Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Jack Trades posted:

Devs of the sequel made Children of Morta which had extremely lame combat.

Morta kombat was fine, not super deep but ok. It's the usual dumb metaprogression which makes it feel a lot worse each time a new area increases the enemies HP Sponge level. It's very pretty though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Finished Revita on Shard 10. I've unlocked all the base forms of the weapons but I feel like my playstyle now is Orbit Gun all day err day

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FishMcCool posted:

MORTA KOMBAAAAAT was fine, not super deep but ok. It's the usual dumb metaprogression which makes it feel a lot worse each time a new area increases the enemies HP Sponge level. It's very pretty though.

Fixed that for you.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Johnny Joestar posted:

achra is more about finding out which verbs you want to be doing and when you want to be doing them. like if you want to do a build utilizing poise, which you start losing chunks of if you directly move, you'll spend a lot of time doing the wait action to counterattack or directly attacking monsters while trying to avoid stepping, and you can get stuff like some of the astral skills to make yourself automatically teleport at enemies on a cooldown when you wait in place and also grab something to cut down on that cooldown. so in that scenario you can just have constant, insane amounts of poise stacking up since you're not actively stepping.

it's about building around what particular actions you're doing in combat

I got to the second zone for the first time yesterday with a beefo block/fire guy

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i have played way too many roguelikes and have pretty low standards and i really did not like children of morta. it reminded me of the experience of playing one of those FMV games like Sewer Shark where you're initially wowed by the visuals and then you realise that underneath it is just a really lovely simple game

it was just slow and hp spongy and painfully boring so yeah really ideal devs to take over the wizard of legend name lmao

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Morta felt like what the devs really wanted to make was a cartoon but for some reason they felt like it needed to be a videogame. The aesthetics are wonderful and the majority focus is on the narrative and storytelling, and then the game elements are tacked on purely to be a delivery vehicle for that narrative.

Maybe Wizard of Legend got picked up by some animation studio like Vampire Survivors did and so the IP was given to a team that's going to focus entirely on the narrative and art. It makes no sense but neither does a Vampire Survivors anime.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, combat was so so in Children of Morta. I didn't finish it because of that.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

I loved Morta for a while but the grind eventually killed me too, probably 25% of the way through.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I feel like the problem with Morta is that most characters feel like they have about 60% of what they need to suffice on their own without grinding up so your attack damage can make up the difference- I always wondered if this game played better in multiplayer where you could run duos of characters that can cover for each other, like the dad and either of the daughters. There just never seems like it reaches a point where runs feel doable even with safe as hell play unless you can realistically chew through most enemies in a couple hits.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Morta was probably designed 100% with coop in mind, playing through with a buddy was a lot of fun, but trying solo was pretty dire indeed.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
With the new Dungeonmans update it is now playable on Deck! Can't wait to lose some more hours to this game. Runs and looks great on there too!

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Gonna ask here since this is prolly where someone might know it, but am trying to remember an ancient game from times yore.

Not sure I'd call it a roguelike/lite, tho aesthetically and mechanically it sat at the same desk as classical roguelikes. It was ASCII based, but had checkpoint saving at inns/taverns (you wake up from a nightmare) instead of permadeath, and a static, non-procgen world. I remember the level design being very pretty and well done for ASCII. There was a strong focus on story, magic and allot of weird creature designs.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

LeninVS posted:

I'm loving it.
The animations after scoring are so fun.
Iv completed three wins in standard difficulty and 0 on expert. I'm garbage at hockey games but the passive and active powers really make it fun for me

I got to the Act 1 boss only once so far. I'm on normal mode and I'm pretty sure it's because I'm bad at hockey (I can reliably beat the first challenge, but I have at most a 50% win rate against the first 2-period game).

Any tips?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

Jawnycat posted:

Gonna ask here since this is prolly where someone might know it, but am trying to remember an ancient game from times yore.

Not sure I'd call it a roguelike/lite, tho aesthetically and mechanically it sat at the same desk as classical roguelikes. It was ASCII based, but had checkpoint saving at inns/taverns (you wake up from a nightmare) instead of permadeath, and a static, non-procgen world. I remember the level design being very pretty and well done for ASCII. There was a strong focus on story, magic and allot of weird creature designs.

Legerdemain, probably

https://nathanjerpe.itch.io/legerdemain

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

I think that's it yeah!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Quick impressions about Deliverance and Reign after a few runs: Pretty ok? As mentioned before it's two 3/4s of two existing deckbuilders in one package and I think it's competent at both.

Deliverance: A StS-like, but only just. Pick a class, climb the castle. Your starting deck consists of 5 immutable skills (class dependent), and 5 items you can mix and match (that you unlock with meta currency). There's no map; it's a straight corridor of back to back fights up to a boss. You don't have energy so you are allowed to play all your cards, and cards have a lot of keywords for interplay between them. When you kill enough you level up when puts a new skill card in your deck. After every fight you loot the room which typically consist of loot in the form of new cards you grab or leave behind. There are treasure cards which might do something (like a jeweled sword) or more commonly are unplayable but if you can flee the castle they are worth gold, the meta currency. Curiously, one use items in this mode are thrown from the game. They are gone from the whole run. After a boss fight you can flee with your loot or continue and get some strong bonuses for the next floor.

