Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013

Stirdog posted:

New humble bundle for deck builders has some titles the thread has liked. Gives me a reason to try Alina of the Arena

Humble Bundle

Got the bundle too and like others it seems i already had Alina of the arena so here is a free key: 80IAE-2THZT-KR2IE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

GoldenPrice posted:

Got the bundle too and like others it seems i already had Alina of the arena so here is a free key: 80IAE-2THZT-KR2IE

Snagged this. Thanks!

e: It has now been over 3 months since Darkgod said the beta for the next TOME expac was right around the corner. I'm crying....

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 20, 2023

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
achra is a good holdover until tome update

my most broken character was a druid with the ally death god, setting up some bleed ally damage chain and having the chest piece that did death damage to an enemy when you damaged an ally, and the aoe damage on kill staff. blowing up a room on wait from damage ally -> kill ally -> heal tugar/grave and damage enemy loop

next best was snakeform with two poison weapons that ended up doing long hit chains on single target with sickness spread

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

if anyone is still sleepin on Roboquest I am here again to tell you it's really good

just the breadth and feel of the arsenal is incredible, the game has a shitload of guns and they all feel good. a lot are references to weapons in other FPS games, and they manage to duplicate the feel of the originals and translate it to a PVE game really well. Like the Scout Sniper is the CS scout rifle, and it feels really snappy like the CS version and isn't like hampered by the random loot elements. They're all modelled and animated very lovingly too, and have the little comic book sound effects as they fire and animate so like people who can't hear get more of a sense of the weapon. but the comic book elements aren't overpowering or annoying either, they're small and quick and limited to the visual area kind of already occupied by the weapon, not covering up your vision like in some games that have done the same.

also cmon, the flak cannon is in it!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

juggalo baby coffin posted:

drat, this is all you had to say. I actually played this maybe 6 months ago and really liked it but there were enough doors that were blocked off with a "COMING SOON" banner on them that made me want to put it down until that kind of stuff got finished. It's on Gamepass though so I might have to check this out again either way.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

poo poo; double post

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Roboquest is great, but my one complaint about it is that the metaprogression is really loving slow. You can beat the game on only like the second or third tier of upgrades (I did), but it'll probably take you quite a few runs to get there, and gating some of the more important QoL upgrades (wider selections from chests, more shops, a choice of starter guns, etc) behind that much playtime feels like a pretty bad design decision.

That said, it's still a blast if you like fast-paced arcadey shooters with a bit of roguelite chaos mixed in. You can end up with some radically different playstyles depending on the weapons and perks you choose. The co-op's pretty good too, in my experience, though it can feel a lot more hectic just from the increased amount of projectiles and other distractions flying around.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It seems it's close to the 1.0 release, so I'm waiting for that.

Ashurbanipal
Jun 2, 2010
after reading about caves of qud in the morrowind thread on here (of all places) I have been extremely enjoying it, like extremely. was hoping to explore the roguelike genre in a little bit more detail, and kept seeing "Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead" (CDDA) pop up in relation to caves of qud. I would really like to jump into "the" roguelike, like the preeminent game of the genre (though maybe I'm misguided in thinking any games would represent what I'm talking about).

a lot of "tier lists" and what not with the word "roguelike" in them don't really seem to include the type of game I'm looking for... would you all say that CDDA is "the" big roguelike game I should be looking into next, or is there another title that has the kind of universal recognition I'm looking for?

I should include the bizarro world, extradimensional, "cosmic horror," aspects of caves of qud being mirrored in CDDA really drew me to look more into CDDA; not sure if any other recommendations would have the same kind of themes.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Ashurbanipal posted:

after reading about caves of qud in the morrowind thread on here (of all places) I have been extremely enjoying it, like extremely. was hoping to explore the roguelike genre in a little bit more detail, and kept seeing "Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead" (CDDA) pop up in relation to caves of qud. I would really like to jump into "the" roguelike, like the preeminent game of the genre (though maybe I'm misguided in thinking any games would represent what I'm talking about).

a lot of "tier lists" and what not with the word "roguelike" in them don't really seem to include the type of game I'm looking for... would you all say that CDDA is "the" big roguelike game I should be looking into next, or is there another title that has the kind of universal recognition I'm looking for?

