Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Use DuckDuckGo OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Dyscrasia posted:

How do Chromebooks do with Linux? I've been looking for a tablet of some sort, a Chromebook running Linux would solve my difficulties with various android tablets. What does the install look like? Does vendor matter? Is this all side by side with chrome os?

I use a Pixelbook as my main machine at home. Occasionally I have to boot up the X220 in order to address certain older Arduinos, but otherwise it's just dandy.

If you use the Linux subsystem in ChromeOS (which could be what you mean by "side by side with ChromeOS"), the install is just a couple button clicks, vendor doesn't matter.

If you want to blow away ChromeOS and have Linux running on the metal, it's probably more involved. I've never done this, though.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

There's also Termux if you need a basic unix-like terminal. It runs on android and chromebooks should run those apps natively.

You can also use PRoot in Termux to create environments more like regular distros, but I don't know if the Chromebook kernel has the needed stuff for namespaces and so on to do stuff like run Podman or Docker.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The Chromebook question comes down to "is it an arm or x86 chromebook?"

If its arm, it does all the androidy stuff well, if its x86 its easy to install linux on.

Its basically impossible to install linux on an arm one, because the uefi layer to bootstrap from there only exists for chromeos, and even if you find a replacement its not trivial getting it on, and there is apparently no going back.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

cruft posted:

If you want to blow away ChromeOS and have Linux running on the metal, it's probably more involved. I've never done this, though.

See https://mrchromebox.tech/ for up to date info on which devices have full UEFI roms available. Most semi-recent chromebooks require the battery to be disconnected to disable firmware write protect.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Dyscrasia posted:

How do Chromebooks do with Linux? I've been looking for a tablet of some sort, a Chromebook running Linux would solve my difficulties with various android tablets. What does the install look like? Does vendor matter? Is this all side by side with chrome os?
There's a few different options depending on what you're trying to do:

The easiest way to run "Linux" on a (recent) Chromebook is to enable the "Linux development environment" option in Settings. This installs Crostini, which is a sandboxed Debian Linux container. You can replace Debian with other flavors, like Arch, if you want. Otherwise it works pretty seamlessly. Recently (a year or two ago?) Google updated Chrome OS to serve as a Wayland compositor, so you can run Wayland or X11 apps under Crostini and they appear on the Chome desktop just like native and Android apps do. The downside to this setup is you don't have access to the bare metal so if you need to directly interact with hardware or the network then this might not be the most viable option.

Another option is to run Chrome OS in Developer Mode. This is more-or-less equivalent to running rooted Android, but with Google's blessing, and all Chrome OS devices support it. The main difference here is that Developer Mode directly gives you a root shell within Chrome OS itself. From there you can run "dev_install" to get a barebones Chrome OS developer environment. Since Chrome OS is based on Gentoo, there's an additional set of packages you can emerge too. As a general statement I'd say that Chrome OS isn't really intended to run this way so the software selection isn't ideal. I'm also not sure if you can run GUI apps directly from Developer Mode (that is, I'm not sure if the Chome compositor is "directly" exposed without going through the Crostini plumbing).

Related to Developer Mode is the project Crouton, that allows you to install Debian/Ubuntu/etc in a chroot environment with some better Chrome OS integration than you'd get with plain Developer Mode. This has been something of a moving target for a decade now, but recently (also about a year ago) the project has gone into maintenance mode as Crostini is generally the preferred Linux solution where it's viable, and the primary developer of Crouton left Google where this was his 20% project. Still, I continue to use it on my machines since I can do things like run packet captures.

The final option is to replace Chrome OS entirely with a full Linux install. This may not be a viable option for the very latest hardware since not all Chrome OS driver support may have been upstreamed yet, but it may make sense for older Intel Chromebooks, especially those that are no longer supported*. The key issue with replacing Chrome OS is that the firmrware and bootloader are custom, and you have to replace it with a UEFI-based firmware in order to boot a standard distribution. MrChromebox.tech is the main source for UEFI/custom firmware builds. This method will require you to do a bit of research to make sure that UEFI and Linux are compatible with a specific Chromebook hardware, but on the plus side, it's a much more open-source setup than your typical UEFI-based PCs.

* I'm amused by the idea of installing UEFI on a no-longer-supported Chromebook in order to run Chrome OS Flex.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 17, 2023

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

drk posted:

Most semi-recent chromebooks require the battery to be disconnected to disable firmware write protect.
You can also use a SuzyQ cable but I've always just gone the screw/battery route. (I still run Chome OS on my devices, but I set the GGB flags to disable the Developer Mode warning screen which also requires wp disable.)

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
This could maybe go in the printer thread, but I also want scanning, so here goes.

I'm tired of loving around with CUPS and leaving a computer on all the time to print things. My wife has an iPhone and a Windows laptop, our daughter has an iPad from school and an old Chromebook running Arch, and I have an Android phone and a host of machines running Arch.

