Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Bum the Sad posted:

What is Wrestlers Court?

grown men pretending to be judge and jury to haze and harass their coworkers over minor grievances

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
it stops mattering when you and your cohorts are broken down old men who can barely move and the people you are trying to gently caress with are younger and in better shape and realize they dont have to listen to you anymore

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Undertaker had a backstage boys club called bone street krew with cool badass dudes such as rikishi and savio vega. He has "bsk pride" tattooed on his tummy.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Bum the Sad posted:

What is Wrestlers Court?

Back in the early-mid 2000s, when WWF/WWE was the only game in town, they had an informal peer pressure/punishment/hazing system that was nicknamed "Wrestler's Court", where wrestlers who were deemed to have committed whatever "infraction" were given stupid petty punishments.

One example of an "infraction" would be something like a wrestler upgrading their plane ticket (out of their own pocket) from coach to business class, because the "higher up" wrestlers didn't think they "earned" the "right" to travel business class. poo poo like that.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Back in the early-mid 2000s, when WWF/WWE was the only game in town, they had an informal peer pressure/punishment/hazing system that was nicknamed "Wrestler's Court", where wrestlers who were deemed to have committed whatever "infraction" were given stupid petty punishments.

One example of an "infraction" would be something like a wrestler upgrading their plane ticket (out of their own pocket) from coach to business class, because the "higher up" wrestlers didn't think they "earned" the "right" to travel business class. poo poo like that.

That sounds dumb as gently caress.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Bum the Sad posted:

you understand it perfectly

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
they made goldberg apologize to chris jericho and tell him that he's the best worker lol

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the smartest man to ever wrestle is kevin nash and he still has hosed up legs from it

nashs legs were hosed up before he even got into wrestling. he was a career basketball player playing in europe then he blew out his knee. he got into wrestling after because it was something athletic he could do with one leg lol

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Bum the Sad posted:

What was even dumber was that the "guilty" wrestlers actually went along with it, because they considered it as part of paying their dues or whatever. Like I said, it wasn't until (IIRC) Punk said "gently caress that noise" that it eventually stopped being a thing.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Joey McChrist posted:

nashs legs were hosed up before he even got into wrestling. he was a career basketball player playing in europe then he blew out his knee. he got into wrestling after because it was something athletic he could do with one leg lol

lol nash ftw

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
kevin nash going to a wrestling seeing all those vanilla midgets being falsely measured as 6'10 while he's actually 6'10 and saying he can do that and he can

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Sydney Bottocks posted:

This is more or less part of what got Blue Meanie on JBL's bad side. He apparently got upgraded to first class by an airline once, and he... took it. He had no idea he was expected to give his seat up to a veteran wrestler, and was given a bunch of poo poo over it.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I've been watching aew since Vince forced his way back into the wwe and I'm currently in the empty arena covid era.

Cody did a lot of commentary, and he keeps name dropping Dick Murdoch and you'd think mentioning the card carrying kkk member would be a nono

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

For an example of what wrestlers weren't supposed to do: in 1987, American hero "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan and evil Iranian foreigner The Iron Sheik were in the midst of a big feud for America's honor...and then they got pulled over while riding together, with Duggan driving under the influence of marijuana and alcohol, and the Sheik high on cocaine.

They both got let go from the WWF shortly after (though Duggan eventually came back a year or so later).

When the sheik got busted for that with hacksaw, his career fell faster than Owen Hart.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Steve must've been wearing these when Owen said he'd kick his leg out of his leg.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I imagine you have a hard time finding anyone who wants to be a wrestler in the last couple decades and isn't a huge nerd.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puň essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

AlmightyBob posted:

I've been watching aew since Vince forced his way back into the wwe and I'm currently in the empty arena covid era.

Cody did a lot of commentary, and he keeps name dropping Dick Murdoch and you'd think mentioning the card carrying kkk member would be a nono

here again, Dick Murdoch was smart enough to die before they invented the internet

he exists now only in Cody's tape library, and is technically less decorated than Trevor Murdoch, who stole the name from him

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

they made goldberg apologize to chris jericho and tell him that he's the best worker lol

The one time Wrestler's Court was used for good because gently caress Goldberg.

