Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mr. Squishy posted:

Is Quack the guy who left ducks everywhere at a convention? I'm happy to update him from being a jerk to a crook, I just want to make sure I've got the same guy.
Yeah that's the same guy - it was at Gen Con iirc.

Just dropping ducks off at random distributor booths without asking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah that's the same guy - it was at Gen Con iirc.

Just dropping ducks off at random distributor booths without asking.

Is dropping off merch a con crime now? Feels pretty standard for tech conventions, give out and gather as much merch as you can

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Aramoro posted:

Is dropping off merch a con crime now? Feels pretty standard for tech conventions, give out and gather as much merch as you can

He would just like, sneakily place a duck down on the table of some publisher without saying a word to them and then someone said "hey, take your duck back" he got stroppy. The specifics escape me but it was tedious behaviour.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
He was hiding rubber ducks in vendors booths without permission and people were being annoyingly invasive looking for them. The vendors had no idea what was going on. Gencon told him to cut it out, he made a big whiny video about the whole thing.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Aramoro posted:

I looked more into this and apparently he was trying to turn it into a scavenger hunt for his viewers for content and he did it without asking the vendors or GenCon. Even if it's not malicious it's clearly just stupid, not to mention how annoying it would be for an exhibitor who paid for their spot at the con to be used for promoting some YouTuber's channel for free.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

interrodactyl posted:

I looked more into this and apparently he was trying to turn it into a scavenger hunt for his viewers for content and he did it without asking the vendors or GenCon. Even if it's not malicious it's clearly just stupid, not to mention how annoying it would be for an exhibitor who paid for their spot at the con to be used for promoting some YouTuber's channel for free.

It does feel like pretty whatever convention drama. It's pretty dumb but didn't cause any actual harm. That said I've no idea who he is or whatever else he's done so I'll take it on trust he's a bad guy.

Someone got kicked out of our local convention for trying to run a nazi rpg, they only kicked him out after other people started walking. That's proper convention drama.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Aramoro posted:

Someone got kicked out of our local convention for trying to run a nazi rpg, they only kicked him out after other people started walking. That's proper convention drama.

That’s nothing, I’ve them larping outside with little red hats

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

KaptainKrunk posted:

what's this thread's opinion on the various boss battlers out there (KDM, Oathsworn, Aeon Trespass, etc)?

My group loves Oathsworn. The non-combat section has some decent meat to the puzzles and variety. The writing and world is interesting. The app is really nice for taking care of a ton of fiddly bits and really speeds up the non-combat portion of the game.

The combat itself is definitely some of the best we've played in the cooperative combat genre (Gloomhaven, Middara, Too Many Bones, etc). While I adore Gloomhaven's combat system, it's a bit too heavy for our group and takes a long time for people to make decisions. Oathsworn threads the needle of giving you enough choices and options without putting you into analysis paralysis.

The developers have created threads on Boardgame Geek for each level of the game, which is great for looking up rules edge cases or trying to figure out how something works.

The character variety in Oathsworn is also great, the characters all play very differently. That's the one gotcha, you could end up hating the character you start with if the playstyle doesn't work for you. I didn't like my first character, but really like my second.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Aramoro posted:

It does feel like pretty whatever convention drama. It's pretty dumb but didn't cause any actual harm. That said I've no idea who he is or whatever else he's done so I'll take it on trust he's a bad guy.
Oh yeah, it's just a dumb move, but it led some companies to kinda distance themselves from him nonetheless.

This weird extortion thing is a way bigger deal, imo.

Even before any of this, his channel was garbage, though. Just shallow, mostly-sponsored content about future kickstarters. Dude doesn't seem to have a very good grasp of the games he plays.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

dwarf74 posted:

Dude doesn't seem to have a very good grasp of the games he plays.
No clue what you could mean

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
how about when quack did the vampire chapters review and kept saying “calamara” instead of “camarilla” in his best, serious movie narrator voice with dramatic sweeping closeups

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
If you want to waste 36 minutes of your life, watch his play of Illiterati.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asv1Pa7BJTY

It... doesn't make him look very bright. Fun game though.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Here's more details. Plus... screenshots!

https://boardgamewire.com/index.php...00-sponsorship/

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Statement and receipts from the publisher: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tXH4U1eCTBjQ7h8qng_-dDpW54tZRvWm/view

E; fb: Dwarf :arghfist:

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
https://twitter.com/IsaacChildres/status/1660074532848402432

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I’ve never heard of this Quackalope channel. Are they really as influential as the game developer purports?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

SettingSun posted:

I’ve never heard of this Quackalope channel. Are they really as influential as the game developer purports?