I should include the bizarro world, extradimensional, "cosmic horror," aspects of caves of qud being mirrored in CDDA really drew me to look more into CDDA; not sure if any other recommendations would have the same kind of themes.

CDDA is rad, tho it does have allot of issues, and has multiple development branches at this point that seek to provide radically different experiences from eachother. If you enjoy needlessly complicated systems baseline Dark Days Ahead is like crack, while Brighter Nights is aiming for a more arcade feel and heavily pulling back from some of the more 'realism for realism's sake' stuff DDA is doing; I don't have much experience with BN as I can't live without the controversial pockets system of DDA.
Go check out the CDDA thread tho! It's pretty active right now what with the recent stable update on mainline and user crossover from the active let's play going on.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

if anyone is still sleepin on Roboquest I am here again to tell you it's really good

just the breadth and feel of the arsenal is incredible, the game has a shitload of guns and they all feel good. a lot are references to weapons in other FPS games, and they manage to duplicate the feel of the originals and translate it to a PVE game really well. Like the Scout Sniper is the CS scout rifle, and it feels really snappy like the CS version and isn't like hampered by the random loot elements. They're all modelled and animated very lovingly too, and have the little comic book sound effects as they fire and animate so like people who can't hear get more of a sense of the weapon. but the comic book elements aren't overpowering or annoying either, they're small and quick and limited to the visual area kind of already occupied by the weapon, not covering up your vision like in some games that have done the same.

It has the shock rifle too! :hellyeah:

But 2nding or 3rding that I'm waiting for 1.0. Everything about it has looked amazing, but I want a finished game to dig into. Heck, I don't think the Flak was in the game since I last checked in on it!

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 21, 2023

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Ashurbanipal posted:

Most traditional freeware roguelikes are typical D&D-influenced western-european fantasy. There is Infra Arcana though, which is based on Lovecraft. It just had an update not that long ago. You would imagine science fiction as a genre would also be quite popular among the same crowd but for whatever reason it's always been a much less popular theme for roguelikes.

I don't think there's anything out there that tops Qud for worldbuilding.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TOOT BOOT posted:

Most traditional freeware roguelikes are typical D&D-influenced western-european fantasy. There is Infra Arcana though, which is based on Lovecraft. It just had an update not that long ago. You would imagine science fiction as a genre would also be quite popular among the same crowd but for whatever reason it's always been a much less popular theme for roguelikes.

I don't think there's anything out there that tops Qud for worldbuilding.

seconding infra arcana as i am still forever obsessed with it

structurally it's quite different from qud tho in that it's more of a "coffee break" roguelike where your runs might only last for minutes and death is around every corner. the atmosphere and everything in the game is beyond good tho

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
They aren't traditional roguelikes but Sunless Sea / Skies have the best astral horror story content I've explored. Vvardenfell would also be right at home on Sea's map. Darkest Dungeon nails the weird horror aesthetic but the actual lore isn't much.

"The" roguelike would probably be Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, Tales of Maj'Eyal, or Qud. Or at least I think of those as the most popular traditional RLs. Crawl and TOME aren't big lore games though (though they do have some astral horror stuff). When Dwarf Fortress adventure mode gets rolled into the Steam release that will probably generate a bunch of interest.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 21, 2023

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Sunless Sea and Skies are great but honestly not really roguelikes at all. Like, not even talking traditionally. Permadeath is fully optional and the only thing that changes if you start a new run is the relative positioning of stuff.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.

Kanos posted:

Alina is a good, fun game, but IMO Chrono Ark is the real winner of this bundle. It takes the deckbuilder genre and goes in a wildly different direction with it than most knockoff attempts and succeeds brilliantly.