I do remember a funny story with it where those guys confronted John Morrison (I think) in a bathroom stall because of some offense they claimed he pulled and he was so freaked out that he slid out from under the stall, somehow locked the guys in the stall, and cheesed it. With several dudes stuck in a bathroom stall and unable to get out, the situation was so ridiculous that they just had to laugh it off and let the whole thing go.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

I don't know this story, explain.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Literally A Person posted:

I'd like some more info on this too, I wonder if it's related to the story of Jericho and Goldberg getting into a fight backstage that Jericho won (where Jericho basically got him in a shoot front facelock and stretched him).

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Literally A Person posted:

Back in WCW, when Goldberg was at his peak and was blazing through everyone as the undefeated champ, Chris Jericho would start doing these segments based around calling Goldberg out during shows where Goldberg wasn't scheduled to be there. He'd claim he beat "Greenberg" via count-out and would beat up a crappy-looking fake Goldberg. Usually, something like this would, you know, lead to a match of some sort.

Bischoff and Goldberg didn't want to do Goldberg vs. Jericho. It's not like Jericho wanted to win. It's not like Goldberg had any real storylines going on at PPVs. Really, if he was on the card, it was usually a squash win on the undercard against someone like Curt Hennig. So even though Jericho was trying to build up some heat for Goldberg to destroy him in a match, the only payoff was Goldberg spearing him on the entrance ramp during a promo segment. This was one of the last straws and convinced Jericho to jump ship to WWF.

Years later, they were both in WWE and there was still some harsh feelings over the WCW stuff. They got in a backstage tussle and Jericho won. Goldberg was told by the locker room (I feel like Triple H was behind this) that he had to admit that Jericho was a better wrestler than him as punishment.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puň essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Bum the Sad posted:

tbf, I get the vibe that the actual point of doing Wrestlers' Court is for a bunch of guys who are stuck together on a tour bus for 300 days a year in the mid-90s to keep each other in check and blow off some steam without having to go to Vince McMahon every time and tell him that Mabel spilt hot sauce on your ring jacket and is refusing to pay for dry-cleaning, it's not intended to be super serial

you know, until people start taking it super serial and the Miz gets changed in the janitor's closet for a year because the man who threw him out of the locker room then went and did a murder-suicide and now can't approve for him to come back in

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

tbf, I get the vibe that the actual point of doing Wrestlers' Court is for a bunch of guys who are stuck together on a tour bus for 300 days a year in the mid-90s to keep each other in check and blow off some steam without having to go to Vince McMahon every time and tell him that Mabel spilt hot sauce on your ring jacket and is refusing to pay for dry-cleaning, it's not intended to be super serial

you know, until people start taking it super serial and the Miz gets changed in the janitor's closet for a year because the man who threw him out of the locker room then went and did a murder-suicide and now can't approve for him to come back in

I think the Miz might be dodging bullets there.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Wrestler's court: Yet another example of jabroni marks working themselves into a shoot.

---

All That Glitters: Part 7

At this point, nearly all of the ‘strange, mad’ aspects of Dustin Runnels’ career were in the rear view mirror. Considering we still have fifteen years to go, I will see if there’s anything left to mine.

Having returned anew as Goldust, Runnels participated in the 2009 Royal Rumble, getting a small moment when he stared down his half-brother Cody Rhodes, but would swiftly be eliminated by him, while Rhodes, playing lackey to that year’s winner Randy Orton, would make it to the final four. After being a lumberjack at Wrestlemania XXV for the pre-show tag team match, Goldust would find himself as part of yet another joke tag team with surprisingly long-running and spotlighted ‘little person’ Dylan Postl, nee Hornswoggle, teaming with him and mainly feuding with (The) Brian Kendrick on the C-Shows like Superstars, in between Hornswoggle making a massive joke out of Chavo Guerrero in all sorts of comedy gimmick matches and sketches, including one where, no joke, Hornswoggle applied literal Loony Toons cartoon rules to reality and painted a tunnel on a wall that he ran through, while Chavo, of course, slammed into the wall.

Edit: Wait, no, that was Carlito.

