Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Cessna posted:

I just want to state that I am not, in fact, a fan of Oliver Cromwell despite painting some New Model Army models.

Despite evidence that I have, indeed, painted some Mongol horse archers, I take this opportunity to declare that I am opposed to the decision of butchering Baghdad in 1258.

E: Georgian Britain however was a totalitarian plight that would have deserved to be stamped out. Vive l’Empereur!

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I painted up a number of black and brown soldiers/tankers/gunners in my allied army and if it makes sense scenario wise I'll also try to work in integrated or racialized units.

For me it's a novel way to simultaneously research history and add some visual pop, but if it triggers some shithead then so much the better I guess.

grobbendonk
Apr 22, 2008

Southern Heel posted:

I had pretty much written off Blucher because of those funky bases, but I will give it another view - thank you.

Southern Heel, if you're interested in Blucher we play it at the Wargames club in Brighton, plus plenty of other games https://brightonwargamesclub.wordpress.com/

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I am in fact a bonapartiste

lilljonas posted:

E: Georgian Britain however was a totalitarian plight that would have deserved to be stamped out. Vive l’Empereur!

:france:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Southern Heel posted:

Nobody seems to have a massive problem modelling the Spartans, Romans, Normans, Parliamentarians, Native Americans, Napoleonic British, Communist or literally any other side espite being as legitimate as targets they're not as blatantly obvious to the smoothbrains. it's absolute nonsense and as above, is virtue- or rage-baiting depending on your perspective.

I think the big difference is nobody's really jonesing for a return to rule-by-gerontes or whatever the spartans had going on, whereas people definitely are doing that for the nazis and the confederacy, and to the extent they're also doing that for the greeks or whatever it's usually as a dogwhistle for wanting one or both of those other two things.

That said, WW2 was for the longest time my jam, wargames-wise, and I'm pretty much on Cessna's side with all the points he raised. But I do think, sadly, the context of specifically the nazis (and the confederacy) is distinct from every other historical monster you could play.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Hang on how are Native Americans as bad as Nazis

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Endman posted:

Who gives a poo poo can we please excuse real life politics from this thread?

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Southern Heel posted:

Who gives a poo poo can we please excuse real life politics from this thread?

But you’re the one who made the comparison

e: you wrote a big ol’ post declaring your opinions. You can’t throw those out there and then get pissed when other people respond to it

best bale fucked around with this message at 13:43 on May 20, 2023

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

best bale posted:

But you’re the one who made the comparison

e: you wrote a big ol’ post declaring your opinions. You can’t throw those out there and then get pissed when other people respond to it

My opinion was “it’s all nonsense”, not taking a position

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Southern Heel posted:

My opinion was “it’s all nonsense”, not taking a position

quote:

Nobody seems to have a massive problem modelling the Spartans, Romans, Normans, Parliamentarians, Native Americans, Napoleonic British, Communist or literally any other side espite being as legitimate as targets

:raise:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Seems weird to me that this would be a hot topic item recently by some peeps in the historicals. Do they not play video games? How wrong has it been for years to play Call of Duty or Battlefield XYZ where you're playing as Germans, or Soviets, or the bad Soviets, or Russians?

I definitely think its worthwhile to take a moment and give some thought about a game you play or why you enjoy "thing" from that game/event/war, but getting bent out of shape because I played Tigers vs IS-1s and everybody died seems like a bit much :shrug:.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Seems weird to me that this would be a hot topic item recently by some peeps in the historicals. Do they not play video games? How wrong has it been for years to play Call of Duty or Battlefield XYZ where you're playing as Germans, or Soviets, or the bad Soviets, or Russians?

I definitely think its worthwhile to take a moment and give some thought about a game you play or why you enjoy "thing" from that game/event/war, but getting bent out of shape because I played Tigers vs IS-1s and everybody died seems like a bit much :shrug:.