Reign: A Monster Train-like, to a tee. If you've played MT, you've played this. Alaric is the pyre at the top. You have a hero unit. Three floors to put units on with a max capacity per floor. Instead of hitting locations on a train map, you have days between hero assaults where each day is a close equivalent of a typical MT stop. You only play with one clan though; unlike MT where you have a primary with a splash of a secondary clan.

Presentation needs a bit of work. The static art is pretty plain and there's little flair. The text needs an editing pass. Lots of incorrect 'it's' and spelling errors.

In all, I'd say I'm not mad at all I spent 7 bucks on it. For what it's worth I like it more than Creeping Deck.

Stirdog
Oct 11, 2012

New humble bundle for deck builders has some titles the thread has liked. Gives me a reason to try Alina of the Arena

Humble Bundle

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I am not a fights in tight spaces fan but the fact that you can drop down to 12 dollars and pick up chrono ark and alina is a bit of a steal

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yeah i think im going for the $12 tier. fits didnt grab me from the demo and beneath oresa looks questionable.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I liked the combat when I played the roguelike tacked-on mode for children of morta well enough, and the aesthetic did some neat things, but I did not so much care for the storytelling in the main game, especially the slow pacing.

And also somehow the story scripts broke while I was playing it and suddenly I had two new characters that I knew nothing about.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Alina is great. There are two elements of combat which are not obvious but really open up your options:

1) You can swap weapons mid-combat. Just drag them from your inventory and you can freely use them, so long as you haven't already attacked with the previous weapon that turn.
2) You can use Block cards to reload ranged weapons. Just drag the card from your hand directly to the unloaded weapon.

Personally I would recommend using 2-handed weapons whenever possible. The two-color card system isn't great and purely serves to limit the player. 2-handers allow you to sidestep it entirely.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

OneDeadman posted:

Personally I think all roguelikes should have a mode where all graphics are replaced with Ascii or they will be banished from being called Roguelikes

Nah, as long as it's got metaprogression, it's a Roguelike!

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

first win in Achra :toot:

stacking dodge and the triggered autoattacks on dodge was the basic gameplan. later added bleed immunity to combo with the god power for insane damage sustain. healing hundreds on every hit was... plenty

i wish the victory screen and/or the graveyard had more detail so i could review my choices.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Hooplah posted:

first win in Achra :toot:

stacking dodge and the triggered autoattacks on dodge was the basic gameplan. later added bleed immunity to combo with the god power for insane damage sustain. healing hundreds on every hit was... plenty

i wish the victory screen and/or the graveyard had more detail so i could review my choices.

Nice, well done! I've got about two-thirds of the way there with a bleed build before. It's a fun little thing even if I don't get far.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Stirdog posted:

New humble bundle for deck builders has some titles the thread has liked. Gives me a reason to try Alina of the Arena

Humble Bundle

Alina is a good, fun game, but IMO Chrono Ark is the real winner of this bundle. It takes the deckbuilder genre and goes in a wildly different direction with it than most knockoff attempts and succeeds brilliantly.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Agents are GO! posted:

Nah, as long as it's got metaprogression, it's a Roguelike!

I forget what game it was for, but there was a review making the rounds that said basically "I died and didn't get stronger or a reward or anything, don't the devs know what roguelikes are?"

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Luck be a Landlord is super good, Dicey Dungeons is super good, this bundle's great

also I already own both of them

LBaL: 3VNF4-C0XQ4-8AC02
DD: 2V5PG-9G6T2-YL7ME

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Luck be a Landlord is super good, Dicey Dungeons is super good, this bundle's great

also I already own both of them

LBaL: 3VNF4-C0XQ4-8AC02

I grabbed this one. Thank you very much!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

DD: 2V5PG-9G6T2-YL7ME

Took this, thanks. How unusual, two keys posted, two thank yous posted.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Fun with Dungeonmans. I didn't expect the little hooligan monster to call me a wanker. Adorable.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Took about 6 weeks off to play the PoE league and was really hoping for some ToME news now that I've finished it. Alas.

Picked up Path of Achra instead. It's good, feels very sandboxy. Got my first win after about 10 runs with an on-step dodgy lightning man. Took the martial ability for extra hits when moving adjacent to an enemy, had a claw that triggered extra attacks per attack and then supplemented damage with the charge stacking per-attack and lightning damage triggered per piercing attack. It was loving insane by the end, taking one step next to an enemy and triggering like 12 attacks where each attack did 5 more than the last. I also had the Blood god that gave healing per-attack so that was another nice layer of synergy to keep my hp up.

Feels like it needs... something. I guess the variety is in how you choose your starting race/class/god, but the gear feels almost incidental rather than run defining. Also, I feel like it's missing something like Rift Wizard's ... uhhh, temples? Can't remember the name but it makes a certain domain of skills cheaper. So you've got a reason to invest heavily in to this area because you can get a discount on skill points. I feel like I could basically just remake that dude I did and run it again and not much would be that different.

