Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

you do not in fact need a divine healer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
You do not need a divine healer, but it's universally acknowledged 2-action Heal is insanely strong (and a big crutch if you have it). Soothe also works for Occult, and I like having some form of quick solid heal in any party because it's good for if things swing badly by accident.

Medicine will very much suffice for you out-of-combat.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

There's definitely no composition requirements in the game, my table actively refuses to work together to plan their builds and we've run multiple APs from 1-20 without much issue, we had a divine caster in 1 of them for levels 1-10, otherwise we just made do with medicine. You can't run encounters balanced for 4 players with 3 players, like that's just part of how balance works, either it's balanced for the intended level and party size, or it isn't. You can level them all up and run it as written, that's not explicitly written in the encounter building rules, but if you look at how they work having 3 people level+1 would make the challenge more or less the same for most encounters, except for encounters with large numbers of low level enemies where they'd probably just be really trivial because they couldn't hit, but that's ok, they aren't hard in most cases regardless.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

M. Night Skymall posted:

There's definitely no composition requirements in the game, my table actively refuses to work together to plan their builds and we've run multiple APs from 1-20 without much issue, we had a divine caster in 1 of them for levels 1-10, otherwise we just made do with medicine. You can't run encounters balanced for 4 players with 3 players, like that's just part of how balance works, either it's balanced for the intended level and party size, or it isn't. You can level them all up and run it as written, that's not explicitly written in the encounter building rules, but if you look at how they work having 3 people level+1 would make the challenge more or less the same for most encounters, except for encounters with large numbers of low level enemies where they'd probably just be really trivial because they couldn't hit, but that's ok, they aren't hard in most cases regardless.

Thanks for confirming the encounter budget is about right there for 3 people at +1. That's my plan, so we'll see how it goes. Now of course I'm anticipating Foundry loving me with unbelievably cold dice for the NPCs and trivializing the next level or two.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Rescue Toaster posted:

Unfortunately nobody can use any healing items at all because of the abject stupidity of listening to the internet saying "Oh it's ok, you don't need a dedicated divine healer, medicine is great!"

I mean, it's sort of true in the sense everybody dies in one round, often in one hit, so there's no time/chance to heal anybody in combat anyway. Wand of healing, scrolls of heal, etc... can't be used without a divine or primal caster. Potions are fine except it does require a character living an entire round after taking damage.

Medicine also only works in combat if the damage is spread around, due to the battle medicine cooldown. Except if the damage is being 'spread around' that means characters are dropping left and right since nobody except a dedicated martial/tank can take more than one hit.

You don’t need a caster able to pop heal, its just a handy training wheel for PF2 as you internalise the game. What’s the party? No primal or occult caster either?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I gm'd a party through Alkenstar (levels 1-10) whose only healing was medicine.

One player took Medic dedication and the frontliners took Godless Healing. It worked great.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Has anyone used the Pathfinder Nexus Alpha character builder? Looks like it's moving to beta soon. I'm curious how it compares to Pathbuilder?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Has anyone used the Pathfinder Nexus Alpha character builder? Looks like it's moving to beta soon. I'm curious how it compares to Pathbuilder?

My understanding is you'll have to rebuy the sourcebooks on their platform (admittedly with a discount if you own the PDFs already), which automatically loses out to Pathbuilder for me.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Hell yeah!

https://twitter.com/PaizoWorkers/status/1659320090532413441

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Not enough options yet and it's not clear just how much is from "this is an Alpha" versus "you will have to buy the sourcebooks at markup to use these features."

It's also clearly made/modeled by the D&DBeyond folk, and while that's good in some respects it does mean it's fixed-width sidebar hell for a lot of pop-ups. There's a reason Pathbuilder and Wanderer's Guide straight-up bring you bigger windows-- no one except diehards are reading margins of footnotes like we're actually reading Middles Ages literature.

The sidebar problem extends to the item list too, which was workable in D&DBeyond as "oh well gently caress it, just ignore it for the most part, who relies on consumable items anyway?" but is now a big problem because items in Pathfinder are basically their own crucial subsystem for adding specificity and utility to characters.

I've been meaning to do a more comprehensive write-up for feedback to the devs but it's a decent amount of work. I should though, they need to hear it. I know they're moving to Beta pretty soon and I am pulling hard for it to work out.

God please yes just work it the gently caress out Paizo management. You guys have a great product that could actually do really well if you all work together. Don't split it over pennies and a sense of dominion.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Did an organized play event last night. Was pretty alright. Cool stuff.

character/lore question: The goblin wars in Isger...is that recent history? Like would it be reasonable to play a character who was an orphan from those wars and spent some time in one of the Orphanages run by the Church of Asmodeus?

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 20, 2023

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Did an organized play event last night. Was pretty alright. Cool stuff.

character/lore question: The goblin wars in Isger...is that recent history? Like would it be reasonable to play a character who was an orphan from those wars and spent some time in one of the Orphanages run by the Church of Asmodeus?