It's probably more to do with the surge in authoritarianism/neo-fascism that's been happening in regards to modern politics (both here in the US and elsewhere) over the last few years. I can understand why it might make someone feel a bit uneasy about playing the Germans in a WW2 game, or the Confederacy in an American Civil War game, when there are people proudly displaying some of the same symbolism and slogans in the present day.

I'd also say it's one of those things that just periodically pops up in regards to historical wargaming, every so often the topic of "do I really want to play the Germans in a WW2 game" comes up, because the person asking that question is usually worried they're going to be lumped in with a bunch of wehraboos. Normally I'd just joke and say "have the other side play the Russians, that way you've got two historically brutally repressive regimes fighting each other", but nowadays that joke doesn't seem quite as funny any more.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It's probably more to do with the surge in authoritarianism/neo-fascism that's been happening in regards to modern politics (both here in the US and elsewhere) over the last few years. I can understand why it might make someone feel a bit uneasy about playing the Germans in a WW2 game, or the Confederacy in an American Civil War game, when there are people proudly displaying some of the same symbolism and slogans in the present day.

I'd also say it's one of those things that just periodically pops up in regards to historical wargaming, every so often the topic of "do I really want to play the Germans in a WW2 game" comes up, because the person asking that question is usually worried they're going to be lumped in with a bunch of wehraboos. Normally I'd just joke and say "have the other side play the Russians, that way you've got two historically brutally repressive regimes fighting each other", but nowadays that joke doesn't seem quite as funny any more.

The trick is to play Germans, but paint them as Tomainians and loudly declare that you are fighting against machine men with machine minds and machine hearts.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Not only does Guy from MWM play videogames, that video is sponsored by World of Warships.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Yeah that's fair, if you're meticulously painting every model you own to be the exact shade of Otto Carius or whatever, you might be a weeaboo, but presumably you also don't play with racist pieces of poo poo. Ultimately, find your comfort level in terms of historical accuracy, sing a few bars of the MST3K theme, and play what you want against who you like.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah, to be clear, I don't think anyone's wrong for playing WW2 or ACW games, but I also think it's not some completely bizarre take only a lunatic would make. There's really obvious reasons why someone would experience an :staredog: reaction to looking at a table with nazis on it but wouldn't at seeing spartans or landsknechts, even though those were also lovely people.

Like, pointedly, it's notable people are pretty happy to jokingly pretend they're actually bonapartists (inb4 "who's joking"), an ideology that functionally no longer exists and definitely doesn't have major representation among english-language politics.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Endman posted:

I still need an answer to this one too

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Being on the fun committee for work means I get to inflict my taste in boardgames on the group occasionally. One of my big loves is for naval warfare, especially ironclads. Lucky for me, the War of the Pacific happened so nobody has to play Confederates and we avoid any awkward conversations at work.

Since I like to share treats,

https://www.wargamevault.com/product/396791/Dawn-of-Iron-The-American-Civil-War-at-Sea--First-Anthology

https://www.wargamevault.com/product/422184/Dawn-of-Iron-War-of-the-Pacific-18791884

https://www.wargamevault.com/product/125572/South-American-Ironclads

https://www.wargamevault.com/product/238604/War-of-the-Pacific

https://www.wargamevault.com/product/326917/Brazilian-Ironclads

drat the torpedoes!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

alg posted:

I still need an answer to this one too

i dont think so actually and imo this derail sucks rear end every time it comes up

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i dont think so actually and imo this derail sucks rear end every time it comes up

We can end this particular derail, but “this derail sucks rear end” is a poo poo take. Even if the topic is unpleasant it’s absolutely a part of the hobby. as a gay chick in an overwhelming straight white dude hobby, it’s nice to hear the lovely parts acknowledged

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

best bale posted:

We can end this particular derail, but “this derail sucks rear end” is a poo poo take. Even if the topic is unpleasant it’s absolutely a part of the hobby. as a gay chick in an overwhelming straight white dude hobby, it’s nice to hear the lovely parts acknowledged

i don't care. it's tiresome. no one itt is a nazi and the thread treads the same ground every time. all that is left is for people to read posts in bad faith and create arguments out of whole cloth, like what is going on here with the "um excuse me can you please explain carefully how you're not a monster with this post???"

anyway. painted some more henry turner at 15 mm. i like how these are turning out. pretty fast to do just a flat white prime and speed paint, and the effect is pretty good in a 36 man regiment

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

i don't care. it's tiresome. no one itt is a nazi and the thread treads the same ground every time. all that is left is for people to read posts in bad faith and create arguments out of whole cloth, like what is going on here with the "um excuse me can you please explain carefully how you're not a monster with this post???"

