Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Hillary Clinton was an awful candidate by all metrics discussed and it falling apart against a loud-mouthed bigot with no restraint isn't all that surprising. But you all are out of your fuckin gourd if you can't acknowledge that the national right-wing media was working to destroy her since she was First Lady of Arkansas, before a lot of posters in this thread were born.

The only people that truly think her loss in 2016 was because her campaign reside in left-wing bubbles online. Go outside and talk to regular people and most of them that opposed Hillary will have had their perception of her colored by forty years of right-wing disinformation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Star Man posted:

Hillary Clinton was an awful candidate by all metrics discussed and it falling apart against a loud-mouthed bigot with no restraint isn't all that surprising. But you all are out of your fuckin gourd if you can't acknowledge that the national right-wing media was working to destroy her since she was First Lady of Arkansas, before a lot of posters in this thread were born.

The only people that truly think her loss in 2016 was because her campaign reside in left-wing bubbles online. Go outside and talk to regular people and most of them that opposed Hillary will have had their perception of her colored by forty years of right-wing disinformation.

Right, because her campaign didn't blow off large swathes of blue collar workers because "For every blue-collar Democrat we lose in western Pennsylvania, we will pick up two moderate Republicans in the suburbs in Philadelphia, and you can repeat that in Ohio and Illinois and Wisconsin."

Was the Right Wing hate machine a large factor? Obviously. But she still stuck the tree branch in her own bicycle spokes by just assuming she was going to waltz on in without having to do any sort of legwork. In the alternate timeline where she actually put in an effort with the people she expected to vote for her, Trump would not have won.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Star Man posted:

She ran the worst campaign in American history and goths results she deserved. How do I know that?

Because she lost to Donald Trump.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Nucleic Acids posted:

She ran the worst campaign in American history and goths results she deserved. How do I know that?

Because she lost to Donald Trump.

Goths don't deserve that!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

the_steve posted:

In the alternate timeline where she actually put in an effort with the people she expected to vote for her, Trump would not have won.

didn't she write a book based on this premise

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nucleic Acids posted:

She ran the worst campaign in American history and goths results she deserved.

Tell that to Jeb

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kith posted:

didn't she write a book based on this premise

Wasn't her conclusion that she was largely blameless, and if only Russia and the Bernie Bros hadn't acted we'd be living in a utopia?

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

“Someone sent me a Facebook post that summed up the dynamic in which we were caught:
BERNIE: I think America should get a pony.
HILLARY: How will you pay for the pony? Where will the pony come from? How will you get Congress to agree to the pony?
BERNIE: Hillary thinks America doesn't deserve a pony.
BERNIE SUPPORTERS: Hillary hates ponies!
HILLARY: Actually, I love ponies.
BERNIE SUPPORTERS: She changed her position on ponies! #whichhillary #witchhillary
HEADLINE: 'Hillary Refuses to Give Every American a Pony"
DEBATE MODERATOR: Hillary, how do you feel when people say you lie about ponies?
WEBSITE HEADLINE: 'Congressional Inquiry into Clinton's Pony Lies'
TWITTER TRENDING: #ponygate

Hillary Rodham Clinton, What Happened”

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

pencilhands posted:

“Someone sent me a Facebook post that summed up the dynamic in which we were caught:
HILLARY: How will you pay for the pony? Where will the pony come from? How will you get Congress to agree to the pony?
BERNIE SUPPORTERS: She changed her position on ponies! #whichhillary #witchhillary
DEBATE MODERATOR: Hillary, how do you feel when people say you lie about ponies?