However, it WAS Chavo that Hornswoggle beat in a Falls Count Anywhere match by pulling a page from Home Alone and swinging a paint can into his face. Though that was worth it just for the ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS2vcqKStk4

That tag team would end when Goldust was drafted to the “WWECW” brand at the end of June 2009. While it seemed like yet again his return to the land of hardcore, by the time of mid 2009 WWE’s version of ECW had been thoroughly drained of all its blood and color and was essentially just another B-show rather than anything like the place it had been in the mid to late 90’s, for better or for worse. While they still did No DQ and hardcore matches, they weren’t much different from what you’d find on Raw or Smackdown. Goldust would be the debuted-on-live-WWE-TV-at-the-same-time Stephen “Sheamus’ Farrelly’s first feud, which Goldust lost, as Sheamus was the upcoming big project who by the end of the year would be on the main WWE show and WWE Champion in a shock upset over John Cena in a ‘Tables’ match. Still, being a veteran, Goldust got some shots at the ECW championship, and as 2010 began, formed a tag team with Japanese wrestler Yoshi Tatsu, though the team fell short of capturing the ECW Tag Team titles on what would be the WWECW brand’s final show before it was dissolved. With the tag team broken up due to Goldust and Tatsu being drafted to different shows, Goldust was on Smackdown…for about two months, before he got drafted back to Raw because…someone had ADHD, who knows. Maybe it was solely so he could do a segment with the May 3rd ‘guest host’ Wayne Brady.

(If you somehow don’t know what I’m talking about, for about a year Raw would have ‘guest hosts’ that would oversee the show. Sometimes that was entertaining, like when Bob Barker did it…but more often than not, it was failed attempts at cross-promotion with people who had either no clue about the product (such as actor Jeremy Piven calling Summerslam “The Summerfest”), or had absolutely zero ability to actually ‘perform’, even if it was just getting on a mike and talking, like the inexplicable choice to have the October 26th, 2009 edition be guest hosted by Kyle Busch and Joey Lagone, who were a pair of RACECAR drivers. And it wasn’t even the Raw that was in Indianapolis that month, that had happened two weeks ago and been hosted by actresses Nancy O’Dell and Maria Menounos. Strangely, Brady would end up being the second to last guest host; after the next week’s Raw with guest host Flavor Flav, the WWE abandoned the idea)

Goldust wouldn’t do anything special for the next few months, mostly fighting on house shows, sometimes winning, sometimes losing (actually according to his Cage Match stats he mostly won). His next storyline attention would come when he was announced to be one of the ‘pros’ for the third season of NXT, which as explained by someone in this thread (I think…? This time I thoroughly checked the table of contents on Page 1 and didn’t find it. On a side note, someone poke Hefty Leftist, he’s way behind updating it), started out as a traditional reality TV type show before it eventually morphed into its own brand. By Season 3 though, it was still in the reality TV format, with that season being a ‘woman’s edition’. Goldust would be the pro for Živilė Raudonienė, who would be performing on the much easier to type name of ‘Aksana’.

In a way that perhaps showed that there was still a touch of perversion in the Goldust character, he would end up in a torrid (storyline) affair with his rookie. At the same time, he began to stalk Ted Dibiase Jr to steal his Million Dollar Belt, which he successfully did. As DiBiase Jr did not have a Big Bossman to steal the belt back, he had to try, and fail, to do it himself. However, when Goldust and Aksana were ‘married’ on the November 2nd 2010 edition of NXT, Aksana responded to ‘You may now kiss the bride’ by slapping Goldust and leaving him there, revealing that the Eastern European born woman had only married him to get a green card. To add insult to injury, she stole the Million Dollar belt. Goldust promptly got her eliminated from the NXT competition, stole the belt back from her and gave it back to DiBiase (better him than her, I guess) and then asked for a divorce.

This is either an improvement over terribly executed mind games and performance artist nonsense, or a downgrade. You tell me. It would be the last spotlight thing Dustin would do for this edition of his WWE stay, as he’d injure his shoulder more or less as soon as the angle ended, take six months off to heal, spend some time working as a backstage producer, and only making a few on screen appearances in 2011 and into 2012, not wrestling a single match during that time, even on house shows. In May 2012, Dustin would again leave the company.

