Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nowher posted:

100 million is an absolutely insane amount. I don't think I would have the willpower to refuse that but props to Linus.
Everyone has price - ~$60M after taxes just wasn't Linus'.

Alternatively, they wanted him to be more involved than he wanted, if he's honest about not wanting to be the face of the company - which I doubt, since he made the same claim a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Jake’s Tech Tips

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Everyone has price - ~$60M after taxes just wasn't Linus'.

Alternatively, they wanted him to be more involved than he wanted, if he's honest about not wanting to be the face of the company - which I doubt, since he made the same claim a few years ago.

I think he's okay with being the face of the company that bears his name, it's the "actual running of the business" type of stuff that he doesn't want to do anymore.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

doomisland posted:

Jake’s Tech Tips

Anthony's Tech Tips

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I don’t like Linus at all but this seems like a brilliant move. CEOs and other execs have a fiduciary responsibility and can be held liable for things the company does and doesn’t do. Shareholders have the opposite, the corporate veil shields them from any responsibility except their equity value dropping to zero. If he owns a majority share of the equity, he’s essentially able to have full control putting whoever he wants as execs while having zero responsibility…
feels like a capitalist cheat code.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
You know the really brilliant move? Taking $100 mil for your company that does nothing and doing anything better with the rest of your life than making youtube thumbnails.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

He should do the jack from twitter thing and take the money and basically recreate LTT somewhere else. He could even hire the people who jump ship when the new overloaded inevitably mess it all up.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Beve Stuscemi posted:

He should do the jack from twitter thing and take the money and basically recreate LTT somewhere else. He could even hire the people who jump ship when the new overloaded inevitably mess it all up.

LTT is literally this already, Linus going solo from when things got bad at NCIX.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Nitr0 posted:

You know the really brilliant move? Taking $100 mil for your company that does nothing and doing anything better with the rest of your life than making youtube thumbnails.

He probably has a fun time doing a bunch of nerdy stuff with nerds. He's clearly materially got what he wants, so I say fair play.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Nitr0 posted:

drat you seem to have a hate boner for linus. Is it because you used to know him, and are jealous of his success while leaving you in the dust?

You do know that they are also a media company in that they do commercial work? It's not just the yourube stuff.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Harminoff posted:

drat you seem to have a hate boner for linus. Is it because you used to know him, and are jealous of his success while leaving you in the dust?

You do know that they are also a media company in that they do commercial work? It's not just the yourube stuff.

Given the amount of vitriol towards Linus that their posts tend to have, I'm going to guess they probably don't really care that LMG doesn't just make YT thumbnails or whatever.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
okay i get the vitriol against jayz2cents (even if i don't necessarily agree with it) but linus? he's said a sorta clueless thing about unions once, was off the mark on the backpack warranty (lol that's a thing?) and makes a bunch of clickbait content. what's there to be super mad about with linus?

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

He's popular and hating popular things makes you cool, you see.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Again, Linus should be lauded for basically going "I'm pretty well off as it is, a bunch more money isn't really going to make me happy", in an age where insanely wealthy people routinely gently caress over those less well-off than them for a little bit more money, just to ensure that Number Go Up.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
what would he even do after selling it. stay tuned for linus stock tips

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Linuscoin

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Start a new company called netlink2000 and then

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

power crystals posted:

He's popular and hating popular things makes you cool, you see.
Why are you whiteknighting for a millionaire?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

If GN Steve turned down a big sum for GN people would be gushing for a decade.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

that 100m acquisition was definitely contingent on linus sticking around as the face for a long time. i think ltt's valuation is probably close to 100m anyways. they're not just a youtube channel they're also a fairly prolific production house, a sophisticated merchandising and logistics operation, real estate and brand value. yeah, it all came via youtube but you'd be suprised what it costs to build any of those things from scratch

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Shipon posted:

okay i get the vitriol against jayz2cents (even if i don't necessarily agree with it)
which part of jayz2cents 'vitriol' do you not agree with? he's been racist for years and has never said anything to the contrary. every time it's brought up all of his statements are still sitting in the open

also very amused at the people rushing to defend a 100-person company that's only been about entertainment and marketing with community outreach as just another tool in the pocket. i don't really doubt a buyout price came about, that's pretty common for major youtube channels and LMG wouldn't be the first to take it and then start a new company while the buyer thinks any of the audience would stick around

the talent deficit posted:

that 100m acquisition was definitely contingent on linus sticking around as the face for a long time. i think ltt's valuation is probably close to 100m anyways. they're not just a youtube channel they're also a fairly prolific production house, a sophisticated merchandising and logistics operation, real estate and brand value. yeah, it all came via youtube but you'd be suprised what it costs to build any of those things from scratch
i'd expect a handover period but i wouldn't be shocked if they just forgot to make it contingent on linus et al staying. the groups going around making the youtube buyouts are not as competent as you'd think

