Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Cool machine but how about leaving the coal in the loving ground

Edit: gently caress what a lovely snipe

Recursive safety poster:

GotLag fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

GD_American posted:

Why does it say "advance a road" and not "cut a tunnel"

I believe a road is a specific type of tunnel.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It's not an anal railgun since there's no lorentz force.

If you want to go with an acronym,

MAgnetcially Displaced DIldo/CoCK, or

MAD DICK

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

senrath posted:

I believe a road is a specific type of tunnel.

I guess it's a UK/US thing. To us a road is something that you lay down inside a tunnel.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

In coal mining, the headway you cut into the seam in the form of long horizontal planes is referred to as "road", hence the term "roadheader"

I base this on absolutely nothing.

/edit:
I'm surprised noone has made a roadheader joke yet

/edit2:
Roadheader is what your mom gives lol gottem

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 20, 2023

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Well, poo poo. Consider me corrected

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Invalid Validation posted:

Say goodbye to your lungs I guess.

One of the shots seems to show a spray of water on the spinning bits, I think that’s a pretty typical technique for keeping bitsy fragments of rock from staying airborne too long

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

prisoner of waffles posted:

One of the shots seems to show a spray of water on the spinning bits,

That's cum, the machine is cumming while cutting

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Budgies are apparently also quite fond of cooked chicken and will steal it off your plate. Or maybe my partner just grew up with especially bloodthirsty ones.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Computer viking posted:

Budgies are apparently also quite fond of cooked chicken and will steal it off your plate. Or maybe my partner just grew up with especially bloodthirsty ones.

yes but i think the 'joke' is cannibalism and budgies are not chickens

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

A relative of mine owns a parrot and I did once get to see this bird eating a chicken drumstick while holding it in his own talons. Some very funny symmetry there

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Computer viking posted:

It's not weird for birds to eat other birds. We're mammals and eat other mammals routinely. People have a habit of viewing birds monolithically for some reason, rather than the diverse creatures that they are.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

There Bias Two posted:

It's not weird for birds to eat other birds. We're mammals and eat other mammals routinely. People have a habit of viewing birds monolithically for some reason, rather than the diverse creatures that they are.

Cornell has a hawk cam running right now and a few times the parents have brought a baby from a different species of bird to feed their babies. Hawk version of veal parm.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

There Bias Two posted:

You wouldn't eat a goon if sprayed with No Pick'n hydrogel spray from DURVET

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Reminder that birds are dinosaurs.

And I mean literally. Like the most current scientific classification for the clade is that birds are not only related to or descended from dinosaurs, but are the only remaining living dinosaurs.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Sagebrush posted:

And I mean literally. Like the most current scientific classification for the clade is that birds are not only related to or descended from dinosaurs, but are the only remaining living dinosaurs.

I was at my mom's house in the mountains and one of her chickens straight caught a mouse and ate it whole, it was some real-rear end dinosaur poo poo and I used to work with birds of prey so I was kinda used to stuff like that but man, nothing prepares you for watching a chicken t-rex a live mouse in the wild

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Wolf taming meme but instead it's a velociraptor turned into a chicken.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Have you seen current reconstructions of velociraptor? It basically is a chicken.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

There Bias Two posted:

Did y’all know that many types of fish eat other fish???

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Sagebrush posted:

Alright egghead, explain that poo poo.
Like these birds, chickens, sparrows, hawks, ostriches etc weren't actually living during the dinosaur age. There were probably other birds (as we know them to be today) living then, but are they all dead now? Are there still some bird species that lived during dinosaur times that are still around?

I know there are some fish that currently exist that were also living during the dinosaur times, like Bowfin, and Gar. People alwas call them "dinosaurs" because they were around back then. Are they not considered actually dinosaurs because they're fish, and don't breathe air with lungs?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

wesleywillis posted:

Like these birds, chickens, sparrows, hawks, ostriches etc weren't actually living during the dinosaur age. There were probably other birds (as we know them to be today) living then, but are they all dead now? Are there still some bird species that lived during dinosaur times that are still around?

I know there are some fish that currently exist that were also living during the dinosaur times, like Bowfin, and Gar. People alwas call them "dinosaurs" because they were around back then. Are they not considered actually dinosaurs because they're fish, and don't breathe air with lungs?

No waterborne creatures are called plesiosaurs

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sagebrush posted:

Have you seen current reconstructions of velociraptor? It basically is a chicken.

Pfft, lame. I've owned roosters scarier than that thing

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://i.imgur.com/dlCyNQQ.mp4

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Sagebrush posted:

I'm not entirely sure that T-posing aggressively at a velociraptor is the correct approach, but who am I to question a workplace safety poster?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Quorum posted:

I'm not entirely sure that T-posing aggressively at a velociraptor is the correct approach, but who am I to question a workplace safety poster?

