Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

LLSix posted:

I’m thinking of the one with Yaka as the bad guy. I agree it was pretty lame.

Are you counting the tutorial mission? I skipped that one but it make numbering them confusing.

No, I wasn't counting the tutorial, it's the one marked as Story Mission 2 where you're on the island map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
AoW4 had one crash in 15 or so hours, for me. They did release a hotfix largely aimed at stability and specifically aimed at NVidia 3060-3090 models. My 1060 hasn’t been giving me any concerns, fortunately i hadn’t sprung for the GPU upgrade I was considering the past year.

Knight007au
May 8, 2007

Kris xK posted:

I still play a lot of Stellaris, because no one else has a good Star Trek mod (despite the warp lane bs)

Do you know if this is installable with non steam versions of the game or do you need the steam workshop to download it?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Knight007au posted:

Do you know if this is installable with non steam versions of the game or do you need the steam workshop to download it?

There's :filez: for steam workshop mods if you bother looking around a bit.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Ironically enough, the only way you can actually muderface the Toads in the second mission is AFTER you've completed their quest which lets you auto alliance them. I feel like no actually playtested any of story missions.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Does anyone know, in Gal Civ 4 (the Supernova version on Steam) can you create custom civs to be your opponents rather than using Stardock's pre-baked ones? I tried watching a LP on Youtube but still couldn't tell whether there's a way to do that. I'm kinda intrigued by its whole 'AI civ designer' thing, but not so much if you can only use it for your own empire. I know you could create custom enemies back in GC2 but not sure if you could in 3 or in this one.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I've been playing Ozymandias and man it's HARD. It took me probably 6-7 tries just to finish the final tutorial level.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Pipski posted:

Does anyone know, in Gal Civ 4 (the Supernova version on Steam) can you create custom civs to be your opponents rather than using Stardock's pre-baked ones? I tried watching a LP on Youtube but still couldn't tell whether there's a way to do that. I'm kinda intrigued by its whole 'AI civ designer' thing, but not so much if you can only use it for your own empire. I know you could create custom enemies back in GC2 but not sure if you could in 3 or in this one.

Im fairly certain I read something where at the very least ai generated civs you make will show up on other games as AI empires.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How's the Spellforce game compared to AoW4?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Basically an entirely different game. It's much more of an rpg than a 4x although it has a lot of 4x elements. It's like the opposite of AoW4.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Spellforce also has no mods, and hasn't had a patch for two months (still can't rebind keys!). I feel like AoW4 just bodied them completely.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm enjoying the breath of fresh air that is Spellforce, but yeah like Impermanent said, totally different games. If you are tired of the 4X grind, managing multiple cities, always having to expand your empire, having too many battles with dozens of enemies that reduce the pace to a halt, then I can recommend Spellforce.

Design wise I think it's a very good game, getting a new framework that gives the player familiar things that they will like (magic theme, tactical battles, player and army progression, cool maps to explore, some customization) without all the baggage than 4x can have.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 15, 2023

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I took a break to revisit Warhammer 40K: Gladius. Kind of impressed with the DLC- nothing that will change any minds on the game, -the core mechanics are still like they were at release -but as of Dec last year, still putting in factions and not just a reskin.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 15, 2023

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I played both Spellforce and AoW4 and I have to say I kinda enjoyed Spellforce more. The AI is less passive and the RPG mechanics are solid.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

also agree spellforce > AoW4. it was a bummer to see the necromancy mechanics in AoW4 after the cool custom skeletons from Spellforce

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Has anyone played FreeOrion? Is it worth getting into?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I was reading about Spellforce since people were talking about it, and it doesn't look like it has a random map generator. To me, that seems like a really important feature for a 4X. Is that not the case with the game?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Node posted:

I was reading about Spellforce since people were talking about it, and it doesn't look like it has a random map generator. To me, that seems like a really important feature for a 4X. Is that not the case with the game?

Unless things have changed in the franchise, Spellforce is a story-driven RTS/RPG mix, not a 4X, and doesn't lend itself to random maps.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

FishMcCool posted:

Unless things have changed in the franchise, Spellforce is a story-driven RTS/RPG mix, not a 4X, and doesn't lend itself to random maps.

different game, conquest is an rpg/tbs

the map is fixed but the starting location can be chosen and all the events and encounters are random

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
are there any good games i can play on my ipad

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

are there any good games i can play on my ipad

Civ is on Ipad I believe

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Kvlt! posted:

Civ is on Ipad I believe

Yep!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Civilization Revolution 1&2 came out on mobile. I haven't really played the mobile versions, but I've spent a hundred-plus hours in the NDS version, which was great.

