Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

therobit posted:

New mods haven’t figured out that this forum police’s itself and does not need them except for title changes.

Not true.

Sometimes they have to post a toucan to remind us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Like three doors down is a really good Peruvian place called Lima

Hah, my parents live near you guys and I went to this place while visiting last year.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

therobit posted:

New mods haven’t figured out that this forum police’s itself and does not need them except for title changes.

gently caress those assholes!

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I do try to stay on top of title changes though

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I don't understand how perfection was replaced.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Baddog posted:

I do try to stay on top of title changes though

Legitimately the best part of being a mod.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Beef Of Ages posted:

I don't understand how perfection was replaced.

wasn’t me.

fwiw the natgas posts got a report, it’s not like I’m looking to care about particulate arguments

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Jesus loving Christ who touched that title? And for this lame poo poo?

Smdh

End of an era.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Leon Spinks had to come along eventually

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Sundae posted:

I can't wait to see how many of those houses get sold to pay for long-term care or nursing home bills. Or also fun, how many of those inherited houses are in places nowhere near jobs their children work, so they end up being sold anyway. At least in the latter case, the beneficiary gets some $$$ out of it instead of Davita Dialysis & RV Park.

https://twitter.com/AliWolfEcon/status/1657076301730308098
https://twitter.com/EdWoodson/status/1657081800458420225

That's actually a big problem. Boomer granddad wants to be near the grandkid, sells his out of the way home and moves to a hot coastal metro area where his children live. When he moves, he brings a giant wad of equity from his last home, letting him make an all cash offer on a "starter-sized" house in the hot coastal metro. How can a millennial, who has to actually care about interest rates, possibly compete with the boomer's all cash offer? Only by having their parents (also boomers) pitch in to help their bid.

https://twitter.com/AliWolfEcon/status/1657082826393817088

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 12, 2023

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

golden bubble posted:

https://twitter.com/AliWolfEcon/status/1657076301730308098
https://twitter.com/EdWoodson/status/1657081800458420225

That's actually a big problem. Boomer granddad wants to be near the grandkid, sells his out of the way home and moves to a hot coastal metro area where his children live. When he moves, he brings a giant wad of equity from his last home, letting him make an all cash offer on a "starter-sized" house in the hot coastal metro. How can a millennial, who has to actually care about interest rates, possibly compete with the boomer's all cash offer? Only by having their parents (also boomers) pitch in to help their bid.

https://twitter.com/AliWolfEcon/status/1657082826393817088

Me, two years ago in this thread, saying exactly this by casually observing the world around me

Crazyweasel posted:

This is what I see in New England - The largest adult generation in the US (Millennial) is trying to outbid the equity flush second largest generation (Boomers). Builders offering supply in the form of new homes have shifted from the market of 10 years ago - only being able to sell 1800 sq.ft. Capes to cash strapped new home buyers - to now selling 2300 sq.ft. Ranches with upgrades to retirees for a premium. Example: My MIL and her sister are downsizing from 1980’s family homes close to the city to new build ranches in the other “starter home” neighborhood in our town. Oh and what do you know, 3 of the other 8 houses on that street are retirees from the same town she lives in now! So you’d think “great now supply is freed up” - but the houses they are downsizing from are more in line with what a young GenX/older Millennial would buy after their starter home. It is still priced too high for current first time home buyers.

The picture is about the same for re-sells. In my neighborhood we are about 50-50 with houses selling to retirees or new time home buyers. Same old story, two generations want near-new 2000+ sq.ft. homes with lawns and poo poo. The schools aren’t even that great!!! Nothing else matters!!