Thankfully, he didn’t go back to TNA and try to be ‘Gray Cloud’ or something; he’d return to various independants and, as 2013 started, would make a surprise appearance at the 2013 Royal Rumble, again facing down Cody and getting eliminated by him, again. While a feud was teased, Goldust reported on Twitter that it had been a one shot deal. He would spend the first ⅔ of 2013 doing more independents before he would sign anew with the WWE around August 2013. He would immediately be put into one of the focal storylines at the time; his brother had been kayfabe fired by “The Authority”, ie Triple H and Stephanie McMahon, who were playing the latest version of the evil, well, authority figures who would play favorites with the heels and screw over the faces. At the time, the Authority’s main mooks were the heel trio of The Shield, and Goldust and Cody would end up being the ones to bloody the Shield’s nose after the trio had been dominant and crushed many of their opponents, beating the tag team of Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns to get Cody’s job back at Battleground, the October 2013 PPV, and then beating them again for the tag titles they held a week later on Raw.

By now, like before, basically all of the original Goldust aspects were gone: while he kept the outfit type and the gold face paint, Dustin would put aside the robes and wigs, instead wearing a hooded jacket to mirror his brother, and he would speak with his normal voice instead of any breathy put ons. But while all aspects of the character were gone, it seemed to have been traded in for wrestling skill, as Dustin began showing even more moves and maneuvers that belied his mid 40’s, 20+ years of wrestling wear and tear situation, including adding in a somersault placha from the ring apron as a team move with Cody. He and Cody would hold the tag belts into the next Royal Rumble, where they would lose them to another ‘old school’ tag team, the freshly returned New Age Outlaws. On top of that, Goldust would accidentally eliminate Cody from the Rumble that night. Things didn’t get better over the next months, as on TV the Goldust/Cody team (known unofficially as ‘The Brotherhood’ based on their relation and hooded attire) would fail repeatedly to get the tag titles back (and failed on house shows as well, albeit in triple threat matches). By the start of June 2014, Cody had become frustrated by the constant losses and blamed himself, saying that Goldust needed to get a new tag team partner. One that Cody would find himself. One who would debut in mid June.

The man known as STARDUST.

Ie Goldust Mk 2 With Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon coating.

Cody might despise the gimmick now, but at first Stardust was actually very entertaining, mimicking several of Goldust’s established moves in his own way (Goldust had a ‘drop to knees, punch opponent’ signature move: Cody as Stardust did a ‘drop on back, kick opponent’ version of it for an example). Likewise, while Goldust had started as a Hollywood weirdo, Stardust was basically a ‘nerd weirdo’ with some ‘high on weed and LSD’ mixed in, babbling about silly nonsense like a ‘cosmic key’ and acting like he was playing some Alternate Reality Game only he understood. Despite all the strangeness, the gimmick change worked for the pair, as they did a heel turn and finally won the tag belts back again in September, though they’d lose it to the team of The Miz and Damien “Mizdow” by November and fail to regain them. As 2015 began, it seemed like the fresh bloom was also off the rose, and Stardust began showing his frustration with his brother, before finally turning on him in mid-February. A match was signed and happened between the two a week later at the February PPV Fastlane, where Goldust would win, but would be attacked backstage by Stardust afterwards. The plan, as the brothers wished, was to have a big blow off match at Wrestlemania.

At least until Vince McMahon told them nope, not happening. He hadn’t been impressed by their Fastlane match and didn’t feel a rematch deserved to happen at Wrestlemania. With the days of Wrestlemania happening over two nights and getting nearly 20 matches still five years in the future, the two brothers ended up being part of the 2nd Andre the Giant Battle Royale (Goldust) and part of the IC Title multi man ladder match (Stardust). With the feud more or less squashed and written off as done, you’d think Cody Rhodes would return to being, well, Cody Rhodes…

Except the WWE insisted he remain as Stardust. And remain he did. While he did get a somewhat entertaining bit playing comic book supervillain against Arrow main character Stephen Amell, in a cross-entertainment feud that actually had Amell participate in a Summerslam match, and actually handle himself fairly well due to his heavy duty parkour training. And yet, even after that, Cody, despite pitching various ideas and trying to end being Stardust, would be forced to keep being Stardust. One has to wonder if Vince was STILL resentful that despite his efforts to humiliate Dusty Rhodes in the mid 80’s, Dusty had made his nonsense work anyway, and was taking it out on his kids. Eventually, Cody got sick of it and just asked for his release, which was granted in May 2016, leaving Cody to head out into the wide world where I’m sure Vince and a lot of other people thought he’d just fade away to nothing.

