Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Groggy nard posted:

The last time Russia rebuilt, it was rebuilt from western companies, all of which appear to have left Russia for some reason!

Yeap, and they won't be coming back.

spankmeister posted:

https://twitter.com/nlwartracker/status/1659863843135275008

Seems like Bakhmut has finally been given up by the Ukrainians.

I guess its use as a place to grind the Russians down has run its course then? I'm not sure what Ukraine has lost defending the place, but hopefully it has ended up being worth it by thinning out Russian manpower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Wasn’t it just yesterday ISW was saying Ukraine was advancing in Bakhmut?

Edit: ISW said around Bakhmut. https://twitter.com/thestudyofwar/status/1659360647493083137?s=46&t=V8ES8-BeP_d613gz-fRrlw

ought ten fucked around with this message at 11:44 on May 20, 2023

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They're advancing in areas around Bakhmut, not in the city itself.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah to clarify, they gave up their last footholds in the city itself, but are continuing making gains on the flanks.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

Yureina posted:

Yeap, and they won't be coming back.
Why not? Remembering things that happened more than two years ago is for losers.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
It wouldn’t suppose me if the strategy is to draw the Russians into occupying a heap of rubble and then surround the city as part of the upcoming offensive.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
situation wrt holding and supplying what was left of bakhmut had been incredibly tenuous, to put it lightly.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

spankmeister posted:

Yeah to clarify, they gave up their last footholds in the city itself, but are continuing making gains on the flanks.

Which is eerily similar to how the Battle of Stalingrad went down. History doesn't repeat itself, but it sure drops some sick rhymes.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

spankmeister posted:

There's no real reason to keep forces there when they're making a pocket out of Bakhmut. It makes me wonder if there's any civilians left there because it's going to give the UkrAF some... tactical flexibility when it comes to what happens with the pocket.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Young Freud posted:

There's no real reason to keep forces there when they're making a pocket out of Bakhmut. It makes me wonder if there's any civilians left there because it's going to give the UkrAF some... tactical flexibility when it comes to what happens with the pocket.

There probably is, but IIRC, the general, mandatory evacuation of the city happened months ago. It's an absolute ruin of a city. If UA manages to encircle the city, that would be an amazing gently caress you to RU.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There were a few thousand still living in basements as of a few months ago iirc.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Here's Prigozhin claiming victory. And he can't help himself not having a little of his signature rants.

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1659906652139601921?s=46&t=pGijfoEOWYcqmIkKtMflTw

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

spankmeister posted:

Here's Prigozhin claiming victory. And he can't help himself not having a little of his signature rants.

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1659906652139601921?s=46&t=pGijfoEOWYcqmIkKtMflTw

Congratulations. Now you get to repeat the effort for every populated settlement in Ukraine. I'm sure you're up to it!

Janky The Clown
Jan 13, 2015

spankmeister posted:

It's a Pyrrhic victory at best. That's even if you want to call it a victory now, because there is still more of Bakhmut that is contested. The Citadel in Bakhmut has been difficult to supply for a while now. and Wagner cut the main supply route over the past couple days.

Ukraine has been making big gains east of Kilschivka. If they can take the wooded position on the occupiers side of the stream (ditch?), that gets them really close to the village. If that village is liberated, its going to put direct pressure on the south of Bakhmut.

Janky The Clown fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 20, 2023

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Belarus rant incoming. I tried to to get back into dating, browse Tinder. What blows my mind is occasional profiles that I see with description such as "all is wonderful, life is amazing". How the gently caress can you possibly feel so well when we participate in the biggest crime of our lifetimes and your countrymen and women are arrested daily.

I think I am becoming severely depressed. I have almost stopped eating. A cup of coffee and 2 sandwitches is my only meal per day for the last 6 day. I only just realized that

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

If you wanna talk about anything, how you're feeling, just rant about stuff, I think many of us in this thread would be more than happy to lend you an ear in PMs. I can't imagine mental health professionals are super available in Belarus but there's plenty of online therapy organizations out there to look into. I can PM you some names when I get a chance to do some searching as well.

Paranoea
Aug 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1659918138173956097?s=20

Ukraine is disputing retreating from the city. Thread has more.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Moon Slayer posted:

If you wanna talk about anything, how you're feeling, just rant about stuff, I think many of us in this thread would be more than happy to lend you an ear in PMs. I can't imagine mental health professionals are super available in Belarus but there's plenty of online therapy organizations out there to look into. I can PM you some names when I get a chance to do some searching as well.

100%.

Folks like Lukashenko want you to despair and feel alone. Don't let them win.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Sekenr posted:

Belarus rant incoming. I tried to to get back into dating, browse Tinder. What blows my mind is occasional profiles that I see with description such as "all is wonderful, life is amazing". How the gently caress can you possibly feel so well when we participate in the biggest crime of our lifetimes and your countrymen and women are arrested daily.

I think I am becoming severely depressed. I have almost stopped eating. A cup of coffee and 2 sandwitches is my only meal per day for the last 6 day. I only just realized that

The majority of people in my experience, simply want to live their lives and not think about anything that’s uncomfortable. Being complicit to war crimes and attempted genocide is pretty uncomfortable to think about if your life is otherwise not impacted.

