Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Funeral doom and whales of a sort your say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpGl7saUSig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY2o8HaPfUE&t=2s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxtxpFz78iQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

ughhhh posted:

I'm sure it's due to some dumb USA law but the entirety of the NYC parks department fleet is nowadays F250s. We have some electric John Deere Gators that I have to fight to get assigned, but all the rest is just huge honking trucks that can't even drive through the paths in the parks and I'm supposed to haul mulch and garbage through tiny paths filled with people in a huge battle truck.

We have one smaller Ford ranger at our district that the supervisors use to go around and do surveys. That truck makes sense, but lol, it's due to be sent back and never return.

so im sitting in union square park in today's perfect weather listening to the birds chirp watching the dogs play and i start to hear that loving beeping that trucks make in reverse... and lo and behold its a parks dept f250. reminded me of this post.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Just a Moron posted:

https://twitter.com/WillRinehart/status/1659577200478224384?s=20

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Orcas take my energy ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

orcas rule. real shame that there's probably less than 10 years left on all dolphins/whales existing. the oceans are so polluted and hosed up that big sea mammals just can't exist or breed anymore (and also we can't stop killing them all). stillbirth in whales is way up rn

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

I didn't even need to click the links to know who you were talking about...

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

it would be extremely funny if the album fonts were in comic sans instead

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Scrolling the biosphere thread is more like this, just enjoyin the sights :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDQ0XejFTFU

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Hubbert posted:

solving climate change through invasive species and disease :hmmyes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8zH0116BaA

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

what i learned from the el nino effort post is that my home in minneapolis will skyrocket in value, whjich is all that matters

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Just a Moron posted:

the orcas probably live near something valuable so we need to frame them for crimes

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011

actionjackson posted:

what i learned from the el nino effort post is that my home in minneapolis will skyrocket in value, whjich is all that matters

For every moderately well understood phenomenon, like El Niño, there are a dozen unknown ones. Nowhere is safe. Certainly not the places our limited predictions say will be.

in other words, I hope you enjoy the Minnesota atmospheric microplastic geyser of 2039 or whatever

(except Duluth, it’s climate proof)

Prescott
May 16, 2023

I’m reading the Bible so I can teach the zombies about Heaven.

Zodium posted:

i like building a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Lackmaster posted:

For every moderately well understood phenomenon, like El Niño, there are a dozen unknown ones. Nowhere is safe. Certainly not the places our limited predictions say will be.

in other words, I hope you enjoy the Minnesota atmospheric microplastic geyser of 2039 or whatever

(except Duluth, it’s climate proof)

i'll be dead by 2039 no worries

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

the only sure thing is that it's going to be worse than predicted

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Taima posted:

..snip...

:stare:

Good stuff, thank you again.

What I'm getting from this is that I should do a bunch of weed and psilocybin, invite some of that ridiculously priced Sockeye salmon home from Costco before eastern Pacific productivity hits the crapper, and have a naked funeral feast on the lawn because why the gently caress not?

Just a Moron posted:

About bloody time. What part of "killer whale" was unclear, guys? "Orca" was just marketing wank.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
killer whales should team up with killer bees

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I was watching the local news in Portland and saw this lmao:

I moved here because I love temperate rainforests and their mild weather. Now it gets hot as poo poo in the Spring and Summer, trees have mass die offs, my garden keeps getting killed, we have a smoke season, and it stops raining for a month at at time. The day it hit 115F hosed up a lot of people here.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

<3

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

RadiRoot posted:

And the murder hornets

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

RadiRoot posted:

*a kindly orca surfaces near my boat*

Awwwww :)

*thousands of bees suddenly erupt from its blowhole*

AAAHHHHHHHHH

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

you have to make sure and put the wiggly thing over the second n in el niño (i use charmap) otherwise duolingo will pour sugar in your gas tank

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

skooma512 posted:

Great post thanks man. Lots to think about.

Also something to note is that the jet stream is weird even without this going on thanks to the weakening polar vortex, and el nino is going to make it even weirder. I wonder if models can even keep up with how differently the atmosphere is starting to act

This is a complicated line of thought (jet dynamics are extremely dynamic and complex) but El Nino strengthens the jet and displaces it south. It is by definition not associated with the meandering jet stream that has presented often recently.

The general predisposition is shown here:

And I should say again that we are focusing on the north pacific and its attendant flows and not a worldwide scenario. The jet is a projection, at least in part, of the effects of the atmospheric bridging between equatorial heat and its transportation into the jet flow.

Or to put it more easily, the jet is typically pretty localized, and responds to heat south of it on the equatorial band. Therefore the effects of El Nino, while having downstream effects, are more locally effective directly and adjacently north of it. Which is to say, it affects us the most.