Goldust? Well, shortly after Wrestlemania he would suffer another shoulder injury and be off for another 4-6 months. He’d return in November 2015, briefly feud with Stardust again before it was again ended, and suddenly as 2016 rolled around Goldust began approaching comedy wrestler R-Truth, saying that they should form a tag team. A tag team known as…THE GOLDEN TRUTH.

R-Truth would turn him down. Goldust would insist. His insistence would cost R-Truth his match at Fastlane 2016, at which point Goldust realized he needed to stop bothering Truth. Except now Truth felt bad and tried to form the team with GOLDUST, with GOLDUST being the one refusing. This circular nonsense would continue on for another three months, with Goldust and R-Truth almost playing a platonic ‘everyone can see it except them’ role against each other, where as April 2016 occurred, they would be put in a tag team tournament as a team, only for Goldust to say no, he was going to team with the wrestler Fandango instead, then that team lost, then R-Truth said he was going to team up with the wrestler Tyler Breeze, and then THAT team lost, and then the Goldust/Fandango and Truth/Breeze teams were made to face each other, with Goldust and Truth refusing to fight each other, and then out of frustration Fandango and Breeze teamed up instead to beat them up and formed their OWN tag team, “Breezango”. Which finally, finally prompted the official forming of “The Golden Truth”.

The Golden Truth would then spend the rest of 2016, more or less, feuding with The Shining Stars, with the story being R-Truth kept getting manipulated and conned into being offered Puerto Rico trips/timeshares and Goldust having to pull him away from getting scammed. This would included being put in a ten man five team tag team Survivor Series match for the 2016 SS, only for R-Truth to sell the spots to the Shining Stars for tickets to Puerto Rico.

2017 began and the Golden Truth kept jobbing and generally not being successful. Finally, by mid-May, Truth would apologize, feeling he was the weak link and was dragging the team down. Goldust told him they won and lost as a team, and that would always be the case. The two would then head out for their latest match that night, with Goldust and R-Truth beginning their traditional intro…

Only for Goldust to turn on R-Truth and beat him senseless, turning heel again. The next week, he would appear, for the first time in a long time, in a director’s chair, promising that ‘The Golden Age was back’ and that Goldust would soon unveil ‘something spectacular’.

Spoiler for next post: No, he wouldn’t. And didn’t.

I think the next post will probably wrap it all up as well.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 25, 2023

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Cornwind Evil posted:

with the story being R-Truth kept getting manipulated and conned into being offered Puerto Rico trips/timeshares
wrestling sure is something special

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

r truth rules, the king of the ring 2015 sucked rear end EXCEPT for r truths promos where he said he would use his powers as king to ban all spiders from the ring, and then after he lost he started coming out with like a burger king crown and a plunger

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I believe in a democratic Ring-public, but I agree that R-Truth is cool

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

WWE COMICS: PART 2

Last time, we talked about WWF's early 90s comic for kids, an ongoing WCW comic that got tripped up by continuity issues, and a WWF one-shot that was too stupid for its own good. Now we head into the days of the Monday Night War.

THE UNDERTAKER (AND FRIENDS)

Once the Attitude Era truly kicked in, WWF had no shortage of wrestlers to merchandise. They signed an agreement with Chaos Comics. I cannot tell you a single non-WWF comic from Chaos, but I’m certain that they probably had at least one comic about a scantily clad demon woman with giant breasts and swords. They were that kind of comic company, and it was the late-90s.

For two years, Chaos would release comics based on top WWF stars. They did two issues about Chyna, a Mankind one-shot, and a Rock one-shot that I recall being shockingly decent. It was about the Rock in Vegas, getting sucked into an underground fight club and having to fight a man who can impale people through the chest with his punches. I think the Mankind one was about him stumbling across some kind of conspiracy where homeless people were being kidnapped and experimented on. I don’t know. I’m not going to go back and check.

Steve Austin had a four-issue miniseries done in the style of an action movie where he’s a menacing stranger wandering into a corrupt town and bringing the villain to justice. It ended up being some kind of ill-explained revenge plot but since they did not want Austin to come off as too heroic, he ended up blowing up the entire town in the end because he’s an rear end in a top hat.

The crown jewel of the Chaos Comics WWF run was the Undertaker’s comic. He had an ongoing series that lasted ten issues, plus a Halloween special. This ended up being the only WWF comic from this collection that actually dealt with wrestling! At least in the sense that Undertaker’s matches were actually him murdering demons and sending them back to Hell, but humans would perceive it as a normal fight.

