Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days: New chapter!

Cthulhu and Girl

Bardiche Hotel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

i am hype for this rakugo storyline

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Those Were The Days -

But Now - WOW!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

EasyEW posted:

Mutt and Jeff

Healthy Behaviours with Mutt and Jeff

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I Hate The Tree.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 10/2-4/50

Archie 5/29-31/47

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Giant Ethicist posted:

Haraiso Days: New chapter!

Have fun translating/localizing a bunch of ancient rakugo comedy routines

Ace Attorney had one of those and I could definitely feel they had to do some stretching

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Doomykins posted:

Rereading the old threads so I can copy my existing imgur links and original notes and drat, it's subtle when a strip vanishes but sad when you remember it was good. Whatever happened to Bootsie? Last I remember we were up to "Bootsie's Big 50s."

I miss Mopsy, and Bootsie, and all of Bill Mauldin's stuff so badly :(

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

LvK posted:

Same here. And also the "But Now, WOW!"

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

rannum posted:

Have fun translating/localizing a bunch of ancient rakugo comedy routines

Ace Attorney had one of those and I could definitely feel they had to do some stretching
Fortunately, all this chapter will really give us are punchlines, and as orphaned punchlines in English don't make sense unless you know the joke either ("Wrecked him, hell, drat near killed him!") I won't feel too bad leaving them as-is. Most of the really famous routines have synopses online that I'll probably link to though.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Things became other things today (at least as far as I'm letting on), so I'm punting on the night shift again.

You still get Out Our Way, though, which today gives us "Oh, come on, sis, what the hell did you even expect?" (November 3-5, 1941)

(Discord for the imgur impaired.)

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

EasyEW posted:

Things became other things today (at least as far as I'm letting on), so I'm punting on the night shift again.

You still get Out Our Way, though, which today gives us "Oh, come on, sis, what the hell did you even expect?" (November 3-5, 1941)

I mean, this is a legit parenting strategy. have the kids run around the block 15 times. Have them playing as they will, so long as you're there to make sure there's not too much of a mess.

Mostly, the brother is doing the sister a major flavor and she'll thank him later.

Shame about Mom's afternoon though.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

LvK posted:

Man I haven’t read Leisuretown in forever

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

(Unlike in English, in Finnish "regular" when used with the meaning "done at set intervals" doesn't have the meaning of "vanilla"/"basic".)

ANSU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Peanuts Through the Ages (Nov 16-17, 1951)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jun 18-19, 1993)

No Big Nate posted on gocomics yet

Blind Alley

Dunce

He burned the what now?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Norwiegan cookies

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Hempuli posted:

Fingerpori

(Unlike in English, in Finnish "regular" when used with the meaning "done at set intervals" doesn't have the meaning of "vanilla"/"basic".)

wait so is it not a regular regular pun? i thought the radio was saying like, the way youre supposed to get regular exercise, nothing about it being vanilla per se

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Hempuli posted:

Fingerpori

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN6jkWxxm2Y

edit: alternately https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtFkW36ZEq8

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

readingatwork posted:

Dunce

He burned the what now?

More importantly, the what Multigroom 2000? :crossarms:

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

readingatwork posted:

Dunce

He burned the what now?
I think these may be machine translated. The norwegian word "snipp" has different meanings in different contexts. The norwegian name for those cookies is "sirupssnipper", which would more accurately be translated as "syrup cuts" or "syrup snips". The translation seems to instead be based on "skjortesnipp" - "shirt collar".

There was also a similar thing a few weeks ago where they had a great tit in the yard which insisted it only wanted to eat beef. This is a pun on their norwegian name, "kjøttmeis" more literally translates to "meat tit".

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Doomykins posted:

Everything is coming up Mudd!

Jules really gave up on drawing that bear, huh. Between this and the tiger storyline I'm pretty convinced a lot of the animal close ups have to be traced. The quality variation between them and animals that have parts in the story is enormous, not to mention the style difference.

I'm pretty sure that earlier in the thread (or a previous one) someone found the reference pictures she'd used to do it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "27 - Jucika and Firewood for Winter."

"28 - Jucika and Short Supply"

W.C. papir is toilet paper.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Resident Idiot posted:

I'm pretty sure that earlier in the thread (or a previous one) someone found the reference pictures she'd used to do it.
I definitely remember finding the reference pictures James Allen used for planes and other vehicles for a bit (because they were literally the first hits on Google for their respective models). The more things change, huh.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/19/03

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 1/4-6/51

A lot of vets were getting called back up for Korea around this time.

Smokey Stover 10/3/54

Everyday Movies 6/5/36

"What! Don't you know coffee is bad for you?"

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 7/3-5/41

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Every day I think to myself "this is the dumbest Invisible Scarlet O'Neil strip".

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (May 05, 1957)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 7/3-5/41

I loving love Invisible Scarlet O'Neil so much, what a powerfully, beautifully stupid strip. I adore it.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Vargo fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 20, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm curious: is airplane mode as necessary these days as it was, say, 20-25 years ago?

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

https://twitter.com/achewoodplus20/status/1659896478914031616?s=46&t=ROMD7FDoKkozpuIEIc9Xeg

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Vargo posted:

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Comic Strips 2023: Ding, my friend. Ding.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm curious: is airplane mode as necessary these days as it was, say, 20-25 years ago?
It’s not quite as necessary, and planes often have wifi that you can pay for these days or use for free for general flight tracking and stuff. You’ll still be asked to stow your devices during takeoff and landing for safety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom