Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
I watched that entire Flyers-Pens 5OT game. Ugh, rooting for the eventual losing side in those marathons is the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I remember watching a multiple overtime game with my dad where the power went out? Boston - Edmonton? And going to school the next day an absolute zombie

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

gently caress you Brent Burns you shaggy disheveled bitch!! You had the whole rink free on your forehand! Just because every skater looked like a zombie wading through muddy WW1 battlefields doesn't excuse that shameful giveaway!

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Panthers are 8-1 in their last 9, 6 of those games won by a single goal, 5 of them in OT. No OT losses. All thanks to one player:

https://twitter.com/MoneyPuckdotcom/status/1659525730139611136?s=20

At a certain point they're not gonna be able to keep getting away with this

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Oh look, it's the 2017 Ottawa Senators again.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Koopa Kid posted:

Panthers are 8-1 in their last 9, 6 of those games won by a single goal, 5 of them in OT. No OT losses. All thanks to one player:

Only needs to work 7 more times

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

eXXon posted:

Oh look, it's the 2017 Ottawa Senators again.

I think a comparison to the 21 Montreal Canadiens is apt, lowest seed in the playoffs getting hot off of a highly-paid goalie that people thought was cooked, and also being basically completely healthy while their opponents all have key guys injured or missing. Everything's coming up Cats!

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Koopa Kid posted:

The playoffs are the optimal time for hilariously unsustainable hockey so they very well may.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Koopa Kid posted:

The Paul Maurice Special.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

mennoknight posted:

I remember watching a multiple overtime game with my dad where the power went out? Boston - Edmonton? And going to school the next day an absolute zombie

I went to the Canucks/Stars 4OT game and I remember getting home and going to bed at like 145am and thinking "oh crap I have to wake up for school in five hours."

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Also worth noting the two games the Panthers won by more than a goal were both off of empty netters, so functionally it’s 8 of 9 games won by a single goal.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Koopa Kid posted:

Also worth noting the two games the Panthers won by more than a goal were both off of empty netters, so functionally it’s 8 of 9 games won by a single goal.

Isn't every win technically by one goal? The other goals are, like, buffer.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Habibi posted:

Isn't every win technically by one goal? The other goals are, like, buffer.

Generally speaking teams records in games decided by a single goal tend to approach .500, so if a team is winning... *checks notes* literally all of them it's a simple shorthand to say "these guys are lucky as gently caress"

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Koopa Kid posted:

Generally speaking teams records in games decided by a single goal tend to approach .500, so if a team is winning... *checks notes* literally all of them it's a simple shorthand to say "these guys are lucky as gently caress"

Or your goaltender is dragging you kicking and screaming to a bunch of wins

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

grack posted:

Or your goaltender is dragging you kicking and screaming to a bunch of wins

Your goaltender is dragging you kicking and screaming to a bunch of coin flips which you are in turn winning.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

kalensc posted:

I watched that entire Flyers-Pens 5OT game. Ugh, rooting for the eventual losing side in those marathons is the worst.

Honestly by the end I was kinda just numb to it and was like "thank god, I can go to bed now".

Now today, after an inappropriately low amount of sleep, it's really setting in and I'm just annoyed.

Oh well, both goalies played like legends, so I can't be too annoyed about it.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

RC Cola posted:

gently caress Correy perry

All of my fellow hockey friends (none of them are goons here) call him that now because that's how I refer to him. Thank you fellow goons for officially naming him that.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

trilljester posted:

All of my fellow hockey friends (none of them are goons here) call him that now because that's how I refer to him. Thank you fellow goons for officially naming him that.

It's one of the sport's most wonderful facts that one of its least likeable players managed to lose three consecutive championship series with three different teams.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

ThinkTank posted:

It's one of the sport's most wonderful facts that one of its least likeable players managed to lose three consecutive championship series with three different teams.

It's proof enough that karma is a real thing.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

trilljester posted:

It's proof enough that karma is a real thing.

https://twitter.com/TSN_Sports/status/1655730051898327042?t=vraZfy-aHT0WGbI6VCe76Q&s=19

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

trilljester posted:

and, on certain occasions, Creepy Rory

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Many years ago in a hockey thread on here, a goon posted about a few dozen NHL player name anagrams, and Corey Perry ended up as “Creepy Rory”.

And that’s what he’ll always be to me since then.

Creepy Rory.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

It would have been even better had he not won the Cup in 2007 though.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Gonz posted:

Many years ago in a hockey thread on here, a goon posted about a few dozen NHL player name anagrams, and Corey Perry ended up as “Creepy Rory”.

Creepy Rory.

That was also the day that everyone changed their display names to hockey player anagrams and I lost complete track of who was who.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

That was also the day that everyone changed their display names to hockey player anagrams and I lost complete track of who was who.

It’s helpful if people keep themed avatars. I haven’t found a good JR face for you yet, but at some point the upgrade needs to happen

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
someone give me a sad dubas avatar in that case

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ThinkTank posted:

Mods, rename me to Erk, E. coli?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Nuh uh, no name changes. I'm not updating the brackets

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

eXXon posted:

Mods, rename me to Erk, E. coli?

erik cole?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

ThinkTank posted:

I went to the Canucks/Stars 4OT game and I remember getting home and going to bed at like 145am and thinking "oh crap I have to wake up for school in five hours."

I was in first year of university, living in Ottawa, and it was like 3:30am and I had an exam at 9am the next day. I was lying on the couch in the dorm common room watching the game and just praying for it to end so I could go to sleep.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Koopa Kid posted:

Agree that 2021 Habs is the right comparison. They're going to get crushed in the Finals and I'm going to make a lot of money.

Losing games they dominate in the win-o-meter is the Hurricanes' specialty. It's like Brind'Amour and the front office set out with the explicit goal to break the fancystats systems.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
2021 habs were a bad team with a god goalie. cats are an insanely good team with a god goalie. terrible comparison bros.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

heehee posted:

2021 habs were a bad team with a god goalie. cats are an insanely good team with a god goalie. terrible comparison bros.

There’s two Staals on the team and neither is the one that’s still kind of ok

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Is there a thread to talk about WHL? If not, go Thunderbirds.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

heehee posted:

They suck rear end.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mcqueen posted:

Is there a thread to talk about WHL? If not, go Thunderbirds.

Nope, go Tbirds. It’s nice that a Seattle team is showing they can finish off a few series. They pull off this last period and they’re off to the memorial cup.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Go Knights. They're going to be in trouble if the Stars actually click properly, but a win is a win

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
The Firebirds in the AHL are in their first season and just won their third straight winner take all game of the postseason.

I am so proud of my home town team

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Every game is required to go to overtime from here on out. Coin flips all the way till a cup is won.

:munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Gonz posted:

Creepy Rory.

My current discord name
Edit: but its gently caress Creepy Rory