Only to the subset of the hobby that have thousands of dollars wrapped up in Kickstarter at any given time

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Isaac with the steel chair!

So you probably noticed Frosthaven came out recently. When the first copies were rolling out, some media folks got review copies in that batch. They were asked mostly to keep low on spoilers, no gameplay videos until a certain date, etc.

One of the requests - the main one, in bold caps - was not to stream Scenario 4 of Frosthaven. There's a few reasons for this, but they're mostly around keeping surprises as surprises when most people didn't even have their game yet.

Quack's first gameplay video?

You guessed it.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Bottom Liner posted:

Only to the subset of the hobby that have thousands of dollars wrapped up in Kickstarter at any given time

Weird that he would think that a positive unboxing video followed up with videos about the game not being fun would have enough pull with that crowd to be effective as blackmail.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

Isaac with the steel chair!

So you probably noticed Frosthaven came out recently. When the first copies were rolling out, some media folks got review copies in that batch. They were asked mostly to keep low on spoilers, no gameplay videos until a certain date, etc.

One of the requests - the main one, in bold caps - was not to stream Scenario 4 of Frosthaven. There's a few reasons for this, but they're mostly around keeping surprises as surprises when most people didn't even have their game yet.

Quack's first gameplay video?

You guessed it.

I hope we get more dirt uncovered on Quack. man gently caress that guy, because of that video there's now people freaking out about the game being unplayable

I was subbed and enjoyed watching some of his videos, I was well aware they were ads but all of this other stuff is way over the line. I gotta find better youtubers lol

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Assuming the kindest interpretation of those emails, he's still clearly saying his opinion on board games can be bought, so his reviews are worthless.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

interrodactyl posted:

Assuming the kindest interpretation of those emails, he's still clearly saying his opinion on board games can be bought, so his reviews are worthless.

I'd be surprised if Quackalope continues to review games. Nobody with an actual good game is going to give him comps now, so if he does a video on a game you'll know it's bad - which means the bad game designers won't give him comps either. Plus, every time he does post a new positive review he's going to be brigaded.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

SettingSun posted:

He's probably one of the fastest growing board game channels that I am aware of. I remember seeing him when he started, got big early by doing some Root content where Leder was trying to boost smaller voices, similar to Lord of the Board. The closest other comp I can see by channel start date and size is probably 3 Minute Board Games who is bigger and better and started 10 months earlier. He was also the one above providing Issac with the metal chair.

Quack Guy has been low-key weird for a while. There's some other stuff, like allegations that his day job is being a photographer who did gigs for the Tea Party etc. I saw somewhat early amd he had a few vlogs about motivation that I thought were fairly sincere but soon I realized his board game content was trashy and sensationalist so I stopped watching.

Want other smaller channels that might not be so trash? I've watched fewer than 5 of each of these channel's vids, but they seem good so far.

Our Family Plays Games
Shelfside (with an unfortunate recent collab with the Quack Guy)
Thinker Themer
Foster the Meeple (I have actually watched zero videos from them, but I hear them mentioned on board game podcasts all the time. I should recitfy that.)

Also, in doing some research and checking SocialBlade I noticed some good news: Watch it Played has almost as many subscribers as The Dice Tower now. They were both surpassed by SUSD, which should be no surprise. Rodney's pivot into more news content has seemingly been healthy for the channel which is sensible considering the way YouTube works.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Magnetic North posted:

Want other smaller channels that might not be so trash? I've watched fewer than 5 of each of these channel's vids, but they seem good so far.