To add some content, I’m not sure I see Boomer buying their kids house. I see on average they have a lot of cash for that first one, but having enough money for two, or one + meaningful down payment..idk

Usually their second house is a 1400sqft lake house a couple hours away they bought in 93

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 13, 2023

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Welp I threw money down on a new build, 2bd/2bath, 1100 sqft. I didn't know they still made homes this small so this is great, always wanted something tiny.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Hey guys I need to put some money on the street and get a rental property and I'm looking at Charlotte, NC as an up-and-coming locale. I've never been there and don't intend to live there. Thoughts?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Throatwarbler posted:

Hey guys I need to put some money on the street and get a rental property and I'm looking at Charlotte, NC as an up-and-coming locale. I've never been there and don't intend to live there. Thoughts?

Post the emails.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

There are higher yield ways to invest than a remote rental property. Lower risk too. (Note that rental risk isn’t just property values it’s also things like needed maintenance, damage to the property, non-paying tenants, etc. A mega corp that owns 2000 homes doesn’t really care about the fraction that end up in eviction proceedings, but that can be disastrous to the small landlord with one or two properties)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Can we change the thread title back now

That house is flippin sweet but not as sweet as the old thread title

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Throatwarbler posted:

Is $25,000 a lot of money to you? If so don't be a landlord, especially if you're only going to have one unit.

Can you get to Charlotte in under an hour to fix a problem? If not, don't be a landlord in Charlotte.

Find a CFP to talk to about other options (private REIT? REIG? DST?) if you absolutely need to be in real estate with your dollars. Being a single-unit landlord in a remote location you don't know anything about is a whoooooole lotta red flags.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you're gonna landlord out of state, buy a condo in a large build built less than 20 years ago, or older than 30 AND remodeled less than 10 years ago

Condo doesn't have landscaping you need the tenant to deal with and typically HOA covers everything but the walls in for the structure including the roof

Unless you're gonna hand it off to a property management company and be totally hands off, you should pick something within, maximum, a 4 hour drive, less than an hour is better.

Charlotte is in hyper growth mode right now but my personal (i.e. wrong) opinion is that you're buying on the end of the growth spurt. I just moved out of NC so I'm highly biased against that swampy shithole

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
nothing is compelling you to participate in landlording so I advise that you don’t do it both for your own mental health and also because going in to a remote market and buying up property to be an absentee landlord is a lovely thing to do

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Aren’t there a billion reit etfs? Just buy one of those.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My brother in law just moved to Atlanta and is renting his house out... 7 hours away. I implored him to use a management company but he insisted his realtor "has a guy" to help back on the ground.

I do not anticipate this will end well.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 15, 2023

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BonoMan posted:

My brother in law just moved to Atlanta and is renting his house out... 7 ours away. I implored him to use a management company but he insisted his realtor "has a guy" to help back on the ground.

I do not anticipate this will end well.

Sounds like that realtor's brother is the management company, that's a pretty sweet con they've got going

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

QuarkJets posted:

Sounds like that realtor's brother is the management company, that's a pretty sweet con they've got going

Guess where their current renter came from too?

edit: They are renting it out at $1900 on an $1100 mortgage so that's not terrible but probably all going to get sucked up by one major catastrophe.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

What fresh hell is this https://www.allinoneloan.com/

quote:

It is a 30-year HELOC with an integrated sweep-checking account. In other words, it combines your home financing and personal banking needs into one dynamic tool.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

So glad the banking system is completely over that whole 2008 thing.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Motronic posted:

So glad the banking system is completely over that whole 2008 thing.

We're skipping the part where you buy a house with a regular mortgage and going straight to the part where you accrue an unsustainable HELOC balance, the first part must not have been profitable enough

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Unfortunately that type of product was available from 2006-2008 and I think may have even had an MLM based on it at one point. My wife’s cousin was always crowing about how it was going to help him pay off his house faster because?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

In theory it is a good idea, there are several thousand dollars hanging out in my checking account earning fuckall interest and having that money instead be "earning" 6.25% or whatever by offsetting principal on my loan would be considerably better.