The idea was that Undertaker was like some kind of bounty hunter working for Hell who would hunt down escaped demons. Or he was treated as a warden. Something stupid. Paul Bearer and Kane were supporting characters in the comic, but they also introduced a new villain named the Ebalmer and an antihero named Jezebel.

Now, the timing for this comic was rather awkward. The idea came when Undertaker was a face feuding with Kane and Paul Bearer, but as the comic kept going, Undertaker became a big Satanic mega-heel in the company and went back to siding with Paul Bearer. Also, Kane turned face around that time. In other words, the comic became more of a mess than it already was due to the confusion over how to write the characters.

But Paul Bearer was always the villain and this comic went hard into that. How hard? Jezebel was Undertaker and Kane’s half-sister (well, technically, just Kane’s). I’m not going to post the panels, but a flashback revealed that Paul Bearer had her mother kidnapped by goons so he could have his way with her. There’s even a panel of him standing at the foot of her bed, removing the last of his clothes.

Christ.

By the time the comic reached its end, the real-life (er, you know what I mean) Undertaker had been written off TV due to injury and would not return for a while. Plus he would return with his biker gimmick, so the comic de-powering him of his mystical abilities at the end wasn’t totally off.

Shortly after the second Chyna comic, Chaos went bankrupt. Sounds about right.

WCW SLAM FORCE

Once again, WCW was working with Marvel. This time, they had an idea based on SLAM Force, an action figure line that featured wrestlers as gritty 90s superheroes. What if Sting was a Todd McFarlane character, is what it essentially was. Marvel UK went and did a one-shot about the Secret Legion Against Monsters Force.

The team was made up of Bret Hart, Sting, Goldberg, Kevin Nash, and Chris Benoit. There was nothing about it that had any connection to wrestling in any way other than those guys being in it. Otherwise, it was just a by-the-numbers action sequence of generic superheroes fighting monsters. After the issue, there was mention that it was going to be getting its own series and suggested ordering a subscription to it.

There was never any follow-up. There are probably many reasons for this, but one of the big ones was the timing. This issue came out in January of 2000. You know what else happened that month? Chris Benoit left WCW as champion and went to WWF. Yeah, that’ll do it.

It wasn’t just the SLAM Force series that ended up on the cutting room floor. There was also the possibility of a WCW vs. Marvel comic event and there is even inked art of it on the internet. Pages include Hulk vs. Hulk, Spider-Man vs. Sting, and Bret Hart putting Captain America in the Sharpshooter.

If only...

WWE HEROES

In 2010, WWE tried again with another comic series, this time fittingly from the publisher Titan. No, I haven’t heard of them either. This comic was WWE Heroes and it is a trip.

It was mainly a six-issue miniseries called “Rise of the Firstborn.” It started interestingly enough with a villain called the Shadow King, searching for his brother in the modern world. The Shadow King and the Firstborn are eternal rivals with the Firstborn constantly saving the world from the Shadow King every era or so, only for the villain to resurrect again and again. The Shadow King’s priest Josiah had figured out that the Firstborn was a WWE wrestler, but was not 100% sure which one. Shadow King would watch wrestlers compete and have flashbacks to similar fights with his brother from throughout the ages. Was his brother John Cena? The Undertaker?

I don’t know, maybe the fact that the Shadow King had a half-burned face and otherwise looked exactly like Triple H was a gigantic tipoff.

Big reveal! Triple H is literally Cain from the bible! Only Cain was the good guy because he was protecting the world from Abel’s evil.

Josiah and his minions took over WrestleMania and held the entire arena hostage as he tried to figure out the Firstborn’s identity. Then things got weirder when it’s revealed that Chris Jericho, Edge, and Shawn Michaels were also in league with the Shadow King and had motherfucking Jojo Stands! Only Michaels turned good because of Triple H’s friendship over the years.

In what was hyped up as some kind of adventure featuring the entire WWE roster, the whole thing felt like nothing more than Triple H’s self-insert fanfiction where only he was able to stop the bad guys. He did stop the Shadow King, but in return ended up lost in time. The other wrestlers then talked about how awesome Triple H is.