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I’d expect any bought YT channel to be ruined within a year.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

well why not posted:

I’d expect any bought YT channel to be ruined within a year.

how would that be any different from ltt as it is today, after this moment. from their sponsor.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Why are you whiteknighting for a millionaire?

I wasn't aware that calling someone popular was whiteknighting them. Linus is an idiot about a lot of things but this specific decision is good.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Harminoff posted:

lol projecting much?

I'm not hating on him, I'm saying he's making a stupid decision. There's a difference.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

power crystals posted:

I wasn't aware that calling someone popular was whiteknighting them.

I don't think they were referring to that part of the post but the other part where you seem to dismiss legitimate criticism as "hating popular things".

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

which part of jayz2cents 'vitriol' do you not agree with? he's been racist for years and has never said anything to the contrary. every time it's brought up all of his statements are still sitting in the open
Not the op, but similar grievance. There's quite a few posters on these forums (not specifically this subforum) that need to tone it down a bit with their desire to crucify people and holier than thou attitudes.

People are a product of the circumstances, and that sometimes results in edge lord opinions. In the case of Jay, he's some idiot from Texas, and chances of some gun-toting bullshit opinions are therefore pretty high. In the not so far past, (most) people just rolled their eyes at dumb poo poo like he posted and ignored said person. But no, nowadays, everyone needs to be cancelled and crawl under a rock.

Not saying that there are some people that deserve flak of that kind. But Jay? Jesus Christ, that guy is just a poser (in the relevant regards).

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
https://twitter.com/JayzTwoCents/status/1267598953358356480
https://twitter.com/JayzTwoCents/status/1267606763215310850
https://twitter.com/JayzTwoCents/status/1267623538447364096

I like how Twitter makes it possible to post through one's unnecessary force fantasy scenarios. No idea how to stop mass shootings in the only country that has them happen every hour or two.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I too am mentally prepared for the idea of defending myself (weeping and dying)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Considering "gun culture" in the US (lol: http://www.gabrielegalimberti.com/the-ameriguns/), is it really surprising that there's people roleplaying this Castle doctrine crap? It's bound to happen to also come from some more prominent persona. At least from the kind that doesn't know when to shut up.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it's especially uncomfortable in light of more recent stories of people getting shot simply for ringing someone's doorbell or walking on their lawn (to look for a missing cat)

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
it is very normal in the united states of america so we should not point and deride them for it especially when they're just posing to be violent psychopaths. smdh at the holier than thou (other subforum) posters once again

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
If only Linus had consulted goons as to whether it is better to take the money for his company that produces nothing of value or stay on and keep paying a staff roster of circa 100 people who presumably also produce nothing of value.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Sadly I paid $10 to provide nothing of value.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I’m sure he’s got it all figured out though because I see clear wins by hiring the disgraced owner of… ncix?!

Honestly, the amount of poo poo I heard about that guy, and to see years later that he’s back because “he’s the only one who can control Linus”, it’s just so stupid.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Not saying that there are some people that deserve flak of that kind. But Jay? Jesus Christ, that guy is just a poser (in the relevant regards).

He’s just a racist nutjob, leave him alone : ((((

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Nitr0 posted:

I’m sure he’s got it all figured out though because I see clear wins by hiring the disgraced owner of… ncix?!

Honestly, the amount of poo poo I heard about that guy, and to see years later that he’s back because “he’s the only one who can control Linus”, it’s just so stupid.

He didn't hire the former owner of NCIX. It was someone else who was working there.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Nitr0 posted:

lol projecting much?

I'm not hating on him, I'm saying he's making a stupid decision. There's a difference.

The tone of your posts absolutely indicates otherwise

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

He didn't hire the former owner of NCIX. It was someone else who was working there.

Ah my mistake. Got my people mixed up. Terren and I have a bunch of mutual connections.

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The tone of your posts absolutely indicates otherwise

I’m glad you know better than me, random internet poster!