Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
In Raymond Chandler's essay "The Simple Art of Murder," he wrote, of Dashiell Hammett's Maltese Falcon

quote:

The Maltese Falcon may or may not be a work of genius, but an art which is capable of it is not 'by hypothesis' incapable of anything. Once a detective story can be as good as this, only the pedants will deny that it could be even better.

That's how I feel about the relationship between Planescape: Torment and Disco Elysium. DE wouldn't exist without P:T breaking the ground first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Planescape has what is probably the best story in any videogame at all, period. It's unfortunately saddled with some of the worst gameplay of any RPG, but the story is well worth the effort.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's a better story than DE by far. Being in large part "what if a game developer read an introduction to philosophy" sounds trite but is a more interesting Premise than most rpgs and it's got the rare condition of having nearly all it's major characters being interesting. The setting also lends itself to interesting and mind bending vignettes which keeps thi KS interesting.

If you're comparing them, one interesting aspect is the unorthodox nature of planescape almost always works in its favor; talking skull companions, chaste succubuses, arbitrary rules holding immense power. All this lends it immense interest and is used to more or less effectively explore the concepts it deals with; contrasting, the more standard elements are boring as poo poo e.g the combat and some of the more hellish areas.

DE meanwhile has its strongest aspects in the areas related to ones own lived experience in the world; personally things like the Contact Mike trivia are something unstated before in games, and yet if you know someone like that it's resonance is immediate and powerful. But all the setting poo poo is garbage. The pale is stupid, as is the entire fake technological apparatus erected around it. It's the worst kind of world building, the creation of things for the creation of things instead of to purpose. Absolutely abhorrent.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I remember pst combat being, idk, ok? Better than arcanum, about the same as baldurs gate?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Planescape Torment does not have half light nor electrochemistry nor One More Door :colbert:

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Gaius Marius posted:

It's a better story than DE by far. Being in large part "what if a game developer read an introduction to philosophy" sounds trite but is a more interesting Premise than most rpgs and it's got the rare condition of having nearly all it's major characters being interesting. The setting also lends itself to interesting and mind bending vignettes which keeps thi KS interesting.

If you're comparing them, one interesting aspect is the unorthodox nature of planescape almost always works in its favor; talking skull companions, chaste succubuses, arbitrary rules holding immense power. All this lends it immense interest and is used to more or less effectively explore the concepts it deals with; contrasting, the more standard elements are boring as poo poo e.g the combat and some of the more hellish areas.

DE meanwhile has its strongest aspects in the areas related to ones own lived experience in the world; personally things like the Contact Mike trivia are something unstated before in games, and yet if you know someone like that it's resonance is immediate and powerful. But all the setting poo poo is garbage. The pale is stupid, as is the entire fake technological apparatus erected around it. It's the worst kind of world building, the creation of things for the creation of things instead of to purpose. Absolutely abhorrent.

I have never seen an opinion I disagree with more. I also think they both have extremely similar stories when you get down to it (I the main character wake up and don’t know wtf is going on or who I am and now I have to piece this together) and DE does a way better job of building on that than PST does. I’ve played DE like ten times at this point, and I know absolutely nothing will top that first playthrough. From the realization that Harry is a loving stupid rear end in a top hat who plowed his car into the water to the fact that the pale is going to consume everyone and there’s a loving information hole in a drat church. I remember getting to where Mort tells me my deal in PST and it just flat out didn’t hit the same. It was cool though and that game rules but I think it’s just nowhere close thematically or setting wise or anything

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I also played PST the first time when I was 13 and being a drug addled drunk with some kinda brain damage and a never ending existential crisis in my 30’s probably made DE’s whole deal just hit way harder

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

SimonChris posted:

DE is superior to Planescape by virtue of actually supporting several different playstyles and character types. Planescape pretty much requires you to play a Mage with maxed out Int and Wis or you will be missing out on 2/3 of the story. The options to play as a Thief or Fighter are cruel lies put there to fool you (they don't even give you any Fighter armor. The best armor in the game is protection rings that can only be worn by mages!).

You can make the same criticism of DE if you put all your points in FYS and MOT

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Janissary Hop posted:

You can make the same criticism of DE if you put all your points in FYS and MOT

Some of the best moments in the game are locked behind those two skills. I really don't think you can.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

GlyphGryph posted:

Some of the best moments in the game are locked behind those two skills. I really don't think you can.