That you care at all is a credit to you. I’m sorry that you’re in that position. I think the goon above me has a good idea — talking about it with people who understand might help. Otherwise, try and find joy where you can or if you’re so inclined, take whatever small action you can take to press against the apathy you’re seeing.

Godspeed, friend.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Best case, UA holds on to a tiny strip of the former city of Bakhmut. If Russia hasn't fully taken it, they are very, very close and have been for some time.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Why are people fantasizing that Ukraine is somehow encircling Bakhmut? The advances on the flanks are great but nowhere *near* encircling.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Grey Area posted:

Why not? Remembering things that happened more than two years ago is for losers.

This is Europe. People have long memories.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Rust Martialis posted:

Why are people fantasizing that Ukraine is somehow encircling Bakhmut? The advances on the flanks are great but nowhere *near* encircling.

Who is saying this

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Who is saying this

prigozhin and at least a couple of the ukrainian propagandists on youtube which is why I don't think that's plan a. everything depends on where the russian line collapses anyways.

https://nyti.ms/3BI6BaB as content here's a story on the past couple of weeks of fighting.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

quote:

>>> "For 224 days the operation to take Bakhmut lasted - the 'Bakhmut shelless meat grinder. It began on October 8, 2022, to give the battered Russian army a chance to come to its senses by giving us shells. For 224 days the guys stormed that city. There was only PMC Wagner, there were no shells, there was no airborne forces and anyone else who could help us with shells, as Konashenkov said. We were helping ourselves, but not to shells," said the head of the PMC "Vagner" Prigozhin.

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08
292 days by my count. Fun fact, if it takes 11 days more to clear the remaining blocks, then Bakhmut will have tied Verdun, often said to be the longest continuously fought battle in history.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Who is saying this

Posters *on this page* calling it "a pocket" or somehow like Stalingrad before, presumably, a Ukranian Operation Uranus

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Rust Martialis posted:

Posters *on this page* calling it "a pocket" or somehow like Stalingrad before, presumably, a Ukranian Operation Uranus

those are speaking of potential hypotheticals, not things that have actually happened already

maybe you need a refresher on how English tenses work?

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
Pocketing Bakhmut would require such a significant breakdown on the flanks that the pocket itself would be a minor issue compared to the complete inability to get reserves necessary to stop advances around the city. Hell, the frontline isn't even quite flat yet.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

It was my understanding of Bakhmut is that one reason the Russians are pushing there is that pocketing it would be very very hard.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

It was my understanding of Bakhmut is that one reason the Russians are pushing there is that pocketing it would be very very hard.

Libluini's literacy concerns aside, the Russians did try to pocket it, but months of trying to do so made so little headway that they simply resorted to blasting their way in, at a cost we've seen, due to the stiffness of the Ukrainian defense on the flanks. The statements that Ukraine is now making such advances as to trap Russian forces in the city vastly overstate the successes of the UAF. Mostly the advances seem to have been to protect the exit route from the city.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
Looks like Georgians aren't too happy about Lavrov's family gallivanting around their country.

https://twitter.com/Lyla_lilas/status/1659901788357623811

https://twitter.com/KShoshiashvili/status/1659993134040850437

https://twitter.com/EtoBuziashvili/status/1660194887763935237

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1659868465149124608

https://twitter.com/Niamh__Kennedy/status/1660266176906133507

https://twitter.com/geomel_ge/status/1659912910036934664

https://twitter.com/yasminalombaert/status/1659998510115180546

It's nice to see the solidarity here, but incredibly bad that it was cleared to happen in the first place. It seems like it is catalyzing resistance to the flights being resumed as well.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

saratoga posted:

292 days by my count. Fun fact, if it takes 11 days more to clear the remaining blocks, then Bakhmut will have tied Verdun, often said to be the longest continuously fought battle in history.

Woah, seriously? I'd like to think something like that will be newsworthy.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Nevertheless, the Russians seem to have traded the surrounding high ground for the remaining city blocks. I'm not fully convinced it is a favourable trade for them.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

It would be interesting to read an after action report on Bakhmut someday, just to get a feel of whether or not staying in was worth it. It seems insane that Ukraine stayed that long while they had only one road for logistics and it was actively being contested.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

WarpedLichen posted:

It would be interesting to read an after action report on Bakhmut someday, just to get a feel of whether or not staying in was worth it. It seems insane that Ukraine stayed that long while they had only one road for logistics and it was actively being contested.

Til you see how many Russians it took out of the fight and for how long

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1660326383996788736

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Russian leadership have continually complained about escalation, redlines and risk when new weapons were going to be given to Ukraine. To be fair what is left to say to them?

Budzilla fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 21, 2023

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Hard as gently caress.

Hope that replays often in Ukraine and Russia. It shows the resolve of NATO supporting Ukraine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

HonorableTB posted:

Til you see how many Russians it took out of the fight and for how long

What are the deaths from the battle so far... something like 10k Ukrainians and 50k Russians?

I don't always like Biden, but I like when he says poo poo like this.