I got the bundle for Alina and Chrono Ark. So far I did one run of CA and I like it. I was hesitant at first since usually the anime aesthetic is a turnoff.

Like another poster said it tries to do something unique with deck building and the battles themselves have some different mechanics than the usual "here's some mana here's your mana cost cards, enjoy."

I don't know if it will be a longer term play for me but I appreciate them trying to shake up the usual formula.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Ashurbanipal posted:

the top review for A Door in the Woods describes it as Infra Arcana crossed with C:DDA, so maybe give that one a shot too. it's not a big sprawling game like Qud, more of a coffee break style game, but it's full of lovecraftian atmosphere

to actually answer your question about the preeminent traditional roguelike, qud, dungeon crawl stone soup, and TOME are the biggest names. personally, the one game i'd recommend to introduce someone to the entire genre of traditional roguelikes would be Brogue. It has great atmosphere/aesthetics/ui and it's extremely tightly designed. everything extraneous is cut away leaving a very pure expression of the genre

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Quasimorph, formerly Quasimorphosis: Exordium, has a first chapter Prologue thing landing in a few days for some sci-fi trappings of a sort:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2347110/Quasimorph_End_of_Dream/

quote:

Quasimorph: End of Dream is the first chapter of the extract turn-based RPG Quasimorph. Confront your fears in brutal shootouts with PMC-fighters and demons and try to survive to complete your mission and bring the gear back to your spaceship!

Every mercenary is looking for that one job that will allow them to retire. And it seems that you've just stumbled upon one: the AnCom corporation is asking you to retrieve the intellectual assets of the Fresco corporation.

Gather your gear, prepare your clones, and get ready for the start of a story that will forever change the Solar System.

Level the Playing Field. At Any Cost.
Become the boss of your own Private Military Company: carry out orders from corporations, earn reputation with your blood and sweat. Explore planetary bases, secret labs, and wreckage of spaceships to find new technologies, abilities, and other items that will help you level the playing field during operations.

Make mistakes. Overcome and become better.
Remember that you have an advantage: clone the best employees and send them to certain death to probe the weaknesses of your opponents. There is no need to risk valuable human assets and expose your PMC to unnecessary legal risks, but nobody cares about the fate of a clones.

Don't Bury Yourself Under Crossfire.
Corporations hire ruthless mercenaries to carry out their shadow operations. Demons distort human nature and pervert human evolution. Gather a team of professionals, count your ammo, and keep track of your equipment to be prepared for any perversions of this space slaughter.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hooplah posted:

to actually answer your question about the preeminent traditional roguelike, qud, dungeon crawl stone soup, and TOME are the biggest names. personally, the one game i'd recommend to introduce someone to the entire genre of traditional roguelikes would be Brogue. It has great atmosphere/aesthetics/ui and it's extremely tightly designed. everything extraneous is cut away leaving a very pure expression of the genre
seconding this

brogue is a fantastic game with a terrible name, tho i guess that's not untypical for roguelikes. if there is one thing i wish it had (and honestly this goes for almost every roguelike) it would be some ambient sounds and sound effects, because as weird as that sounds for an ascii-based game it just adds a tremendous amount of atmosphere. infra arcana has spoiled me completely on this and it makes all other roguelikes feel less immersive to me :negative:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Ashurbanipal posted:

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is one of the 'big' ones from the heyday still being actively polished. Brogue is a gem, but its minimalism didn't seem to foster a strong community for some reason? I'd vote against TOME, and throw in my personal favorite Angband variant: Sil, but it's a very obscure title. There are many other modern RLs out there but honestly if you peek at DCSS and Brogue you'll have a great idea of popular RL roots, and hey, they're free!