This isn't the crazy forwarded emails thread

v e: :thejoke: v

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 20, 2023

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Professor Beetus posted:

This isn't the crazy forwarded emails thread

thats a quote from her book

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Seems appropriate that she’s a FWD:FWD:FWD grandma.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That book she published after losing was just pathetic in how much it tried to blame Bernie for her losing, which is just ridiculous

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Star Man posted:

Some might say it was all a vast right-wing conspiracy.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

FlamingLiberal posted:

That book she published after losing was just pathetic in how much it tried to blame Bernie for her losing, which is just ridiculous

If only Bernie, and the Squad for that matter, had a tenth of the actual power that everyone else tells the public they have.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

pencilhands posted:

Also let's not forget the chapter dedicated to a woman dragging her crying college-aged daughter in front of her to beg forgiveness for not VOTING hard enough.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How does one "vote hard"? I've never noticed an emphasis checkbox.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mellow Seas posted:

Press the pen on the paper harder, it counts as two

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Mellow Seas posted:

It's when you vote, flip the ballot over to make the check on both sides, and then write in the same name on the bottom line. In this democracy we vote early, vote often, and vote hard!

Cheesus posted:

Despite only barely fathoming how devastating the consequences of it would be for me, my family, and everyone I know, there's a part of me that irrationally thinks a default would gently caress over this club too.

Like someone else mentioned earlier, it would, but thanks to the exploitative measures baked into society at every level, it's impossible to hurt the people on top without hurting the people beneath them. It's a very effective thing they've got going, where they can be like "but if you do something effective to help people (like striking or real disruption on a systemic scale), you're only causing the people you're trying to help more pain!"

At some point that particular angle will fail for them, but it's been holding strong for a long time now.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Hm, wonder how USCE is going these days...

Star Man posted:

Hillary Clinton was an awful candidate by all metrics discussed and

ah

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

Star Man posted:

Was right wing media in 2016 much more than Fox News? I agree she’s had a target on her back since long before her presidential run, but i don’t think it’s reasonable to blame one news channel for her loss

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

UKJeff posted:

Was right wing media in 2016 much more than Fox News? I agree she’s had a target on her back since long before her presidential run, but i don’t think it’s reasonable to blame one news channel for her loss

Fox News is a relative newcomer to the scene compared to all the AM radio types.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like I said, for some reason her campaign seemed utmost confident in being able to alienate huge swathes of their base to pick up exactly the demographics that had been most specifically targeted for the decades-long campaign to demonize her.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

UKJeff posted:

Talk radio ruled the minds of white suburban dads all through the 90s.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fox News also didn't exist until the Clinton years, so they got to hone their style attacking the Clintons

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's one thing to spend decades building a countermeasure specifically around a particular opponent, it's another thing for decades later said opponent to just... walk directly into it like they apparently never noticed it was there.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's one thing to spend decades building a countermeasure specifically around a particular opponent, it's another thing for decades later said opponent to just... walk directly into it like they apparently never noticed it was there.

That's one thing I always liked about Hillary Clinton, the person. She was always pretty openly hostile to the idea that she should be anything. Most of her fans from the earlier years of her publicity liked her because she was openly derisive of the way she was expected to be in a baking contest, or that she ought to support her man despite his extremely public infidelity. The moralistic traditional crowd hated her more than anything, so naturally a lot of feminists and nonconformists really vibed with her. Don't get me wrong, I don't (and didn't) want her to be president, but her existance being anathema to the shittiest people on the planet is kinda nice. Speaking purely from spite, ofc. :v:

Politically speaking those traits are unbelievably terrible from a strategic standpoint, but it does a lot to explain why she has so much popularity when she's not running for office. I guess not so much any more, what with losing to trump, but the answer she gave to "what's the biggest threat to our democracy" is every bit as true now as when she said it. Personally I'm a fan of "gently caress all y'all losers" Hillary Clinton, but that one has to take a backseat to triangulation queen Hillary Clinton, and that's honestly sad.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Star Man posted:

It's her campaign that picked a candidate who couldn't overcome the other side's smear campaign. So it is indeed her campaign's fault they lost.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Hillary was a perfectly good candidate who didn't take rightwing populism seriously and failed because of it.

Please, for the love of god, all of you see someone so you can talk about the trauma of 2016 so we don't have to reenact it every single week.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Jaxyon posted:

Hillary was a perfectly good candidate who didn't take rightwing populism seriously and failed because of it.

Please, for the love of god, all of you see someone so you can talk about the trauma of 2016 so we don't have to reenact it every single week.

I think we need a USPE - 2016 Election thread.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I actually thought that the debt ceiling was a uniquely American institution, but apparently Denmark has one as well.