There's also Polytopia, which is pretty slight but will be fun for a couple of hours and a whole bunch of boardgame adaptations like Eclipse and Scythe.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Garfu posted:

Has anyone played FreeOrion? Is it worth getting into?

I've played a couple hours of 0.5, the newest version. It is certainly a game that exists, even a game of a year.

It does some interesting stuff, like having star lanes sometimes connect with empty sectors, so a game map can sometimes create a string of backdoors an enemy could sneak through. (And of course, you can do the same)

The tech tree reminds me of how Distant Worlds does things. It's nothing to get excited about, but it also doesn't have any weird gimmicks that often don't gel well with some players, like the cards of Stellaris or the abstract "let the scientists work"-system of Master of Orion III.

The maximum size of the map is 5000 stars, so you can certainly set up games to basically run forever. Since it's still in development, the game comes with a lot of cheating/testing options if you want to go hog wild. (All I ever do is going back and forth on the question "should ships detect stuff mid-flight?" and changing the number of combat turns per turn, since 4 seems awfully short. I can already foresee tons of multi-turn battles clogging up the engine if you aren't cranking this up to at least 8.)

While you can't make custom empires, there's a very MO3-like variety of vastly different species for you to play with, ranging from evil worms over multiple types of robots to humans and gas giant dwellers. There are also some purely NPC-species, like the remnants you could find in Mo3. They can get even wilder, since they don't have to be balanced to compete with the human player. Third-party documentation is poo poo, though. You can look up everything in-game, since it has the typical galactopedia with tons of articles to wade through, but the fan wiki I've found contains a lot of just made-up poo poo. Like telling you there's a species called "England" backwards that has basically super-powers based on how much it stinks. Very funny, but also very ??? to put into a wiki.

Well, what else to say? It's basically Master of Orion, but uses some of the concepts from the third game, like your population just being numbers that influence other numbers. Every planet can basically do its own thing, the player mostly selects a focus, or on the imperial level a political focus that may influence multiple planets, and then you occasionally look at what your planets are doing. Not much micro that could slow you down.

The only negative thing I can think of is that, like in MO3, you can't upgrade older ships. Old ships will just be kind of there, until you scrap them and replace them with new ones.

The devs of FreeOrion made the weird decision to simplify the game's construction into a single, empire-wide queue. So this means while you can, for example, order Xilophon 6 to build a new space yard, the game will only get around to that after Northhampton 4 has finished its new cruiser and Lalande 77 that shiny new research building. If you want it faster, you have to re-order your queue, but then of course Northhampton 4 and Lalande 77 are now hosed instead. On the other hand, the build queue just dumps your entire empire's worth of industrial capacity into this one queue, so even though Xilophon 6 is three thousand light years away from your capital, it will build its new shipyard as if the entire industrial capacity of your empire is right there with them.

It's certainly an interesting approach to balance: You can still build everything everywhere, and as a bonus, your entire empire combines forces for every dinky little scout getting build in your backwaters, but then you have to live with only being able to build exactly one thing at a time, no matter what.

I think FreeOrion is only the second space 4x using that approach: Imperium for the Atari ST has one singular queue for ships, and if you order some, the entire empire collects the resources needed to construct them. Of course, since it's not 1990 anymore, FreeOrion's system works a lot smoother.

You just have to remember you can't do stupid stunts in this game like building 50 colonizers on 50 planets, while simultaneously building 50 warships on your other planets. You have that one queue for your 666 planets and you will like it!

Since it's free, I suggest to just download it and try it out. My little test game certainly was nice enough, I had to stop myself when it suddenly was 2 am. :v:

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Libluini posted:

I've played a couple hours of 0.5, the newest version. It is certainly a game that exists, even a game of a year.

It does some interesting stuff, like having star lanes sometimes connect with empty sectors, so a game map can sometimes create a string of backdoors an enemy could sneak through. (And of course, you can do the same)

The tech tree reminds me of how Distant Worlds does things. It's nothing to get excited about, but it also doesn't have any weird gimmicks that often don't gel well with some players, like the cards of Stellaris or the abstract "let the scientists work"-system of Master of Orion III.

The maximum size of the map is 5000 stars, so you can certainly set up games to basically run forever. Since it's still in development, the game comes with a lot of cheating/testing options if you want to go hog wild. (All I ever do is going back and forth on the question "should ships detect stuff mid-flight?" and changing the number of combat turns per turn, since 4 seems awfully short. I can already foresee tons of multi-turn battles clogging up the engine if you aren't cranking this up to at least 8.)