Especially with the Electrochemistry and Hand/Eye Coordination team up, followed by the Inland Empire assist

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Who can really say what skills are the best, at least until Fextralife finally releases a build guide.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

i am a moron posted:

I have never seen an opinion I disagree with more. I also think they both have extremely similar stories when you get down to it (I the main character wake up and don’t know wtf is going on or who I am and now I have to piece this together) and DE does a way better job of building on that than PST does. I’ve played DE like ten times at this point, and I know absolutely nothing will top that first playthrough. From the realization that Harry is a loving stupid rear end in a top hat who plowed his car into the water to the fact that the pale is going to consume everyone and there’s a loving information hole in a drat church. I remember getting to where Mort tells me my deal in PST and it just flat out didn’t hit the same. It was cool though and that game rules but I think it’s just nowhere close thematically or setting wise or anything

What differentiates the stories I think, is that PT is more philosophical and contemplative, while DE is more personal and...practical? Grounded? In broad strokes, DE has a setting that's informed by our history and its keen insight into societal class-politics (if that's the word) relatable characters and their interactions. PT is about belief, will and how our perceptions affect the world around us and how we in turn are affected by our perceptions.

What they have in common though is that the story is executed perfectly, and DE is the first game I've played that I felt might even be better than PT, and that's honestly the highest praise i can give a game.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
In Torment you can have five different Kims in your party and be loving horrible to all of them.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

none of the planescape companions are as endearing and multifaceted as kim is, they’ve all got more going on than first appearances suggest but I find it hard to imagine any of them having rich inner lives. dak’kon is the most kimlike in both depth and demeanour but he’s a stoic warrior-monk archetype, except the player character invented his whole religion several incarnations ago.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I do really like all of the companions having been molded into what they are by the nameless one in one way or another, except fall-from-grace who mostly tags along because you’re the great wheel’s version of chris pontius

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Gaius Marius posted:

No, wrong. Planescape was very nice, and it deserves lots of praise, but it is so thin in all the ways disco Elysium is relatable and vivid in its vignettes and side characters. So many of the side characters in PST are just 2-dimensional obstacles, with some exceptions obviously like ravel, Morte, uhhh probably a few others. The one thing it still has over Disco is just the d&d fantasy aesthetic, which is fun if you like that kind of thing. Everything in Disco felt more interesting and thematically significant.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

planescape makes up for being somewhat shallow in comparison to DE in voluminousness. I think almost every NPC encounter is interesting in some way, subverting your initial impressions of a character and their motivations to varying extent. this includes the plot-critical obstacle characters like pharod, lothar, fhjull, ravel et al, but there’s a couple dozen alltimer NPCs in the sidequests, not including various incarnations of the nameless one and the guy the nameless one speaks into existence by lying about his name enough times. DE’s characters are deeper but there’s a lot of characters in PT and they’re all neat

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

it would have been really time-consuming to write and maintaining one would run contrary to how many people play the detective but I would have read the poo poo out of an in-game compendium/journal in DE

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Part of it is just that they're trying to do two different things, so which one you think is better probably depends on which thing you resonate with. It's obvious where Kurvitz took inspiration from Planescape: Torment, but what he made is very much his own.

The most obvious thing is the scale. Planescape wants you to really understand just how old the nameless one really is, how long he's been at this, and how much his own personal issues have really hosed up the planes, and to that end, you see a lot of stuff. You get depth on some of it, but the point is you see a lot of stuff. DE really goes in the other direction. There's a background context, there's a rich, vibrant world history, and you get glimpses of all of it, but the conflict of the world is told through the microcosm of this one conflict in Martinaise.

christmas boots fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 18, 2023

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Conceptualization - Failure (trivial):

Gaius Marius posted:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Gaius Marius posted:

Just because you shaved the goatee doesn't mean your evil dimension opinions are not recognizable

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Planescape having cutscenes for lvl 9 spells make it a jrpg imo

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

But all the setting poo poo is garbage. The pale is stupid, as is the entire fake technological apparatus erected around it. It's the worst kind of world building, the creation of things for the creation of things instead of to purpose. Absolutely abhorrent.
What the gently caress?

Seriously, what the gently caress?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I replayed PST recently and what stuck out to me was how much of the combat being bad came down to lovely encounter designs (or lack thereof). They truly just gave up like a 1/3rd of the way through the game

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The cosmology of Planescape is shackled to D&D and the idea that it's better than DE's hauntism and pale is ludicrous, although of course that's going to be a matter of taste, because the D&D cosmology is fundamentally kinda dumb.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

panko posted:

it would have been really time-consuming to write and maintaining one would run contrary to how many people play the detective but I would have read the poo poo out of an in-game compendium/journal in DE

He certainly updated it enough. Why not read the novelization that was just a beat by beat retelling of the game, with TNO's name literally stated as "Adahn"

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

panko posted:

planescape makes up for being somewhat shallow in comparison to DE in voluminousness. I think almost every NPC encounter is interesting in some way, subverting your initial impressions of a character and their motivations to varying extent. this includes the plot-critical obstacle characters like pharod, lothar, fhjull, ravel et al, but there’s a couple dozen alltimer NPCs in the sidequests, not including various incarnations of the nameless one and the guy the nameless one speaks into existence by lying about his name enough times. DE’s characters are deeper but there’s a lot of characters in PT and they’re all neat