There was a brief follow-up that ended as quickly as it began. There was a storyline called “Time Quake,” where we would get three two-parters about different wrestlers dealing with the fallout. The first two issues had Undertaker and Rey Mysterio team up against Josiah and the Shadow King’s undead bride. It was hinted that the next issue would be about a time-displaced John Cena in gladiator times, fighting against Chris Jericho and the Miz.

That issue never came out. Probably because Chris Jericho was gone from the company by that point, so that put a damper on things. That was a big problem throughout the entirety of WWE Heroes, as the artist apparently had to alter art a LOT. You could even see Umaga sketched in the background in various group shots, even though Umaga had left the company and even died by the time the comic was released.

Up next: Mick Foley is clever, but clever does not always mean good.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
I wish my memory contained the knowledge of who the Firstborn was instead of the fact that I can confirm that yes, that Paul Bearer comic thing exists, I saw it with my own eyes in a comic in my own hands.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
theres a kevin nash comic called kevin nash written by kevin nash that lated 2 issues before being canceled

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

theres a kevin nash comic called kevin nash written by kevin nash that lated 2 issues before being canceled

lol

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

remember the wwe novels where in between wrestling matches, the roster was like out fighting terrorists or something

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

AlmightyBob posted:

remember the wwe novels where in between wrestling matches, the roster was like out fighting terrorists or something

BIG APPLE TAKEDOWN

It's kind of amazing not going to lie.

quote:

The story begins in December 2001. WWE Chairman Vince McMahon meets with old aide Phil Thomson, a government official. Thomson proposes to Vince the creation of a covert group consisting of McMahon's most refined wrestlers, knowing their exaggerated, constantly touring lifestyle will provide excellent cover. Vince accepts the deal, and recruits John Cena, Triple H, Dave Batista, Chavo Guerrero, Torrie Wilson, and finally himself as leader.

In March 2006, the team have by now formed a tight unit, and they are given their latest assignment, to break into a methyl-amphetamine development lab that is financially supporting terrorists in the European regions, when one of their own is taken prisoner, the wrestlers must stage a rescue which could endanger their careers and their lives.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

WAIT A MINUTE BATISTA AND CENA DIDN'T DEBUT IN THE WWE UNTIL 2002

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
theres a undertaker and kane novel that bravely tries to tie all of the conflicting backstories together to make a coherent plot and fails miserably

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

This is closer to what I've heard about wrestler's court*. Big muscle heads getting mad about dumb poo poo can get dangerous so it was a way to hear out both sides and decide which guy had to buy a round of beer and the grievance was dropped after that. In theory. I've heard stories that were along these lines and others that were dumb hazing. From what I remember, the Edge/Christian thing was partially them "bribing the judge" (in front of everyone) but just as much them leaning into it and making a goofy fake book about "How to get ahead by kissing rear end" or whatever it was. Reminder that they were accused of getting preferential treatment by sucking up to a writer.

The version of the Miz incident I heard wasn't even wrestlers court. He was eating fried chicken over someone's bag and getting crumbs on it so he was told to get out of the locker room. Tradition was that if you got kicked out you couldn't come back until invited back by the person that kicked you out. This presents a problem if the guy is dead. A few weeks or months later (the duration gets longer every time the story is retold) Taker asks why he isn't using the locker room and upon hearing why just tells him to go use the locker room.

*Every wrestlers court story I've heard involving JBL is just him being an rear end in a top hat and hazing people.

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 21, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ł ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Getting hazed by the Steiners always sounded like a real bad fuckin time

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

not trolled not crying posted:

The chairshot has to be seen (heard) to be believed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj1ScIBpUq0

Of course concussions etc./cte are bad but this was well deserved.

This was about the time I was going to live events. I remember this episode, and I had a mix of glee and cringe at how hard Stevie hit Bradshaw with that chair.

Blue Meanie always seemed like a nice enough guy.

I was a big fan of Stevie from ECW, and I always liked the character work he did, even when he was saddled with Right to Censor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I know Taker is (likely still) a chud and an rear end in a top hat on some level but I like the head-shaking exasperated dad energy of telling Miz just use the locker room already.

I’ve always had interest in how Taker seemed to be the most grounded in reality vs fiction. I have no idea if that has to with how impossible his character is or if he had a firm grasp on reality from an early age.