While you can't make custom empires, there's a very MO3-like variety of vastly different species for you to play with, ranging from evil worms over multiple types of robots to humans and gas giant dwellers. There are also some purely NPC-species, like the remnants you could find in Mo3. They can get even wilder, since they don't have to be balanced to compete with the human player. Third-party documentation is poo poo, though. You can look up everything in-game, since it has the typical galactopedia with tons of articles to wade through, but the fan wiki I've found contains a lot of just made-up poo poo. Like telling you there's a species called "England" backwards that has basically super-powers based on how much it stinks. Very funny, but also very ??? to put into a wiki.

Well, what else to say? It's basically Master of Orion, but uses some of the concepts from the third game, like your population just being numbers that influence other numbers. Every planet can basically do its own thing, the player mostly selects a focus, or on the imperial level a political focus that may influence multiple planets, and then you occasionally look at what your planets are doing. Not much micro that could slow you down.

The only negative thing I can think of is that, like in MO3, you can't upgrade older ships. Old ships will just be kind of there, until you scrap them and replace them with new ones.

The devs of FreeOrion made the weird decision to simplify the game's construction into a single, empire-wide queue. So this means while you can, for example, order Xilophon 6 to build a new space yard, the game will only get around to that after Northhampton 4 has finished its new cruiser and Lalande 77 that shiny new research building. If you want it faster, you have to re-order your queue, but then of course Northhampton 4 and Lalande 77 are now hosed instead. On the other hand, the build queue just dumps your entire empire's worth of industrial capacity into this one queue, so even though Xilophon 6 is three thousand light years away from your capital, it will build its new shipyard as if the entire industrial capacity of your empire is right there with them.

It's certainly an interesting approach to balance: You can still build everything everywhere, and as a bonus, your entire empire combines forces for every dinky little scout getting build in your backwaters, but then you have to live with only being able to build exactly one thing at a time, no matter what.

I think FreeOrion is only the second space 4x using that approach: Imperium for the Atari ST has one singular queue for ships, and if you order some, the entire empire collects the resources needed to construct them. Of course, since it's not 1990 anymore, FreeOrion's system works a lot smoother.

You just have to remember you can't do stupid stunts in this game like building 50 colonizers on 50 planets, while simultaneously building 50 warships on your other planets. You have that one queue for your 666 planets and you will like it!

Since it's free, I suggest to just download it and try it out. My little test game certainly was nice enough, I had to stop myself when it suddenly was 2 am. :v:

Nice, thanks for the writeup. Gonna pass!

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

every time i load up distant worlds 2 I invariably look at the tech tree and I just give up, let it go back to auto and then get frustrated that my civ has been researching space theme parks for 2 decades instead of some space lazer thing which might or might not help me somehow

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Jel Shaker posted:

every time i load up distant worlds 2 I invariably look at the tech tree and I just give up, let it go back to auto and then get frustrated that my civ has been researching space theme parks for 2 decades instead of some space lazer thing which might or might not help me somehow

Watch a series of tutorial videos and learn to play the game pre-warp with all automation off. Then when you get to automation it'll make sense what it's doing and how to optimized it. The game isn't quite as complex as it seems at first. I'd recommend the exact same advice for Distant Worlds: Universe.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

chaosapiant posted:

Watch a series of tutorial videos and learn to play the game pre-warp with all automation off. Then when you get to automation it'll make sense what it's doing and how to optimized it. The game isn't quite as complex as it seems at first. I'd recommend the exact same advice for Distant Worlds: Universe.

When I first dove into DW:U I went full manual, excited to learn all the game's intricacies, but quickly learned that there just wasn't much to do. I was expecting something akin to Aurora 4X based on the way people were describing it, but it's much closer to MoO3 on the spectrum. I had fun with it but I still don't understand why it was hyped as the best and most intricate space 4X game ever when there's more to manage in a typical game of Space Empires, which has been around for what feels like aeons at this point.

Anyways that was a long winded way of saying just dive in, it may be obtuse but ultimately it's not indecipherable.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 22, 2023

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I think whoever said that about DW was leading you astray - there's a lot it simulates that's uncommon in the genre but it's absolutely not Aurora or anything, I think the best way to describe it is as if MOO3 and a Paradox game had a love child (that its AI could actually play).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Node posted:

As people have replied already, it isn't really a traditional 4X game.

But what I wanted to say here is... does it really? An important feature for 4x.
I know that's the expected thing from the genre and what common wisdom would say, but, with the average length of a single game in the genre, I suspect most people (in other words, not the hardcore players that make up 5% of the player base) play 5-10 full games before shelving it (and that's supposing already they liked it, as otherwise, they won't play 5 games!).
So I wonder if a good 4X game with 15 good premade maps or so would be for most people.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

How is Distant Worlds 2 shaping up? I got it when it came out but folks warned me that it was fun but buggy as crap, and needed some time in the oven. Is it a much smoother experience or should I give it longer to marinate?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Omi no Kami posted:

How is Distant Worlds 2 shaping up? I got it when it came out but folks warned me that it was fun but buggy as crap, and needed some time in the oven. Is it a much smoother experience or should I give it longer to marinate?