Though it also depends on where the El Nino is centralized. There are numerous +ENSO modes. El Nino Modokai, or centrally displaced El Nino, all the way to a strong EP, or east pacific El Nino. The latter of which is the canonical El Nino and the one that has by far the biggest and most forecastable effects on the USA and adjacent nations.

Ever since the 97-98 El Nino switched us into a new climatology, subsequent El Ninos have been rather uninspired, and often not canonically presented in the far EPAC, which has meant that El Ninos have even been rather detrimental to rainfall in the last 30 years.

If an El Nino is not east pacific based that is normally due to a weakness in the system dynamics- the kelvin waves that push warm water eastward don't have the oomph and staying power to stay lodged against the far EPAC so you get a more centrally displaced event, which in turn effects the atmospheric bridge, which then establishes cell dynamics where the USA has to deal with a falling/non-convective branch. That's how weaker El Ninos and/or centrally positioned El Ninos can show effects far different from a canonical event.

It's important to understand that broadly speaking, El Nino is an attempt to balance the system which is made unbalanced by the trade winds caused by a rotating earth. The equatorial waters are warm on the surface, and then the completely normal west-bound trade winds pile up all of that water in the West equatorial pacific.

This makes the Pacific Ocean literally unbalanced:

Get what I'm saying here? The warm West Pacific waters slosh over to the Eastern Pacific with often great momentum, because the water is literally evening out, which imparts velocity to the packets (kelvin waves).

You can almost think about this like the far west pacific is normally experiencing enhanced El Nino-like effects due to the captive water there. When an El Nino event happens, that water shifts to the east, which then establishes the uplifting/convective branch of the circulation off the EPAC and therefore pumps the jet stream to the north of it due to the atmospheric bridging.

And that's, broadly speaking, the system: water is built up in the west pacific. Once that water gets too unbalanced, it's like a hot water kettle, I guess; at some point the system attempts to re-equalize which throws quickly-traveling packets of warm water eastward, which are called kelvin waves.

Idk if this is even worth describing due to how technical it is. I hope this is of help.

The TAO system is a bunch of buoys on the equatorial pacific that track these kelvin waves and here is where we are now- you can see kelvin waves traveling east and piling up:

It's quite scary, this is very strong for this time of year, and another WWB (western wind burst) is initializing which will push even more eastward, and it's looking extremely robust, look at those westerly winds! Very unusual!

Note: The box drawn on the equator represents the zone in which westerly winds will generate kelvin waves- they must be almost dead on the equator.

These winds are about to generate a typhoon as well!

Which then causes the kelvin waves you are seeing in action here:

^ This image above is easier than it looks. It just shows the equator; warm waters traveling to the far east of the image, which is off ecuador and presents us with our far east-pacific "real deal" El Nino system.

Once these waters establish and the ocean/atmospheric systems are coupled, you then get a steady flow of water to Ecuador/Galapagos until El Nino fizzles sometime in winter. Though El Nino events can last more than one year.

Random note: a lot of people say that El Nino is the opposite of La Nina, even nominally learned people sometimes claim this, but it couldn't be further from the truth. El Nino represents an entirely different climatological regime; La Nina is just the further strengthening of the trade dynamics that already exist in the pacific.

Taima has issued a correction as of 09:55 on May 20, 2023

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Gravid Topiary posted:

you have to make sure and put the wiggly thing over the second n in el niño (i use charmap) otherwise duolingo will pour sugar in your gas tank

ño

Osv18
Jul 23, 2022

by vyelkin

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Taima posted:

This is a complicated line of thought (jet dynamics are extremely dynamic and complex) but El Nino strengthens the jet and displaces it south. It is by definition not associated with the meandering jet stream that has presented often recently.

The general predisposition is shown here:

And I should say again that we are focusing on the north pacific and its attendant flows and not a worldwide scenario. The jet is a projection, at least in part, of the effects of the atmospheric bridging between equatorial heat and its transportation into the jet flow.

Or to put it more easily, the jet is typically pretty localized, and responds to heat south of it on the equatorial band. Therefore the effects of El Nino, while having downstream effects, are more locally effective directly and adjacently north of it. Which is to say, it affects us the most.

Though it also depends on where the El Nino is centralized. There are numerous +ENSO modes. El Nino Modokai, or centrally displaced El Nino, all the way to a strong EP, or east pacific El Nino. The latter of which is the canonical El Nino and the one that has by far the biggest and most forecastable effects on the USA and adjacent nations.

Ever since the 97-98 El Nino switched us into a new climatology, subsequent El Ninos have been rather uninspired, and often not canonically presented in the far EPAC, which has meant that El Ninos have even been rather detrimental to rainfall in the last 30 years.