Oh word, glad to know what is and isn’t worth discussing. Asking someone to explain what they meant isn’t unreasonable

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

mllaneza posted:

Being on the fun committee for work means I get to inflict my taste in boardgames on the group occasionally. One of my big loves is for naval warfare, especially ironclads. Lucky for me, the War of the Pacific happened so nobody has to play Confederates and we avoid any awkward conversations at work.

Since I like to share treats,

https://www.wargamevault.com/product/396791/Dawn-of-Iron-The-American-Civil-War-at-Sea--First-Anthology

https://www.wargamevault.com/product/422184/Dawn-of-Iron-War-of-the-Pacific-18791884

https://www.wargamevault.com/product/125572/South-American-Ironclads

https://www.wargamevault.com/product/238604/War-of-the-Pacific

https://www.wargamevault.com/product/326917/Brazilian-Ironclads

drat the torpedoes!

Hell yeah, I need to get back into painting my ironclads. I love the idea of quick painting up some ironclads, throwing down some blue cloth and just going at it.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Glad the thread arbiter's here to tell people what they can and can't discuss

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Southern Heel posted:

Nobody seems to have a massive problem modelling the Spartans, Romans, Normans, Parliamentarians, Native Americans, Napoleonic British, Communist or literally any other side espite being as legitimate as targets they're not as blatantly obvious to the smoothbrains.

Wait why are

This has come up before?!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

moths posted:

The topic of which conflicts and/or armies are problematic or gives us the back stomach feel is a recurring topic. I admit to be highly illogical in my gut reaction: I feel ok with collecting WW2 armies and earlier while ’Nam and later typically makes me wanna pass.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I also don't think it's that much of a derail for a couple people to say yeah this sucks and is a real thing and our hobby space (like the wink wink purge the unclean 40K fascists that are out there). Honestly the openness and frankness at which we are (almost) all willing to say gently caress those people are what keeps me coming back to this thread and if you don't want to read that go literally anywhere else with the lovely "let's not talk politics" angle even though not talking about politics is political in itself and an affirmation of the status quo.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

anyway. painted some more henry turner at 15 mm. i like how these are turning out. pretty fast to do just a flat white prime and speed paint, and the effect is pretty good in a 36 man regiment

Those look really great. I definitely seesaw between cartoony and realistic looking, and I don’t think I would choose these – but they have a definite feel to them! Do you have any examples of cavalry?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

fwiw i think the argument is easily resolved with either "by that I meant that-(particular thing that makes sense and isn't some kind of insane dogwhistle)" or "yeah, sorry, that was clumsy" are both good argument enders, whereas "I don't have to explain myself to anyone and will not be discussing this further, everyone shut up" is definitely going to continue it indefinitely.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Anyway I know that civil war era steam frigates had masts as a backup to the steam-screw system, but did they run with sails and rigging and everything? Trying to decide how detailed I want to do my ships for Hampton Roads.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

spectralent posted:

fwiw i think the argument is easily resolved with either "by that I meant that-(particular thing that makes sense and isn't some kind of insane dogwhistle)" or "yeah, sorry, that was clumsy" are both good argument enders, whereas "I don't have to explain myself to anyone and will not be discussing this further, everyone shut up" is definitely going to continue it indefinitely.

Yeah, literally all that needed to be said was "sorry, mistake on my part" (to lump a historically oppressed and genocided people in with a bunch of conquerors and colonizers who were mostly pretty ruthless about it).