Yeah that's the thing that's in Planescape's advantage. I still think DE reveals its magical/scientific/philosophical lore in many many ways, but you're not seeing it up close like you're getting summoned to pocket dimensions, teleporting inside a siege tower, anything with the lady of pain. I need to replay it after having played DE, but I think the unfinished parts like how some companions shake out, and the half implemented faction system, don't help the generally less (relative to DE) universally great writing. There are many great pieces of writing and the overall story is great though.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

It's a better story than DE by far

The story itself? I can see your argument going for terms of setting, but in terms of story, real hard disagree there.

quote:

But all the setting poo poo is garbage

ooooh ok, lol I'm going for the bait

Planescape has waaaaaaay more worldbuilding than DE, especially so because it comes from a setting already established in D&D. It has volumes of the stuff, quite literally. Now, there might be an important tonal difference because we are talking about two different approaches with two entirely different literary genres. If the Pale is garbage, I don't see how the metaphysics of Planescape aren't by the same measure.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

The pale is loving metal, Sigil is cool and conceptually nifty but the whole planes thing kinda stinks imo

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
The Pale??? You mean, the nothing from the neverending story???

check and mate, atheists :smug:

All joking aside this thread might be convincing me to try Planescape again, though I've already bounced off it three times somehow.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sardonik posted:

The Pale??? You mean, the nothing from the neverending story???

"Say my name, Lieutenant Kitsuragi! It's the only way to save Revachol!"

"R... Ra... Raphael..."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

GlyphGryph posted:

The cosmology of Planescape is shackled to D&D and the idea that it's better than DE's hauntism and pale is ludicrous, although of course that's going to be a matter of taste, because the D&D cosmology is fundamentally kinda dumb.

I believe DE's cosmology ultimately also came from a homebrew d&d campaign.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Planescape has waaaaaaay more worldbuilding than DE, especially so because it comes from a setting already established in D&D. It has volumes of the stuff, quite literally. Now, there might be an important tonal difference because we are talking about two different approaches with two entirely different literary genres. If the Pale is garbage, I don't see how the metaphysics of Planescape aren't by the same measure.

You misunderstand how I use world building. It is used in the complete pejorative sense, not the act of world building, but the collation of irrelevant and nonsensical trivia to give the illusion of depth used in DE. Consider, Sigil being a city of Gates has very direct and physical impacts on the player, the protean nature of the city itself is demonstrated in the twisted road from the lower wards, its dichotomous prison/warden nature demonstrated aptly by miss Lady of Pain. If one was to change The Pale, all the Radio-Technology, and psuedocountries for their inspirations, one could tell the same story. It simply uses the so called world building as fluff, it is nothing, even the cotton in a teddy bear has purpose.

DE's so called world building is exactly(pejorative) the same experience as one forced to guide one's drunk friend home; the nonsensical and unending verbal diarrhea erupting from their mouth. Loosely stringed word associations and concepts strung together into malformed constellations of thought, enshrined into one's cosmos of thoughts unwillingly. Neither coherent nor interesting. Somehow it is still brought to the forefront of thought unwillingly with great pangs of regret.

For the DND stuff, I don't engage with nerd culture so I'm not aware of what DND elements are transposed onto Planescape, however the story still holds up.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

:wrong:

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

saying that the pale is fluff betrays a fundamental misunderstanding of the game’s themes and cosmology. the premise of your paragraphs stinks worse than the bronze sphere

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't engage with nerd culture

who wants to tell him

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

The Pale, radio technology, and pseudo-countries all have direct and essential thematic importance to the broader subjects of Disco Elysium, involving the themes of memory, history, politics, and what it means to be a person on a fundamental level. It is established both within the game and without that the Pale is, simply speaking, memory manifest, and the surreal technology level is a direct result of the Pale's influence upon the world. The existence of the Pale I would say is keystone to the world of Disco Elysium, and removing its influence from the game would tell a radically different story.

So yeah, :wrong:

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

God every new post from Gaius Marius is worse than the last.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Youremother posted:

The Pale, radio technology, and pseudo-countries all have direct and essential thematic importance to the broader subjects of Disco Elysium, involving the themes of memory, history, politics, and what it means to be a person on a fundamental level. It is established both within the game and without that the Pale is, simply speaking, memory manifest, and the surreal technology level is a direct result of the Pale's influence upon the world. The existence of the Pale I would say is keystone to the world of Disco Elysium, and removing its influence from the game would tell a radically different story.

So yeah, :wrong:

Imagine writing this whole paragraph without considering that the pale is required for absolutely none of those themes to become manifest; all exist in this world without such nonsense. It's nothing.

Consider how the Planet Solaris influences humanity and it's thoughts in the eponymous work and contrast that to how the Pale fails in every regard one holds it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

not paying attention during the church quest, huh