino bat-klingon into a human form.

So yes, that. Lets leave it to that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mulaney Power Move posted:

They are really into cosmetic surgery. Like really into it. Like humans, they have fads and fashions and some of them are regrettable. Humans gave ourselves duck lips, pillow face, and buccal fat removal. Klingons go hog wild with ridges.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

"We do not discuss it with outsiders."

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it turns out that in discovery it wasn't klingons at all, it was klangons otherwise known as stupid klingons that suck.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

What do you think the Y-axis is for? :heysexy:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's for tricking 20th century genetically augmented dictators

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
gonna be honest while its mid tier Star Trek Someone to Watch Over Me from Voyager is a drat good episode

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

HD DAD posted:

The Morganna Quadrant you mean? :v:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Picard: Quadrant! Quad- ...sector? System? Where the gently caress are we, mister Data?

Data: Scans show that all nomenclature is arbitrarily defined by the surveying entities of various sentient spacefaring peoples, Captain.

Picard: Thank you, Mister Data. Number One, where are we?

Riker, drunkenly: Near a Chili's, I hope.

Picard: Chrissakes. Computer, where are we?

Computer: CURRENT COORDINATES ARE--

Picard: I'm just gonna say quadrant.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

nine-gear crow posted:

What do you think the Y-axis is for? :heysexy:

Y axis? I think you'll find that in star trek the Z axis is for "up" and "down".

Kirk posted:

Z minus 10000 meters. Stand by photon torpedoes.

Because in the 24th century, navigation computer software is ultimately based on the quake engine and blender (unity did not survive WW3).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well, using rectangular galactic coordinates xy is in the plane of the galaxy and z is towards galactic north ('up' from the plane), so that matches.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Working through TNG season 7 now, it's no 6.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

I've been dipping into random Voyager episodes I have never seen (which is about half of them) and chose Season 2's "Meld," in which a Betazed crew member murders another crew member for no other reason than being a psycho and Tuvok won't let it rest. There must be a reason! Nawp, dude's just psycho, and passes on some of that to Tuvok after they mind meld. Which gives us some great, "Hey, Tim Russ, just chew up that scenery like it's made of delicious nougat," including the great Neelix choke out moment.

Anyway, it ends with Janeway telling Tuvok, "No more mind melds without my authorization." And it just so happens the next episode I watch is S3's "Coda," in which Janeway dies in a time loop? I got a good chuckle that once the crew accepted that Janeway is dead, the plot needs Tuvok to do a mind meld on Kes, like he has pent-up unauthorized meldings to catch up on.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Brawnfire posted:

Picard: Quadrant! Quad- ...sector? System? Where the gently caress are we, mister Data?

Data: Scans show that all nomenclature is arbitrarily defined by the surveying entities of various sentient spacefaring peoples, Captain.

Picard: Thank you, Mister Data. Number One, where are we?

Riker, drunkenly: Near a Chili's, I hope.

Picard: Chrissakes. Computer, where are we?

Computer: CURRENT COORDINATES ARE--

Picard: I'm just gonna say quadrant.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

I've been dipping into random Voyager episodes I have never seen (which is about half of them) and chose Season 2's "Meld," in which a Betazed crew member murders another crew member for no other reason than being a psycho and Tuvok won't let it rest. There must be a reason! Nawp, dude's just psycho, and passes on some of that to Tuvok after they mind meld. Which gives us some great, "Hey, Tim Russ, just chew up that scenery like it's made of delicious nougat," including the great Neelix choke out moment.

Anyway, it ends with Janeway telling Tuvok, "No more mind melds without my authorization." And it just so happens the next episode I watch is S3's "Coda," in which Janeway dies in a time loop? I got a good chuckle that once the crew accepted that Janeway is dead, the plot needs Tuvok to do a mind meld on Kes, like he has pent-up unauthorized meldings to catch up on.

pity that they didn't use brad dourif more, he's such a great actor

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
It's especially noticeable in TOS how Spock at some point is like "I will use this ancient and mystic ability of my people referred to in hushed tones as a 'mind-meld'." and before long every other episode Kirk goes "Spock the replicator made my coffee a little tepid, can you do a mindmeld to it, make it snappy pls"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ChubbyChecker posted:

pity that they didn't use brad dourif more, he's such a great actor
That's apparently on Jeri Taylor. She insisted that his character get killed off at the end of Basics Part 2.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
God, who is this terrible mean blonde alien lady riding a wheelchair around DS9 yelling at all the main people?

EDIT: Now Dr Basir is trying to hit it?!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

That's apparently on Jeri Taylor. She insisted that his character get killed off at the end of Basics Part 2.

What a bonehead. How could anyone spend more than five minutes on a set with Brad Dourif and NOT decide to just let the man go as ham as he wants for as long as he wants to play a character for?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

What a bonehead. How could anyone spend more than five minutes on a set with Brad Dourif and NOT decide to just let the man go as ham as he wants for as long as he wants to play a character for?

Especially in the early seasons, good acting was actively discouraged for most of the cast so I can see how he wouldn't be a good fit

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

ReelBigLizard posted:

Working through TNG season 7 now, it's no 6.

the best part of tng season 7 is that pretty much nobody is trying to synchronize their physical reactions to when the ship gets hit by phasers anymore and they're either: a) barely moving at all or b) going absolutely loving bonkers with no rhyme or reason compared to their immediate neighbor

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
The best part of season 7 is there is no season 8.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The best part of TNG S7 is nobody gives a gently caress anymore and they’re just making the weirdest poo poo with varying results.

It’s basically Voyager S0

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
I wanted to see Picard turn into a Pygmy Marmoset in that one ep. Tufts of hair hastily glued to his face and him trying to run on all fours.

Spider Barclay was some of the coolest makeup the show had ever done though.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
S7 is fine haters. It’s got Pegasus, Lower Decks (the episode), Renaissance Data, All good things, and gently caress you Masks and Genesis are good campy fun. And while it heavily suffers from being a one episode story stretched over two Descent is unfairly maligned. Sex Ghost: Coast to Coast is just the suffering that gives the good parts of life context.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's nothing wrong with sub rosa and the world is better for its existence.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

GolfHole posted:

the best part of tng season 7 is that pretty much nobody is trying to synchronize their physical reactions to when the ship gets hit by phasers anymore and they're either: a) barely moving at all or b) going absolutely loving bonkers with no rhyme or reason compared to their immediate neighbor

Every seat has its own inertial stabiliser :pseudo:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there's nothing wrong with sub rosa and the world is better for its existence.

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there's nothing wrong with sub rosa, threshold, spock's brain and the world is better for their existences.

I'd say Profit and Lace but it's not fun bad, just bad bad

Trying to remember the worst Enterprise episode, maybe one of the Mayweather ones or the gross booger guys

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The worst episode of Enterprise that I've seen is Regeneration, just because it is the only episode of Enterprise that I've seen

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0135 posted:

I'd say Profit and Lace but it's not fun bad, just bad bad

Trying to remember the worst Enterprise episode, maybe one of the Mayweather ones or the gross booger guys

Archer's dog pisses on a tree then gets sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dabir posted:

The worst episode of Enterprise that I've seen is Regeneration, just because it is the only episode of Enterprise that I've seen
I rewatched it recently and it’s actually pretty good