Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Thirsty Dog posted:

Anyway. Hello thread. I am looking for some clarity on war games and what my options are. I play a lot of miniatures and board games of varying complexity and as part of that I've really enjoyed light stuff like Cousin's War and March of Progress. I've been meaning to pick up Sekigahara for ages, too.

I've been meaning to look into more wargames for either solo or duel (or even co-op if that's a thing!) and am familiar with the existence of COIN games as something that might work for me. But the level of complexity and difficulty of these games is sometimes difficult to work out. Is there anywhere - even a list or category on BGG - where popular war games are accurately summarised in terms of their complexity and play length?

For example, ASL is obviously an insane game that I fully understand the appeal of but would never play. Combat Commander seems like a much lighter version of that and closer to what I'd consider, but is still probably a bit too grognardy. Command and Colors (well okay, Battlelore) I hated and is possibly too simplistic. So I'm trying to find a middle ground that appeals to me, be it block game, COIN, or full on hex and counters. It's so hard to tell at first glance where certain games fit - ASL and CC:E are essentially the same game if you're totally new to this stuff - and the best way for me to work out what games I want to try is to be able to rank them in simplicity as well as quality.

Does that make sense? I know COIN is probably a good example of this, there's some that are quite straightforward but thematically awesome, and some that are incredibly detailed. Knowing rough groupings of these games would be fantastic.

Is this just a case of me not using BGG correctly?
COIN bot rules are as thick as some full rulebooks.
Cuba Libre is the standard intro recommendation, Andean Abyss is simple too as the origin of the series. Anything with detailed combat resolution goes to the trickier end of the spectrum, and Pendragon is in an enclosure of its own.

But there's other stuff!
Brief Border Wars isn't pretty, but light, and every turn is an optimisation puzzle. Costs <$50 in sales.
Warriors of God is all about breezily rolling dice through two wars so long the kings who start them die of old age before the end.
The recent War of the Triple Alliance is pretty, and presents a spectacular shitshow of a war in a reasonable rules volume.
300 Earth & Water is a short little intro to card-driven stuff.
Land and Freedom is war-adjacent, almost co-op, will get you angry at your partners, and has a solo mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Beffer posted:

What is the thread view on the Undaunted games? I can pick up Stalingrad for 90 roobucks which seems good value. I know it’s a deck builder not hex and counter but how does it feel as a war game?

Cheers

My wife will play it, smallish foot print, fun, low cranial overhead; get it

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

Thirsty Dog posted:

I've been meaning to look into more wargames for either solo or duel (or even co-op if that's a thing!) and am familiar with the existence of COIN games as something that might work for me. But the level of complexity and difficulty of these games is sometimes difficult to work out. Is there anywhere - even a list or category on BGG - where popular war games are accurately summarised in terms of their complexity and play length?

I don't think there's anything better than looking at some reviews and seeing if they talk about the rules, it's not like there's an objective measure for game complexity(except rulebook page count I guess). You can roughly say that there are some super complicated games(like ASL), then simpler/starter type games(SCS series for example), but the vast majority of games fall somewhere between those extremes. If it's a game that interests you, you'll learn it eventually, so I wouldn't avoid anything just because you are worried about rules.

(Assuming of course that the rules are written at least minimally competently, there certainly are games that are nearly unplayable because of terrible rulebooks)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Yo everyone making GBS threads on ASL for being super complex just play Starter Kit 1

*cries*

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Tekopo posted:

You will get some shitters going "it's not a real wargame" out in the wider wargaming community, but Undaunted games are pretty good, extremely playable, and I would recommend them.

Even if it is a good game, it does not make it a wargame.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

It's a game. It's about war. Good enough for me.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It's only a real Wargame if it was manufactured in the Wehrgæme region of Alsace, otherwise it's just sparkling hexfights.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Honestly, when people ask how to get into wargames, I generally think about it more by their historical interest and theme, moreso than outright complexity. Hitting someone with a "starter wargame" they're not interested in isn't really much better than giving them something too complex.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

100% agreed. Plausibly the way to go is a system that spans a ton of periods, of course. C&C, for example, or Columbia block games, though those two happen to be systems I didn't enjoy my plays of, ironically enough.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

silvergoose posted:

100% agreed. Plausibly the way to go is a system that spans a ton of periods, of course. C&C, for example, or Columbia block games, though those two happen to be systems I didn't enjoy my plays of, ironically enough.

Does the men of iron Tri-Pak count? I’m really seriously considering it, and it seems to contain bundles of scenarios with a fairly common ruleset set.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yo everyone making GBS threads on ASL for being super complex just play Starter Kit 1

*cries*

Starter Kit 1 is still incredibly complex

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Thirsty Dog posted:

Starter Kit 1 is still incredibly complex

Wh- how?!

Moving, shooting, some rout stuff, bingo bango bongo

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I poo poo on ASL for being extremely inelegant and tedious

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Panzeh posted:

Honestly, when people ask how to get into wargames, I generally think about it more by their historical interest and theme, moreso than outright complexity. Hitting someone with a "starter wargame" they're not interested in isn't really much better than giving them something too complex.

This has been my experience with all games. If they're interested and you picked a "good" game, they'll make the climb, and if they're not interested, it doesn't matter how "starter" or "casual" the game is. If it's a long/complex game, you can tell them that up front and say you'll play a partial game, or start over when they think they've grasped enough to make that worth it.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Tevery Best posted:

I don't think 'elegant' was even conceived of as a design goal in that era. I've never played, but my understanding is ASL delivers what it sets out to do and found an audience, which is all a designer can really hope for.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

An audience of weirdos that still curses this thread to this day.

I'm joking

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Wh- how?!

Moving, shooting, some rout stuff, bingo bango bongo

Incredibly complex.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Thirsty Dog posted:

Incredibly complex.