I want a (cheap if possible) networked multifunction monochrome laser (or LED I guess) that will let me print and scan from basically anything. I prefer ethernet over Wi-fi, but I'll take what I can get. I don't really want to be locked into any kind of app ecosystem and I don't want any cloud dependence. I would maybe also consider one of those ink jets with the tanks if the ink doesn't blur when you highlight. I would prefer to avoid HP and Lexmark because they seem to always be the two companies trying to use DRM for their own nefarious purposes.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 17, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

There's a few different options depending on what you're trying to do:

[solid advice]

I'm also not sure if you can run GUI apps directly from Developer Mode (that is, I'm not sure if the Chome compositor is "directly" exposed without going through the Crostini plumbing).

You can, but getting all your library versions to align can be a real chore. It is far preferable to use Crostini.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

PBCrunch posted:

This could maybe go in the printer thread, but I also want scanning, so here goes.

I'm tired of loving around with CUPS and leaving a computer on all the time to print things. My wife has an iPhone and a Windows laptop, our daughter has an iPad from school and an old Chromebook running Arch, and I have an Android phone and a host of machines running Arch.

I want a (cheap if possible) networked multifunction monochrome laser (or LED I guess) that will let me print and scan from basically anything. I prefer ethernet over Wi-fi, but I'll take what I can get. I don't really want to be locked into any kind of app ecosystem and I don't want any cloud dependence. I would maybe also consider one of those ink jets with the tanks if the ink doesn't blur when you highlight. I would prefer to avoid HP and Lexmark because they seem to always be the two companies trying to use DRM for their own nefarious purposes.

I like our Brother laser printer. It is networked and works seamlessly with Windows and several flavors Linux I've used. I had to download some files from the Bother website for Linux but it was very well explained, and was easy to set up.

Haven't used their multi function units though.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

effika posted:

I like our Brother laser printer. It is networked and works seamlessly with Windows and several flavors Linux I've used. I had to download some files from the Bother website for Linux but it was very well explained, and was easy to set up.

Haven't used their multi function units though.

I've owned a few different Brother laser printer/scanner and they've all been great with Linux once you install the drivers. I'm doing document feeder scans over the network like a pro

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cum jabbar posted:

I've owned a few different Brother laser printer/scanner and they've all been great with Linux once you install the drivers. I'm doing document feeder scans over the network like a pro

This is good to know! I have a B&W Brother laser that prints like a champ other than sometimes needing to be manually awakened from deep sleep, and have been pondering an upgrade to multifunction.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I've been using the same Brother laser since 2008 and it's been a champ. They support PostScript ("BR-Script"), IPP, and explicitly mention Linux support, so they're pretty hassle free.

Taking a brief look though on Amazon it looks like they might be doing the DRM thing now or at least pushing their subscriptions? I mean, I'm not a high-volume printer I've probably replaced toner once and the drum never, and I'm not so cheap that I wouldn't purchase OEM anyways. But I'd take note of it.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

cum jabbar posted:

In my experience installing drivers for printers in 2023 is the wrong move. Pretty much everything supports IPP, and you don't have to worry about trying to extract some obscure binary from a decade old rpm package.

Don't get me started about label printers that are still super cursed though

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
Thanks for all the Chromebook details, ive got some evaluations in front of me!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

drk posted:

In my experience installing drivers for printers in 2023 is the wrong move. Pretty much everything supports IPP, and you don't have to worry about trying to extract some obscure binary from a decade old rpm package.

Don't get me started about label printers that are still super cursed though

Label printers that speak ZPL II are fine and good as long as you're comfortable with handwriting your label code. Dump ASCII over TCP or serial or serial-over-USB and all is fine. On windows you can use the "Generic/text only" driver that's presumably kept around for dot matrix printers or something, type some ZPL in notepad, and it'll work.

I can only imagine how trashy the "pretend to be a normal printer"-drivers for linux are, though.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Mescal fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 25, 2023

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
"pip3 list -v" should list where your currently installed packages are.

pip normally installs packages in /usr/lib/python3.x/site-packages if you run it as root or in your home directory otherwise, probably in .local/lib/python3.x/site-packages

But if you're using a customized Python installation or virtual environment all bets are off.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

You should be able to use whereis to search your $PATH and find the location of a binary.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
If you have:
-Ran pip as root (or through sudo)
-Installed anything directly to /

then now your system is cursed and nothing will ever work correctly. Give up.
The fact that pyradio launches even though you hadn't installed it yet should be your first clue that something spooky is going on.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Would it be reasonable to use something like truss to track every open call pyradio makes, and grep for the config file name to see which paths it tries - or is that way overthinking things?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

VictualSquid posted:

If you have:
-Ran pip as root (or through sudo)
-Installed anything directly to /

then now your system is cursed and nothing will ever work correctly. Give up.
The fact that pyradio launches even though you hadn't installed it yet should be your first clue that something spooky is going on.