Hopefully, the Danish Mitch McConnell ended up as an Electrician instead of politician.

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1659631596574523415

Not gonna lie, when I saw the graphic on my phone, I thought it was gonna be a "lol United States and Alaska" punchline. Denmark came out of nowhere.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Please don't relitigate the 2016 election

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I actually thought that the debt ceiling was a uniquely American institution, but apparently Denmark has one as well.

Hopefully, the Danish Mitch McConnell ended up as an Electrician instead of politician.

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1659631596574523415

i like how birdsite thumbnails makes Denmark barely visible. never mind using a shade of red that kinda makes the tiny thing also fade together.

why is graphic design for modern stuff kinda terrible inn the modern age?

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

PhazonLink posted:

I think it's a function of how media mostly works at this point. There are still actual news programs, but for the most part it all exists to be as small and immediately shareable as possible. This sort of happened with soundbytes a few decades ago, but the prevalence of insta-news and twitter grabs means that the information itself is massively disincentivized in favor of catchy 1-line titles that the article/post/clip/graph itself doesn't need to even begin to support.

You could probably post something like "boys who read articles found to have 20% higher testosterone than peers!" followed by like, 1 or 2 sentences, a picture of a muscle teen, and then 2 paragraphs of lorem ipsum and it'd be shared 'round the globe instantly with maybe one or two people reading it and trying to explain why it was wrong and dumb -- naturally all of their comments would be filtered out by the blue checks talking about some imagined thing about clickbait turning their kids trans.

It used to be you never wanted to bury the lede, but the whole industry of "she ate haram for 3 days and you won't believe what happened next!" murdered that whole paradigm.

e2a: as you can probably tell, I suck at the current media environment.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also the current media environment is literally all failkid daycare by now.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

PhazonLink posted:

It's not emphasized and is increasingly done by non professionals; or even trained people at all. I was basically forced out of the industry due to lower compensation and an emphasis on clip art, templates and the assembly line/fast food approach to the job. A lot of it has to do with slow death of print as well. It takes more skill and knowledge to create for a printing press than a web page and especially a phone.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

PhazonLink posted:

In the time-honored tradition of answering rhetorical questions, and according to Edward Tufte: It was always poo poo, but old-school methods were costlier so people had to think more when they wanted to print a graphic. Sometimes they still thought poorly.

A concept I got from his stuff was "data ink" which is the amount of ink (real or virtual) spent on a graphic. Usually, less is better. It contrasts better and usually means some rigor went into the graphic.

He really hates pie charts due to consuming data ink and also obscuring linear data with area. Maps like that diagram are also on the poo poo list precisely for what you saw with Denmark disappearing. It might as well have been Malta or Singapore or something for all the good that thumbnail did. Actually, that thumbnail really does try to state it's the United States mainland and Alaska.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I think I remember one of my professors saying I/we the students should get pratice and get good with just using black and white patterns for data vis stuff. because asking for color in publishing was expensive, unheard of, and expensive.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

In my opinion, it's an increasing focus on looking good over looking useful, at least partially due to the lifting of technological limitations and the streamlining of the design process allowing middle managers much greater control over the outcome.

In the print era, managers and editors were limited in how much they could dictate the appearance, because the physical constraints and considerations of printing and ink put a big damper on how much flexibility they really had. These days, the boss can personally stand over the designer's shoulder and pick the colors they think look best on a huge high-resolution monitor.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

PhazonLink posted:

I think I remember one of my professors saying I/we the students should get pratice and get good with just using black and white patterns for data vis stuff. because asking for color in publishing was expensive, unheard of, and expensive.

I remember back in college/technical school, one of my teachers claimed in no uncertain terms that floppy disks would never go away because they were so universally useful.
This was back when thumbdrives were still fairly new and more of a status symbol than anything else to prove you were the biggest IT nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

the_steve posted:

I remember back in college/technical school, one of my teachers claimed in no uncertain terms that floppy disks would never go away because they were so universally useful.
This was back when thumbdrives were still fairly new and more of a status symbol than anything else to prove you were the biggest IT nerd.

They haven't gone away in certain industries.