Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Khanstant posted:

As I recall it would be beyond trivial to explain away the awful "we based our fun franchise on child torture" stuff with the Master saying "haha I tricked you with my evil origin idea"

Basing regeneration on child torture is IMHO, fine, it's dark but like, the franchise has always dealt with dark themes. It's the whole triplete of "The Doctor gets a new backstory to retroactively fix the Brain of Morbius", "the Master destroys Gallifrey literally only a few years after the 50th anniversary was about the Doctor bringing Gallifrey back", and "the First Doctor wasn't the first and apparently the Doctor has always been having adventures and used a blue police box TARDIS" that just doesn't work imo.

But at this point I fully expect RTD to ignore it without decanonizing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I always thought it was hilarious just how enormous of a sonic 11 had.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Wasn't there something about it being a very brittle and delicate prop, and later they replaced it with a modified toy one?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Boxturret posted:

Wasn't there something about it being a very brittle and delicate prop, and later they replaced it with a modified toy one?

I don't know if it was so much brittle as Smith apparently REALLY loved playing with it so he was constantly breaking it.

Kind of reminds me of when they introduced the fez in an episode and Moffat's producer told him,"You have to write an exit strategy for that fez or Matt isn't ever going to let it go." :allears:

Then River just throws it in the air and shoots it! :laugh:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Basing regeneration on child torture is IMHO, fine, it's dark but like, the franchise has always dealt with dark themes. It's the whole triplete of "The Doctor gets a new backstory to retroactively fix the Brain of Morbius", "the Master destroys Gallifrey literally only a few years after the 50th anniversary was about the Doctor bringing Gallifrey back", and "the First Doctor wasn't the first and apparently the Doctor has always been having adventures and used a blue police box TARDIS" that just doesn't work imo.

But at this point I fully expect RTD to ignore it without decanonizing it.

Eh for me it totally deflates any motivation to do anything with Timelords besides destroy them. There are many Doctors real banged up about Galkifrey and poo poo but with considering the new backstory, like, gently caress em. Get some therapy and go live on your true home, Earth, Doctor, don't gotta bend over backwards to resurrect your abusers.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Boxturret posted:

Like J-Ru said, it wasn't brittle, but Smith just loved tossing it around and playing with it (and eventually breaking it), and so they finally bought a bunch of the toys and jigged them up to be screen-worthy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Eh for me it totally deflates any motivation to do anything with Timelords besides destroy them. There are many Doctors real banged up about Galkifrey and poo poo but with considering the new backstory, like, gently caress em. Get some therapy and go live on your true home, Earth, Doctor, don't gotta bend over backwards to resurrect your abusers.

Eh, seems like there'd only be a small handful that were complicit.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It's also true that the 9/10 screwdriver prop was prone to fragility and was eventually replaced by a modified version of the toy.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/handsandstars/status/1653754587365482501?s=46

This loving fandom sometimes :nms:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

If I had to see it, you must all suffer with me.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm glad Twitter embeds are broken.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I assumed the NMS tag was preventing it from embedding? Or that TinTower turned off automatically parsing URLs.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

I think it’s the NMS tag.

The tweet I linked is okay but clicking through is the NMS part.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Love that ridiculous episode.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I know Timelords have two farts, but is that like, per normal fart or two farts per regeneration or what?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
More if they go to Terserus.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Khanstant posted:

I know Timelords have two farts, but is that like, per normal fart or two farts per regeneration or what?

I can't give you an answer, but I promise you that there is fanfiction out there somewhere that covers this exact scenario.

Probably includes the Ogri.

Also I'd watch an Ogri/Weeping Angels crossover.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Eiba posted:

Doctor Who discussions are where I learned a very important truth about internet discourse: people are attracted to what irritates them, blinding them to all else.

Almost every episode there would be someone who said "Why did everyone hate that?" or "Why did everyone love that?" quite often only two or three people out of dozens would have taken the offending position.

The thread during the David Tennant years was particularly hostile. One poster comparing David Tennant to a nazi for accepting "bad" scripts.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Yeah I think maybe the most positive this thread was probably around the Eleventh Hour or so when people warmed up to Smith but hadn't soured on Moffat's showrunning.

There was also a ton of ~age gap discourse~ about the Doctor being sweet on Rose.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Ugh, "Dr Who" was trending on Twitter earlier. RTD teasing spoilers? A pic of the new TARDIS interior?

Nope, bigots and blueticks ranting about "wokery" and how they'll never watch the show again. It's transphobia.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The trending section is fishy as hell, mine always has at least one Star Trek related thing and if I'm fool enough to click it, it's like weeks and months or years old posts, it's just one of the things Twitter knows my account will sometimes click on relative to other bait it puts in there.