Why are you posting Starter Kit 4?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Do we think ChatGPT could make playing ASL easier? I could imagine being able to ask an AI in natural language questions about rules and getting accurate answers back would make it easier.

Essentially getting an answer right away instead of waiting for a grognard on con sim world or BGG to answer your rules question.

I suppose the same would hold true for other complicated games, ASL just seems like the poster child as such.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

ChatGPT as it currently stands will give you as many wrong answers as right answers. It doesn't intrinsically know if a rule is wrong or right.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

A Strange Aeon posted:

Do we think ChatGPT could make playing ASL easier? I could imagine being able to ask an AI in natural language questions about rules and getting accurate answers back would make it easier.

Essentially getting an answer right away instead of waiting for a grognard on con sim world or BGG to answer your rules question.

I suppose the same would hold true for other complicated games, ASL just seems like the poster child as such.

God I hate ChatGPT and everyone on the discord tries to use it for making scenarios or playing and it sucks and is dumb and bad and everyone's all "look at me being clever tee-hee, I made a robot play my game" instead of just writing code

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
If you managed to get gpt-4 to play ASL, you could then get another to play against it and never have to bother with ASL again!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Tevery Best posted:

If you managed to get gpt-4 to play ASL, you could then get another to play against it and never have to bother with ASL again!
:hmmyes:

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Tekopo posted:

ChatGPT as it currently stands will give you as many wrong answers as right answers. It doesn't intrinsically know if a rule is wrong or right.

So the real ASL rules pedant experience

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Why are you posting Starter Kit 4?

Oh, my bad - didn't realise I'd gotten the wrong link. Is SK1 significantly less complex than that?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Tevery Best posted:

It's a game about WWII infantry combat that can not figure out how a WWII German squad worked.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
Looks like MMP has added some new preorders this month: there's OCS Crimea which is another OCS east front one mapper with a ton of scenarios, and BCS Valley of Tears which covers the entire Yom Kippur war at BCS scale with three maps for Suez and one for Golan.

I think I read somewhere that MMP has a faster preorder-to-printing process for The Gamers series games since they always make their preorders, so hopefully these will be printed sometimes this year. I'm just going to keep buying every BCS game that gets released since I love the series so far.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Thirsty Dog posted:

Oh, my bad - didn't realise I'd gotten the wrong link. Is SK1 significantly less complex than that?

Yes

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

SK4 has a 32-page rulebook, SK1 has a 12-page rulebook.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Right, but that could easily be just more mechanics rather than increasing complexity. Like if SK1 doesn't have stuff like

quote:

Height Advantage and Hill LOS Example
The German 4-6-7 in wE9 can see the American 6-6-6 in hex I7 unhindered by the grain in F8, although
such an attack by the 4-6-7 against the 6-6-6 would qualify for the +1 Height Advantage TEM. It costs the
5-3-6 in H7 2 MF to move to I7
(Open Ground 1 MF doubled for
crossing the Crest Line uphill). The
5-3-6 would not qualify for Height
Advantage TEM for attacks from
the 4-6-7 during the MPh because
the moving unit crossed a Crest
Line that is intersected by the
firer’s LOS. The 4-6-7 has no LOS
to the 3-3-7 in I6 (and vice versa).
If the 3-3-7 moves from I6 to I7 (1
MF), then LOS would exist with
the 4-6-7, and the 3-3-7 would
receive Height Advantage TEM
versus an attack by the 4-6-7. If the
5-3-6 in H7 were instead to move
to G7, the cost would be 4 MF
(building COT of 2 doubled for
crossing a Crest Line uphill, requiring the Green 5-3-6 to first declare
Double Time), and the 5-3-6 would
receive building TEM rather than
Height Advantage.

Which appears to be just standard infantry and LOS stuff that I figured would be the same in SK1, then I'm definitely keen to take a look!

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Obfuscation posted:

Looks like MMP has added some new preorders this month: there's OCS Crimea which is another OCS east front one mapper with a ton of scenarios, and BCS Valley of Tears which covers the entire Yom Kippur war at BCS scale with three maps for Suez and one for Golan.

I think I read somewhere that MMP has a faster preorder-to-printing process for The Gamers series games since they always make their preorders, so hopefully these will be printed sometimes this year. I'm just going to keep buying every BCS game that gets released since I love the series so far.

I'll probably get Crimea, but I already own too many BCS games I haven't played yet to get VoT.

He says as he greedily eyes Race for Bastogne despite only ever having played 1 scenario from Greatest Day.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

But why play ASL when CCE gives you the same experience with a fun deck? It’s neat when both you and your opponent know you haven’t pulled the boxcars card.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Dr. Lunchables posted:

But why play ASL when CCE gives you the same experience with a fun deck? It’s neat when both you and your opponent know you haven’t pulled the boxcars card.

My opponent drew the snake eyes, then gave me the grenade, and drew the other snake eyes once. It meant my flamethrower torched his important stack and basically decided the match.

Felt good for me and I'm sure it was very memorable for him!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

What’s is Unconditional Surrender like for solo play?

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Southern Heel posted:

What’s is Unconditional Surrender like for solo play?

very good! no hidden info to work around and a good range of scenarios to get through. it works great solo.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Sleekly posted:

very good! no hidden info to work around and a good range of scenarios to get through. it works great solo.

That’s great to hear that’s basically what I’m after I think in a war game. This might be a bit out there, but is there something in an earlier period which matches the style of this game? If I had to pick a period, World War II is probably the one which I’m least interested in!!!

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

the same guy was working on a WW1 game i think but not sure where its at.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Salvatore Vasta. It's called Armistice! World War 1 in Europe -- it's using the same system -- but I don't know where it is in the GMT dev pipeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I just remember that because the title is clever