Our Family Plays Games
Shelfside (with an unfortunate recent collab with the Quack Guy)
Thinker Themer
Foster the Meeple (I have actually watched zero videos from them, but I hear them mentioned on board game podcasts all the time. I should recitfy that.)

I like all of these except Shelfside I haven't watched (so can't comment).
I also recommend (sorry fancy linking is hard on phone)
Room & Board - he does a good "5 reasons not to back" series on any crowdfunding campaign that hits 1mill, also he's intertaining and a proponent of not blowing your money on endless cruft.
Actualol - just great, funny content about games that actually exist already - also fairly ethically driven in his recommendations.
Board of It - they do fairly nice reviews. They're a bit to get used to in their presentation, but their reviews tend to be good talks about what the game is and offers, rather than focusing on their personal opinions, which is helpful to me.
The Brother's Murph - actually my favourite board game channel. They tend not to do reviews so much as 1-5minute overviews, and then actual plays and board game lists (a la Dice Tower, except they're not annoying). Their banter and on screen energy is great (in a way only brothers can be) and they do regular 3-5 game marathons of old and new games that are just fun to watch

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Spiteski posted:

I also recommend (sorry fancy linking is hard on phone)

I got you fam. :c00l:

Spiteski posted:

Room & Board - he does a good "5 reasons not to back" series on any crowdfunding campaign that hits 1mill, also he's intertaining and a proponent of not blowing your money on endless cruft.
Actualol - just great, funny content about games that actually exist already - also fairly ethically driven in his recommendations.
Board of It - they do fairly nice reviews. They're a bit to get used to in their presentation, but their reviews tend to be good talks about what the game is and offers, rather than focusing on their personal opinions, which is helpful to me.
The Brother's Murph - actually my favourite board game channel. They tend not to do reviews so much as 1-5minute overviews, and then actual plays and board game lists (a la Dice Tower, except they're not annoying). Their banter and on screen energy is great (in a way only brothers can be) and they do regular 3-5 game marathons of old and new games that are just fun to watch

Never seen Board of It before. I have seen a few Room and Board reviews, and he seems good. Same with the Brothers Murph; I've seen some of their colabs and heard them on This Game Is Broken. They are super enthusiastic and love the poo poo out of games and gaming.

Actuallol is a super pro click. I'd say he's underrated but he has almost as many subs as Radho so he's hardly small anymore. In my opinion, he's got a perfect blend of entertainment and information and often talks about a topic about gaming instead of about a specific game, moreso than I feel many other channels do.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

You're amazing! I should also add - board of it and room and board both have cute furry friends that frequently pop up on videos which is just more points in their favour.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

yes please share alternatives. i think i've been watching all the bad youtubers this whole time

i actually randomly watched Room & Board recently and that seems fine

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
A page behind but on Glory to Rome / innovation, I think they many years ago used to enjoy a better reputation as there were far fewer good games in that space. Glory to Rome was a grail game for a while (before the reprint) as the top tier of fairly fast playing tech-y card games was really it and Race for the Galaxy, at least as far as reputations on BGG go for small packages with a lot of gameplay.

But over the last decade there has been a massive explosion in great, meaty card games at all playtimes, levels of complexity and interaction. RFTG has held up but I think not Glory of Rome or Innovation. There are so many interesting card based games of every variety now, nothing like 10-15 years ago. This has happened across a range of genres I think. My personal theory is that the main genre of classics that have really held up against newer contenders have been highly interactive euros like the Knizia auction and tile layers, Hansa Teutonica, etc, mostly because the euro market tilted heavily into worker placement and less confrontational stuff from Princes of Florence on, until we started getting a lot of high profile/crowd sourced reprints. I think there are more recent exceptions like Concordia, Beyond the Sun, Ankh, Keyflower but also I feel that’s the area for card games which has seen a lot of improvement.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Blamestorm posted:

Glory to Rome was a grail game for a while (before the reprint)

Wasn't the reprint a catastrophic fuckup that resulted in few games produces, an argument on who owned the rights to the game, and Chudyk declaring himself done with the whole ordeal?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Quackalope is pivoting to a new business model where he blackmails publishers to give him money or else he'll make a good review of a game, which will make it look like the publisher is paying for good reviews.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Mr. Squishy posted:

Wasn't the reprint a catastrophic fuckup that resulted in few games produces, an argument on who owned the rights to the game, and Chudyk declaring himself done with the whole ordeal?