It was always a lovely site but now it's a straight up bigot safe space

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Mooseontheloose posted:

The thread during the David Tennant years was particularly hostile. One poster comparing David Tennant to a nazi for accepting "bad" scripts.
Okay, I have to know. Don't want to, but have to: was this just somebody employing hyperbole in some way, like, "everybody who used the Nuremberg defense still hanged," or did they actually compare him not quitting his job when an episode sucked (and pretty much none of his did anyway) with being a loving nazi?

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I think I got my only ever probation for slagging off unicorn and the wasp. Which having watched recently ish had aged ok. Reminded me of the 5th Doctor one orchid something.. short , no aliens. Davison might actually play cricket foe a bit.

Love and monsters has aged well too, apart from the end. But most the episode is nice. And the reading on how obsessive fans ruin everything is taking to the logical conclusion by actually ruining the episode. So yay.

Fear her hasn't aged well though.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Unicorn and the Wasp almost did not age well at all.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ben Soosneb posted:

I think I got my only ever probation for slagging off unicorn and the wasp. Which having watched recently ish had aged ok. Reminded me of the 5th Doctor one orchid something.. short , no aliens. Davison might actually play cricket foe a bit.

Love and monsters has aged well too, apart from the end. But most the episode is nice. And the reading on how obsessive fans ruin everything is taking to the logical conclusion by actually ruining the episode. So yay.

Fear her hasn't aged well though.

Just checked, it was Closing Time you didn't like, and can't blame you.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
According to Catherine Tate apperently each of the specials are going to be 60 minutes. https://vt.tiktok.com/ZSLRea35X/

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Ben Soosneb posted:

Reminded me of the 5th Doctor one orchid something.. short , no aliens.

Black Orchid, which has the bit where someone refers to WG Grace as "the master" (which afaik was not a common nickname, he was much more frequently called "the doctor") and the Doctor panics. It started an obvious running gag in the random classic who watch through groupchat.

(Speaking of which, there's two stories to go - next week is Face of Evil, and then the dice gods have appropriately given us Survival to finish with)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Black Orchid, which has the bit where someone refers to WG Grace as "the master" (which afaik was not a common nickname, he was much more frequently called "the doctor") and the Doctor panics. It started an obvious running gag in the random classic who watch through groupchat.

(Speaking of which, there's two stories to go - next week is Face of Evil, and then the dice gods have appropriately given us Survival to finish with)

:unsmith: There are worlds out there where the sky is burning…

Black Orchid, the show’s last ever pure historical.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

Okay, I have to know. Don't want to, but have to: was this just somebody employing hyperbole in some way, like, "everybody who used the Nuremberg defense still hanged," or did they actually compare him not quitting his job when an episode sucked (and pretty much none of his did anyway) with being a loving nazi?

i am working off memory but it was like Peter in Office Space which was like, you know who else didn't refuse orders? Nazis.

The dude HATED David Tennant, RTD, and modern Doctor Who where he would accuse other people of not getting Doctor Who. He hated the sexy doctor stuff that was in the RTD (and lets face it, Moffat) years.

Keep in mind, this is now almost * shudder * 20 years ago and women were also starting to into Doctor Who too and having more broad appeal and scripts KINDA reflected that. But yah, that's how I recall it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The intersection between "Doctor Who stories must have monsters in them" and Black Orchid ends up in a bad bad place.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

DoctorWhat posted:

Unicorn and the Wasp almost did not age well at all.

:yikes:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Doctor Who is still available on the newly-rebranded Max, which is interesting.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1661386578797772801

I hope they don't keep killing her.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Stupidly, I underestimated how much transphobia would be dogging this season of Doctor Who.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Stupidly, I underestimated how much transphobia would be dogging this season of Doctor Who.
Mmm
Did you accidentally go into the comments on FB? The official account posted the new DWM cover with Yasmin Finney and they were already a dumpster fire about 30 seconds later.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I mean, I know Twitter was not a great place, but ever since Musk, I could kinda be on it without seeing the internet's worst opinions about fan-stuff. No such luck anymore.
I'm getting the worst terf takes from the dumbest people in the world right into a pricy telephone that I agree to have at all times with me!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

The idea that Jinkz Monsoon – or more ridiculously, Yasmin Finney – is over-sexualising a family entertainment show is ridiculous once you realise that one of the Doctor’s recent companions was canonically a sex worker who was so hot that said attractiveness almost accidentally destroyed the universe.

In retrospect, Steven Moffat does not write female characters that well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
the first season had the world's oldest sexiest lastest woman like, fully nude and fully spread i still don't understand how they got away without censor bars on that smokeshow