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Ashurbanipal posted:

I'm going to do the obnoxious thing and say I think Nethack is a legitimately very good game and my vote for "the" traditional roguelike. At one point this would have been the standard answer, but it has a bad reputation now apparently. I think it's a straight up better game than the alternatives, DCSS, ADOM, Angband, etc though. It's probably harder than them, but it's not THAT hard. You basically have to memorize the wiki and know how all of the systems and mechanics work (and just reroll until you get a magic lamp) but that's not cheating, that's the point of the game, like secrets in the NES legend of zelda. The other traditional ascii roguelikes are much easier but also much simpler and have fewer complex systems interacting, and are just kind of boring IMO. You may as well just play Diablo instead of Angband. DCSS is the better of the remaining three, ADOM and Angband are just kind of bad IMO

Brogue is good too though, along with many other more modern games, although I’m not sure there is any one that is much more influential than others. My point is only regarding the old, trad, ascii games

I guess Brogue, Necrodancer and DoomRL (DRL now?) are my votes for modern roguelikes. And Dwarf Fortress

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 21, 2023

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Hooplah posted:

the top review for A Door in the Woods describes it as Infra Arcana crossed with C:DDA, so maybe give that one a shot too. it's not a big sprawling game like Qud, more of a coffee break style game, but it's full of lovecraftian atmosphere

Door in the woods was interesting but the dev abandoned it basically instantly so there's very little to do in it last I looked. I got suckered into buying it when it came out too so I'm a bit biased.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Nethack was too impenetrable; newbie guides included things like walking your pet over items to see if they'd shy away so you know if it's cursed, and a whole loving article on writing Elbereth. The game was also inscrutable by design, nobody wants to read through a wiki before they're allowed to get good; for contrast I played and finished Zelda1 as a kid with nothing more that a lot of free afternoons. Nethack had a reputation back in the day, and there's probably a reason everybody's avoided it since. The kitchen sink does not make up for it, imo.

------

Edit: Oh man, the OPs in this thread really could use an update. It's been nine years!

Serephina fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 21, 2023

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I think the reputation is unfair; It’s not THAT complicated, and it’s not like the mechanics in the other ascii roguelikes are spelled out to the player in simple format, even in modern games like Qud. A number of the systems in nethack are basically irrelevant, like identifying rings with sinks is never worth it because it destroys the ring and you can just use id scrolls. The pet AI sucks but you can simply play without them. Stealing from shops is basically never worth it, there’s more than enough money to buy everything you see in shops. Polypiling is another complex system that is almost never worth the effort. The game is much less complicated than Dwarf Fortress IMO, even including the systems you're better off ignoring

Then you have wishing and genocide that are very powerful, complex but not TOO complex systems that aren’t really matched in any other game IMO. It’s not a kitchen sink thing, some of the features in nethack are legitimately really cool and well designed. I disagree with the theory that you should never have to consult a manual or reference to play a game or it's too complex, you can go too far with it but I don't think nethack actually does

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 21, 2023

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
It is true that NetHack has a bunch of nonsense that is only intended for the player to laugh at rather than actually use, but it does have useful and inscrutable mechanics. Price identification immediately comes to mind as an example, as does knowing which corpses are edible. A good NetHack player will also pick up a list of stupid tricks, like kicking rocks before picking them up to identify loadstones.

NetHack players winning unspoiled were practically unheard of; it was a common volley in roguelike wars back in the day that in contrast, people regularly won DCSS without looking anything up. Ah, simpler times.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
In nostalgia-tinged hindsight, I of course remember everything in Nethack fondly. Except Gehennom being like 40 floors. That poo poo sucks then and sucked now. Need to get the DCSS dev team as a ringer to revamp that part of the game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
my memory is terrible so i can't remember if i asked this before but does anyone know of any first person dungeon crawler games similar to etrian odyssey (so, turn-based) that are also run-based? like you just make a party and head on down a dungeon, roguelike style

darkest dungeon 2 kinda fits the bill except there's no dungeon crawling and you're just riding along a linear road sts-style, i'd love something that's more.... dungeon-y. i recently realized that this is kinda what i always wanted darkest dungeon 1 to be but that game (in addition to a lot of other things) isn't something i'd really call 'run-based'

e: something i've been thinking about in general is just how much i want "game type i enjoy but run-based" because my brain is bad and a lot of time i struggle to sit down and get into a game and it's much easier to just do a run in a run-based game. i think this is probably one of the reasons why i've spent an ungodly amount of time playing the binding of isaac even tho i don't even like the game that much, it's just perfect to play on autopilot

