Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Morpheus posted:

Wait so is Outlast Trials an asymmetric multiplayer game, of a L4D-like focussed around stealth? I thought it was the former.

From what I understand it's a 1-4 person stealth game with roaming monsters and objectives to complete where you have to complete tasks then get out. Basically Outlast gameplay but you can throw bottles at enemies to distract them from teammates and such.

VVV that was my first thought as a comparison but the vibe is just completely different other than there being objectives to complete and a strong emphasis on stealth.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I never thought that an Outlast game would look to GTFO for inspiration

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Oh that's wildly different, i thought it was just gonna be a dbd knockoff

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I actually really like some of the ideas the game has like the psychosis stuff. I definitely wont be grabbing it early access, but when the game properly releases I'm gonna keep my eye on it. Sounds like it has potential

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwCgfsBLTHE

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Oh poo poo! As someone who likes supermassive and the dead by daylight lore I'm pretty psyched!

https://twitter.com/horrorvisuals/status/1659632388266180632?t=H8EStFfZfmLDd3krtMU8rQ&s=19

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Maybe that’s why Nick Cage is gonna be in dbd.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How much of Outlast's reputation rests on the penises? Seems odd that the third game has actual mechanics to contend with.

I am drunk while typing this. I've always passed on the games even on a deep sale.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 19, 2023

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dead by Daylight has lore?

I thought it was just mashing a bunch of movie and game stuff together.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Trials looks dope.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sakurazuka posted:

Unfortunately.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Sakurazuka posted:

it's paper thin and dumb but it could be expanded pretty easily

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Behaviors writing is as good as their coding.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

A couple months ago I was insanely bored at work and read through a bunch of the wiki and honestly there's some neat ideas there but it's just not well conveyed at all in game due to the nature of it, and the actual writing quality is pretty whatever.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

DBD has a decent framing lore but it's a mess to write because you're bringing 400 characters into it with all the different licenses.

E. Playing the Outlast Trials and can confirm it is as Outlasty as it always has been. Why do you need the night vision goggles drilled into your skull when all your other equipment is just strapped on? Why not?

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 20, 2023

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
The biggest problem with DBDs lore is that it's not easy to see it. All of the lore and stories are locked behind challenges that normal people who don't spend 1000+ hours will never be able to see without YouTube/wikis.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you can find it on their website too, but that requires you to go to their website and screw around for a decent while

approximately 0 people have done that in the history of the game

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

How much of Outlast's reputation rests on the penises? Seems odd that the third game has actual mechanics to contend with.

I am drunk while typing this. I've always passed on the games even on a deep sale.

Gotta be a bunch that also rests on rape and dead babies too.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Outlast II seems like YIIK, a game more fun to rag on that to actually play.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

outlast 2 is one of those games that loops back around to being loving hysterical in how it is trying so desperately hard to be dark and edgy in a way that the first game never quite had to grapple with

"guy crashes into the woods and is alternately pursued by members of The Baby Murder Cult and annoyingly paced flashbacks of a catholic priest molestation backstory" is the kind of thing a first year film student would gleefully write, but somehow a whole entire game got made out of it

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I thought dbd's lore is aaah evil god pick up serial killers and make them chase people for the lolz and magic powers

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Outlast is really dumb edgelord poo poo but also I think that is part of it's charm, or lack thereof at this point. At least with the multiplayer thing it looks like they are exploring some new mechanics instead of being like "all we got is the NVG thing I guess we need even more dicks, rape and dead babies"

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Hey Outlast is one of the few games with dicks so it's aces in my book

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Played a couple hours of Outlast trials with my friends and yeah I def recommend picking it up if people want a fun goofy co-op experience. Very good production values, the levels are all distinct too.

Do not get it if you want to actually be scared because it is not scary though lol.

e: Overwhelmingly positive reviews on steam right now, didn't expect it to be that well received though

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 13:38 on May 20, 2023

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Outlast 2 is one of the most blatantly transphobic games ever made, gently caress that game and gently caress that stupid series. Those devs should be getting twice the hate that Bloober is getting.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Was this just the Val character, or is there more that people choose to forget?

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Yeah, I've (thankfully) forgotten most of the plot, but I only remember the priest molestation, baby killing, and scythe "nun". Val was the leader of the ones trying to "save" the women so the end of the world would happen sooner, right? Based on the other writing I bet there was a note or "flavor text" somewhere that was some horrific stereotype or trope. I'd be interested to hear more.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I think most people, including the devs of the series, would prefer it if we just pretended Outlast 2 didn't happen.

That's why the new one isn't named Outlast 3, because it would imply the existence of a 2.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Outlast 1 was also bad tbf

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I thought the found footage style was cool. Really creepy atmosphere and enemies. :shrug:

Outlast 2 was def not good tho

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I thought Outlast 1 was alright but I liked the Whistleblower DLC. Avoided 2 cuz the demo sucked and it seemed that was for the best.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Outlast 2 has such a cool setting, too. Southern gothic cult horror? Hell yeah, I'm in. It just squanders it so quickly. Closest game I can think of that pulls off something similar would be that one indie game from a few years back where you're exploring your old abandoned cult compound. It was alright.

Give me more cults, dammit.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Outlast 1 was pretty good at the time, it's kind of dated now with the gameplay and graphics but having it be a purely stealth game with the night vision filter was pretty new, and the setting is better than people give it credit for. Everyone talks about the dicks but even at the time people were going "yeah the dicks make you uncomfortable, that's the point". The story went off the rails with all the scifi horseshit but the prison setting was pretty good and grounded. It just was frustrating at times because the enemy patrol routes were so tight and it really was "just sit under a bed for ages and then dash to the exit" several times during the game. That and easily getting lost when you don't see the one piece of crumbling concrete that you're supposed to be using versus all the other ones.

Outlast 2 just saw the gore and figured "well that is our brand so"

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Enemabag Jones posted:

Outlast 2 has such a cool setting, too. Southern gothic cult horror? Hell yeah, I'm in. It just squanders it so quickly. Closest game I can think of that pulls off something similar would be that one indie game from a few years back where you're exploring your old abandoned cult compound. It was alright.

Give me more cults, dammit.

Major agreement. When I think of what it could have been it's a bummer for sure

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

I thought dbd's lore is aaah evil god pick up serial killers and make them chase people for the lolz and magic powers

More true than false. The Entity feeds on the decaying hope of the survivors and the killers are the ones who have lost all hope and submitted to the Entity. That also is why there’s safe harbor at the bonfires or whatever - rest is critical to keeping the survivors hopeful and keeping them from falling for as long as possible.

Ostensibly theres supposed to truly be no way to escape the plane of the Entity but that the part that can always change.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

People throughout time and space disappeared into an unending murder game with no escape from the worst of the worst of time and space is, on the surface, a pretty cool hook

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Coolguye posted:

More true than false. The Entity feeds on the decaying hope of the survivors and the killers are the ones who have lost all hope and submitted to the Entity. That also is why there’s safe harbor at the bonfires or whatever - rest is critical to keeping the survivors hopeful and keeping them from falling for as long as possible.

Ostensibly theres supposed to truly be no way to escape the plane of the Entity but that the part that can always change.

I don't think that it's necessarily that the killers lost hope, they are just the mechanism by which the entity terrorizes the survivors and it pulls willing participants in to use. Some of the killers wander into the fog and just keep doing what they were already doing with some light prodding, but others are giddy at the opportunity.

The survivors get their memories wiped after each match but it's not complete, so after a while I think the entity just stops reviving them.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

CuddleCryptid posted:

I don't think that it's necessarily that the killers lost hope, they are just the mechanism by which the entity terrorizes the survivors and it pulls willing participants in to use. Some of the killers wander into the fog and just keep doing what they were already doing with some light prodding, but others are giddy at the opportunity.

The survivors get their memories wiped after each match but it's not complete, so after a while I think the entity just stops reviving them.

Then you got the dude who did remember being killed over and over again and couldn't stop screaming about it so the other survivors killed him. It's such a bleak setting

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

There's some stuff that the Entity selects people who have the potential to be psycho murderers and essentially pushes them over the edge by influencing events in their life before swallowing them up into the fog. This isn't the case for all of them though, but I know it's supposed to be for some.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

there's some early access previews of amnesia: the bunker out, and it looks drat solid as far as an alien: isolation clone goes

it is a bit annoying that it seems to do the thing i hate in indie horror where the text logs you find in the first few hours of the game seem to more-or-less spell out what the big spooky supernatural mystery is, but i don't know what the full runtime will be, so it might be more acceptable for a shorter game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Doesn't Amnesia The Bunker have procedurally generated "bunkers"? It doesn't seem like it would be too long then.