Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Steve Wiebe.
This poll is closed.
Steve Wiebe. 30 42.25%
Steve Wiebe. 41 57.75%
Total: 48 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Loaded up Prime 2 on the ol' GameCube and oh boy, I'd forgotten that's how the controls were, since I played the remaster of 1 and they modernized the controls.

Didn't play very far since my memory card was full and I didn't feel like scrounging around for another one.
Graphics were pretty good, but they did this weird zoom in on Samus' face in the beginning and it had this weird transparency on the visor as if to show off that, yes, Samus is indeed a lady. Sorry if that's a spoiler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I finished ocarina of time (n64 version on Switch online), I could go on and on about the million problems it has, some nitpickier than others, some endemic to Zelda, some a result of its age, etc. But in the end I came out generally liking it. It is after all an aesthetic triumph, every song a banger, every biome a treat to behold

Most impressive to me in 2023, though, is the camera, weirdly enough. For a game with limited camera comtrol, hardly ever was it an issue, and I was very surprised to find that the lock-on, for being the first or one of the first of its kind, is like 90% as good as modern lock-ons. They (nearly) got it in one!

But yeah the million problems is only barely an exaggeration, my enjoyment while playing vacillated between “quite annoyed” and “pleased (but maybe a little annoyed)”. I was thinking of making a fun lil’ dungeon tier list and the sad truth is, the highest tier would top out at “basically enjoyed” and most dungeons would be lower than that.

So I played through the majora’s mask opening and already feeling very good about it. I’ve never beaten majora’s mask either and also haven’t played it since around the time it came out, so please look forward to more posts.

In like 10 years try Ship of Harkinian, I guarantee whatever is on your list of problems, outside of redesigning the game entirely, it has tweaks to make all those annoying little things go away.

Some of tweaks were things I didn't even think of but once experiencing em go *oh yeah should have always been this way."

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

bone emulator posted:

Loaded up Prime 2 on the ol' GameCube and oh boy, I'd forgotten that's how the controls were, since I played the remaster of 1 and they modernized the controls.

Didn't play very far since my memory card was full and I didn't feel like scrounging around for another one.
Graphics were pretty good, but they did this weird zoom in on Samus' face in the beginning and it had this weird transparency on the visor as if to show off that, yes, Samus is indeed a lady. Sorry if that's a spoiler.

I just wish they would show us more how she is also part alien bird statue

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Khanstant posted:

In like 10 years try Ship of Harkinian, I guarantee whatever is on your list of problems, outside of redesigning the game entirely, it has tweaks to make all those annoying little things go away.

Some of tweaks were things I didn't even think of but once experiencing em go *oh yeah should have always been this way."

Skimming the changelog on the site, it does look good, basically every “Time Saver” entry is exactly the sort of problem fix I would’ve wanted.

I also really like this:

quote:

King Zora moves 5x slower than vanilla speed, making him take roughly 2.5 minutes to move out of the way.

I’m having trouble finding a proper list of the enhancements though

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_bchbtRto0&hd=1

I saw this pop up and I want to know something. he's putting down a maximum of a little over 4300 gift subs if everything on his wishlist for the playstation event happens. I know he can afford it what with that twitch leak showing he makes quite a lot of money and all, but how much does something like that cost a streamer? do they get discounts on handing out gift subs themselves? do they get a certain amount to give out for free? or do they go through the same process as someone viewing their stream and buying gift subs? I see streamers "bet" gift subs pretty often but I've never really been aware of the process of it or if it's a different method or cost to them.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

I saw this pop up and I want to know something. he's putting down a maximum of a little over 4300 gift subs if everything on his wishlist for the playstation event happens. I know he can afford it what with that twitch leak showing he makes quite a lot of money and all, but how much does something like that cost a streamer? do they get discounts on handing out gift subs themselves? do they get a certain amount to give out for free? or do they go through the same process as someone viewing their stream and buying gift subs? I see streamers "bet" gift subs pretty often but I've never really been aware of the process of it or if it's a different method or cost to them.

each sub is 5 bucks, with a cut of that going to the streamer (i dont know what the percentage is these days, but the most popular streamers get the biggest cut) so there would technically be a discount for him buying his own.

so if Bloodborne 2 is announced it'd probably cost him about 3000$ to gift 1000 subs.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Would they do a Bloodborne 2 without Japan Studio? Seems unlikely

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Captain Invictus posted:

if you think that's a lot look up how many subs jerma owes his chat

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They wouldn't need Japan Studio, Bloodborne was Fromsoft.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
This Jerma seems like a scoundrel

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Waffleman_ posted:

They wouldn't need Japan Studio, Bloodborne was Fromsoft.
It was both, but Japan Studio (or another Sony studio like Bluepoint) would have been the ones doing anything further with it. Demon's Souls Remake doesn't have From's name anywhere on it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Okay, but seeing how Demon's Souls was recieved as a remake, do you even want an entirely new Bloodborne without From?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think people liked the remake generally, I thought it was just weirdos like me that hate the new art style

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Taking some time to clean up my 3DS backlog, currently with Shovel Knight: King of Cards. Am I going to have to actually get good at Joustus, or is it easier/more cheeseable than I think it is?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 21, 2023

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

C-Euro posted:

Taking some time to clean up my 3DS backlog, currently with Shovel Knight: King of Cards. Am I actually going to have to actually get good about Joustus, or is it easier/more cheeseable than I think it is?

Joustus is not actually required to beat the game! If you're not going for 100%, you're free to ignore it entirely. Though if you insist on playing it, you'll steadily get more and more busted cards as you go through.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

hatty posted:

I think people liked the remake generally, I thought it was just weirdos like me that hate the new art style

Nah I’m with you. Bloodborne remade by the guys who, in the level who’s storyline is about a yellow demon and mentions a king in yellow, changed all the yellow banners in the level to red.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Nah I’m with you. Bloodborne remade by the guys who, in the level who’s storyline is about a yellow demon and mentions a king in yellow, changed all the yellow banners in the level to red.