I really like the almost auto-battler nature of it. Some enemies require different tactics, and the different gods offer you some interaction (doubly so with some of the interesting "on prayer" effects you can get) but otherwise you can just kind of wreck levels by tabbing which is a fun change of pace.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Revita

Guess who found out that to get Acceptance's Memento, you also need to no-hit Enigma it's THIS GUY

(I probably could've done it too with my super broken build but my cat decided to run across me aaaaa)

EDIT: Very next run I smashed it. Now to figure out what to do with this Royal Crown.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 08:49 on May 20, 2023

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Kanos posted:

Alina is a good, fun game, but IMO Chrono Ark is the real winner of this bundle. It takes the deckbuilder genre and goes in a wildly different direction with it than most knockoff attempts and succeeds brilliantly.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

MerrMan posted:

Feels like it needs... something. I guess the variety is in how you choose your starting race/class/god, but the gear feels almost incidental rather than run defining. Also, I feel like it's missing something like Rift Wizard's ... uhhh, temples? Can't remember the name but it makes a certain domain of skills cheaper. So you've got a reason to invest heavily in to this area because you can get a discount on skill points. I feel like I could basically just remake that dude I did and run it again and not much would be that different.

You can remake the same build but I think it's a strength of the game. In higher cicles, you will need to adapt to certain specific situations. Your build may be exceptional at high glory, but if you can't survive until there you will have to take survivability skills that may lock you out of certain skill trees.

For the gear, it really depends. The Robe of Dreams is almost mandatory in teleport builds for instance, and it's hard to do without the heavy lance if you are using agility to max up your pierce damage.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Revita made me mad because I was on my best ever run, and after the boss of the fifth area, there was a new guy to talk to who spoke in cryptic words and I accepted the thing and LOST MY GREATEST EVER COMBINATION OF ITEMS YET; THIS THING DESTROYED ENIGMA AND ACCEPTANCE IN SECONDS, ENIGMA DIDN'T ATTACK AT ALL AND ACCEPTANCE DID ONE SHOT BEFORE DYING WITHOUT THE HALFWAY HEALTH ANIMATION EVEN TRIGGERING I THOUGHT I WAS ON TRACK TO MAYBE NO HIT THE TRUE FINAL BOSS BUT INSTEAD I LOST LIKE ALL MY KEY DAMAGE RELICS AUTOMATICALLY AND AM DOING SOME SORT OF NEW RUN AAAAARGH

to be clear, I'm not against something like this being included but maybe like....a warning would be nice gently caress i'm upset

anyway here's a screenshot of that incredible run early on sigh by the time I reached that point my stats were way higher, I had 6 bullets comin out at once, and they all homed in on the reticle making for incredible damage

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

MerrMan posted:

Took about 6 weeks off to play the PoE league and was really hoping for some ToME news now that I've finished it. Alas.

Picked up Path of Achra instead. It's good, feels very sandboxy. Got my first win after about 10 runs with an on-step dodgy lightning man. Took the martial ability for extra hits when moving adjacent to an enemy, had a claw that triggered extra attacks per attack and then supplemented damage with the charge stacking per-attack and lightning damage triggered per piercing attack. It was loving insane by the end, taking one step next to an enemy and triggering like 12 attacks where each attack did 5 more than the last. I also had the Blood god that gave healing per-attack so that was another nice layer of synergy to keep my hp up.

I really like the almost auto-battler nature of it. Some enemies require different tactics, and the different gods offer you some interaction (doubly so with some of the interesting "on prayer" effects you can get) but otherwise you can just kind of wreck levels by tabbing which is a fun change of pace.

funny, this whole post could basically be me. my first win i posted yesterday sounds very close to your build. i also felt like i could probably reroll that same build and have it feel very similar to that run. it definitely does feel like the game is a little thin with maybe too much impact of the deterministic parts relative to the random power you acquire through a run. while item effects are certainly strong, i don't usually see anything crazy enough to deviate significantly from my original plan. seeing as you see so many items and the power level between them is relatively flat, you'll find something to round out your build eventually and until then you can get by through the strength of the deterministic elements alone.

hopefully the fact that this is still early early access means ulfsire still has a lot of meat to add to these good bones

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Rift Wizard 2 seemingly still in the works maybe via the dev's twitter broaching the subject again after some Steam posting back in Oct.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Stirdog posted:

Humble Bundle

Kanos posted:

Thanks for this! I already have Alina of the Arena but Chrono Ark looks interesting.

Might as well give away the Alina key here: 77W5H-X93JZ-M6R4G

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm looking forward to when Chrono Ark is finished in like 3 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Exodee posted:

Thanks for this! I already have Alina of the Arena but Chrono Ark looks interesting.

Might as well give away the Alina key here: 77W5H-X93JZ-M6R4G

Picked this one up, thanks a lot. o/