Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

Goddamn they're trying to reboot Hellboy again. It's remarkable which IPs are never allowed to actually die.

hint: it's the ones whose movies grossed more than they cost to make

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Why bother rebooting Hellboy, just ignore that all the actors are different and tell another story with him in it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
But what if consumers get confused between your product and a prior product? What about new consumers who never saw the origin story in the prior product?? If they're confused they won't purchase merchandise and memorabilia!!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It isn't actually a reboot since it is telling a different Hellboy story.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
wouldn't that be a reboot

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I'm so tired of all these Hellboys.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

feedmyleg posted:

But what if consumers get confused between your product and a prior product? What about new consumers who never saw the origin story in the prior product?? If they're confused they won't purchase merchandise and memorabilia!!

Does Hellboy have to be a demon? Can it be a form that he transforms into when he gets mad?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
And instead of turning red he turns green

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Thoughts from ten thousand feet underground. Tough mudding, extreme sports is a big thing right now. But also being able to play it off as no big deal. nbd. Can we have hellboy do something amazing (he's fit, red, extreme) and just say nbd?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

duz posted:

Why bother rebooting Hellboy, just ignore that all the actors are different and tell another story with him in it.

The start of the first movie is the best part of the whole thing, we need to do it over and over again until everybody is well and truly sick of it.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I for one need another scene of Hellboy's parents being murdered and his mother's pearls falling to the ground.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Only origin movies. An origin movie for the hero. Then an origin movie for the hero’s parents. Then for the parents’ parents and so on. The past is fully owned intellectual property. No one owns the future so it will never be allowed to exist.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Cacator posted:

I for one need another scene of Hellboy's parents being murdered and his mother's pearls falling to the ground.

A silhouette of Satan in the window of my study...

Yes, father, I shall become a Hellboy...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I guess you have to technically "reboot" Hellboy if you want to have his father still alive, and if you want to restart his relationship with Liz. Those would be the two story elements that probably come up where they want to reset them instead of having to deal with the established events from the two Del Toro films.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Just give it back to Del Toro and Perlman. It would be refreshing in this oversaturated Marvel world.

Tambor is the only one you don’t want to invite back.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Casimir Radon posted:

Just give it back to Del Toro and Perlman. It would be refreshing in this oversaturated Marvel world.

Apparently Mignola is not a fan of the GdT films.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also I'm not sure Perlman is willing to go through one of those shoots again.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

hear me out: what if hellboy goes into the multiverse and meets the other hellboys played by the other actors. something something something profit.

CameronisGod
Dec 19, 2022

by Pragmatica

Timby posted:

Who gives a gently caress gently caress him and the horse he rode in on.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

Also I'm not sure Perlman is willing to go through one of those shoots again.

Just have him do mocap duh

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Timby posted:

Weird since he and GDT do the commentary for the first movie

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Weird since he and GDT do the commentary for the first movie

They apparently had a really big falling-out after The Golden Army.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

kalel posted:

hint: it's the ones whose movies grossed more than they cost to make

This list does not include Hellboy.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

This list does not include Hellboy.

Well, sort of. The first two were very moderate hits but also their totals wouldn't have even been impressive opening weekends for a comic book film. They were pretty niche despite presumably eventually being profitable. Yet they cannot let the series die. This is the second reboot attempt. We've all memory holed the one with David Harbour from a couple years back

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Snowman_McK posted:

We've all memory holed the one with David Harbour from a couple years back

Not me, I think about that movie from time to time and hate it more every time I think about it.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

fatherboxx posted:

https://twitter.com/20thcentury/status/1658864957935501313?t=eVFhwXL2bOTV7ajGG3ru9Q&s=19

Gareth Edwards out of the movie jail
It looks good but super generic name and whole movie spoiled in the trailer.. feels like a Blomkamp style flop already

Chappies Rise Up!

Grendels Dad posted:

Not me, I think about that movie from time to time and hate it more every time I think about it.

It looked awful from the trailers, I feel bad for Harbour cuz he generally rules, how is he under that costume?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bad. But the character is bad. He’s Deadpool basically

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
What? No. Deadpool's a snarky weirdo who's aware he's in a comic book, Hellboy is a gruff but generally good-hearted guy who punches monsters.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

What? No. Deadpool's a snarky weirdo who's aware he's in a comic book, Hellboy is a gruff but generally good-hearted guy who punches monsters.

I think Celtic is referring to Harbour's interpretation of Hellboy in his film, not the general character from the comics.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Oh did they screw that up, I hadn't heard.

Like I'd heard the movie in general was not very good but nothing about the main character in specific.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Do they get to the fireworks factory this time

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The creator movie looks like it will have some good action pieces but I hope it would turn out the ai deliberately used a child to gain sympathy with the protagonist

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Oh did they screw that up, I hadn't heard.

Like I'd heard the movie in general was not very good but nothing about the main character in specific.

Harbour did a fine job with the script he was given. He's got a good sense of humor and comic timing, his physical presence was great, and he brings a certain filthy grit to his take on the character that was distinct from Perlman in a good way. But he can't save it, because it's awful.

It's one of those movies where there's a desperate post-production effort to punch up scenes deemed unexciting or dull by throwing in ADR to liven things up. The jokes don't land, and the script was dire to begin with. It was also a really weird choice to begin a reboot with a story in roughly the middle of the comic chronology, but I digress... There's a germ of a good idea buried somewhere in it about Hellboy being out of place everywhere and nursing a grudge at the facts of his life, but it's undeveloped and buried in a slurry of terrible writing and flop sweat. And I'm the kind of person who roots for a critical underdog.

That's not even going into the fact it was edited with a boxcutter, or the lungbutter corpse worm ghosts.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 20, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Hasturtium posted:

or the lungbutter corpse worm ghosts.

do i even wanna know

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sounds like the reviews for Indiana Jones 5 are pretty poor

Can't say I'm surprised, as now Spielberg isn't directing and Harrison Ford is just too old. Also it sounds like the opening sequence where they de-age Ford doesn't look very good.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

does Fleabag put on the hat? Cuz the anti-wokes are gonna be real mad

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Sounds like the reviews for Indiana Jones 5 are pretty poor

Can't say I'm surprised, as now Spielberg isn't directing and Harrison Ford is just too old. Also it sounds like the opening sequence where they de-age Ford doesn't look very good.

The trailers were trash

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

a lovely king posted:

I think Celtic is referring to Harbour's interpretation of Hellboy in his film, not the general character from the comics.

Yeah. He’s very self aware and snarky and quips nonstop through the film with ADR when his face isn’t on screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OyKXQEESE0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alan Smithee posted:

does Fleabag put on the hat? Cuz the anti-wokes are gonna be real mad

And?