Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
But seriously, I remember a GURPS thread existing, but I'm also pretty sure it's sunk to the bottom of the forum at best because the GURPS community on SA isn't very chatty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3955634

Found it on the third page of my bookmarks. No idea where it is on the forums.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Last posted Dec 2021. You're welcome to reboot that thread if someone wants to, but it's also fine to resurrect it!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
To honor SJG, you have to post in the Munchkin thread 10 times for every post in the GURPS thread

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I would no poo poo be really into an insane Book of Enoch/Noah RPG. Does that already exist?

For that matter, are there any good games set in bronze age mesopotamia? I've always been interested in that part of history. It seems like you could throw some fantasy bullshit in there and have a pretty neat setting.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Cool Dad posted:

I would no poo poo be really into an insane Book of Enoch/Noah RPG. Does that already exist?

For that matter, are there any good games set in bronze age mesopotamia? I've always been interested in that part of history. It seems like you could throw some fantasy bullshit in there and have a pretty neat setting.

Runequest says hi.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cool Dad posted:

https://joshuaacnewman.itch.io/the-bloody-handed-name-of-bronze

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Cool Dad posted:

Hillfolk? Technically set a little west of mesopotamia, but close enough.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I do wonder if that was what Pratchett was referencing with the Plague of Frog in Pyramids. It was just one frog, but it was a big one and got into the vents.

Also saw a meme recently about how it might have just been one regular sized frog but an utter menace, just going full Untitled Frog Game on the entirety of ancient Egypt.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

SimonChris posted:

My favorite midrash is the idea that the Plague of Frogs was actually a single gigantic frog, which may or may not have summoned smaller frogs later, depending on who you ask. This is because the Torah initially uses the singular for frog, so the only logical conclusion is that God sent Frogzilla to plague Egypt.

Isn't there also a midrash that says "a plague of frog that sat upon the land"?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Xiahou Dun posted:

Runequest says hi.

That's more of the best kind of fantasy bullshit with some Bronze Age thrown in, but yes, just play in Glorantha.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do wonder if that was what Pratchett was referencing with the Plague of Frog in Pyramids. It was just one frog, but it was a big one and got into the vents.

Also saw a meme recently about how it might have just been one regular sized frog but an utter menace, just going full Untitled Frog Game on the entirety of ancient Egypt.

Almost definitely.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

My Lovely Horse posted:

A game in Bible Age with Jesus around can't be very different functionally from playing Forgotten Realms
There were a bunch of doomsday messiahs back then, just give them all magical powers too.

Ars Magica but prophets and disciples.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

It was just one frog but also his twin brother, a bear.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

And one very hungry locust.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
That bear only cares about ONE THING and it's drat KIDS who make FUN of BALD MEN

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Random thought of the day: Which rpg has the best/most fun Necromancer to play?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Not making claims but I've always liked the spirit of 13th Age's Necromancer doing better with low Constitution cause it was a nice variation on how the D&D ability score setup usually goes.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ActingPower posted:

And one very hungry locust.

Deskaris from pathfinder

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

MonsieurChoc posted:

That would be Strike!: Tactical Combat and Heedless Adventure, OP.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I haven't playtested it but yeah, the Strike one looks great. I like that the Necromancer class is also the Batman class.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Halloween Jack posted:

I haven't playtested it but yeah, the Strike one looks great. I like that the Necromancer class is also the Batman class.

Certainly is a good end-run around never killing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

At the expense of everyone else at the table and your sanity as you do all the necessary math, 3.5 is extremely good at letting you build a necromancer with a customized army of undead.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

MonsieurChoc posted:

Comedy Option

(I’ve actually played one, even by 3.0 standards it wasn’t very good :eng99:)

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Xiahou Dun posted:

Certainly is a good end-run around never killing.

“Nobody dies. Nobody’s ALLOWED to die…”

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
As I continue my Shadowrun collection, I keep getting a little bummed that Nigel Findley died so young. He was my favorite Shadowrun writer, no one could write people jandering like that dude.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

As I continue my Shadowrun collection, I keep getting a little bummed that Nigel Findley died so young. He was my favorite Shadowrun writer, no one could write people jandering like that dude.

Right? If you don't have it and can find it, do check out his side of Universal Brotherhood module. He wrote the fluff part and was apparently really hip to how awful Scientology was before a lot of people.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
He was one of the best writers in RPGs. He made settings like Mage and Shadowrun easy to get into with his old school Raymond Chandler style.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
It warms my heart to see Nigel Findley love.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Oh hell yeah, Nigel was the best, and he died tragically young.

He was also a fuckin machine, he wrote so much stuff, like DnD adventures, a ton of 2nd ed stuff like Spelljammer books.

I love all his Shadowrun stuff, but my absolute favorite game book he wrote was GURPS Illuminati. It's just chock full of interesting conspiracy theory poo poo, like secret conspiracies were really his trademark, there were so many of them in his books.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Nigel wrote the original Draconomicon for the FR which is a drat good book, even if it's a bit off in places with its use of Fake Fantasy Latin.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I remember 2XS being a pretty good Shadowrun novel. Think it tied into the Universal Brotherhood stuff?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Angrymog posted:

I remember 2XS being a pretty good Shadowrun novel. Think it tied into the Universal Brotherhood stuff?

Yeah, though the sequel, House of the Sun is one the best (if not the best) Shadowrun novels.

Bucnasti posted:

I love all his Shadowrun stuff, but my absolute favorite game book he wrote was GURPS Illuminati. It's just chock full of interesting conspiracy theory poo poo, like secret conspiracies were really his trademark, there were so many of them in his books.

There's a bit in House of the Sun where the main character is in the office of some loonie, I think the Atlantean Foundation? And is looking at paintings of dolphins and pyramids and stuff and just getting very confused, it was very funny.

Edit: I looked it up-

And it's apparently referring to the actual artist, Andrew Annenberg, which I hadn't thought to ever look up before:

And then dolphins, pyramids, illuminatus!, etc.

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 13:32 on May 16, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dirk Montgomery's so cool. :allears:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I like that he maintained a sense of plausibility in his stories vis a vis the conspiracy stuff. Like in 2XS, if I remember right, the Universal Brotherhood is brainwashing people with this extremely intense new kind of BTL (virtual reality drug). Detective Dirk gets a meeting with a corporate executive who seems to be connected to it. And the executive is like "I'm here to make money, and this stuff doesn't make money because it kills people too fast. Something else is going on."

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

My kingdom for a "Nigel Findley has a Posse" gang tag

Edit: Now that I'm remembering, Dirk Montgomery also verbatim told Harlequin to get the gently caress out of here, which makes him Shadowrun's ultra-chad.

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 16, 2023

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Angrymog posted:

It did. 2XS is also one of the best game tie-in novels ever. Findley was amazing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It did. 2XS is also one of the best game tie-in novels ever. Findley was amazing.

Yeah, as somebody who has read far too many Shadowrun novels Findley was the only one who was able to mix likable characters with actually knowing how the world works. Other novels either did one or the other and far too many couldn't either.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I found my old MonsterPocalypse figures and it's a real shame they messed up with that game, because the minis are really cool! I love the buildings. I was thinking of clearing them out but I'll have to find a use for them one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, as somebody who has read far too many Shadowrun novels Findley was the only one who was able to mix likable characters with actually knowing how the world works. Other novels either did one or the other and far too many couldn't either.

I liked Black Madonna too. And whilst the Secrets of Power trilogy was cheesy as anything, it was a fun read.