After some quick googling, the Goblinblood Wars were 4697-4701, and it's currently 4719 in Golarion. Recent enough to be an orphan, in any case.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Lurks With Wolves posted:

After some quick googling, the Goblinblood Wars were 4697-4701, and it's currently 4719 in Golarion. Recent enough to be an orphan, in any case.

Thank you :)

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I am considering proposing a "short" Pf2 adventure to my DND group.

I've never run a tabletop game before and it would be my first time playing PF2. One or two of them might have some PF2 experience. I want to do a homebrew adventure with a constrained scope, maybe gravitate around a single location and go from level 1-3 or 4 on an accelerated exp pace so they can have a chance to enjoy some character progression.

Any advice to think about for a 3 player party?

I know a lot of sourcebook material gravitates around an assumption of a 4 player party, and there are various solutions for scaling down. I know that I should strongly advocate for at least one player to train Medicine. I know that in DND you can get away with a composition of basically any classes because it's easy to cheat defensive tools onto "squishy" classes and the balance is all loosey-goosey anyway, but I have no direct experience with PF so I don't know how important it is to, say, recommend at least one martial type character for the group.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 20, 2023

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Although, you'd be an older goblin.

The CRB posted:

Goblins reach adolescence by the age of 3 and adulthood 4 or 5 years later. Goblins can live 50 years or more, but without anyone to protect them from each other or themselves, few live past 20 years of age.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

VikingofRock posted:

Although, you'd be an older goblin.

I was just thinking a regular ol’ human. “Satanic Orphanage” seemed too funny an idea to skip over…and then when you add in “second-rate satanic orphanage”? Oh buddy

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

3 Action Economist posted:

Looks like we're getting a book next year with 6 new ancestries, including minotaurs and centaurs.

https://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo6siay?Grandmother-s-Story-Part-5-The-Howl-of-the-Wild

(Scroll down through the story.)

E: Hoping this means we get other big ancestries like half-giant.

If they carry on the tradition of giving at least one new class in a rule book, this seems like the perfect excuse for Shifter. That would leave Inquisitor as the last heavily requested class.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

CottonWolf posted:

If they carry on the tradition of giving at least one new class in a rule book, this seems like the perfect excuse for Shifter. That would leave Inquisitor as the last heavily requested class.

I'm assuming it's a Book of the Dead-style book, judging by the previews. So it's not fullly devoted to player options, but it's 1/3 player options and 2/3 enemy stats and setting info because people like playing characters in that theme. For Book of the Dead that theme was fighting or being undead, and Howl of the Wild is cool animals and animal people.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

What are the better books to get an understanding of the setting? Maybe a bit wide of a questions, so things I’m sort of interested in:

-Chillex/Isger and the culture of a country of devil worshippers
-Galt, and any sense of culture beyond the “worst days of the French Revolution” vibes the main book gives
-any intro to their steampunk-y, guns and gears world

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Is all you have the Corebook?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Lost Omens: World Guide

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah go check out the Lost Omens books and pick one that strikes your fancy.

I really wish I had more disposable income so I could buy stuff like the Grand Bazaar, because so far while there's always quibbles the overall Lore is really great at facilitating roleplay in the Adventures I've run.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

this is going to sound massively over-flippant but the best introduction to the guns and gears world is... Guns and Gears.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

In the details? He's right. The entire back third of that book is specifically on Lore for regions like Alkenstar.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

tends to be that if a book includes a gazetteer it's a real solid bet for some fun crunchy lore.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
the old 1e supplements on each region (i know there's one for cheliax, i think there's one for isger, i don't think there's one for galt) are pretty relevant still as well. also check out the lost omens travel guide if you can, it's an almanac about living in golarion and all the lifestyle details that entails.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah go check out the Lost Omens books and pick one that strikes your fancy.

I really wish I had more disposable income so I could buy stuff like the Grand Bazaar, because so far while there's always quibbles the overall Lore is really great at facilitating roleplay in the Adventures I've run.

I went a little nuts when I dropped 5e and picked up Pathfinder

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I know enough about 1E to know I would probably really like an inquisitor but I don't know if 2E's casting paradigm would allow it. Maybe as a bounded caster?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

Is all you have the Corebook?

Corebook
Gamemastery Guide
Monster Manual 1
Kingmaker campaign

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Also, and I don't remember exactly how this works, because it's been a couple of years, you'll probably want to have your Paizo account set up, and and Organized Play ID, if they issue them online (again, it's been a while): https://paizo.com/organizedplay

Now having done one organized play session, wanted to try and understand a bit more how everything's supposed to work.

1) I didn't think to get an Organized Play ID set up before the game. I got one this morning. The GM gave me a sheet with some Event ID info on it, but I haven't seen any obvious portal to enter in the details of the session. Do I contact the GM/organizer to have them enter in my XP and such?