That would be a relief.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
If you're trying to install and run python applications, use pipx otherwise you're in for a world of pain, either now or next time you do a distro upgrade

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Mr. Crow posted:

If you're trying to install and run python applications, use pipx otherwise you're in for a world of pain, either now or next time you do a distro upgrade

Its vaguely (if you squint at it sideways) like AppImage for python

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Mr. Crow posted:

code:
pipx does not ship with pip,
Omg why not? Why do googled instructions say use venv for everything and never mention this?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

It's like Simon Says. Sudo apt install this, sudo apt install that, sudo apt install again, sudo pip3 install oops

I mean, I didn't say "oops" out loud cause I didn't know yet, but you know. It's a habit.

E: I was just trying pyradio again cause of my pride, obviously my system's more important.

Mescal fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 20, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
You can still keep doing things the old way, just tell it --break-system-packages, no big deal.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

So how do I look at my backups and know if they were done before or after i sudo pip'd?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
The best way to recover would be to use your package manager to list python packages installed, diff it with pip and uninstall all pip packages not in that list, then whatever your package managers version of reinstall is for the Python packages. The last part is probably unnecessary but :shrug:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
To be honest ive never had problems with sudo pip but it is potentially overwriting system packages :shrug:

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Mescal posted:

So how do I look at my backups and know if they were done before or after i sudo pip'd?

You could try checking /var/log/auth or /var/log/secure to find out when you ran the sudo command. Timestamped Bash history can also be very useful, put in your .bashrc the following.

code:
shopt -s histappend

HISTSIZE=50000
HISTFILESIZE=50000
unset HISTCONTROL
HISTTIMEFORMAT="%F %T "

export HISTSIZE HISTFILESIZE HISTTIMEFORMAT

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Mr. Crow posted:

The best way to recover would be to use your package manager to list python packages installed, diff it with pip and uninstall all pip packages not in that list, then whatever your package managers version of reinstall is for the Python packages. The last part is probably unnecessary but :shrug:

A minute ago you said I was hosed?

Saukkis posted:

You could try checking /var/log/auth or /var/log/secure to find out when you ran the sudo command. Timestamped Bash history can also be very useful, put in your .bashrc the following.

code:
shopt -s histappend

HISTSIZE=50000
HISTFILESIZE=50000
unset HISTCONTROL
HISTTIMEFORMAT="%F %T "

export HISTSIZE HISTFILESIZE HISTTIMEFORMAT

Good tip ty. Excellent tip.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Mescal posted:

A minute ago you said I was hosed?

No?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I did say you are hosed, because you do not sound skilled enough to fix whatever you have done with your system without reinstalling.

Anyway I checked the pyradio github and followed the instructions there and here is how it looks on a not cursed system. And it automatically created the config file when I started pyradio the first time, as promised by the manual.
code:
~ $ pamac install pyradio
Transaction successfully finished.
~ $ ls ~/.config/pyradio
ls: cannot access '/home/tobias/.config/pyradio': No such file or directory
~ [2]$ pyradio
Reading config...
Reading playlist...

Thank you for using PyRadio. Cheers!
~ $ ls ~/.config/pyradio/
config  data/  stations.csv  themes/
~ $ 

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 11:18 on May 20, 2023

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Am I crazy or are 9/10 Nix users insufferable elitist pricks? I'm in a discord that the Dev for Fleek uses which is a wrapper for Nix's home manager which allows you to use imperative commands like a regular package manager to create the declarative Nix file. It basically simplifies the dreadfully complex Nix workflow into simple "install this" or "update" commands while still producing a reproducible nix file you can upload to github to rebuild your installed environment easily.

I don't personally use this because I don't have a complicated setup that can't be easily recreated with a handful of flathub installs.

However the discord is just a constant stream of Nix users driving by saying they are using Nix wrong and they should shut down the project or not use it.

Every other place I've seen Nix come up its just the users interjecting in unrelated topics to espouse the superiority of Nix over ostree or whatever.

Is this the experience other folks have had with the Nix userbase too?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I use Arch

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Am I crazy or are 9/10 Nix users insufferable elitist pricks? I'm in a discord that the Dev for Fleek uses which is a wrapper for Nix's home manager which allows you to use imperative commands like a regular package manager to create the declarative Nix file. It basically simplifies the dreadfully complex Nix workflow into simple "install this" or "update" commands while still producing a reproducible nix file you can upload to github to rebuild your installed environment easily.

I don't personally use this because I don't have a complicated setup that can't be easily recreated with a handful of flathub installs.

However the discord is just a constant stream of Nix users driving by saying they are using Nix wrong and they should shut down the project or not use it.

Every other place I've seen Nix come up its just the users interjecting in unrelated topics to espouse the superiority of Nix over ostree or whatever.

I haven't had the pleasure, but this seems like a general problem with any project that invents a different way to do something, especially if it has a clear philosophy of how things work now - people get weirdly invested.
(This is not limited to software.)

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

This sounds like every software project ever, except mod_virgule

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Wow I literally forgot Advogato existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Raph is a cool dude and working with his code was a real pleasure.