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 07:12 on May 21, 2023

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Serephina posted:

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is one of the 'big' ones from the heyday still being actively polished. Brogue is a gem, but its minimalism didn't seem to foster a strong community for some reason? I'd vote against TOME, and throw in my personal favorite Angband variant: Sil, but it's a very obscure title. There are many other modern RLs out there but honestly if you peek at DCSS and Brogue you'll have a great idea of popular RL roots, and hey, they're free!

I was about to post Sil. Beutifully thematic game, if very understated. It's a game where the most exciting thing that will happen in a play session is a band of roving orcs passing by your hiding spot without noticing you.

I also think Cogmind is worth checking out for anyone that likes Qud. The player expression by means of various ordnance is unmatched. The SFX is soo good, higher-end and experimental weapons get unearthly

Kind of an even bigger pain to figure out than a lot of roguelikes though. There's 65 ways to hack a robot

Ramie fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 21, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
We must have similar tastes! I am the biggest Cogmind enthusiast, but it's not something I'd suggest to neophytes trying to learn the genre. We do need more paid products like it, the sfx is top notch.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Some parts of Roboquest feel great but there are other parts that just feel bad. The boss fights are either very easy or incredibly frustrating. Despite the weapons all feeling good, the vast majority of them are relatively useless compared to the handful that are on an entirely different echelon of utility (heat-seeking rocket miniguns with instant reload that do as much explosion damage as other guns do bullet damage), so I often find myself sticking with one weapon through an entire run. A run is extremely long and the later biomes become a massive slog. There are several ways to make reloads instant so weapons that are balanced by a long reload have a clear advantage over others.

All of that being said it's aesthetically the closest thing to a modern 3d Megaman and that aspect of it owns, and the gameplay does feel good despite most of it being easy to outplay by just never stopping moving.

E: one example of how the weapon balance is screwy is that there's an (admittedly cool) gun that is a large defensive turret that you carry around, and its alt fire places a turret that shoots at enemies. This is (afaik) the only weapon in the game that can continue being effective while you swap to another weapon, meaning that for "ideal" play you want it as your secondary weapon every single run, because it effectively doubles your firepower.

future edit: I should clarify it's absolutely not hard enough that you need to hunt down that turret every run, it's just clearly more useful than other secondary weapons.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 21, 2023

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Your Computer posted:

my memory is terrible so i can't remember if i asked this before but does anyone know of any first person dungeon crawler games similar to etrian odyssey (so, turn-based) that are also run-based? like you just make a party and head on down a dungeon, roguelike style

darkest dungeon 2 kinda fits the bill except there's no dungeon crawling and you're just riding along a linear road sts-style, i'd love something that's more.... dungeon-y. i recently realized that this is kinda what i always wanted darkest dungeon 1 to be but that game (in addition to a lot of other things) isn't something i'd really call 'run-based'

e: something i've been thinking about in general is just how much i want "game type i enjoy but run-based" because my brain is bad and a lot of time i struggle to sit down and get into a game and it's much easier to just do a run in a run-based game. i think this is probably one of the reasons why i've spent an ungodly amount of time playing the binding of isaac even tho i don't even like the game that much, it's just perfect to play on autopilot

Chrono Ark could fit your criteria. The dungeon exploration isn't first person, but the combat is, and it's run based. The combat is card based, but you have a full party that all contributes their own cards to the deck/hand and shares resources.

It also has a shockingly extensive story for a run-based roguelite.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Revita

Anyone have any tips on how to open the chest in the Old Photo room? I tried looking this up but my Google fu is not strong enough.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
Path of Achra kicks rear end.