2) In terms of creating your own character for organized play, it doesn't seem like there's a central character builder/database to build in? Do I just build something in Pathbuilder, and let the GM review it before a scenario starts?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Characters that were inquisitors in PF1 have generally been interpreted as champions in PF2 and I'm largely fine with that, we just need LN/CN champion variants

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Okay, I'm tired of being told that I can't do cool poo poo as a Fighter (or I can but I can do it less per day than a Wizard), tired of being so held back as a Paladin, and tired of just being useless as a Ranger. And of being told "There's no place for a Half Orc in this system, we're replacing you with Gith" as a Half Orc. What can Pathfinder 2e offer me, given that my main interaction with 1e was the Dreamscarred Tome of Battle stuff.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

CottonWolf posted:

what about Skald?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Fivemarks posted:

Okay, I'm tired of being told that I can't do cool poo poo as a Fighter (or I can but I can do it less per day than a Wizard), tired of being so held back as a Paladin, and tired of just being useless as a Ranger. And of being told "There's no place for a Half Orc in this system, we're replacing you with Gith" as a Half Orc. What can Pathfinder 2e offer me, given that my main interaction with 1e was the Dreamscarred Tome of Battle stuff.

You can do a lot of cool poo poo as a fighter (perhaps too much) and you are not useless as a ranger. Half orcs are also core.

Champions are also cool but you have to be okay with being focused on defense, though they are getting updated next year so who knows.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

CottonWolf posted:

This isn't the GenCon book for next year so no classes in this one. They always save classes for the GenCon release and they always do a playtest for classes. See this post by the Paizo marketing director if you don't believe me: https://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo6siay?Grandmother-s-Story-Part-5-The-Howl-of-the-Wild#20

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Fivemarks posted:

I'm playing a Fighter in my 5e group currently, and here are a few things that made me interested in PF2's take on fighters and martials in general

-Fighters are supposedly single target damage kings, you will crit more than anyone and generally be a real menace on the battlefield.

-Martials get "crit specialization" which unlocks special secondary effects that are different per weapon when you land a critical hit, making weapon choice more interesting than just choosing which damage dice you want to use. Weapons in general have more secondary characteristics that tweak their behavior in interesting ways to customize how you fight.

-Trained skills are actually useful in combat and accessible to every class. Athletics characters can shove and trip enemies-- Shoving actually damages the enemy action economy because they have to give up what could have been another attack action to instead move and re-engage with you. Tripping will set the enemy prone and debuff their AC and accuracy until they stand up. Everyone learns skill feats that further improve the utility of skills and unlocks new ways to use them. You get enough stat increases that you can reliably have decent secondary stats for other skills to do useful things on your turn, like heal or aid allies, or further bully enemies.

-If that tripped enemy tries to stand up or crawl away, Fighters get to attack of opportunity them! (AoO are not ubiquitous anymore, it's a special feature of the Fighter class by default and other martials can acquire it with a feat). The 3-action system and reining in of AoO makes fights less likely to become static melee blobs and you get to think more about tactical movement.

-Casters are refocused more on a control/utility and AoE damage niche rather than their DnD niche of becoming the best at everything. Combat in general has more of a philosophy of teamwork and setting up your allies for success rather than individual superstars, so you don't generally hear about martial characters feeling like cheerleaders for the Wizard.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 21, 2023

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Scoss posted:

-Casters are refocused more on a control/utility and AoE damage niche rather than their DnD niche of becoming the best at everything. Combat in general has more of a philosophy of teamwork and setting up your allies for success rather than individual superstars, so you don't generally hear about martial characters feeling like cheerleaders for the Wizard.

You instead hear about caster characters feeling like cheerleaders for the Fighter, which is at least novel.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yeah, a wizard or sorc can dump a sudden bolt or lightning bolt for the same number of damage dice as a fighter or barb power attack, but they're less likely to crit (generally at least 15% ish depending on the enemy), and can only do it ~3-4 times per day vs "as many times as I get turns"

Your consolation prize is still doing half damage when an enemy saves, I guess.

I've played both fighter and sorc many times and both feel fantastic to me tbh. Damage powerhouse with extremely good enemy control if you pick up something like wrestler for fighter (grappling/tripping/whirling throw are super strong), or "totally fine" damage with all the good utility spells like invisibility, dimension door, charm, illusionary object/monster etc for sorc.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah, casters aren't weak, it's just a mindset adjustment (that the game exacerbates, really, but that's beside the point.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I'm playing a reach weapon fighter in my group's AV game and at level 3 I'm having a ton of fun. Walking up and power attacking something for 2d10+4 damage and then getting to slap someone else during my off turn who feels like getting cheeky is real nice, and since fighters have real good bonuses you hit more often too. :toot: It's simple but then again I'm a simple person who enjoys rolling dice.