Yeesh

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kerrzhe posted:

each sub is 5 bucks, with a cut of that going to the streamer (i dont know what the percentage is these days, but the most popular streamers get the biggest cut) so there would technically be a discount for him buying his own.

so if Bloodborne 2 is announced it'd probably cost him about 3000$ to gift 1000 subs.
lol so then he's ready to drop over twelve grand on this if he gets his dream not-e3 stream

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

lol so then he's ready to drop over twelve grand on this if he gets his dream not-e3 stream

yep. he's filthy rich so it's not a burden + drives engagement with his channel. twitch encourages people to continue their gift subs too so there's probably a decent amount that will keep it going and he'll make more off that.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

I have had a petty vendetta against Bluepoint since they thought they could improve the atmosphere in a Team Ico game by completely changing the lighting

I aspire to be that undeservedly self-assured

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

street fighter 6: it's pretty fun

this is my first real fighting game and, after a million and a half years of playing league, i'd forgotten the fun in trying to learn a new competitive title. just figuring out how to get the basic controls working for me and then pounding my head against training dummies until i figure out some of the basic juri combos is surprisingly engaging

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Vermain posted:

this is my first real fighting game and, after a million and a half years of playing league, i'd forgotten the fun in trying to learn a new competitive title. just figuring out how to get the basic controls working for me and then pounding my head against training dummies until i figure out some of the basic juri combos is surprisingly engaging

i also am having a nice time and also playing juri. i like her vibe (evil, cackling, having a nice time)

i did a casual queue and went 3-0 and that was fun. had been getting my rear end beat by discord folks who all have much more experience than me but that was decent practice too.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
(Tears of the Kingdom) Anyone having the opposite problem Breath of the Wild had with durability? Namely, that weapon rewards feel pointless so far (very early on) because stapling a sword onto another sword makes solder’s sword-sword durable enough that you don’t as frequently break weapons and whatever you found was a lateral option?

On the upside, it is legitimately pretty cool that you care more about fighting stronger and different kinds of enemies now, since you can use the drops that were mostly pointless before as a on-hand stockpile to make stuff like hammers with a moblin’s goofy little afro on top of the crafting new armor and obvious power boost. Kinda excited to find what kinds of properties things like lizalfos and lynel horns have.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Vermain posted:

Kerrzhe posted:

i also am having a nice time and also playing juri. i like her vibe (evil, cackling, having a nice time)

i did a casual queue and went 3-0 and that was fun. had been getting my rear end beat by discord folks who all have much more experience than me but that was decent practice too.

I unironically love this part of fighting games and I am doing the thing again where I am studying how to play a character more than actually playing them lol

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Arzaac posted:

Joustus is not actually required to beat the game! If you're not going for 100%, you're free to ignore it entirely. Though if you insist on playing it, you'll steadily get more and more busted cards as you go through.

Oh good to know, thanks. I'll press on then.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is being disoriented and slightly nauseated the typical initial reaction to Mario Galaxy? (eff Nintendo for making it limited time only on the Switch)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
My reaction was more like magical amazement and holy poo poo this is fun

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

That too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It’s really creative.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone have success connecting their Move and Navigation (forgot about that thing) controllers to PC?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I unironically love this part of fighting games and I am doing the thing again where I am studying how to play a character more than actually playing them lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ji1j5ndXNM

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kerrzhe posted:

i'm saving my creaming for tomorrow and spent most of the night just practicing the basics versus the robots. pretty good feeling when you start beating CPU 5 consistently after getting absolutely blasted for a good hour or two

she's the kind of character i thought i'd like in this game, which is someone with a great deal of behind-the-scenes complexity and an upfront bullshit spam move you can use against less skilled players (her normal whirlwind special) to temporarily feel like a badass

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Rinkles posted:

Is being disoriented and slightly nauseated the typical initial reaction to Mario Galaxy? (eff Nintendo for making it limited time only on the Switch)

I remember tilting my head a lot lol. What an incredible game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Anyone have success connecting their Move and Navigation (forgot about that thing) controllers to PC?

"In order to reliably track the orientation of the controller, we need to calibrate the magnetometer (a compass) on the PS Move and record the direction of your local magnetic field."

this is going to be a journey

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Rinkles posted:

Back in '07 when I picked the game up on launch, this exact thing was my first experience with the game. It made me scared that I wouldn't get to play through this game that seemed cool because it was going to make me ill. Never came up again after that first time, nor when the sequel came out.

hatty posted:

Every time I see that ridiculous clean and sterile UI, it just makes me sad

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Just gotta get your space legs

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Was it ever revealed why they didn't release Galaxy 2 in the 3D collection? Seems like such a weird omission, particularly because they never released it separately outside of it either.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Was it ever revealed why they didn't release Galaxy 2 in the 3D collection? Seems like such a weird omission, particularly because they never released it separately outside of it either.

Could be Yoshi, iirc using the wiimote in Galaxy 1 helps a lot with gathering star bits but isn’t mandatory, whereas I remember needing to use the remote to do some Yoshi stuff in 2. You probably could find a workaround but also that’s implying they cared enough about their timevault remasters to have done that.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Srice posted:

RetroArch is so bad some people have taken to calling it RetroArchnemesis instead.

Ive been thinking about the term "RetroArchnemesis"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'm way over the hill but this poo poo is so insanely cool. Last fighting game I went to internet college for was VF4 vanilla. I studied every single inch of that game but I was never able to find that same equilibrium for another fighter again. Many hours spent scanning VFDC.