Don't worry, nothing of value will be lost if he's eaten.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Pfft, lame. I've owned roosters scarier than that thing

tbf velociraptor did have teeth

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
a whole bunch of animals that we call herbivores will opportunistically eat meat if given the chance, it's pretty normal

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Well, sure: they're a bunch of animals.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

wesleywillis posted:

okay so the thing is YES there were other birds living before the K-T extinction event and all modern birds are directly descended from the survivors, which you already knew

'dinosaur' can in common usage mean 'alive at the time of the dinosaurs or otherwise prehistoric' but as a scientific term specifically it refers to the creatures and their descendents of clade dinosauria, the majority of which are ornithischian (bird-hipped, gallimimus and pachycephalosaurus, all extinct), sauropod/saurischian (lizard-footed/hipped, brontosaurus and ankylosaurus, all extinct) and theropods (beast-footed, velociraptor and tyrannosaurus rex, mostly extinct); all birds are descended from theropods, and are thus cladistically dinosaurs; from the fossil record there are about three dozen basal species of what we would call birds well-represented but the vast majority of modern birds look way different so,

it sounds like the question you are asking is 'are there birds alive today that are not appreciably different from a more basal ancestor who existed prior to the asteroid, a la the coelocanth', and the answer to my great delight is YES!!!

the Hoatzin

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43555660@N00/5479759823/

the hoatzin is native to the amazon and orinoco river basin and the fossil record for them suggests they are the final survivor of their order - they are theropods of class aves but thats as close as they are related to any other bird; while it does suggest there have been some general morphological variation by and large this is the same format that it used to be

these birds hatch with claws on their forelimbs, because their primary nest defensive strategy is to roost about twenty feet up in a branch hanging out over the water and just jump out into the river below if anything comes near, then swim back to the tree and climb all the way back up to the nest

they are capable of fully-independent quadrupedal motion which NO other living bird can do because all of them invented synchronized flapping; when other birds swim they are limited to butterfly stroke technique while the hoatzin chick freestyles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uz_-_FE3UU

their diet is almost entirely comprised of leafs, which again pretty much totally unique; florivory (the eating of flowers and their products i.e seeds and fruits) is very very common but obligate folivory (only leafs as food) is as far as i am aware totally unique among birds to hoatzin - because leafs are nutritionally garbage and difficult to digest, hoatzin have an oversized crop which acts as a fermentation predigester, much like how cows have multiple stomachs; however, the microbiome that helps with the fermentation also make the birds smell awful, giving rise to common names of stink bird and poo poo pheasant

this is in fact a benefit on multiple fronts, because it makes them severely unappetizing targets except in dire need, which is great because the crop is so dramatically oversized that it actively displaces muscles that would otherwise be used for flight, which in conjunction with the independent limbs means they are extremely clumsy fliers and so cannot easily escape predation (hence their 'jump into the river and swim away' strategy)

they are my favourite bird, and while not as directly unchanged as the coelocanth is still pretty drat close to archaeopteryx

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

`Nemesis posted:

a whole bunch of animals that we call herbivores will opportunistically eat meat if given the chance, it's pretty normal

the last big cicada hatching, we had a chipmunk roll up on our deck and munch their way through a couple cicadas who were too slow. not even a moments hesitation.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

You wouldn't eat a goon

True. I prefer lean meat.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

non avian dinosaurs went extinct avian ones didn't

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwy4X4F3mB4

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Shifty Nipples posted:

non avian dinosaurs went extinct avian ones didn't

Also dimetrodons turned into people

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Sound required.

https://i.imgur.com/g57HtOC.mp4

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

MrQwerty posted:

It’s true, here’s proof:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

MrQwerty posted:

No they didn't.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

ellie the beep posted:

...they are my favourite bird, ...
No loving kidding! I loved this whole post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ellie the beep posted:

okay so the thing is YES there were other birds living before the K-T extinction event and all modern birds are directly descended from the survivors, which you already knew

'dinosaur' can in common usage mean 'alive at the time of the dinosaurs or otherwise prehistoric' but as a scientific term specifically it refers to the creatures and their descendents of clade dinosauria, the majority of which are ornithischian (bird-hipped, gallimimus and pachycephalosaurus, all extinct), sauropod/saurischian (lizard-footed/hipped, brontosaurus and ankylosaurus, all extinct) and theropods (beast-footed, velociraptor and tyrannosaurus rex, mostly extinct); all birds are descended from theropods, and are thus cladistically dinosaurs; from the fossil record there are about three dozen basal species of what we would call birds well-represented but the vast majority of modern birds look way different so,

it sounds like the question you are asking is 'are there birds alive today that are not appreciably different from a more basal ancestor who existed prior to the asteroid, a la the coelocanth', and the answer to my great delight is YES!!!

the Hoatzin

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43555660@N00/5479759823/

the hoatzin is native to the amazon and orinoco river basin and the fossil record for them suggests they are the final survivor of their order - they are theropods of class aves but thats as close as they are related to any other bird; while it does suggest there have been some general morphological variation by and large this is the same format that it used to be

these birds hatch with claws on their forelimbs, because their primary nest defensive strategy is to roost about twenty feet up in a branch hanging out over the water and just jump out into the river below if anything comes near, then swim back to the tree and climb all the way back up to the nest

they are capable of fully-independent quadrupedal motion which NO other living bird can do because all of them invented synchronized flapping; when other birds swim they are limited to butterfly stroke technique while the hoatzin chick freestyles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uz_-_FE3UU

their diet is almost entirely comprised of leafs, which again pretty much totally unique; florivory (the eating of flowers and their products i.e seeds and fruits) is very very common but obligate folivory (only leafs as food) is as far as i am aware totally unique among birds to hoatzin - because leafs are nutritionally garbage and difficult to digest, hoatzin have an oversized crop which acts as a fermentation predigester, much like how cows have multiple stomachs; however, the microbiome that helps with the fermentation also make the birds smell awful, giving rise to common names of stink bird and poo poo pheasant

this is in fact a benefit on multiple fronts, because it makes them severely unappetizing targets except in dire need, which is great because the crop is so dramatically oversized that it actively displaces muscles that would otherwise be used for flight, which in conjunction with the independent limbs means they are extremely clumsy fliers and so cannot easily escape predation (hence their 'jump into the river and swim away' strategy)

they are my favourite bird, and while not as directly unchanged as the coelocanth is still pretty drat close to archaeopteryx

:bird: