Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Eat My Fuc posted:

Okada is the best ever world champion maybe. Roman’s run is hurt by the fact that he rarely wins clean anymore.

I think the best champion is cody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Tampa Bae posted:

The biggest difference between NJPW title defenses and WWE title defenses is that NJPW will sneak in someone like Karl Anderson every now and then and have an incredible match while when someone in a similar role sneaks into a title match in the WWE it's because they're "too over" and get squashed as punishment

except that bizarre Triple H vs Taka match

I wonder if HHH's quad exploding changed him mentally. He didn't seem so protective of his spot before that. He did that awesome match with TAKA, did the same for Jericho around the same time. He let himself look silly in stuff like the Angle/Steph love triangle. Then when he came back it was just cranky grunting reign of terror poo poo for 10 years.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Didn’t hunter personally nuke the love triangle angle lol

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

:thunkher:

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Seams posted:

Didn’t hunter personally nuke the love triangle angle lol

I though it was Steph that said it was unrealistic that someone like her would fall for Kurt Angle, but I'm sure he was a part of it.

But he did the funny bits with Steph catching him training Trish and falling into the 69 in the ring and stuff like that during the feud and he never did silly stuff after the quad injury until like the DX reunion and even that was just burying everyone and everything around him.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
saying Trips put over Jericho is like saying Hogan put over Kidman

they might have won a match but spent the entire rest of the angle looking like the world’s biggest geek loser

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

He's everyone's champion

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
they've gotten in trouble before for saying they expected a big rights fee increase and then not getting one. surely this time will be different.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

RealityWarCriminal posted:

they've gotten in trouble before for saying they expected a big rights fee increase and then not getting one. surely this time will be different.

So much trouble they ended up making more money in the end

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
reminder: Pretty Deadly are Pretty Good

https://twitter.com/TheEnemiesPE3/status/1659721067991113728

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Unless rights deals collapse completely I think the WWE gets a raise, especially from USA. Of course rights deals may end up collapsing what with streaming in flux and cable/broadcast TV dying

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I think Fox moves on, NBCU/USA pays up, and Peacock won't last much longer regardless

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Fox does have a feel like it's just giving up and slowly dying as a network/media company so I can see them just passing on big rights and just ridding cheap reality shows till they are completely dead. I really get the feeling they're going to be out on the next NFL rights deal

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Fox does have a feel like it's just giving up and slowly dying as a network/media company so I can see them just passing on big rights and just ridding cheap reality shows till they are completely dead. I really get the feeling they're going to be out on the next NFL rights deal

I mean network tv, as a medium, is dying. The only people that sit and watch cable tv anymore are all old as hell and getting older all the time. Their audience is literally dying.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
It's kinda wild that we're in a time where network/cable television is slowly dying but at the same time streaming, the thing that was supposed to replace it, feels like a bubble that's about to burst any minute now. There's like no security either way anymore.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

If streaming ever had a chance (I don't believe it did, and this era is going down in flames like it deserves) it was definitely not helped by them mishandling it at every turn. Doing it intentionally wouldn't have hosed it up as bad as it's been hosed up at this point, and it's holding on by threads

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s almost as if infinite growth isn’t actually possible, but who are we to doubt number

bartok
May 10, 2006

cool can't wait to see them if they ever leave WWE

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bartok posted:

cool can't wait to see them if they ever leave WWE

Eddie Guerrero esque

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Maybe I’m missing the rules of that match but I don’t feel like doing a double team move in a tag match is that dastardly

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

lol until seeing that clip I thought pretty deadly was the selfie guy and fandango

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Drakkel posted:

It's kinda wild that we're in a time where network/cable television is slowly dying but at the same time streaming, the thing that was supposed to replace it, feels like a bubble that's about to burst any minute now. There's like no security either way anymore.

Checks out for tech replacements *eyes Uber*

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Answers Me posted:

Maybe I’m missing the rules of that match but I don’t feel like doing a double team move in a tag match is that dastardly

I thought the same. It must be singles match? If it's a tag match, it makes no sense.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

I thought the same. It must be singles match? If it's a tag match, it makes no sense.

no it was a tag match lol

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

no it was a tag match lol

Sweet Christ

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
turns out the Dudleys were cheating every time they won, who knew

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

it is high time we institute instant replay for refs in pro wrestling!!

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Remember that one time WWE had a rule for like one week where if the non-legal man laid hands on their opponents for any reason it was an instant DQ no matter what

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Chris James 2 posted:

If streaming ever had a chance (I don't believe it did, and this era is going down in flames like it deserves) it was definitely not helped by them mishandling it at every turn. Doing it intentionally wouldn't have hosed it up as bad as it's been hosed up at this point, and it's holding on by threads

So what is the future?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Same as it ever was.

Quibli.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Pillowpants posted:

So what is the future?

CG wrestling. Ever wanted to see Prime Hulk Hogan versus Roman Reigns? Buy the new WWE app for $17 per month to make it happen.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Writer Cath posted:

CG wrestling. Ever wanted to see Prime Hulk Hogan versus Roman Reigns? Buy the new WWE app for $17 per month to make it happen.

I’d rather watch Satans Tv Network broadcasting Benoit and Guerrero vs Mr Perfect and Owen Hart for the tag titles

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Chris James 2 posted:

A belt existing for 4 years and having both a) that cursed a history already of champs who either mean nothing or didn't stay (a full fourth of the talent that have won it, 6/24, abandoned ship; Sasha, the Iiconics, Kairi, Nia, Naomi) because they felt they meant nothing, and b) nobody ever holding it for even half a year because you can't be bothered to care about booking the division that stably for that long, feels like it'd be impressive if any other company pulled it off
I think the big deal (and this basically applies for the men's titles as well) is that there isn't really any kind of tag division. Almost all of the champions on that list are 'two higher card women pushed together for a while' who, after their reign ends, go off on their own independently to do other things. Dakota and Iyo seem like a 'real' tag team and their recent reigns have at least felt kind of like an actual tag team division being booked but like Natalya and Tamina? :cripes:

I think, and I'm going to loop AEW into this as well, that American women's wrestling can't really support a tag team division because the end goal with every female wrestler is to be the main event solo star on some show somewhere at some point. There isn't any motivation to put two women together for a long run where they work together and develop their styles to compliment each other and work out good matches that they can pull off with a variety of opponents.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

projecthalaxy posted:

Roman's long Universal reign, per cagematch (non snowflaked matches omitted):

1. Roman/Braun/Fiend-2.75
2. Roman/Jey-4.25
3. Roman/Drew-4.25
4. Roman/KO-4.5
5. Roman/KO-4
6. Roman/KO-4
7. Roman/Bryan-4.5
8. Roman/Bryan/Edge-4.5
9. Roman/Bryan-4.5
10. Roman/Cesaro-4.25
11. Roman/Edge-4.25
12. Roman/Cena-4.25
13. Roman/Finn-3.5
14. Roman/Finn-4
15. Roman/Brock-3
16. Roman/Seth-3.5
17. Roman/Goldberg-2
18. Roman/Brock-3.25 (Unified belts start here)
19. Roman/Riddle-4.25
20. Roman/Brock-4.5
21. Roman/Drew-4.75
22. Roman/Paul-4.75
23. Roman/KO-3.5
24. Roman/Sami-4.75
25. Roman/Cody- 4.5

average: 4.19 stars

Okada long reign:

1. Okada/Naito-4.5
2. Okada/Marufuji-4.75
3. Okada/Omega-6
4. Okada/Suzuki-4.75
5. Okada/Shibata-5
6. Okada/Fale-4
7. Okada/Omega-6.25
8. Okada/Cody-4.5
9. Okada/Evil-4
10. Okada/Naito-4.5
11. Okada/Sanada-4.75
12. Okada/Sabre-4.75
13. Okada/Tanahashi-5.5
14. Okada/Omega-7

average: 5.018

My takeaway of this is Dave grossly underrated Okada v Shibata

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Chris James 2 posted:

I believe the only way it ever did would've been monopolies as awful as that sounds. Now that every single company has their own streaming platform there's basically no single service that has enough to keep me happy besides Disney+ which are still pumping out like, one new show every other month + their Marvel/Star Wars/Disney backlog

I'd rather pay $5 to rent a movie I want to watch on Amazon than pay $8-12 to get a streaming service I'll use once or twice that month.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Why did the guy tie himself back up in the ropes instead of just sliding out of the ring or going back to his corner? :psyduck:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

In my mind for a successful tag division you need a dedicated tag division. Wrestlers primary focused on tag wrestling and getting regular time. Bare minimum I think that’s enough teams to run a tournament so 8. Minimum.

But yeah. Womens divisions in America are always a fraction of the mens to start with a disproportionately small amount of tv time. So if they then have them pulling double duty in a tag division with tossed together teams that are all means to an end of a singles push you’ve just got two bad divisions. Or one bad and one plot device.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Pillowpants posted:

So what is the future?

I mentioned it elsewhere during a similar discussion a bit ago, basically a) this finishes falling apart as it's expected to, and we go back to the old ways/pre-streaming which were never bad or inconvenient or expensive and never resulted in en-masse memory-holing (unless companies were just careless as policy, which did happen but nowhere near as often as titles are just straight-up now being deleted forever, outside of piracy, with the reasoning being an imaginary tax benefit that lasts seconds in realtime on their accounts),

or b) this finishes falling apart as it's expected to, and the companies react to their bluff and greed being called and vastly rejected by doubling down on panicking and agreeing to be sold off to the same two or three companies, the system of monopolies gets worse and sped up faster than they tried to make it during this period (instead of where it veered off a bit halfway through, where everyone decided they wanted to have their own chunk of the pie), and those 2-3 companies total are the only ones that have any say going forward when the dust settles

How much their products cost, how long their library is able to be viewed, how accessible it is, how much promotion it gets; it just blends into the void at no mercy like everything else that particular owner swallowed. Essentially the Disney Vault but now applied to literally everyone and with a lot more more-recent stuff being memory-holed, which means actually anything released earlier than 1985 (as opposed to recently where it was just much harder to find stuff from earlier than the 60s) would be inaccessible barring early physical media or :filez:, at a time when the courts are already trying to legitimately also wipe out the Internet Archive, and Google's already at least openly considering deleting all Youtube videos from accounts inactive longer than 1 year 364 days

Obviously I'd rather have a)

NorgLyle posted:

There isn't any motivation to put two women together for a long run where they work together and develop their styles to compliment each other and work out good matches that they can pull off with a variety of opponents.

I agree that this seems to be the case with how the US treats women's tag wrestling in general, and it sucks because there should be. Or at least the concept shouldn't have been treated as a roster-wide "who can we make the Shawn and who's the Jannetty out of these two"

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 21, 2023

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Honestly even men's tag wrestling is still recovering from decades of WWE/WCW booking so Women's Tag Wrestling is starting even further back than that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

WWE is going to miss out on more than a billion dollars because Gordon Ramsay is bringing back Kitchen Nightmares.