Black Box actually produced the games, but I think a whole region like Europe or Australia never received their copies. The rest of what you wrote is true, however.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Morpheus posted:

Quackalope is pivoting to a new business model where he blackmails publishers to give him money or else he'll make a good review of a game, which will make it look like the publisher is paying for good reviews.

He pronounces monster as "munster."

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
all youtube content is either sellout shill trash or wannabe sellout shill trash

play games, do crime, roll 6s

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

garthoneeye posted:

Black Box actually produced the games, but I think a whole region like Europe or Australia never received their copies. The rest of what you wrote is true, however.

Yeah the “grail game” vibe slowed down a lot after that. I don’t know how many out of print games there are these days that people still chase. The ones that maybe come to mind are Blue Moon, El Grande (but getting a reprint soon and I think there are a lot of cheap copies out there), Ankh Morpork (if the theme is vital over Nanty Nanking), LOTR: the confrontation, maybe Nexus Ops for some people, maybe Space Hulk between reprints. Cthulu Wars feels to me almost like a grail game even though it’s nominally available because I just can’t deal mentally with cost or storage. I own Napoleons Triumph (unplayed and unstickered!) but I guess that’s one for some. I think I read there is another game with the same system coming out though?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Triomphe a Marengo, yeah, but it's more a revised edition of the processor for NT. Not quite the same system, but many similarities.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
finally, I can live out my dream of being brujah DIO

its like gloomhaven, except instead of "having fun killing enemies", you "roll the dice to see if I'm getting drunk"

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Mr. Squishy posted:

Ars Technica did a rundown of all the info we're ever gonna get about what happened.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Blamestorm posted:

Yeah the “grail game” vibe slowed down a lot after that. I don’t know how many out of print games there are these days that people still chase. The ones that maybe come to mind are Blue Moon, El Grande (but getting a reprint soon and I think there are a lot of cheap copies out there), Ankh Morpork (if the theme is vital over Nanty Nanking), LOTR: the confrontation, maybe Nexus Ops for some people, maybe Space Hulk between reprints. Cthulu Wars feels to me almost like a grail game even though it’s nominally available because I just can’t deal mentally with cost or storage. I own Napoleons Triumph (unplayed and unstickered!) but I guess that’s one for some. I think I read there is another game with the same system coming out though?

Dogs of War is a grail game, but also getting a reprint soon I believe. And unless it gets picked up by someone I can see Asterix: Caesar's Empire becoming one. It's a really nice little route builder that plays in 40 minutes with 5, has a very popular theme, and the publisher - Holy Grail Games, ironically - went out of business with most of the stock trapped in the warehouse.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

PRADA SLUT posted:

finally, I can live out my dream of being brujah DIO

its like gloomhaven, except instead of "having fun killing enemies", you "roll the dice to see if I'm getting drunk"
Did you get any shipping notification for yours? Don't think Ive seen any updates on my pledge since the initial contribution

Would love to hear how the first few sessions go, as I dont think I'll even be able to get this on the table for a few months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
My grail game story is that I was in communications with the designer who was acting as an interpreter and negotiator with a small FLGS based out of Argentina in order to try and grab a copy of Imperios Millenaros. Heavy Cardboard said they loved it and it's a civilisation game so already I want it.

Literally know nothing else about it.

Also when did Tigris and Euphrates become a grail game to people, aren't there a million copies floating around?

Blamestorm posted:

The ones that maybe come to mind are Blue Moon, El Grande (but getting a reprint soon and I think there are a lot of cheap copies out there),

I've got an FFG Blue Moon game that I tried to put on the table but my wife took one look and walked away. Was that a reprint/remake/sequel? El Grande is so good, surprised it ever went out of print. As charming as it is you could probably play around with it and condense everything so you don't have a hilariously enormous box for it.