I know others disagree, but I love it. Universe has more meat on its bones, but to me DW2 is still a fantastic game and I’ve run into very few issues.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

chaosapiant posted:

I know others disagree, but I love it. Universe has more meat on its bones, but to me DW2 is still a fantastic game and I’ve run into very few issues.

Hmkay, thanks! Is Universe still worth getting on sale sometime? It's usually around $3.99 when it goes on sale and that seems like a steal, but I heard that 2 is basically Universe's mechanics, just with more polish & iteration and less content?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Omi no Kami posted:

Hmkay, thanks! Is Universe still worth getting on sale sometime? It's usually around $3.99 when it goes on sale and that seems like a steal, but I heard that 2 is basically Universe's mechanics, just with more polish & iteration and less content?

I think Universe is still awesome just for the sheer breadth of options on how to play.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Yeah, 2 has entirely replaced Universe for me because it's improved in the mechanics, but my main factions/ playstyles in Universe made the jump - for someone who wasn't so lucky there'd be a lot less appeal until they expand on 2, and given all the bugfixing that seems to be taking a while.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Omi no Kami posted:

DWU is more feature-complete but they're mechanically extremely similar (as someone whose favorite playstyle from DWU didn't make the jump), most of the extra features are comparable to what you'd get from a bunch of high-quality mods. $4 is an absolute steal, but if you've got one the other seems kinda redundant.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

DW2 has good bones and the mid/late game works pretty well. But I remain frustrated at what a disaster the early game is.

i played mortalen recently and with some bad traits on my leader i wasn't generating enough revenue to even maintain my starting spaceport. i killed teh leader but of course this lead to a year of civil war. All 'evil' factions have this issue, they are just worse than 'good' factions because good factions get more money and can put that money towards growth incentives leading them to having more money. Also invaded colonies are *massive* drags on income for an extended period of time, wrecking your budget which again limits your ability to apply growth/research incentives owing to how the budget works.

another game i played teekan (?) and early on got a terraforming facility in an event. a princely reward to be sure, but again, it cost more maintenance than i had revenue.

In DW:U, if you do a prewarp start you slowly explore and build up your solar system, unlocking warp drive as you do so. In DW2, a prewarp start means your ships get about 60% of the way to the next planet before you finish warp drive research, meaning those ships just wasted everyones time.

In DW:U, your research grows very slowly with your empire size, so while a large empire always had an absolute advantage a small empire might have an advantage in specific research areas by virtue of owning a high multiplier location. In DW2 your research is restricted by your # of research labs and multipliers are additive rather than override, so your research ability is almost entirely a function of your controlled territory. this also leads to, again, some early game issues; if you do an 'early' rather than a prewarp start your research actually moves slower because you don't get the prewarp-story research locations seeded near you. your research simply grinds to a halt until you find some procgenned locations.

All of this is to say that while I enjoy DW2 and the modern engine is a massive step up, it's also a step back in a lot of ways which is frustrating.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

In DW:U, if you do a prewarp start you slowly explore and build up your solar system, unlocking warp drive as you do so. In DW2, a prewarp start means your ships get about 60% of the way to the next planet before you finish warp drive research, meaning those ships just wasted everyones time.

It might seem like splitting hairs, but this is only true if you're running a game with story events on, because warp speed is already 50% researched when the game starts.

One of my frustrations is of a similar nature where, sometimes a nearby moon or gas giant is just far enough away to take forever to get to, but just close enough that ships travelling there do not engage their hyperdrive.

But all in all, I absolutely love DW2 and I think where it got rid of the right baggage from DW:U without losing the depth. Multiple fuel types comes to mind.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dallan Invictus posted:

Yeah, 2 has entirely replaced Universe for me because it's improved in the mechanics, but my main factions/ playstyles in Universe made the jump - for someone who wasn't so lucky there'd be a lot less appeal until they expand on 2, and given all the bugfixing that seems to be taking a while.

I feel similarly lucky, in that the cute rat race made the jump. Those guys may have three eyes, but they're close enough to count as peaceful trading Skaven in my book.

Still, one of these days I'll need to clear my schedule for a week or two, and learn how to put custom portraits into DW2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

https://store.steampowered.com/app/489630/Warhammer_40000_Gladius__Relics_of_War/

Warhammer 40k: Gladius is free to add to your account forever this week, during the Warhammer event on Steam.

It's a bit simplistic on the civilisation building side and more focused on combat/domination which it does quite well.