I'm sure that the reality is that you'd lose access to your first-line liquid funds at the first sign of anything close to financial trouble.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I'm just wondering whether they have equity maintenance requirements and what happens to your house and all the money you put into it if there's a market crash and your home value drops below the outstanding balance?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Oldest Man posted:

I'm just wondering whether they have equity maintenance requirements and what happens to your house and all the money you put into it if there's a market crash and your home value drops below the outstanding balance?

I'm sure this is addressed in the documents you sign when using this financial product. And I'm sure it can be paraphrased as: "lol margin call!"

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Selling a farm through auction appear to be almost as bad as the regular house process, but in a different way. Everyone involved seems much smarter, and also out to loving scalp the absolute poo poo out of you in new and different ways. Really different than your typical house realtors/brokers/banks. I guess to be expected, it is a business asset. gently caress.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

who here has bought a home with a significant other, to whom you were not legally married?

in part me your wisdom pls

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

who here has bought a home with a significant other, to whom you were not legally married?

I have not.

Traditional thread wisdom is don’t, unless you’re 100% sure the relationship is gonna last like a marriage is. If you break up in a year or two it’s going to be an absolute loving nightmare.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

As a banker I have seen what happens when those relationships split up and it is not pretty. See also gay and lesbian divorce before gay and lesbian marriage were legal.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The wisdom is "don't, but if you refuse to listen to that you both need lawyers to set up a distribution of this asset which is already codified by simply getting married".

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

We technically weren't married when we bought the house but we got married a few months later so we just sorta took the risk. I think the answer would be to hire a lawyer to draft an agreement of what is to happen to the house if you split. I think it's probably cheaper to just go to the courthouse and get married at that point but I get there are reasons people don't want to do that.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Have a bye sell agreement in place before you buy the house. This applies for any partnership you enter into even business partnerships. Plan the split up before any major purchase.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Speaking of boomers driving prices up...

I'm not quite that old but I am looking for some advice on how best to leverage my current house when moving. We're looking to move for the first time since buying a house. We have no debt. We have ~$100k we can afford to use as a down payment. What we don't have is enough savings to buy the next house. Should we take out a mortgage on the current house and use that to make a cash offer on the new one? Then pay back the mortgage when our current house sells, obviously.

My goal is to end this process with one house and no debt. I've never done this before (we paid cash for our first house because I'd been saving and renting for a long time) so I'm not sure how to calculate my options. Googling around gives lots of advice for first time buyers taking on debt, but I haven't found anything relevant to our situation.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

LLSix posted:

Speaking of boomers driving prices up...

I'm not quite that old but I am looking for some advice on how best to leverage my current house when moving. We're looking to move for the first time since buying a house. We have no debt. We have ~$100k we can afford to use as a down payment. What we don't have is enough savings to buy the next house. Should we take out a mortgage on the current house and use that to make a cash offer on the new one? Then pay back the mortgage when our current house sells, obviously.

My goal is to end this process with one house and no debt. I've never done this before (we paid cash for our first house because I'd been saving and renting for a long time) so I'm not sure how to calculate my options. Googling around gives lots of advice for first time buyers taking on debt, but I haven't found anything relevant to our situation.

I see tons of info searching under “buy and sell a house at the same time”.

Realistically, the best thing you can do is hire a buyers & sellers agent in your area, because they’ll have the best understanding of local market conditions and options for your city/state. Having the same agent for both can also make things cleaner from a scheduling perspective. And they’ll understand your loan options better than most people here.

As far as loan vehicles go, what you’re looking for is called a bridge loan. Since you have 100% equity and the collateral is fully there, I would suspect getting one for you should not be a problem. I’ve not done one so I can’t speak to specifics.

You’ll pay for the privilege, but it’ll let you basically make cash offers because your equity is flushed out.

https://www.pacificprivatemoney.com/how-can-you-make-cash-like-offers-without-paying-cash/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

If you're confident your current place will sell fast, it's also possible to make an offer on the next place contingent on the sale of your current home.

Obviously this makes your offer less attractive to the seller, and if your house doesn't sell in X days the whole thing falls through, but it's another option.