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

It's not the topic itself that is the problem, it's the fact that every time the discussion almost immediately devolves into goons pecking at each other over minutiae. I feel like this goonhammer article should be the standard we hold ourselves to when we discuss these issues.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Approaching it from an honest read of the least lovely version of the story I can find, plenty of Native American warleaders pulled some underhand poo poo right from Jamestown to the tail end of Geronimo's career ranging from trying to provoke the settlers into fights to look strong to neighbouring tribes alllll the way to raiding forts out west and leaving cultural signifiers of neighbouring tribes so that the US government would send the cavalry to go kill them instead. That's why it's a thing we can wargame rather than just rolling dice to see how many turns it takes to run out of civilians to genocide.

Or maybe it's just a point about the conquests of Ēxcān Tlahtōlōyān, because that's a thing you can wargame too.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

See, my acceptable read was "the wars are sometimes called the native american wars and they were referring to the wars in general rather than the specific group". That or "the native americans did have a period where their wars between each other were about civilian violence for the purposes of driving other tribes out of territory", rather than the more immediately thought of US/native wars.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There's a solid three hundred years of colonial history there, and people are people. There's plenty of scope for wargaming in that period.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Count Thrashula posted:

Anyway I know that civil war era steam frigates had masts as a backup to the steam-screw system, but did they run with sails and rigging and everything? Trying to decide how detailed I want to do my ships for Hampton Roads.

They'd be full rigged. For a steam and sail ship, you can just go with the masts and maybe the stays and ratlines. They'd furl sails for combat and fight on steam power.

This should provide ample inspiration,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnV6KqI3gGA

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The funny part about these discussions about the 'morality' of historical wargaming is that everyone gets super defensive. Honestly, wargaming is all about representing the most horrible poo poo ever (war) with tiny little facsimiles of the human beings that experienced and perpetrated the most horrible poo poo ever. There's not really a moral high ground to take here, and its up to your own personal moral calculus as to whether you're okay with it, because the underlying uncomfortable truth of the matter is that it's fun.

Endman
May 18, 2010

mllaneza posted:

They'd be full rigged. For a steam and sail ship, you can just go with the masts and maybe the stays and ratlines. They'd furl sails for combat and fight on steam power.

This should provide ample inspiration,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnV6KqI3gGA

Little Wars TV is such a good channel. I've been watching heaps of their stuff over the past couple of weeks.

Also painting tax for bringing up morality in wargaming again:

A barn for my models to miss the broadest side of.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
I think the accurate read is that including Native Americans in that list was an attempt at edgelord shitposting. But Imma turn around and agree with it.

I grew up in a cultural wasteland in Northeast Louisiana. Every field trip we ever took for school was to the
Poverty Point archaeological site but that place is ancient and unsolved enough the people working there also teach you about the later
Mississipians who were a peaceful trading and building civilization in the SE US that were exterminated by the other Native American tribes right before the Europeans invaded. Like years, not decades, the blood still fresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

moths posted:

Wait why are

Native Americans is a pretty large group of people; all the people of two continents for perhaps 12,000 thousand years or more, with a projected max population of over 50 million. There are numerous groups that saw different paths to survival, some of which involved cooperation, some of which involved complex gift giving rituals to create a wealth balanced society, and some that utilized warfare to achieve their ends.

It was not uncommon for the Mohawk Iroquois, for example, to take prisoners for the sole purpose of execution, and would make these deaths tortious. Often the torture, rape, and murder would be of the captured warrior's family, with the warrior killed last to ensure they see their family destroyed. Genocide was not uncommon when it came to many groups capturing territory and systemically eliminating all traces of the occupants who were there. Central and Southern American groups would routinely sacrifice prisoners and others, in addition to practicing slavery.

Obviously the scale and the scope pales in comparison that of the Holocaust, but it is certain the Mohawk Iroquois would have completed a total genocide of the Algonquin if they could have reasonably achieved it, and we can assume that many groups we will never know the history of were unfortunate victims of genocide.