If an El Nino is not east pacific based that is normally due to a weakness in the system dynamics- the kelvin waves that push warm water eastward don't have the oomph and staying power to stay lodged against the far EPAC so you get a more centrally displaced event, which in turn effects the atmospheric bridge, which then establishes cell dynamics where the USA has to deal with a falling/non-convective branch. That's how weaker El Ninos and/or centrally positioned El Ninos can show effects far different from a canonical event.

It's important to understand that broadly speaking, El Nino is an attempt to balance the system which is made unbalanced by the trade winds caused by a rotating earth. The equatorial waters are warm on the surface, and then the completely normal west-bound trade winds pile up all of that water in the West equatorial pacific.

This makes the Pacific Ocean literally unbalanced:

Get what I'm saying here? The warm West Pacific waters slosh over to the Eastern Pacific with often great momentum, because the water is literally evening out, which imparts velocity to the packets (kelvin waves).

You can almost think about this like the far west pacific is normally experiencing enhanced El Nino-like effects due to the captive water there. When an El Nino event happens, that water shifts to the east, which then establishes the uplifting/convective branch of the circulation off the EPAC and therefore pumps the jet stream to the north of it due to the atmospheric bridging.

And that's, broadly speaking, the system: water is built up in the west pacific. Once that water gets too unbalanced, it's like a hot water kettle, I guess; at some point the system attempts to re-equalize which throws quickly-traveling packets of warm water eastward, which are called kelvin waves.

Idk if this is even worth describing due to how technical it is. I hope this is of help.

The TAO system is a bunch of buoys on the equatorial pacific that track these kelvin waves and here is where we are now- you can see kelvin waves traveling east and piling up:

It's quite scary, this is very strong for this time of year, and another WWB (western wind burst) is initializing which will push even more eastward, and it's looking extremely robust, look at those westerly winds! Very unusual!

Note: The box drawn on the equator represents the zone in which westerly winds will generate kelvin waves- they must be almost dead on the equator.

These winds are about to generate a typhoon as well!

Which then causes the kelvin waves you are seeing in action here:

^ This image above is easier than it looks. It just shows the equator; warm waters traveling to the far east of the image, which is off ecuador and presents us with our far east-pacific "real deal" El Nino system.

Once these waters establish and the ocean/atmospheric systems are coupled, you then get a steady flow of water to Ecuador/Galapagos until El Nino fizzles sometime in winter. Though El Nino events can last more than one year.

Random note: a lot of people say that El Nino is the opposite of La Nina, even nominally learned people sometimes claim this, but it couldn't be further from the truth. El Nino represents an entirely different climatological regime; La Nina is just the further strengthening of the trade dynamics that already exist in the pacific.

this is great and made me understand El Niño in a way I never have before, thank you

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
Taima does good posts, thanks Taima

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Nature fighting back

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I was watching the local news in Portland and saw this lmao:

I moved here because I love temperate rainforests and their mild weather. Now it gets hot as poo poo in the Spring and Summer, trees have mass die offs, my garden keeps getting killed, we have a smoke season, and it stops raining for a month at at time. The day it hit 115F hosed up a lot of people here.

goddamn KGW8, that's going hard

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
Is this the end of lettuce? Why Canada’s food supply is headed for uncharted territory

quote:

“I don’t want to be, you know, doomsaying, but I mean, we are currently depending for almost all of our fruits and vegetables on one small geographic region, which is currently in a drought. And that drought is expected by all estimations to probably be worse over the next 10 years,” says Evan Fraser, director of the Arrell Food Institute and professor of geography at the University of Guelph.

“If California can’t produce and export with the same level of stability and predictability and costs that it’s had over the last 20 years, the implication of that is going to be higher prices and periods of disruption.”

ok evan "doomsayer" fraser :rolleyes:

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
should probably start looking into turning my basement into a hydroponic vertical farm with leds

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

our state just legalized weed (well it's passed the senate and house now, and the governor said he's going to sign it) so now everyone can legally forget about all this poo poo

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Azolla Event is a killer name for a weed strain

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Apparently azolla is intolerant of salt so unless a freshwater layer forms over the ocean the best you can hope for is it getting sucked outta river deltas and buried in sediment.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

actionjackson posted:

our state just legalized weed (well it's passed the senate and house now, and the governor said he's going to sign it) so now everyone can legally forget about all this poo poo

we’ve had legal weed for awhile in canada . the hot new thing is legalizing medically assisted suicide

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Unless it's profitable suicide will remain illegal in the us

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I'm enjoying the uptick in the use of the phrase "uncharted territory" lately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Microplastics posted:

I'm enjoying the uptick in the use of the phrase "uncharted territory" lately

That one rainfall/flood report from Italy where they were like "we don't know how much it rained because it flooded out the rain gauge" was a lil cracko pingo