Sat down and looked at the skill tree for a bit and then mapped out this monstrosity which snapped the game in half for my first win.

Basically the gist of it is to have infinite dodge, then counterattack things on dodge, wherein your counterattacks involve 9+ punches which all fire off lightning blasts and build up stacks of Charged on yourself so everything starts doing wacky amounts of damage very quickly. I don't think I took damage after the midgame. Things would swing at me once and then get counterattacked into dust like a Fist of The North Star stock footage attack.

I like the way this game structures itself, in that you just go from encounter to encounter with no filler. Makes for a good game to fire up when you haven't got that much time.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Any good recent coffee-break roguelikes? I'm talking of turn-based stuff with like 20 min runs. Something along the lines of Madcap Mosaic I mentioned myself a few pages ago, but I'm looking for smth new now. I like deckbuilders, but my StS runs tend to be around 30 mins, I think, and all the other ones I've tried have been way longer.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Burning Rain posted:

Any good recent coffee-break roguelikes? I'm talking of turn-based stuff with like 20 min runs. Something along the lines of Madcap Mosaic I mentioned myself a few pages ago, but I'm looking for smth new now. I like deckbuilders, but my StS runs tend to be around 30 mins, I think, and all the other ones I've tried have been way longer.

You probably have seen it on the last pages but in case you haven't: Path of Achra fits this quite well.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Ashurbanipal posted:

In addition to the other suggestions, I'd say give Omega a spin, and I think ADOM gets short shrift for a lot of reasons but is pretty legendary.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

nrook posted:

It is true that NetHack has a bunch of nonsense that is only intended for the player to laugh at rather than actually use, but it does have useful and inscrutable mechanics. Price identification immediately comes to mind as an example, as does knowing which corpses are edible. A good NetHack player will also pick up a list of stupid tricks, like kicking rocks before picking them up to identify loadstones.

NetHack players winning unspoiled were practically unheard of; it was a common volley in roguelike wars back in the day that in contrast, people regularly won DCSS without looking anything up. Ah, simpler times.

I certainly didn't get an ascension or anything, but Nethack was my introduction to roguelikes when I was like 11 years old and maybe part of it was being younger in a different era of gaming and having a higher tolerance for bullshit (goes for stuff like Zelda 1 too) but I didn't find it terribly inscrutable. Like you say, there are a lot of useful mechanics that you'd never normally stumble upon, but if you don't know they exist the game is still playable at a disadvantage. Whatever I got out of it at the time was enough to forever hook me on the genre, so at least there's that! (Then I got into ADOM which is probably more heinous than Nethack on a lot of levels lol)

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

deep dish peat moss posted:

E: one example of how the weapon balance is screwy is that there's an (admittedly cool) gun that is a large defensive turret that you carry around, and its alt fire places a turret that shoots at enemies. This is (afaik) the only weapon in the game that can continue being effective while you swap to another weapon, meaning that for "ideal" play you want it as your secondary weapon every single run, because it effectively doubles your firepower.

Wrong!! If you take the turret gun you cannot benefit from the perk that makes it so you have only one gun but do more damage. You take that with a good gun and then blow everything the gently caress up forever. Never swap, never think, only do violence at every moment

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I run the trinket thing that gives me a third weapon slot so I still get to take two guns after taking that perk :colbert: (but I don't know why because I never swap!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Artelier posted:

Revita

Anyone have any tips on how to open the chest in the Old Photo room? I tried looking this up but my Google fu is not strong enough.

You should already be familiar with the lock on the chest...

And the door is now permanently opened...

Just tell me already: Do the same heart key quest again.

More specific spoiler about what you get out of it just to save you some potential hassle/confusion: First time you open the chest you get a diary page. From then on, if you open the chest you get two free relics out of it, which isn't too shabby if you can manage it, but isn't necessarily something you'll do every single run.